[GUIDE/TUTORIAL/HOWTO] LG G2 D802 stock to Android 11

Search This thread

Supanse

Sep 12, 2022
Thanks a lot. All worked well. Phone is now rooted and working on Ver 11. But when I try to to go to recovery mode (Power off Then Hold Vol down & Power button then after seeing LG logo release both buttons and after 2 secs again press both buttons). I am not entering the TWRP recovery screen. The screen shows Factory reset erase all data . Did try Autorec, but it says that Loki toolkit missing.
Please help. Need to flash another ROM.

djibe89

May 24, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Google Pixel 4a
Thanks a lot. All worked well. Phone is now rooted and working on Ver 11. But when I try to to go to recovery mode (Power off Then Hold Vol down & Power button then after seeing LG logo release both buttons and after 2 secs again press both buttons). I am not entering the TWRP recovery screen. The screen shows Factory reset erase all data . Did try Autorec, but it says that Loki toolkit missing.
Please help. Need to flash another ROM.
Hi, I don't understand if you see the TWRP recovery logo or LG's recovery ?

NumLLock

Sep 29, 2022
Thank you very much. I managed to flash Lineage with no problem. I flashed MindtheGapps and i have a question. Can i the update the firmware from the settings without any problem or do i need to flash rom everytime when there is a new uptade ?

djibe89

May 24, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Google Pixel 4a
Thank you very much. I managed to flash Lineage with no problem. I flashed MindtheGapps and i have a question. Can i the update the firmware from the settings without any problem or do i need to flash rom everytime when there is a new uptade ?
Hi, I don't have the phone anymore.
You may try now you know how to use recovery in case of problems.

Fede Fake

Sep 2, 2021
OnePlus 7T
Hi, i installed this ROM but the LTE wasn't functioning. I restore the phone, with the lg tool with original rom to check if was the phone or a bug.

After that i flash another rom and i do a mistake, i have HARD BRICK the phone.
I need a file named "TOOLEXE" to restore my phone but i can't find it anywhere because every link is shutdown.

Someone have this file? i wanna save this phone

MediumDuty

Nov 22, 2022
Hi, After spending days trying to fix my mums phones I now broken her backup one too so decided better to sign up here for help.

One click root recovery didn't work for me so used KingOroot as OP suggested, flashed twrp and updated but on flashing the rom I got
'E: unable to decrypt FBE device'
and
'updater process ended with error:1

Have done much searching but dont want to do further damage like this suggestion; "First flash this zip " https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=24411628330025030 " Thats it.'.
Anyone know if that will work or any other suggestions. I backed up the original rom but an weary to try anything other with out some advice.

If I can get it right there should be some images attached.

Thanks in advance
IMG_20221122_074407.jpg
IMG_20221122_082343.jpg
IMG_20221122_084917.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [GUIDE/TUTORIAL/HOWTO] LG G2 D802 stock to Android 11
    [GUIDE/TUTORIAL/HOWTO] LG G2 LG-D802 (Unlocked/International) stock to Android 11 R/LineageOS 18.1 with all files included

This detailed step-by-step guide helps you transform your LG G2 D802 to a powerful one with Android 11.
    I wrote this because everything I read was incomplete or outdated.

Make sure your phone is a compatible LG G2. In Android, go to Settings > General > About phone > Hardware information > Model number is LG-D802.
    If not, quit this tutorial.

### I'll make a few comments like this, PLEASE READ THEM !
    ### DO NOT CHECK FOR ANDROID UPDATES (we'll see this later).
    ### Netflix and Disney+ won't work.

CHANGELOG

v1. Initial release for Android 11

1) DOWNLOAD

- djibe LG G2 d802 pack: https://bit.ly/djibe-lgg2-d802-pack
    (contains LG USB drivers + LG UP firmware flash tool + LGG2-D802-OneClickRootRecoveryV1.1 by somboons + TWRP 3.3.1-0 by blastagator + Magisk root).
    Unzip files.

+ ROM LineageOS 18.1 Official: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-lineageos-18-1-official-d80x-unofficial-ls980-vs980.4186013/
    Download latest build here: https://download.lineageos.org/d802

+ BiTGapps Package ARM 11: https://github.com/BiTGApps/BiTGApps-Release/releases
    or MindTheGApps ARM 11: http://downloads.codefi.re/jdcteam/javelinanddart/gapps

+ Charge phone to 100%

No command line will be used ! No need to be a geek.

2) INSTALL USB DRIVERS

Install LG USB drivers (you unzipped earlier).

Then plug phone to PC in File transfer mode (Media device MTP option).
    Collect all .jpg or .mp4

Use an app like Backupyourmobile to backup texts, contacts, etc.
    Make sure Google account is synced, WhatsApp backups etc...
    Check that backup is located on microSD card.
    Then copy the backup on your PC.

Go to Settings > General > About phone > Status > IMEI.
    Note EMEI (15 digits, just in case) !

3) UPGRADE TO ANDROID 5 LOLLIPOP

Check OS version: go to Settings > General > About phone > Software information

- If Android is 4.4.2: follow this chapter
    - If Android is already 5: move to next chapter

Note down Software version. Mine is D80220g-208-01
    Download firmware from: https://lg-firmwares.com/lg-d802-firmwares/
    Download firmware for Android 5.0.x Lollipop having the generic Region (and no brand) for your country.
    UK or English spoken (use this by default): https://lg-firmwares.com/downloads-file/1176/D80230d_00
    France: https://lg-firmwares.com/downloads-file/680/D80230d_00
    Germany: https://lg-firmwares.com/downloads-file/572/D80230d_00
    Italy: https://lg-firmwares.com/downloads-file/1289/D80230d_00

During download, go to folder LGUP_LG/ and install LGUP_Install_Ver_1_14_3.msi.
    Then install LGUP_8974_DLL_Ver_0_5_CODEFIRE.msi

Back to the phone: power it off.
    Enter Download Mode: hold Volume+ and plug USB into your PC,
    ### Or try with Volume+ + Power. Hold both 3 seconds, connect to USB and release.
    release buttons when Download mode screen is displayed on phone.
    ### If Download mode is missing, you'll have to use AutoRec (thx @lgkar): https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/autorec-kitkat-recovery-installer.2715496/

### Warning all data will be erased from phone, make sure to backup everything.

Launch LGUP from Windows Start menu.
    It will detect D802.
    Click on UPGRADE and in File Path select the firmware with *.kdz extension you downloaded.

Click on Start.
    Don't touch anything. Lock the kids in the basement during flash.
    Phone will restart automatically to ... Android 5 !

Disconnect phone from USB and close LGUP.

3) ROOT LG G2 AND FLASH TWRP 2.8 RECOVERY

We need root to flash a custom recovery.
    No bootloader unlock is needed on LG G2.

Enable USB debugging: go to Settings > General > About phone > Software info.
    Tap 7 times on Build number to unlock Developer options.

Back to Settings > General > Developer options.
    Check ON USB debugging option.

Connect phone to USB again.

I prefer to disable antivirus for root (we never know about false positives).
    Go to folder LGG2-D802-OneClickRootRecoveryV1.1/
    and double click on OneClick_ROOT_RECOVERY.bat (by awesome @somboons).

When Windows command is displaying:
    Code:
    Waiting for device...
    Allow USB debugging from the phone and check Always allow from this computer.

Root will continue.

When command prompts: Please press Ctrl+C ...

From keyboard, press Ctrl + C combo.
    Then: N
    ### If you exit command or fail at this step, like me, just power phone off (long press Power).

When phone restarts, you will see that SuperSU app is installed. Phone is rooted.

7) UPDATE TWRP RECOVERY TO 3.3

Reboot to recovery: power off phone.
    Then hold Power + Volume down until LG logo shows up, release buttons and then press again until recovery shows up.

### Like me you fail booting to Recovery ? Let phone start.
    ### Go back to LGG2-D802-OneClickRootRecoveryV1.1/ folder.
    ### In the Windows address bar, enter: cmd and press Enter.
    ### It will launch a command prompt in the active directory.
    ### Then enter:
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery
    ### Phone will restart to recovery.

Welcome to TWRP 2.8.
    Normaly you can see LG-D802 device from Windows explorer (besides your hard drives).
    ### If not, go to Mount, check Data and tap on Enable MTP.

Copy twrp-3.3.1-0-d802-bump-blastagator-signed.zip to root folder of phone (called Internal Storage).
    From TWRP recovery, go to Install > twrp-3.3.1-0-d802-bump*.zip and Swipe to Flash.

Go back to Home menu > Reboot > Recovery.

Recovery restarts to brand new 3.3 version.

Check Never show this screen during boot again and Swipe to Allow Modifications.

Go to Settings > General (first tab).
    Make sure 3rd option "Use rm -rf instead of formatting" is UNCHECKED.

9) WIPE PARTITIONS

Disconnect phone from PC.
    Now go to Wipe > Advanced Wipe.
    Select Dalvik / ART Cache, System, Data, Internal Storage and Cache and Swipe to Wipe.

Go to Wipe > Format Data.
    Type: yes and confirm with bottom right icon.

Tap on Home button > Reboot > Recovery > Swipe to Reboot.
    ### Always uncheck "Install TWRP app" options.

10) FLASH ANDROID, GAPPS AND MAGISK ROOT

On restart, check Never show this screen during boot again and Swipe to Allow Modifications.

Connect phone to PC.
    Copy ROM + BITGAPPS + Magisk on Internal Storage folder.
    Disconnect phone.

Go to Install > select lineage-18.1*.zip, and Add More Zips,
    then bitgapps*.zip and Swipe to confirm Flash
    Be patient.
    ### If it fails, install zips 1 by 1.

Then back to Home > Reboot > Recovery.
    ### Always uncheck "Install TWRP app" options.

OPTIONAL: go back to TWRP Install > Magisk*.zip
    When done message prompts, tap on Wipe Cache/Dalvik and Swipe to Wipe, wait.
    Disconnect phone from PC.
    Then tap on Reboot System.
    Let the phone boot (about 5 minutes).

11) ANDROID 11

Configure Android as you like.

### Over The Air (OTA) updates: download file > reboot to recovery > flash ROM and GApps > Wipe cache > Reboot
    Reflash BitGApps after each update. Not needed with BitGApps. Thx to @Pierfai

- Netflix and Disney+ don't work
    - Go to Settings > About.
    At bottom, tap 7 times on Build number. You activated Developer options.
    Go to Settings > System > Avdanced > Developer options.
    Set Windows animation scale, Transition animation scale and Animator duration scale to 0.5x.
    - Double Tap to Wake (D2W)
    Go to Settings > Display > Advanced and activate Tap to wake.
    - Tap to Sleep
    Go to Settings > Display > Advanced and activate Tap to sleep.
    Double tap on status bar to sleep.
    - Pixel gestures
    Go to Settings > System > Advanced > Gestures > System navigation, select Gesture navigation.

Enjoy,

djibe

Thanks: @aleasto, @somboons, @blastagator, LG Fans site, LineageOS team, BiTGapps team, TWRP team, topjohnwu
    Hi djibe,

thank you for this great guide. I followed it with a little extra work: I had to run AutoRec once to re-enable the download mode on the LG G2 d802 which was on stock 4.4.2 (also LGUP was not detecting my device: used Uppercut to got it recognized correctly). Second issue might be due to my own stupid way of trying all kind of tools to get the download mode working (again Autorec helped me --> Just in case someone else has similar issues).

Only real problem I had with your guide was at point 11 after installing LineageOS: The device got stuck in a bootloop to TWRP. I guess I solved it following this note:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...thermal-f2fs-2019-12-23.2898705/post-55892416

WARNING 2: DO NOT ENCRYPT F2FS - ROM and RECOVERY will BOTH bootloop and you'll be doing back to stock method!!!

If you want to use F2FS:
    1)
    Make sure your kernel and ramdisk support f2fs (the dev of your ROM/kernel should have f2fs support noted). Dorimanx stock kernel as well as many AOSP kernels have full f2fs support.
    2) Install and boot into my recovery.
    3) Go to Wipe, Advanced Wipe, select /data, then click Change Partition Type. Select f2fs, and it will convert. Repeat this process for /cache.
    4) Reboot the recovery, NOT reboot to system. DO NOT DO ANYTHING ELSE UNTIL YOU REBOOT RECOVERY!!!
    5)
    Reboot OS. That's it! You're ready to go.

Actually I didn't want to encypt anything (not sure where I should have done this???) or have a clue what are the pros/cons of using F2FS but I converted the mentioned partitions and installed LineageOS agian: Working without boot loop! :)

What I recognized during the installation in TWRP: I got a red error message "E:Unable to decrypt FBE device" do I need to worry about this (basically I just want a fresher Android and the usual Gapps on the device than 4.4, nothing fancy)? Or did I miss an important point in you guide?

Thank you!

Edit: I guess I forgot to reboot between installing Lineage, Bitgapps and Magisk! --> no need to format the /data and /cache partition
    Hi guys, is this guide fully working ? I've just bought an old Lg G2 for my dad and I'd like to try flash android 11.
    Yes it works. But you may have to take note of my previous message.
    I just flashed two LG G2 last week. Happily using now.
    Ok... after a few problems to enter in download mode (it is needed to press only up volume and then connect to pc, not power button + up volume) I've succesfully flashed Android 5 and I'm ready to follow the sequent steps...
    Hi @Pierfai , glad you did it !!