• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Guide][Tutorial] Root TWRP LG V20 using Dirtysanta[Most Variants][Noobfriendly]

Search This thread

ardian1899

Oct 26, 2012
Thanks for creating this thread.
But somehow I have a problem. My phone is F800L.
After successfully rooting on Nougat, the phone is considerably slow.
Any solution perhaps?

Thanks again

Good day,
Here's the modified dirtysanta method to root LG V20 and install TWRP. This guide will help you in rooting your device with much easier situation.

Last edited:

strapdad

Apr 17, 2019
LS997 (September 2016 security patch), got to the end and couldn't reboot into TWRP recovery. The device is recognized in ADB while in fastboot but when I'm at the secure startup it's unrecognized, like USB debugging is disabled.

Vortell

May 27, 2009
Moto E 2015
Hisense Sero 7 Pro
LS997 (September 2016 security patch), got to the end and couldn't reboot into TWRP recovery. The device is recognized in ADB while in fastboot but when I'm at the secure startup it's unrecognized, like USB debugging is disabled.
I had a similar issue to solve it I had to run the script then after it started and it was waiting for it to boot into fastbboot. I had to manually boot into it. The command to boot into fastbboot wasn't working... It could be due to adb debug privileges... maybe I never authorized it before running the script. If adb isn't showing up at all could be mode your USB connection is set to handle. Makes sure defiant is charge. Also Make sure TWRP is in the right folder and named the same as one in package. If you are using a different twrp (newer). Otherwise it should work fine.

strapdad

Apr 17, 2019
I had a similar issue to solve it I had to run the script then after it started and it was waiting for it to boot into fastbboot. I had to manually boot into it. The command to boot into fastbboot wasn't working... It could be due to adb debug privileges... maybe I never authorized it before running the script. If adb isn't showing up at all could be mode your USB connection is set to handle. Makes sure defiant is charge. Also Make sure TWRP is in the right folder and named the same as one in package. If you are using a different twrp (newer). Otherwise it should work fine.

I managed to fix this issue, but then when I booted into the device setup (Languages, Accessibility, ect.) I got a ¨com.android.phone stopped working¨ popup that immediately reappears when you close it.
When I tried to fix it by doing a factory reset in the settings (NOT the volume down menu or TWRP), it wouldn´t boot to the system anymore. Every time I restart it sends me to TWRP.

Vortell

May 27, 2009
Moto E 2015
Hisense Sero 7 Pro
I managed to fix this issue, but then when I booted into the device setup (Languages, Accessibility, ect.) I got a ¨com.android.phone stopped working¨ popup that immediately reappears when you close it.
When I tried to fix it by doing a factory reset in the settings (NOT the volume down menu or TWRP), it wouldn´t boot to the system anymore. Every time I restart it sends me to TWRP.
If you have TWRP you are basically done. Go into TWRP and format the phone. Download a ROM to SD card or adb push ROM to the phone then flash. Make sure you have the right phone type. Also if you flash something like AO room and remove the wrong thing in there you might get an issue like that. Honestly I would not even waste time trying to find out what is causing the issue I would just reflash. If you think TWRP is there issue you can use it to reflash. If on stock check the kernel. If it's h990 D's good luck

strapdad

Apr 17, 2019
If you have TWRP you are basically done. Go into TWRP and format the phone. Download a ROM to SD card or adb push ROM to the phone then flash. Make sure you have the right phone type. Also if you flash something like AO room and remove the wrong thing in there you might get an issue like that. Honestly I would not even waste time trying to find out what is causing the issue I would just reflash. If you think TWRP is there issue you can use it to reflash. If on stock check the kernel. If it's h990 D's good luck
Few questions.
1. Which roms would be the most compatible/stable with LS997?
2. Should I flash a different stock firmware rom (such as H910), flash a custom rom, or flash my stock?
3. Where do I check kernel? What do I do with that information?

Vortell

May 27, 2009
Moto E 2015
Hisense Sero 7 Pro
Few questions.
2. Should I flash a different stock firmware rom (such as H910), flash a custom rom, or flash my stock?
For me custom rom are only good if they have volte. It only matters for TMobile though due to band with allocation. Not sure on Sprint. If volte matters to it for you the only option is stock. I would run AO (alpha Omega) ROM for stock. Otherwise it's what you like. I prefer custom ROMs that have trust(permissions manger). Honestly there are only two current custom rom options: lineage or Resurrection remix (rr). RR is getting older now. Lineage though it's pie 9.0. I would use it if I didn't care about volte like when I was on Verizon.

C D

Few questions.
First, if you haven't already done so, update TWRP to the latest version.

If you are using the phone on the Sprint network, then I can recommend ClassicRom along with flashing the mk2000 BTTF kernel. Note that if you don't have a Sprint SIM card or are not in a Sprint signal area, then you might not get past the initial setup screen of this ROM.
Alpha Omega ROM (Nougat) (download links found here) also works on Sprint, but it is a Verizon hybrid ROM, so Sprint activation/update profile/update PRL and FM radio don't work on it.
I think Sprint VoLTE only exists on phones that came out last year or newer.

All stock-based ROMs that work with the LS997 are limited to Android Nougat (7.0). If you want something more updated, then you'll have to go with any of the LineageOS-based ROMs, but you will lose the FM radio and some or all of the second screen functionality.

I wouldn't cross-flash firmware from a different V20 variant unless you really know what you're doing.

silverrose

Apr 30, 2010
This problem exactly. And I'm still having it. Any suggestions? How did you get around it, ankade?

I at least know how to reset the static screen, thankfully, but I really want root.
perhaps the same problem as above ?

fastboot NOT answering to the computer!

pUjMkZj.jpg

see this post & thread for details and link to more pics

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=78366843&postcount=3796

when phone is in fastmode, computer cannot see it

what can I do?

ankade

Apr 21, 2014
adb works but fastboot does not

> fastboot NOT answering to the computer!

This problem exactly. And I'm still having it. Any suggestions? How did you get around it, ankade?

Not sure because long ago.

Perhaps by uninstalling the LG windows driver, and reinstalling it? Or by choosing the right version of the adb / fastboot tools? I do remember that I finally found a way to solve that.

I have well documented what I found out back then. Check out this

* thread https://forum.xda-developers.com/v20/help/mobile-data-v20-h910-dirtysanta-los-t3882014

* post https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=78383661&postcount=3806

My personal experience: v20 sucks for LineageOS - after what felt like 100 hours of increasing despair, trying out millions of things, following partially good but partially incomplete manuals, suddenly finding out stuff that turned out to be documented in yet another previously unmentioned thread, an only tiny group of V20 users here which however partially hate LineageOS (and instead run some other OS), and finally even reading that another guy got only as far as me (TWRP, rooted, LOS, but then no mobile Internet), so it might possibly be a faulty LOS-for-v20 (?) ... and anyways bottomline a not even much faster (only bigger, in terms of RAM & screen) hardware ...

... I have gone back to Samsung S5. Hooray. Amaying device, fantastic community, spot on manuals, and a much much easier routine to liberate it. Very happy.

The V20 is now my "Wifi tablet", so at least it wasn't a total ecological catastrophe. Perhaps one day, I might play with some stock ROM variant for this v20, then perhaps I can re-enable mobile internet on it?

Having said all that, I wish you all the best, @silverrose. May you be more successful than me.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Vortell

May 27, 2009
Moto E 2015
Hisense Sero 7 Pro
None of that is true for me and I came from s5 community to v20 only thing that was harder was unlocking bootloader. He honestly had issues but it seemed to be isolated to him and one other. I did it to Brightpoint us996 and to a h915. Both the oddest models you can find State side. Both either fine on los 15. There is issue with mic due to closed source nature of the very robust mic setup on LG v20. It's mainly for speaker phone. You can fix it by taking to the right mic and turning sensitivity up. There are some mixer_path edits either here in v20 forum or LG G6 ones can't remember where. Camera data all other talk with fine. Only reason I don't use it it's once again sure to closed source VoLTE implementation. On T-Mobile it's hard due to all the know frequencies being LTE... No other carrier had this issue though.

Dec 29, 2014
So it's really interesting guide. I'm new to V20 development. Previously i had V10 G4 G3 and G2. And V20 unlocking prodecure is most hard to do. Anyway after dirty santa. Is it possible to go back stock and remove dirty santa? I'm bit confused. And which version ARB debug (dirty santa aboot) bootloader has? If i want relock bootloader using kdz how to do that? My V20's model is F800.

Vortell

May 27, 2009
Moto E 2015
Hisense Sero 7 Pro
So it's really interesting guide. I'm new to V20 development. Previously i had V10 G4 G3 and G2. And V20 unlocking prodecure is most hard to do. Anyway after dirty santa. Is it possible to go back stock and remove dirty santa? I'm bit confused. And which version ARB debug (dirty santa aboot) bootloader has? If i want relock bootloader using kdz how to do that? My V20's model is F800.
It is possible to go back unless you have Anti-roll-back(ARB). As for if f800 has ARB I don't think so but think so. I think there are only two that have ARB. H918 and I think h910 or ls993 something like that. You will have to find out about that from someone else, read another guide or if you are on os after December 2016 use the dial code to check it. The dial code thing you would have to look up as well though. I thought was the same as used on v10 only different model numbers. Only thing I remember about the code is it letters spelled something obvious out. Honestly pretty sure every variation had been asked about already, so use search at top of page or Google. The last hold out when I came here was bpt-us996.

halfspec

May 16, 2011
I have a quick question regarding recovery mode.

I have made it to step 8 and when my VS995 boots into its system it is asking for a password which I assume is the encryption / encryption error.
My problem is, the tutorial says "Now boot into recovery mode either by entering “5” then “1” or by key method."
Using the root kit's 5 + 1 option doesn't work as it can't detect the device when it's on the encryption / password screen.
Likewise, I am unable to get any type of key entry to work.
Most guides say to hold down the "volume down" key then press and hold the power button until recovery mode boots. I've done this 20 different ways now either holding until I get to the encryption screen or holding for x seconds then releasing, etc etc. I can't get it to do anything other than to boot to system. The thing that seems to be throwing everything in the trash is the bootloader unlock message / your device is corrupt message. I've tried holding power + volume down through this error message and still no cigar. Going crazy as the encryption error is now down to 18 of 30 tries now :(

I've also tried holding down the volume key then plugging in the power connector and it goes straight to fastboot.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Lane

Phoenix591

Oct 15, 2017
I have a quick question regarding recovery mode.

I have made it to step 8 and when my VS995 boots into its system it is asking for a password which I assume is the encryption / encryption error.
My problem is, the tutorial says "Now boot into recovery mode either by entering “5” then “1” or by key method."
Using the root kit's 5 + 1 option doesn't work as it can't detect the device when it's on the encryption / password screen.
Likewise, I am unable to get any type of key entry to work.
Most guides say to hold down the "volume down" key then press and hold the power button until recovery mode boots. I've done this 20 different ways now either holding until I get to the encryption screen or holding for x seconds then releasing, etc etc. I can't get it to do anything other than to boot to system. The thing that seems to be throwing everything in the trash is the bootloader unlock message / your device is corrupt message. I've tried holding power + volume down through this error message and still no cigar. Going crazy as the encryption error is now down to 18 of 30 tries now :(

I've also tried holding down the volume key then plugging in the power connector and it goes straight to fastboot.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Lane
ok, so since the system has tried to boot into regular android reflash twrp in fastboot (pull the battery afterwards, do NOT use fastboot reboot), then the SECRET (apparently since most guides don't include it for whatever reason) to getting into recovery with the power and volume buttons
is, hold volume down, press power until the screen turns on, and then tap power repeatedly until the menu appears, hit factory reset and twrp will boot. go into the wipe menu, then format data, then hit reboot (in twrp) then recovery to restart twrp to ensure that is fully applied, then install magisk (or supersu if you like Chinese companies), from there you can install whatever rom or kernel you want.

halfspec

May 16, 2011
ok, so since the system has tried to boot into regular android reflash twrp in fastboot (pull the battery afterwards, do NOT use fastboot reboot), then the SECRET (apparently since most guides don't include it for whatever reason) to getting into recovery with the power and volume buttons
is, hold volume down, press power until the screen turns on, and then tap power repeatedly until the menu appears, hit factory reset and twrp will boot. go into the wipe menu, then format data, then hit reboot (in twrp) then recovery to restart twrp to ensure that is fully applied, then install magisk (or supersu if you like Chinese companies), from there you can install whatever rom or kernel you want.

Thank you so much! You were spot on! I can't believe that's not more front and center in more guides concerning the v20's recovery mode!

Thank you very much for the help. I was able to move forward with my root and I'm now posting from a lineage16 install :)

Lane

bccrosby

Jul 11, 2017
Can you tell me my LG v20 vs995 device has unlocked bootloader dirty Santa but somehow it gets phenomenon every time I boot into twrp or restart it vibrating continuously until If I can access the main screen, I will switch back to the silent mode, it will just stop vibrating, and when I reboot, it will be continuously vibrating, thanks to my friends to help me, thank you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good day,
    Here's the modified dirtysanta method to root LG V20 and install TWRP. This guide will help you in rooting your device with much easier situation.

Before you begin:
    (Your phone's internal storage will be wiped or simply formatted or more simply erased)

(You will observe a static boot screen on each boot on some variants)
    (These instructions are specifically done using root package 4.0. Some steps will be different if you use other version)
    Read this carefully and completely. In this tutorial, I will show you how to root your LG V20 using DirtySanta method.This method is currently working for devices mentioned below in working device headings. So, you are warned not to try this on any other device (or not mentioned device) because this might brick your device. If you're on stock rom with Google's security patch of January 2017 or later then you need to flash a firmware with December 2016 or earlier security patch. This method flashes a debug bootloader, So, if you try to re-lock your bootloader it will brick your device.*
    And most important before beginning, read 4th post carefully.

Currently, LS997 (Sprint Variant) cannot return to stock because there is no KDZ available for these devices (they mostly don't release TOT, KDZ).
    For H910:
    If your phone is on non-rootable firmware you can cross flash a H915 or US995 kdz with December 2016 patch by using Patched LGUP and then proceed to root.
    If you are faced any problem you can ask help, I will try my best to help but can't promise and blamed if your device is bricked. Always process is root only if you have enough patience and experience to deal with brick and bring phones back to life.

Working Devices:
    - Verizon (VS995)
    - Sprint (LS997)
    - ATT (H910)
    - Korean(F800L)
    - USS996 (BPT, UCL)
    - Canadian (H915) --> Follow this Method (Specially for H915)
    again don't try on others you may face a brick. But if you're so much courageos to try it on others devices then tell me your experience (if works).. DO NOT TRY THIS ON ANY OTHER VARIANT, YOUR PHONE WILL BRICK (INCLUDING BUT NO LIMITED TO H918)

Required Things:​
    All things that you require for this process can be found in 2nd post.

Preparation:
    1: Download files from download section. (Always download latest root package so any bug is removed & automation is improved)
    2: Install Terminal Emulator on your phone.
    3: Extract root package.
    4: Install “ADB” through “ADBSteup.exe” from Software Folder
    Optional Either copy root zip (SuperSU or MAGISK) to external Sdcard of phone or wait till process to end so you can copy it after formatting internal storage from TWRP
    6: LG Driver can be found in Software folder (Install it, if not installed already)

Steps:
    Bootloader Unlocking:
    1: Navigate to extracted Root Toolkit

hDBoMR_WTH1iLMQp3DdZGu8erETvtU9_g-mARYA_3QaIJU5adCty7jEDKFl6GMzURukHurhgcB5JBXdfnf7RmcEu31ZQ7wkzRFNf5w=w1280-h1024-rw-no

2: Run "JustRunMe.cmd".

oWArKVwlqo0l6fEFkSe5Cf0UtF5hbc9NLSp0E6WWlXeq9xwrGbt_BPTX04KtAi9KD6VvobiB789u7wiiileoPO9WnPmW_IXvs6Gcpw=w1280-h1024-rw-no

3: Enter "1" to begin process and follow on-screen information. All steps will start automatically one-by-one.

5NYoKiMe029p6U7H9VMp7JhOEMwm3Xic0xQC2bP0PdZNY47qKr2n_QIOdxTWwFklgaqN0yWR-RJS161sGIZgcf0OkRIxmTB3V7KB0A=w1280-h1024-rw-no

1VwE0lsSCi-JJhZiFy_j8PPwyuYfE0mlmQ4OoANJXoFcN0W1aadJMjH-3TWE5ZKZgdGvVrIg3sFookbmuH1NvftFpvzr1IyehyLeIA=w1280-h1024-rw-no

EBDnUZoHsEZGfCMSa9MYLZLxYKSUXCdiCztD25UvRx7WgWtilen9ZIxFKglWXp7aeChNSSzyXBmRqXZfb8Jc1hT5iMyx-Xa9tlLIlA=w1280-h1024-rw-no

4: When prompted open terminal emulator and perform following commands. (Commands are also described in respective scripts).
    Code:
     id

check it output if it says ”Context = untrusted_app”. If it say so then you're fine to go to next step or you will have to began from step 1.

P1%2BTerminal%2BID.png

Code:
    applypatch /system/bin/atd /storage/emulated/0/dirtysanta

5: Now bring Logcat window to front and wait till it says you to start step 2.
    Press any key on main "JustRunme.cmd" and it will start 2nd step automatically.

9rGdj6p_q1NuqK67u_iINapcnj5zBAUd59dZZvwyzVJ5POGUAibzyGQmNv-mrC5oTojA46sOe-7ekAhmU0_EcFjdoY0LUFxk8Ap42g=w1280-h1024-rw-no

it will boot your device into bootloader after success.

When done, step2 window will close automatically. Press any key on main window to begin 3rd step.

IBbwQVfa5h9RZIqU-8qF_exnHFXg2CwetUk376DklRxuerCx-n-Brreq3AX1bjgKi4w15Y2Rw-5mjHc7xK7eVFVUT8_k6gB3a1LiEg=w1280-h1024-rw-no

WY-5H9NzDrpIkFF646vcKvwg4fT5vrz6wIzEGIDMDbUdwmz5ULtoWChToyElgweRaSpwQfgs3nTRQcpJge4CkyXGq7fUzOzXxqQV-g=w1280-h1024-rw-no

It will flash TWRP on your device. Your phone will reboot and boot into system after some time. If it takes more than 15 minutes or your kept seeing static window then reboot back into fastboot mode.
    To boot into fastboot (or bootloader) mode simply turn off phone by taking battery out then press volume down and plug-in USB cable while holding the button.
    Flash Boot2 image by entering “2” then “1” from JustRunMe window. (Different for root package 6.0)
    It will reboot and phone should boot now.
    (If you're faced with any secure boot password then you will have to format data within TWRP. Just poweroff your device and boot into TWRP)

Rooting, Removal of Encryption, Installation of SuperSU or Magisk:
    8: Now boot into recovery mode either by entering “5” then “1” or by key method,
    Cancel password prompt.
    To Remove Encryption Error (It'll wipe all your internal data)
    9: On TWRP. Swipe to allow modification.
    Click → Wipe → Format Data → type “yes” → enter.
    Now you will have access to internal storage from TWRP. Connect your phone to PC with USB cable while in TWRP.

10: Now copy your Supersu or Magisk to phone (Whatever you prefer).

11: Flash this zip by
    Press → Install → (Select copied zip) → swipe to flash and wait till it is finished.

12: If you're faced with any secure boot password then you will have to format data again by
    Boot into TWRP –> Wipe → Format Data → yes → enter
    after that
    Press → Wipe → check Cache, Dalvik Cache, Data → Swipe.
    Press → Home → Reboot → System.
    Download Links:
    1: LG V20 Root Package
    Old iterations
    LG V20 Root Package Here
    LG V20 Root Package 3.0 Here

Current iterations:
    a: LG V20 Root Package 4.0 Drive | DropBox
    b: LG V20 Root Package 6.0 Drive | Mega
    2: Terminal Emulator PlayStore or Mirror

3: LG Drivers Here (No need to download from here. From Root Package 4.0, driver can be found in Software folder of extracted files)
    OPTIONAL FILES
    Patched LGUP (If you want to cross flash firmwares. Use with extreme cautions and don't blame anyone if you hard brick the device)
    extract it to "C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP" (different for 32-bit windows)
    Rootable Firmware
    US996 10f KDZ (rootable) (Flash it through Patched LGUP on H910 if your current firmware is not rootable, as no kdz is available for H910 by carrier)
    US 996 KDZ
    LG US996 KDZ all Available versions
    FAQ

• Will this work on the lg v20 H918 10q and up?
    Well, Short answer = No.
    Long Answer = This guide is just beginner friendly. Which means that I is just a more easy version of dirtysanta with FAQ, Video Tutorial (probably) and less anxiety. The reason behind creating this is simply to help new V20 user root and install TWRP more easily. This is no upgrade to method. It is just a modification. It will do only what @me2151's method can do.

• Is there any way to revert my phone to a the version before att security patch. I am not super tech savvy so I wouldn't know where to start. I am very frustrated
    I did it by flashing a H915 kdz on H910 which had December 16 security patch. After that phone had TWRP by this method. You can try flashing either an H915 or US996 firmware with December 2016 or earlier security patch. US996 10f kdz link is given in 2nd post which is rootable. You can try with that if you have H910 phone.
    Here's the link for that tutorial to cross-flash a kdz rom on H910 using patched LGUP. (You can give a try to other variants but H918 which is highly brickable)
    Here or Here

• How do I find out if my firmware is rootable?
    If security patch of your phone says it's December 2016 or earlier then it is rootable using dirtysanta method.

• Does that mean I can flash h915 or US996 firmware on h910 even without rooting the device?
    I have H910. I can confirm directly flashing H915 and US996 kdz directly using patched LGUP (in 2nd post attachments).

• If yes, are there any software requirements/restrictions (be it the AT&T firmware version required, or the h915/US996 kdz I can install - eg. only install version XYZ of h915/US996 firmware if at&t firmware is before/after a certain version)?
    Currently there are no software restriction. By flashing firmware from US996 or h915 firmware you can get rid of ATT bloatware and WiFi Hotspot will work without any further enhancements. If you want to root your non-rootable firmware (H910 with firmware along January 2017 or later security patch) then try flashing an US996 firmware with December 2016 (or earlier) security patch to root.

• I had the latest US996 firmware (10p) installed, and it worked but I had signals problems (once 4G enabled, connection dropped randomly).
      I then tried to flash h915 10e firmware, and I'm now stuck in a bootloop. I tried re-flashing the US996 firmware that worked before, but it no longer works. The phone is still detected as US996 in LGUP (even if I flash h915 firmware).
    Try doing a factory reset using button method (The same used to enter TWRP).

• This procedure just completely bricked my H918. Everything went perfect until step 2 finished - and then instead of rebooting to bootloader, it simply died/crashed. Now it won't respond in any way whatsoever. I have no download mode, no fastboot - the thing won't even charge. Was on 10d. So that's cool
    That's really sad situation.
    (No where in the OP does it say that this works on the H918 therefore you bricked your phone.)
    Video Tutorial
    I disagree, if members would read the threads then they would have found the answer without having to make a post please give me this or point to that. As you stated there's numerous threads with the info needed if the members weren't lazy and took some time to read, and searching on the xda app on a mobile device is not difficult I do it all the time, and it's simple to do a Google search through your web browser

Sent from my LG-H910 using XDA Labs
    Your attitude throughout this issue (which wasn't an issue until you made it one) is very poor. While we want members to do a little self help by searching, there is no reason to react in a hostile manner. If you had any intentions to help, you would've stated that they need to search first, and then offer some assistance by at least pointing him in the right direction. That is the spirit and ethos of XDA. However, it is clearly evident that you had no intentions of helping this member, In which case, you shouldn't have bothered responding.

From here on out, I want to see some decency between member interactions in this thread, from everyone.

Neo