• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE][TW][AOSPA] Swap Internal Memory with External & External with Internal

Search This thread

chandrus1983

Jan 18, 2012
Somewhere In India
Hi guys :cowboy:

Many people here want to swap memory i.e. making Internal Storage to act as External Storage and External Storage as Internal Storage... for example your 16Gb inbuilt storage will be external storage and 8/16/32/64Gb memory card will be Internal storage, so that you can play all the HD Games :laugh::laugh:

I have searched many threads regarding this, but i did not find the EASY steps to swap it.

I found a couple of Easy things which works only for GB/JB

I AGREE THERE ARE THREADS FOR JELLYBEAN

but they are very complicated, like using ADB Shell and all , which newbies like me dont know what to do with it.

I have searched a lot to get this thing, i dont want people to search for it like i did, so i'm creating a new and easy thread.

THIS DOES NOT WORK WITH ICS/GB & I DONT KNOW IF IT WORKS WITH NON TW ROMS LIKE CM​

THIS WORKS PERFECTLY WITH TW JELLYBEAN ROMS​

Here i present you the easiest way to swap memory, Ofcourse you need a ROOTED phone :D

You have got 2 options to swap the memory,

1. Download the rar file attached to this thread and extract it, you will get vold.fstab file, now transfer it to your phone and paste it in /system/etc using ROOT EXPLORER or any similar file manager and reboot :good: (this is very very easy)
Permission must be: RWX,R-X,R-X
Make sure you have mounted to R/W before pasting the file :D

OR​

2. Manually edit the vold.fstab and save it. (a bit tricky ;))

a) Install ROOT EXPLORER (i am sure you know where to get it) or any other file manager, but here i used Root Explorer as its very easy n friendly.

b) open root explorer and navigate to /system/etc and find vold.fstab, tap and hold on it and then click open with and choose ''TEXT EDITOR''

Now replace these lines

Code:
# internal sdcard
{ 
	ums_sys_path = /sys/class/android_usb/f_mass_storage/lun0/file
	secure_format = enable
	discard = enable
	supported_exfat = disable
}
dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard0 11 /devices/platform/dw_mmc/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0 encryptable_nonremovable

# external sdcard
{
	ums_sys_path = /sys/class/android_usb/f_mass_storage/lun1/file
	android_secure_containers = enable
}
dev_mount sdcard1 /storage/extSdCard auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc1

WITH

Code:
# internal sdcard
{ 
}
dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard0 auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc1

# external sdcard
{
discard = enable
}
dev_mount sdcard1 /storage/extSdCard 11 /devices/platform/dw_mmc/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0 encryptable_nonremovable

Refer this image - http://bit.ly/ZhV6PM

after replacing , tap on menu key (soft key) and select ''Save and Exit''

After you tap on it, it comes back to folder, dont do anything, just REBOOT your phone.

TA DAAAAAAAAAAAA :victory: Memory is swapped.
for confirmation go to settings --> storage and check it :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For AOSPA ROM Android Version 4.3 and Above
This also works with ROM's which doesn't has the vold.fstab file. Generally Android 4.3 ROM's doesnt have vold.fstab file, so do the following to swap memory.

There are two ways to do it.

1. If you are using ParanoidAndroid (Android Version 4.3 n Above), you can just replace the ''build.prop'' file. Replace only if using Paranoid Android, If you use any other 4.3 ROM, please do as instructed in 2nd method.

Download the file from here http://goo.gl/O16frm or download from the attachment and paste it in /system with the help of root explorer or any file manager.
Make sure permission is
RW-
R--
R--

Now reboot the device, its done :good:

2. If you do not want to copy paste my build.prop or if you use other 4.3 ROM you can do the following.

open build.prop file using root explorer or any file manager and paste the following lines at the end of the existing build.prop

Code:
# Change to 1 for swapping SD cards
persist.sys.vold.switchexternal=1

# Storage configuration
ro.vold.switchablepair=/storage/sdcard0,/storage/sdcard1

Refer this image ---> http://goo.gl/sBqFCw
it should match with your build.prop

now after editing the build.prop, save and exit, make sure permissions is
RW-
R--
R--

Now reboot the device and its done :good:

I don't know if any of these methods work in 4.2.2 ROM, If you want you should try it at your own risk

I have tested the above methods in Android 4.1.2 ROM and AOSPA Android Version 4.3 ROM, It works perfectly.

and the last and important thing is THIS IS ONLY FOR GALAXY NOTE N7000

Notes:

1. ITS RECOMMENDED TO DO THIS MODIFICATION JUST AFTER YOU INSTALL NEW ROM

2. PLEASE PLEASE take a backup of your internal memory and external memory before doing this modification, just in case if anything goes wrong (99.9% nothing will go wrong) but still to be on safer side, its recommended :D

3. If you have skipped the #1 then copy all the Android folder and paste it into memory card (yes memory card), so that your pre installed apps works perfectly.

4. Please take a backup of your stock vold.fstab file before trying this

5. CWM Recovery will NOT recognise this SWAP, you will see no change in memory in CWM Recovery, Internal is Internal and External is External there, just like stock.

I have tested it on my and my friend's Samsung Galaxy Note GT - N7000 and it is working perfectly :cool:

Thanks to: anoopva, sarjarim, Adi_Pat.
and also to my Phone for testing it..lol :p

Thank You :cool:

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 8,206
  • vold.fstab.rar
    698 bytes · Views: 6,584
Last edited:

maryius

Aug 4, 2010
Bucharest
swap internal with external card

Hi! I appreciate this thread but it was to late for me! I searched a lot of times this thing, spending days by days trying to find this sollution when i had a Galaxy s2. One day, i finally founded this sollution on a Galaxy s2 thread. When i switched to Galaxy Note i had no ideea how to do that for this model but i tryied with that vold.fstab file moded for galaxy s2 and it worked. So,every time i flash a new rom i replace the original file with the modded one and it works. So,for me this doesn't help me at all! I really thing that this will be verde useful for many people who don't know that! Bravo! Congratulations!:laugh:

Reactions: chandrus1983

chandrus1983

Jan 18, 2012
Somewhere In India
Hi! I appreciate this thread but it was to late for me! I searched a lot of times this thing, spending days by days trying to find this sollution when i had a Galaxy s2. One day, i finally founded this sollution on a Galaxy s2 thread. When i switched to Galaxy Note i had no ideea how to do that for this model but i tryied with that vold.fstab file moded for galaxy s2 and it worked. So,every time i flash a new rom i replace the original file with the modded one and it works. So,for me this doesn't help me at all! I really thing that this will be verde useful for many people who don't know that! Bravo! Congratulations!:laugh:

Thanks mate, Yes, i did search a lot like you, hours together to find this :(
But finally i got it :victory:
and you say you are using vold.fstab of Galaxy S2, well mate, you did risk your phone..lol...anyways you have it, Enjoy!! As you said, this might be useful for others :angel:

Hardeep_Singh

Feb 23, 2013
Delhi
1. Will it work for LG Optimus L9?
2. With 32GB Class 10 sd card?

Sent from my unrooted LG-P765 using xda app-developers app

chandrus1983

Jan 18, 2012
Somewhere In India
Z

zylor

vold.fstab NEEDS TO BE MODIFIED TO EVERY PHONE AND EVERY ROM VERSION!

The method that @chandrus1983 is presenting here WORKS ONLY IN TOUCHWIZ 4.1.2 ROMS FOR GT-N7000

If you want it to work in CyanogenMOD roms, AOSP, PAOSP, AOKP you need to go into: /system/etc/vold.fstab and MODIFY IT MANUALLY!

chandrus1983

Jan 18, 2012
Somewhere In India

The method that @chandrus1983 is presenting here WORKS ONLY IN TOUCHWIZ 4.1.2 ROMS FOR GT-N7000

If you want it to work in CyanogenMOD roms, AOSP, PAOSP, AOKP you need to go into: /system/etc/vold.fstab and MODIFY IT MANUALLY!

I have already mentioned it ;) Please have a look at it!

indiandroid

Jan 1, 2012
New Delhi
Excellent Method Bro. I was scratching my head over options like CronMod, Folder Mount and Directory Bind. I also have Galaxy Note 2 and Note 10.1. both with Samsung Touchwiz 4.1.2. Will the same file and text work there also.?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

Last edited:

krulafix

Mar 3, 2009
Port Klang
Hi. I don't see the internal sdcard lines in my copy of vold.fstab script. Should I add it into my current one?

Code:
# internal sdcard
{ 
	secure_format = enable
	discard = enable
}
dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard0 11 /devices/platform/dw_mmc/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0 encryptable_nonremovable

chandrus1983

Jan 18, 2012
Somewhere In India
Excellent Method Bro. I was scratching my head over options like CronMod, Folder Mount and Directory Bind. I also have Galaxy Note 2 and Note 10.1. both with Samsung Touchwiz 4.1.2. Will the same file and text work there also.?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

No, the file contents are different... Don't try this on Note 2 or Tab! Ask your respective devs mate... They know about this :D

Hi. I don't see the internal sdcard lines in my copy of vold.fstab script. Should I add it into my current one?

Code:
# internal sdcard
{ 
secure_format = enable
discard = enable
}

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

You need to copy the code i mentioned here and replace... Or just download the attached file n paste it, its easiest :)

Reactions: Rosli59564

neier24

Apr 8, 2013

Yes, and as aditional info: look inside of that file and change only those specific bits "11, auto", "platform s3c, dw_" etc
and leave exactly as it was cause might be different.

Thanks, Shyam and chandrus1983 for their contribution.

Last edited:
Reactions: chandrus1983

harold5249

Jan 31, 2013
Noob question here because I'm Noob. ><

If after I swap memory, then I remove sd card, which memory will be removed?

Sent from my GT-N7000

howard bamber

Jun 4, 2012
Southport
There are two adb files one to swap, one to change back. You just flash in cwm. Lot easier. Search for them. I've 64 gig now

sent by reversed alien technology....

harold5249

Jan 31, 2013
It's swap to let app read sd card memory as default memory or swap sd card and internal memory permanently? @@

Sent from my GT-N7000

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys :cowboy:

Many people here want to swap memory i.e. making Internal Storage to act as External Storage and External Storage as Internal Storage... for example your 16Gb inbuilt storage will be external storage and 8/16/32/64Gb memory card will be Internal storage, so that you can play all the HD Games :laugh::laugh:

I have searched many threads regarding this, but i did not find the EASY steps to swap it.

I found a couple of Easy things which works only for GB/JB

I AGREE THERE ARE THREADS FOR JELLYBEAN

but they are very complicated, like using ADB Shell and all , which newbies like me dont know what to do with it.

I have searched a lot to get this thing, i dont want people to search for it like i did, so i'm creating a new and easy thread.

THIS DOES NOT WORK WITH ICS/GB & I DONT KNOW IF IT WORKS WITH NON TW ROMS LIKE CM​

THIS WORKS PERFECTLY WITH TW JELLYBEAN ROMS​

Here i present you the easiest way to swap memory, Ofcourse you need a ROOTED phone :D

You have got 2 options to swap the memory,

1. Download the rar file attached to this thread and extract it, you will get vold.fstab file, now transfer it to your phone and paste it in /system/etc using ROOT EXPLORER or any similar file manager and reboot :good: (this is very very easy)
    Permission must be: RWX,R-X,R-X
    Make sure you have mounted to R/W before pasting the file :D

OR​

2. Manually edit the vold.fstab and save it. (a bit tricky ;))

a) Install ROOT EXPLORER (i am sure you know where to get it) or any other file manager, but here i used Root Explorer as its very easy n friendly.

b) open root explorer and navigate to /system/etc and find vold.fstab, tap and hold on it and then click open with and choose ''TEXT EDITOR''

Now replace these lines

Code:
    # internal sdcard
    { 
    	secure_format = enable
    	discard = enable
    }

# external sdcard
    {
    }
    dev_mount sdcard1 /storage/extSdCard auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc1

WITH

Code:
    # internal sdcard
    { 
    }
    dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard0 auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc1

# external sdcard
    {
    discard = enable
    }
    dev_mount sdcard1 /storage/extSdCard 11 /devices/platform/dw_mmc/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0 encryptable_nonremovable

Refer this image - http://bit.ly/ZhV6PM

after replacing , tap on menu key (soft key) and select ''Save and Exit''

After you tap on it, it comes back to folder, dont do anything, just REBOOT your phone.

TA DAAAAAAAAAAAA :victory: Memory is swapped.
    for confirmation go to settings --> storage and check it :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For AOSPA ROM Android Version 4.3 and Above
    This also works with ROM's which doesn't has the vold.fstab file. Generally Android 4.3 ROM's doesnt have vold.fstab file, so do the following to swap memory.

There are two ways to do it.

1. If you are using ParanoidAndroid (Android Version 4.3 n Above), you can just replace the ''build.prop'' file. Replace only if using Paranoid Android, If you use any other 4.3 ROM, please do as instructed in 2nd method.

Download the file from here http://goo.gl/O16frm or download from the attachment and paste it in /system with the help of root explorer or any file manager.
    Make sure permission is
    RW-
    R--
    R--

Now reboot the device, its done :good:

2. If you do not want to copy paste my build.prop or if you use other 4.3 ROM you can do the following.

open build.prop file using root explorer or any file manager and paste the following lines at the end of the existing build.prop

Code:
    # Change to 1 for swapping SD cards
    persist.sys.vold.switchexternal=1

# Storage configuration
    ro.vold.switchablepair=/storage/sdcard0,/storage/sdcard1

Refer this image ---> http://goo.gl/sBqFCw
    it should match with your build.prop

now after editing the build.prop, save and exit, make sure permissions is
    RW-
    R--
    R--

Now reboot the device and its done :good:

I don't know if any of these methods work in 4.2.2 ROM, If you want you should try it at your own risk

I have tested the above methods in Android 4.1.2 ROM and AOSPA Android Version 4.3 ROM, It works perfectly.

and the last and important thing is THIS IS ONLY FOR GALAXY NOTE N7000

Notes:

1. ITS RECOMMENDED TO DO THIS MODIFICATION JUST AFTER YOU INSTALL NEW ROM

2. PLEASE PLEASE take a backup of your internal memory and external memory before doing this modification, just in case if anything goes wrong (99.9% nothing will go wrong) but still to be on safer side, its recommended :D

3. If you have skipped the #1 then copy all the Android folder and paste it into memory card (yes memory card), so that your pre installed apps works perfectly.

4. Please take a backup of your stock vold.fstab file before trying this

5. CWM Recovery will NOT recognise this SWAP, you will see no change in memory in CWM Recovery, Internal is Internal and External is External there, just like stock.

I have tested it on my and my friend's Samsung Galaxy Note GT - N7000 and it is working perfectly :cool:

Thanks to: anoopva, sarjarim, Adi_Pat.
    and also to my Phone for testing it..lol :p

Thank You :cool:

Thanks mate, Yes, i did search a lot like you, hours together to find this :(
    But finally i got it :victory:
    and you say you are using vold.fstab of Galaxy S2, well mate, you did risk your phone..lol...anyways you have it, Enjoy!! As you said, this might be useful for others :angel:
    can we use this for other devices ?

1. Will it work for LG Optimus L9?
    2. With 32GB Class 10 sd card?

Sent from my unrooted LG-P765 using xda app-developers app

Single answer for both questions :laugh:

Contact some dev's in your forum they can modify the VOLD.FSTAB file for sure.
    they have knowledge about your respective phones.
    Sorry for late response, was busy

Yes, and as aditional info: look inside of that file and change only those specific bits "11, auto", "platform s3c, dw_" etc
    and leave exactly as it was cause might be different.

Thanks, Shyam and chandrus1983 for their contribution.

Welcome bro

Noob question here because I'm Noob. ><

If after I swap memory, then I remove sd card, which memory will be removed?

Sent from my GT-N7000

SD CARD = Memory Card.
    when you remove the memory card, your internal memory will be removed,
    For example, you have got swift key board, and the predictions are saved in internal memory (android/data folder)
    when you remove the memory card , you will not be able to use predictions.:)

Hope you understand, any further questions are welcome.

This is awesome man just what I needed

You can always show your support by hiting thanks button. :cowboy:

There are two adb files one to swap, one to change back. You just flash in cwm. Lot easier. Search for them. I've 64 gig now
    sent by reversed alien technology....

People cant search or might be difficult, so i created this :)
    Respect to that methods and you :good:

It's swap to let app read sd card memory as default memory or swap sd card and internal memory permanently? @@

Sent from my GT-N7000

This mod makes the Memory card as internal memory and the inbuilt 16gb memory becomes external memory.
    you can have 32Gb or 64Gb internal memory by this, if you have 32Gb/64Gb memory card, and have all the HD games (if you are a freak) :laugh:

Thanks man! I love this. Paired with a 32gb Class10 SD, that's a dream come true. :highfive:

You can always show your support by hiting thanks button. :cowboy:
    here is the build.prop file of asylum cm10.2

Replace this build.prop with your existing build.prop

http://goo.gl/QPzLIO

BACKUP THE EXISTING ONE FOR YOUR SAFETY