[Guide][Tutorial] Root TWRP LG V20 using Dirtysanta[Most Variants][Noobfriendly]

Search This thread

bhizzle

May 4, 2015
Yeah. Use KDZ Writer to update the modem to one from the latest KDZ for your variant BEFORE v20a.
@emdroidle said elsewhere using v20a modems on AOSP currently causes kernel crashes, so for the time being use one of those v1x ones (should just be able to use the latest stock non-Oreo KDZ like I said above).
I don't know if updating your modem will fix that though, dark mode not enabling wouldn't be a modem thing, not sure about the delay before showing the dialer.
I actually haven't updated my modem since I went to LineageOS. Wonder if I should? Or more appropriately, wonder if I NEED to...
Edit: Last KDZ I flashed on stock before going to LOS was v10k

I'll do as instructed and revert. Thanks for your assistance so far

Reactions: Redline

gill542

Jan 31, 2019
Hi, can someone help me, i am stuck with black screen
i had flashed us996 rom on my h915 model, it was successful, and i did root, it was also successful too, i was able to get into twrp one time, but it is black screen, i can hear my phone turning on, but i cant connect to pc to use lgup or lgflash to install stock firmware

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

there is blak screen, so i cant see if i am in download mode, as i remeber when i held vol down button and connected to pc, there was fastboot mode, so dont know how to get into download mode now

Mijin_Gakure

Feb 1, 2019
This guide mentions that I need to flash my firmware back to the December 2016 version before rooting; is there a guide anywhere for a non-advanced user to accomplish this? Unless I'm totally missing something I didn't see any instructions on how to do this here. Additionally where can I find the file I need to download to install the December 2016 version on my phone? This will be my first time attempting to root. I'm not totally oblivious when it comes to following technical instructions regarding computers, but I lack knowledge/experience with smartphones.

Last edited:

cnjax

Aug 4, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
This guide mentions that I need to flash my firmware back to the December 2016 version before rooting; is there a guide anywhere for a non-advanced user to accomplish this? Unless I'm totally missing something I didn't see any instructions on how to do this here. Additionally where can I find the file I need to download to install the December 2016 version on my phone? This will be my first time attempting to root. I'm not totally oblivious when it comes to following technical instructions regarding computers, but I lack knowledge/experience with smartphones.
Start by reading the OP

Sent from my LG-H910 using XDA Labs

Mijin_Gakure

Feb 1, 2019
Start by reading the OP

Thanks,

I've read all of it in it's entirety already. Perhaps I'm confused because of my lack of knowledge about some of the technical terms being used without elaboration regarding to smartphones and their processes, but I was under the impression the OP was suggesting that first before doing any of the steps he goes on to detail, that anyone with a up-to-date Verizon LG V20 must flash their phone back to the December 2016 firmware before even attempting the rooting process that he goes on to explain. I was also under the impression that instructions on how to revert the firmware are left out of anything that he mentions (probably because it's assumed that anyone attempting a root would already know how to do this). Are you suggesting that the process he outlines does in fact include flashing the phone back to old firmware and I'm just misunderstanding? If so that would be good to know.

Last edited:

jackson019

Jan 30, 2019
Thanks,

I've read all of it in it's entirety already. Perhaps I'm confused because of my lack of knowledge about some of the technical terms being used without elaboration regarding to smartphones and their processes, but I was under the impression the OP was suggesting that first before doing any of the steps he goes on to detail, that anyone with a up-to-date Verizon LG V20 must flash their phone back to the December 2016 firmware before even attempting the rooting process that he goes on to explain. I was also under the impression that instructions on how to revert the firmware are left out of anything that he mentions (probably because it's assumed that anyone attempting a root would already know how to do this). Are you suggesting that the process he outlines does in fact include flashing the phone back to old firmware and I'm just misunderstanding? If so that would be good to know.

I spent about a week reading posts on here before I attempted anything as the information required to actually get started is rather spread out. There is no one complete guide that tells you absolutely everything you need to know as between the various carriers and models of the V20 there are little differences for each. This makes it pretty difficult for newcomers who want to get into it, but it also marks just how serious the process is. You need to be aware of the risks involved with what you're doing. This guide does NOT tell you how to downgrade firmware. If you do a bit of searching you should find out how to use the LGUP program to downgrade. There is a bit of trickiness to it so be sure to read as much as you can.

I would spend more time here going through the guides and try to compile information in your own writeup. I've noticed most users here don't like to spoonfeed the process, but I definitely understand the confusion. The original dirtysanta root guide has 380+ pages of posts with little hints here and there for your specific phone that might not be found elsewhere. Spend some more time on reading the guides, try searching reddit and youtube as well. If you're still stuck I can help point you in the right direction.

Reactions: Mijin_Gakure

Mijin_Gakure

Feb 1, 2019
I spent about a week reading posts on here before I attempted anything as the information required to actually get started is rather spread out. There is no one complete guide that tells you absolutely everything you need to know as between the various carriers and models of the V20 there are little differences for each. This makes it pretty difficult for newcomers who want to get into it, but it also marks just how serious the process is. You need to be aware of the risks involved with what you're doing. This guide does NOT tell you how to downgrade firmware. If you do a bit of searching you should find out how to use the LGUP program to downgrade. There is a bit of trickiness to it so be sure to read as much as you can.

I would spend more time here going through the guides and try to compile information in your own writeup. I've noticed most users here don't like to spoonfeed the process, but I definitely understand the confusion. The original dirtysanta root guide has 380+ pages of posts with little hints here and there for your specific phone that might not be found elsewhere. Spend some more time on reading the guides, try searching reddit and youtube as well. If you're still stuck I can help point you in the right direction.

Since you tipped me off with the name of LGUP I was able to find and use it to flash my vs995 back to the December 2016 version. After a lot of trial and error I was able to get it fully rooted using the guide here, but the problem is I was only able to successfully flash it with the supersu that's included in the root pack downloaded fro the link in OP. I wanted to use magisk, but it would just tell me error when trying to flash it. I suspect this is because I was using the newest version of magisk, but I used the root package 4.0 in lieu of 6.0 so I could keep up with the images OP posted since it was so different in 6.0, and as such i don't think my TWRP is up to date and hence magisk 18.0 won't work. That's currently my best guess anyway.

Vortell

May 27, 2009
Moto E 2015
Hisense Sero 7 Pro
Since you tipped me off with the name of LGUP I was able to find and use it to flash my vs995 back to the December 2016 version. After a lot of trial and error I was able to get it fully rooted using the guide here, but the problem is I was only able to successfully flash it with the supersu that's included in the root pack downloaded fro the link in OP. I wanted to use magisk, but it would just tell me error when trying to flash it. I suspect this is because I was using the newest version of magisk, but I used the root package 4.0 in lieu of 6.0 so I could keep up with the images OP posted since it was so different in 6.0, and as such i don't think my TWRP is up to date and hence magisk 18.0 won't work. That's currently my best guess anyway.
Just download newest TWRP as an image and flash it as one in current TWRP... There is a button on bottom right for it. Make sure to make a backup first.

Mijin_Gakure

Feb 1, 2019
Just download newest TWRP as an image and flash it as one in current TWRP... There is a button on bottom right for it. Make sure to make a backup first.

I found the current version of twrp by Phoenix591. So you're saying I just put the image on my SD card, load up the current version of twrp, and then flash the new twrp image using the same process I would use to flash magisk or supersu by clicking "install" on the top left of the twrp menu?

Last edited:

Redline

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 12, 2014
Victoria, Australia
twitch.tv
I found the current version of twrp by Phoenix591. So you're saying I just put the image on my SD card, load up the current version of twrp, and then flash the new twrp image using the same process I would use to flash magisk or supersu by clicking "install" on the top left of the twrp menu?
That's correct.
Simply select install image, select the image and flash it. Reboot to recovery and you're now on the new version.

Mijin_Gakure

Feb 1, 2019
That's correct.
Simply select install image, select the image and flash it. Reboot to recovery and you're now on the new version.

Thanks, worked perfectly. I'm now on the current version of twrp, but still receiving error 1 when trying to flash magisk. I read another guide somewhere that said to correct error 1 I need to put "boot.img" on my micro SD card, but they give no description of what "boot.img" is or where to get one. So once I figure that out I may be one step closer. I was forced to use boot2 from the root package the OP provided because the other one wouldn't load after 15 min, so idk if that's causing this.

I had to copy bootbackup.img from the Root Package directory to my SD card, flash it in TWRP and then everything went smoothly!
Doing this managed to brick my phone. Hoping I can fix it using LGUP

Last edited:

jackson019

Jan 30, 2019
Thanks, worked perfectly. I'm now on the current version of twrp, but still receiving error 1 when trying to flash magisk. I read another guide somewhere that said to correct error 1 I need to put "boot.img" on my micro SD card, but they give no description of what "boot.img" is or where to get one. So once I figure that out I may be one step closer. I was forced to use boot2 from the root package the OP provided because the other one wouldn't load after 15 min, so idk if that's causing this.

Doing this managed to brick my phone. Hoping I can fix it using LGUP

I think you need to slow down! All the information is there, you just need to sift through it carefully. Post questions when you're completely stuck. There's no need to jump the gun. If you can't boot or get into TWRP, then you need to boot back into download mode and use LGUP to do a Partition DL KDZ flash of 12A or 13A and start over.

Mijin_Gakure

Feb 1, 2019
Thanks for the great work! I need a lil help with my VS995 tho...
After I complete the process I hang on the verizon spash screen indefinitely. Flashing boot2 image fixes the problem, but when I flash Magisk I get the error: Boot image patched by other programs! Please restore stock boot image.
Flashing boot1 image fixes the Magisk error, but then I'm back to hanging on the spash screen.
Any suggestions?

Edit: I had to copy bootbackup.img from the Root Package directory to my SD card, flash it in TWRP and then everything went smoothly!

I think you need to slow down! All the information is there, you just need to sift through it carefully. Post questions when you're completely stuck. There's no need to jump the gun. If you can't boot or get into TWRP, then you need to boot back into download mode and use LGUP to do a Partition DL KDZ flash of 12A or 13A and start over.

The problem is I am completely stuck. Following this guide I've managed to get twrp working, and updated as suggested later, but when I go to install magisk it just gives me error1. I've read elsewhere that this may be because the Installer can't mount the Vendor partition, the reason for that may be that the ROM I've installed is a treble. I've read every post in this whole thread, and the only one who offered a solution for this problem was d0p35m0k3, however, using his method it just caused my screen to become all jumbled up with grey vertical lines everywhere; they were even present in twrp. This could be because of my own fault somehow, he didn't say what partition to flash "bootbackup.img" to so I assumed boot, perhaps it was another one? Additionally I used the bootbackup.img from the first file I believe which was the root package 4.0 listed here, but I actually installed the 6.0 version later, so maybe that was the problem. I've got my phone working again after reformatting it with LGUP, so I guess my next step will be to reinstall twrp, get it updated again, then try to take the correct bootbackup.img out of the root package 6.0 file, and then flash it, since all that's left at this point is trial and error unless more direction is discovered. I'm already 9 hours into this; no sense in giving up now.

Vortell

May 27, 2009
Moto E 2015
Hisense Sero 7 Pro
The problem is I am completely stuck. Following this guide I've managed to get twrp working, and updated as suggested later, but when I go to install magisk it just gives me error1. I've read elsewhere that this may be because the Installer can't mount the Vendor partition, the reason for that may be that the ROM I've installed is a treble. I've read every post in this whole thread, and the only one who offered a solution for this problem was d0p35m0k3, however, using his method it just caused my screen to become all jumbled up with grey vertical lines everywhere; they were even present in twrp. This could be because of my own fault somehow, he didn't say what partition to flash "bootbackup.img" to so I assumed boot, perhaps it was another one? Additionally I used the bootbackup.img from the first file I believe which was the root package 4.0 listed here, but I actually installed the 6.0 version later, so maybe that was the problem. I've got my phone working again after reformatting it with LGUP, so I guess my next step will be to reinstall twrp, get it updated again, then try to take the correct bootbackup.img out of the root package 6.0 file, and then flash it, since all that's left at this point is trial and error unless more direction is discovered. I'm already 9 hours into this; no sense in giving up now.
Just go get mk2000 kernel for your model. You need a dirty Santa kernel to avoid the static. Even if you do have static if you wait long enough then press power to turn screen off and on again and it should be fine. You need to wait long enough for first boot to complete. It will be 5 10 maybe15 minutes depending on rom. If you just want static gone the first step is to get right nougat kernel. Use a bttf kernel for nougat. It's easiest way to make sure you are using a nougat kernel from mk2k. You could use the other but it doesn't seem to be as fast to me. If you want to just get stock working and you feel stuck I suggest alpha Omega. Use nougat if you are planning on using custom rom and want fingerprint to work. Otherwise use Oreo. There is even a nougat restore zip that could help you from the same i95swervin. Maybe try this first then use full firmware alpha omega. It's kind of up to you how you want to try to solve the issue. Everything else seems fine if you have TWRP.

Mijin_Gakure

Feb 1, 2019
Just go get mk2000 kernel for your model. You need a dirty Santa kernel to avoid the static. Even if you do have static if you wait long enough then press power to turn screen off and on again and it should be fine. You need to wait long enough for first boot to complete. It will be 5 10 maybe15 minutes depending on rom. If you just want static gone the first step is to get right nougat kernel. Use a bttf kernel for nougat. It's easiest way to make sure you are using a nougat kernel from mk2k. You could use the other but it doesn't seem to be as fast to me. If you want to just get stock working and you feel stuck I suggest alpha Omega. Use nougat if you are planning on using custom rom and want fingerprint to work. Otherwise use Oreo. There is even a nougat restore zip that could help you from the same i95swervin. Maybe try this first then use full firmware alpha omega. It's kind of up to you how you want to try to solve the issue. Everything else seems fine if you have TWRP.

Searched for mk2000 kernel.
Found Super-Rom for vs995.
Downgraded twrp as per instructions.
Flashed Super-Rom using the mk2000 kernel.
Selected magisk during the install.
Got this custom rom working.
Magisk is still not working, and the phone is not rooted.
Tried flashing magisk 18.0 again through twrp just in case, but still wont work.

I'm at this point willing to even pay someone from here to walk me through this if anyone's interested.

Vortell

May 27, 2009
Moto E 2015
Hisense Sero 7 Pro
Searched for mk2000 kernel.
Found Super-Rom for vs995.
Downgraded twrp as per instructions.
Flashed Super-Rom using the mk2000 kernel.
Selected magisk during the install.
Got this custom rom working.
Magisk is still not working, and the phone is not rooted.
Tried flashing magisk 18.0 again through twrp just in case, but still wont work.

I'm at this point willing to even pay someone from here to walk me through this if anyone's interested.
First thing first the device is running and no static right? Second did you install magisk manager? Also what phone are you on? You should still go get newest kernel. Aka mk2000 bttf ... As I have told you already. Just like I said ao Alpha Omega not super. Not sure what's on super anymore... Last what's your goal with the phone? Custom rom,stock Oreo or stock nougat? If it's custom then flash that. If it's a Oreo there flash alpha Omega Oreo. If it's nougat stock I would use alpha Omega as well super has more extras but I have had it break things too. Also if magisk 18 isn't working try 17. I mean it's been a while since I tried to use stock nougat.

Mijin_Gakure

Feb 1, 2019
First thing first the device is running and no static right? Second did you install magisk manager? Also what phone are you on? You should still go get newest kernel. Aka mk2000 bttf ... As I have told you already. Just like I said ao Alpha Omega not super. Not sure what's on super anymore... Last what's your goal with the phone? Custom rom,stock Oreo or stock nougat? If it's custom then flash that. If it's a Oreo there flash alpha Omega Oreo. If it's nougat stock I would use alpha Omega as well super has more extras but I have had it break things too. Also if magisk 18 isn't working try 17. I mean it's been a while since I tried to use stock nougat.

With all the trial and error I'm doing my brain get's clouded with everything since I have to google every term I'm unfamiliar with. It's like being a non-native speaker trying to translate a conversation while trouble shooting. Yes, to answer your question, there is no more static after using LGUP to revert back to stock rom from december 2016. I got the rom from https://lg-firmwares.com/lg-vs995-firmwares/#tab=firmwares, it says OS is "Unknown" so I don't know if it's Oreo or Nougat, but I'd guess Nougat since it seems it didn't switch to Oreo until 2018, and the rom's from 2016, but that's just a guess. I did try 17.1 magisk too with Super-Rom, both 18.0 and 17.1 gave me error1 messages when attempting to flash in TWRP. I guess the next thing I'll try is to reformat back to VS99512A_06_1114_ARB00 stock rom, then follow the steps of this guide again, and then attempt to flash Alpha Omega Nougat as per your suggestion in TWRP, and then see if I can get magisk working without error1.

Edit: I forgot to mention I did install Magisk Manager on a few of my various attempts to get it working, including this last one using Super-Rom. I'm not sure for what purpose these guides say to install it though before flashing magisk 18.0/17.1/or w/e since I haven't been able to do anything with it.

The static was just a temporary problem I had when I was trying something someone else suggested to get past the error1 problem when flashing magisk in twrp. The main problem I've been having for the last 21 hours that I've been working on this is trying to get past twrp telling me I cannot install magisk.

Update:

I managed to get magisk working.
I first used this guide: https://xdaforums.com/v20/how-to/restore-v20-to-100-stock-bricked-devices-t3524903 to restore my vs995 to stock using the VS99512A_06_1114_ARB00 from https://lg-firmwares.com/lg-vs995-firmwares/#tab=firmwares.

I then used the OP's guide in this thread step by step. I was forced to follow the steps to restart with boot2 because boot1 wouldn't load after 15 min, and I was also forced to follow his instructions to eemove encryption error by wiping everything from TWRP.

Then I flashed with A-O_4.0_VS995.zip from https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=282036. I installed using the mk2000 kernel as suggested.

Got the rom to load with working magisk, updating magisk breaks it, and using Hide Magisk Manager doesn't function as intended either (it doesn't rename it), but as long as I leave it on the packaged version it works, but I guess if I want to use it for what I went through all this for I'll need to find a way to make the hide feature work... Magisk Manager also keeps crashing when I try to type in the search field of the download section. Won't work for what I wanted it for, but sort of working I guess nonetheless.

Last edited:
Reactions: zfk110 and Redline

inspigr

Nov 16, 2007
Hi,

I followed the step and at the point that i wait the phone to reboot and after 1 1/2 hours!!! nothing happens....i see only LG Life's Good
I try to pull out the battery, restart again the same. I have the LG V20 H990ds model.
Please advice!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good day,
    Here's the modified dirtysanta method to root LG V20 and install TWRP. This guide will help you in rooting your device with much easier situation.

Before you begin:
    (Your phone's internal storage will be wiped or simply formatted or more simply erased)

(You will observe a static boot screen on each boot on some variants)
    (These instructions are specifically done using root package 4.0. Some steps will be different if you use other version)
    Read this carefully and completely. In this tutorial, I will show you how to root your LG V20 using DirtySanta method.This method is currently working for devices mentioned below in working device headings. So, you are warned not to try this on any other device (or not mentioned device) because this might brick your device. If you're on stock rom with Google's security patch of January 2017 or later then you need to flash a firmware with December 2016 or earlier security patch. This method flashes a debug bootloader, So, if you try to re-lock your bootloader it will brick your device.*
    And most important before beginning, read 4th post carefully.

Currently, LS997 (Sprint Variant) cannot return to stock because there is no KDZ available for these devices (they mostly don't release TOT, KDZ).
    For H910:
    If your phone is on non-rootable firmware you can cross flash a H915 or US995 kdz with December 2016 patch by using Patched LGUP and then proceed to root.
    If you are faced any problem you can ask help, I will try my best to help but can't promise and blamed if your device is bricked. Always process is root only if you have enough patience and experience to deal with brick and bring phones back to life.

Working Devices:
    - Verizon (VS995)
    - Sprint (LS997)
    - ATT (H910)
    - Korean(F800L)
    - USS996 (BPT, UCL)
    - Canadian (H915) --> Follow this Method (Specially for H915)
    again don't try on others you may face a brick. But if you're so desperate to try it on others devices then tell me your experiences.. DO NOT TRY THIS ON ANY OTHER VARIANT, YOUR PHONE WILL BRICK (INCLUDING BUT NO LIMITED TO H918)

Required Things:​
    All things that you require for this process can be found in 2nd post.

Preparation:
    1: Download files from download section. (Always download latest root package)
    2: Install Terminal Emulator on your phone.
    3: Extract root package.
    4: Install “ADB” through “ADBSteup.exe” from Software Folder
    Optional Either copy root zip (SuperSU or MAGISK) to external Sdcard (memory card) or wait till process to end so you can copy it after formatting internal storage from TWRP
    6: LG Driver can be found in Software folder of root package (Install it, if not installed already)

Steps:

Bootloader Unlocking:​
    1: Navigate to extracted Root Toolkit

2: Run "JustRunMe.cmd".

3: Enter "1" to begin process and follow on-screen information. All steps will start automatically one-by-one.

4: When prompted open terminal emulator and perform following commands. (Commands are also described in respective scripts).
    Code:
     id

check it output if it says ”Context = untrusted_app”. If it say so then you're fine to go to next step or you will have to began from step 1.

P1%2BTerminal%2BID.png

Code:
    applypatch /system/bin/atd /storage/emulated/0/dirtysanta

5: Now bring Logcat window to front and wait till it says you to start step 2.
    Press any key on main "JustRunme.cmd" and it will start 2nd step automatically.

it will boot your device into bootloader after success.

When done, step2 window will close automatically. Press any key on main window to begin 3rd step.

It will flash TWRP on your device. Your phone will reboot and boot into system after some time. If it takes more than 15 minutes or your kept seeing static window then reboot back into fastboot mode.
    To boot into fastboot (or bootloader) mode simply turn off phone by taking battery out then press volume down and plug-in USB cable while holding the button.
    Flash Boot2 image by entering “2” then “1” from JustRunMe window. (Different for root package 6.0)
    It will reboot and phone should boot now.
    (If you're faced with any secure boot password then you will have to format data within TWRP. Just power-off your device and boot into TWRP)

Rooting, Removal of Encryption, Installation of SuperSU or Magisk:

8: Now boot into recovery mode either by entering “5” then “1” or by key method,
    Cancel password prompt.
    To Remove Encryption Error (It'll wipe all your internal data)
    9: On TWRP. Swipe to allow modification.
    Click → Wipe → Format Data → type “yes” → enter.
    Now you will have access to internal storage from TWRP. Connect your phone to PC with USB cable while in TWRP.

10: Now copy your Supersu or Magisk to phone (Whatever you prefer).

11: Flash this zip by
    Press → Install → (Select copied zip) → swipe to flash and wait till it is finished.

12: If you're faced with any secure boot password then you will have to format data again by
    Boot into TWRP –> Wipe → Format Data → yes → enter
    after that
    Press → Wipe → check Cache, Dalvik Cache, Data → Swipe.
    Press → Home → Reboot → System.
    Download Links:
    1: LG V20 Root Package
    Old iterations
    LG V20 Root Package Here
    LG V20 Root Package 3.0 Here

Current iterations:
    a: LG V20 Root Package 4.0 Drive | DropBox
    b: LG V20 Root Package 6.0 Drive | Mega
    2: Terminal Emulator PlayStore or Mirror

3: LG Drivers Here (No need to download from here. From Root Package 4.0, driver can be found in Software folder of extracted files)
    OPTIONAL FILES
    Patched LGUP (If you want to cross flash firmwares. Use with extreme cautions and don't blame anyone if you hard brick the device)
    extract it to "C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP" (different for 32-bit windows)
    Rootable Firmware
    US996 10f KDZ (rootable) (Flash it through Patched LGUP on H910 if your current firmware is not rootable, as no kdz is available for H910 by carrier)
    US 996 KDZ
    LG US996 KDZ all Available versions
    FAQ

• Will this work on the lg v20 H918 10q and up?
    Well, Short answer = No.
    Long Answer = This guide is just beginner friendly. Which means that It is just more easier version of dirtysanta with FAQ, Video Tutorial (probably) and less anxiety. The reason behind creating this is simply to help new V20 user root and install TWRP more easily. This is no upgrade to method. It is just a modification. It will do only what @me2151's method can do.

• Is there any way to revert my phone to a the version before att security patch. I am not super tech savvy so I wouldn't know where to start. I am very frustrated
    I did it by flashing a H915 kdz on H910 which had December 16 security patch. After that phone had TWRP by this method. You can try flashing either an H915 or US996 firmware with December 2016 or earlier security patch. US996 10f kdz link is given in 2nd post which is rootable. You can try with that if you have H910 phone.
    Here's the link for that tutorial to cross-flash a kdz rom on H910 using patched LGUP. (You can give a try to other variants but H918 which is highly brickable)
    Here or Here

• How do I find out if my firmware is rootable?
    If security patch of your phone says it's December 2016 or earlier then it is rootable using dirtysanta method.

• Does that mean I can flash h915 or US996 firmware on h910 even without rooting the device?
    I have H910. I can confirm directly flashing H915 and US996 kdz directly using patched LGUP (in 2nd post attachments).

• If yes, are there any software requirements/restrictions (be it the AT&T firmware version required, or the h915/US996 kdz I can install - eg. only install version XYZ of h915/US996 firmware if at&t firmware is before/after a certain version)?
    Currently there are no software restriction. By flashing firmware from US996 or h915 firmware you can get rid of ATT bloatware and WiFi Hotspot will work without any further enhancements. If you want to root your non-rootable firmware (H910 with firmware along January 2017 or later security patch) then try flashing an US996 firmware with December 2016 (or earlier) security patch to root.

• I had the latest US996 firmware (10p) installed, and it worked but I had signals problems (once 4G enabled, connection dropped randomly).
      I then tried to flash h915 10e firmware, and I'm now stuck in a bootloop. I tried re-flashing the US996 firmware that worked before, but it no longer works. The phone is still detected as US996 in LGUP (even if I flash h915 firmware).
    Try doing a factory reset using button method (The same used to enter TWRP).

• This procedure just completely bricked my H918. Everything went perfect until step 2 finished - and then instead of rebooting to bootloader, it simply died/crashed. Now it won't respond in any way whatsoever. I have no download mode, no fastboot - the thing won't even charge. Was on 10d. So that's cool
    That's really sad situation.
    (No where in the OP does it say that this works on the H918 therefore you bricked your phone.)
    I disagree, if members would read the threads then they would have found the answer without having to make a post please give me this or point to that. As you stated there's numerous threads with the info needed if the members weren't lazy and took some time to read, and searching on the xda app on a mobile device is not difficult I do it all the time, and it's simple to do a Google search through your web browser

Your attitude throughout this issue (which wasn't an issue until you made it one) is very poor. While we want members to do a little self help by searching, there is no reason to react in a hostile manner. If you had any intentions to help, you would've stated that they need to search first, and then offer some assistance by at least pointing him in the right direction. That is the spirit and ethos of XDA. However, it is clearly evident that you had no intentions of helping this member, In which case, you shouldn't have bothered responding.

From here on out, I want to see some decency between member interactions in this thread, from everyone.

Neo
    Video Tutorial