[Guide][Tweaks] The Complete Guide For Maximum Battery Life V2.1 - Updated 7.10.13

Search This thread

hyperbolic

Jul 27, 2011
Sin City
Last update: 7.10.13

attachment.php
This is the complete guide of how to handle your battery in the most efficient way possible.(GB/ICS/JB version).​

This guide refers to Android users in general (Samsung, HTC etc..) in addition to SGS2 users.

attachment.php

ROOT: Yes.
ROM: Any rom will do.
Kernel: Siyah/Dorimanx is preferred but any other will be fine.
Human features: Patience :)

attachment.php

After an extensive research regarding 'how Android OS works' and reading hundreds of pages (yes 1000 pages in 1 thread) in XDA regarding topics such as: BBS (BetterBatterStats), MagicConfig by geko95gek, Kernel Info, Kernel Governors, Modules, I/O Schedulers, CPU Tweaks, AIO App Configs by droidphile etc, I have come to conclusion that there is currently no better configuration than mine.
I almost don't have wakelocks, during the night (7 hours sleep) I have between 3-4% drain which is really good, of course, you can get better drain ,for example, 1 % during a whole night BUT users like that turn off their data connection OR switch to airplane mode, I really don't like doing that but of course you could do that too and enjoy your 1% drain.

Before I wrote this guide I tried these configurations in 5 different infinite sgs2 mobile phones of my friends and Nexus devices, they all were blown away from the results they experienced from their battery.

I wrote this guide because XDA users have helped me a lot in all the aspects of Android, so now I can help the XDA community too.

attachment.php

Last update:7/10/13
Step 2 updated with solutions on the go.
Step 3 is now LBE version 5 compatible.
Step 4 updated for Dorimanx users as well.

Faq Updated

attachment.php

Post #1
  1. Wakelocks: What is it ?
  2. Monitoring the wakelocks
  3. LBE security manager: internet permissions & prevent apps to be put in cached after a restart
  4. ExTweaks/STweaks & governors - Siyah/Dorimanx kernel users ONLY!
  5. Undervolting & Governors
    Post #2
  6. Freezing google/Samsung apps using Titanium Backup Pro
  7. Screen Brightness
  8. Accounts & sync
  9. Fast Dormacy - Should/Can I disable it ?
  10. Battery calibration - Should I do it ?
  11. Network/operator modem support - How to tell if your modem meet your network standards
  12. Variance
  13. Learning to read the battery graph
    Post #3
    FAQ

When you're done with the guide please do come back and share your results with us.

I'll try to simplify things as much as I can so the common user could understand.
Let's begin,
When you develop an app in Android there are options for you (as a developer) to let the app start during a different time or a different change, sometimes it is really essential, for example our build in Alarm clock(Also: Widget/Music player), we need it to start the alarm in a specific time thus this process is important and it will open up by "it self".
Counter example is a simple game or a weather app, we only use it once in a while and after we use it we don't need the process anymore so we close it, but most of the time the developer add all sort of commands to start the process even when we don't use this exact process, for example if we boot the device/click on the media app button the app will go into cached processes (System settings->Applications->Running->Click on cached processes), but let's say it's an app we use once a week or a game we play once a week, there is no need to put this app in the cached processes (since it consumes the battery) so this is why we would like to close this option.
Notice – When you open an app and close it the process is still in the cached processes because if you open it again, it will open in a sec (since it's in the cached processes)and that’s a good and efficient thing, but if you close it from the cached processes you will only make things worse because when you open it AGAIN the Android OS will AGAIN, put the app in the cached processes and this is yet again will consume the battery.

How to tell if you can turn off or not in an app/game:
Basically the idea is this,
  • If we are talking about an app that the whole very existence is to do things by it self (Playing songs/Setting alarms/Auto-commands apps) then of course we won't turn anything off.
  • If we are talking about a type of apps that their whole process is to do something particularly which will take place only when we open the app (Bar-code scanner/Weather app/Shazam/Office apps/GPS apps/Games so of course we will turn everything off.
  • If we are talking about ROOT apps so I suggest not to touch anything.

First thing you will do is to download Gemini App Manager 2.6.0, this app will handle these wakelocks and as we already mentioned will give us full control over 'when to put/not to put the app in the cached processes/running services'.
DON'T UPDATE TO VERSION 2.7 - THE NEW VERSION HAS NO WORKING EXPERT MODE ! ! !
After you downloaded the app, open it,
  • Hit the option touch key (left to the home button) and go to 'Expert Mode', you will find there, all the applications your phone contains. What we are looking for is the orange icon the says 'AUTO' under each app:

once you find an app/game with this icon, think, and ask yourself "Do I need this app/game to open up by it self?" (See the examples with the clock app above).
    If your answer is "NO!" (90% of the cases the answer is no-read above when the answer is YES), then press this app/game for about 2-3 seconds, a window will open and choose 'ConfigAutorun (root)'.
  • A new window will appear with all sort of commands: On package added, on app widget update, After boot etc, as you can tell the name of the command does what it says for example: 'On package added' -> if you added a package to the app, the app will be put in cached process.
    Change to OFF all the commands:

and there you go, this app will never fool around!
2. Monitoring the wakelocks:
Download the app: BBS
BetterBatteryStats aka BBS: Why do I need this app ?
After you managed to finish step number 1, you can now install BBS on your system.
Once your done open it and choose partial wakelocks, we will focus on this section.
Charge your device to 100% and when it reaches 10% or so, open BBS hit the options touch key and choose 'Dump to file':

this will generate a .txt file with all the apps/games that did wake your phone and caused drains.
"BUT HEY I DON'T UNDERSTAND ANYTHING FROM THIS FILE AND THIS APP IS HARD TO UNDERSTAND!!!", first you need to relax and go to the BBS thread BBS, the developer is kind enough to let you put the file there and he will look it over and tell you what is the main problem you should focus, and decide if to remove the app or maybe change something in the setting of the app.
If you want to learn about this log file and understand it better just read the thread (like I did) it contains more than 1000 pages, so after 10-20 you will have some clue about this app.
Remember, this is the BEST application that can track your battery drains and tell even if your kernel is waking up the phone, just dig in BBS and you will see, there is no other alternative than BBS, remember that and don't ask for a substitute.

Q: How can I solve BBS wakelocks on the go ?
A: Get in here.
Also, if you have EventLog wakelocks here is the solution:
Download System Tuner. open the app and go to 'Startups' and look for 'Google service framework' and over there disable both 'checkin.EventLogService'.
Be advice EventLogService wakelocks only happens with stock Samsung ROMS.
ALSO, read the FAQ.

3. LBE security manager: internet permissions & prevent apps to be put in cached after a restart: version 5+
We all know that every time we go to the inet (not via wifi) we are starting to see an immediate battery drain.
The best way is to install a firewall app (which is MUCH more than that btw and it's free) that will control our inet pipe.
The user zagzag99 was kind enough to translate the latest version (4) of that app (Notice that in Play store it's version 3 ONLY) get it here: LBE Security
After you installed the app,
  • Tap on More -> Permissions -> All apps
  • Now you are looking at all your apps/games (including system app by tapping on 'Download' on the left and choosing 'System'), by clicking on one of the app/game you would see the permissions the app wants from your phone, if it is a game that you play offline then why does this game want to go online? More-than that, why the game wants to access my call records!?
    This is why you won't allow it and eventually you'll close the inet pipe and the rest for each app/game you don't want to go online or even get your precious information.
  • After your done we will now deal with the auto start issue.
    Repeat step a, and choose a random app, as you can see the first option in every app is 'On boot permissions' so you can turn it off or back on.
    Now, this is very important, I only say it once, if you see an app/game that you don't even use or use once a week 'turn it off', but if you see an app/game that you use most of the time leave it as it is, why ? Obviously you didn't read step number 1.
4. ExTweaks/STweaks& governors - Siyah/Dorimanx kernel users ONLY! **Unless you can undervolt with your kernel**
Download STweaks, if you want to understand what each command/line does please read up: Here or you can just do what I tell you to and enjoy better battery.
First of all I want to thank geko95gek who inspired me a lot regarding STweaks .
Open STweaks,

CPU tab:
MAX OC FREQUENCY: 1000000Khz

CPU_UV tab:
You can undervolt here or in setCPU (See step 5).
Be advise #1: for some reason Siyah V6b5 doesn't save the changes after reboot BUT setCPU does.
Be advise #2: Dorimanx users are good to go.

GPU tab: - SGS2 users input - Different devices try to lower 1 step back.
Siyah steps:
GPU FREQ STEP1: 54Mhz
GPU FREQ STEP2: 108Mhz
GPU FREQ STEP3: 160Mhz
GPU FREQ STEP4: 200Mhz
GPU FREQ STEP5: 267Mhz
GPU VOLTAGE LEVEL1: 850mV
GPU VOLTAGE LEVEL2: 900mV
GPU VOLTAGE LEVEL3: 950mV
GPU VOLTAGE LEVEL4: 1050mV
GPU VOLTAGE LEVEL5: 1150mV

Dorimanx steps: (Basically the default)
GPU FREQ STEP1: 108Mhz
GPU FREQ STEP2: 160Mhz
GPU FREQ STEP3: 200Mhz
GPU FREQ STEP4: 267Mhz
GPU VOLTAGE LEVEL1: 900mV
GPU VOLTAGE LEVEL2: 950mV
GPU VOLTAGE LEVEL3: 1000mV

You're DONE!

5. Undervolting& Governors:
Be advise: If your kernel doesn't support undervolting move to the next step, but I recommend to use a kernel that has support because when the phone is in deep sleep or on 200mhz (when you're not using it) you could save a lot of battery.
Be advise #2:I am going to recommend the use of setCPU and STweaks (Siyah/Dorimanx kernel only - if you don't have siyah you can do this step also as long as your kernel support undervolt), a lot of people wouldn't recommend the use of these apps together since they MIGHT conflict with each other, BUT if you will go through this step and read carefully it wouldn't be a problem in fact, it will work just fine :)

Download setCPU, if you want the latest version you can buy it in the Play store (support the developer).
Version 2.2.4 would be fine too, if you want to understand what each governor means and what is cfq please read up: Here and Here or (if you’re a lazy ass user) you can just do what I tell you to and enjoy your battery:

Open setCPU,

Main screen:
change to 200-1000 Mhz (it should be like it since you already changed it in ExTweaks) and tick 'Set on boot', also make sure 'ondemand' and 'ROW/CFQ' are chosen as governor/io :

Profiles:
  • Make a new profile and choose 'Add Condition -> Screen On/Off' and choose 'Screen off' and save.
    Hit next and choose 200-500Mhz, tick 'Set the CPU governor' and choose 'conservative'.
    Choose priority 50.
    This profile will make sure while the screen is off there won't be any jumps to high frequencies.
  • Make another new profile and choose 'Add Condition -> Battery level' and choose '10%' and save.
    Hit next and choose 200-800Mhz, tick 'Set the CPU governor' and choose 'conservative'.
    Priority is 49.
    This profile will let you squeeze the last 10% of the battery like they were 20% but the UI will lag.
    Tick those profiles and tick 'Enable Profiles' at the bottom.
    Results of step a & b :

Voltages Screen: (Only supported kernels)
Be advice: This stage is the most exhausting, annoying and irritating stage you could ever find but in the end it's worth every second.​
Since we put a range of 200-900Mhz we will focus on these frequencies only (of course if you decide to put the range between 200-1200Mhz you will focus on them only).
We will scroll down and look for 200Mhz, 1st white row represent the default mV that Samsung has put in order to max UI, and 2nd white row represent your mV change,but we are smarter than old Samy so we will start to change.

200Mhz – Is usually between 825-875mV it varies between each phone (each phone has different ROM/Kerenl)
So you ask yourself, which mV should I choose?
Well my friends, that’s the 1 million dollar question, let's say you chose 850mV:
  • Touch the 200Mhz and change it to 850mV afterwards hit the 'Right icon' next to the save icon
  • if your phone is still working and didn't get stuck go back to the 'MAIN' tab and choose 200-200Mhz (yes exactly like that) and then we will go to the 'INFO' tab, scroll down and choose 'Stress test':

if 'Sress Test' ran for about 4-5 mins and everything is still working, you can stop it by pressing the back key and it means we can continue to the next stage.
  • Download Stability Test
    Open the app and choose Classic stability test – this will ensure the test of only the 200Mhz frequency.
  • If after step b&c your phone is still working that means that the undervolt you chose is working great. (It doesn't mean that your phone won't freeze-it might), you can undervolt more and see what is your limit.
  • Do the same process to all the frequencies, of course if you're in 500Mhz you choose the main profile (setCPU) 300-300Mhz in order to test only this frequency.
  • When you're done, change back in setCPU'MAIN' tab to 200-1000Mhz, go back to Stability test and now choose Scaling Stability Test, let it run for 10-20mins, if there are no errors you're good to go.
  • Play with the phone for few days, if it hasn't frozen go to setCPU 'VOLTAGES' tab and tick at the bottom 'Set On Boot'.
    Notice: My recommendation is to set on boot in the end of the process because if you choose a really low MV your phone might be stuck in an endless loop, thus you tick 'set on boot', only, if you are sure your system is stable.
    Final Result:
    [img=http://imageshack.us/thumbnmail.png]

My voltages (SGS2 Device):
200Mhz – 850mV
500Mhz – 925mV
800Mhz – 975mV
1000Mhz – 1075mV

Notice: This undervolt method is the most aggressiveness method around, if you want the easy way and you have Siyah kernel you can open ExTweaks/STweaks and in the "Undervolting" choose -25 or -50, this will undervolt ALL the frequencies together with minus 25 or 50, if your brave you can try 75.
My method gives you a specific voltage to each frequency, in 200mhz you can have minus 75mV while in 500mhz minus 50mv, this will give you the best undervolt system.​

Continued on next post...

Attachments

• Ribbon.jpg
    Ribbon.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 74,763
  • Requirements.png
    Requirements.png
    37.1 KB · Views: 74,559
  • Index.png
    Index.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 74,443
  • Background.png
    Background.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 74,380
  • changelog.png
    changelog.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 74,361
Last edited:

hyperbolic

Jul 27, 2011
Sin City
6. Freezing google/Samsung apps using Titanium Backup Pro:
If you didn't buy the app yet, well, you’re an idiot: Titanium Backup Pro or you can use a free substitute (though I never tried it) Root Uninstaller
After you bought the app, open it and go to 'Backup/Restore' tab:

in there, you can see all your apps/games AND system apps, we will be focusing on the system apps.
NOTICE: If you're using CM rom you can skip this step since they did hell of a job in removing all Samsung/Android bloat-ware.

Our main goal is to freeze processes that common users don't use and don't even know they have, I won't write all the list of the apps you should freeze but I will write all the apps you will freeze that are consuming your battery like a *****:
  • Email 4.0 – this is stock mail full of bugs and infinite loops that go online and check for mail, if you don't have gmail account please use a 3rd party app like AquaMail/MailDroid that will give you minimum bugs for the check interval.
  • Exchane Service 3.1 – Belongs to Email 4.0
  • Kies via Wi-Fi – I wouldn't say it consumes your battery but it's an unsecured protocol by Samsung, use a 3rd party app like AirDroid
  • Maps – If you're not using it FREEZE THIS APP ASAP! If you do use I suggest unfreezing every time you need it and freeze again when you're not using it (sorry).
  • MAPService – Belongs to Maps.
  • Samsung Account – Do I really need to explain? (Including all the Samsung hubs and chats and whatever they come up)
  • SecPhone 1.0 – If you're using a different launcher rather than TW you can freeze it.
  • Software Update – We don't need it, we flash our ROMS :)
  • Street View – belongs to Maps.
  • Talk – I find that even if I freeze it (gtalk) it's still waking the phone so your choice.
  • Talkback – Samsung try to overtake Whatsapp.
  • Wi-Fi Direct & Wi-Fi sharing & Wi-Fi sharing manager – you don't need it.

Of course if you're using stock ROM you have A LOT of freezing to do, you can use this thread and of course this amazing list
Or you can Google for more apps that are safe to remove.

7. Screen Brightness:
If you don't know, the most battery consuming part of the phone is the screen.
Go to 'System Settings -> Display -> Brightness' and choose 'automatic brightness'.
For the users that want to maximize even more (YES WE WANT EXTREME!!) try to lower the brightness as low as you can, 20-30%.
Recently I've noticed that there are new apps that you adjust screen brightness by each pixel and a lot more, you can Google that, but I prefer to be able to see things crystal clear.

8. Accounts & sync:
Everyone is recommending, in order to save battery, to go to 'System settings -> Accounts and sync' and to turn it off, of course it will save A LOT of battery, but, if you have a gmail account and you want to be notified as soon as you get an email,you can't turn it off.
What you can do is:
  • Hit your @gmail.com account, and 'untick' everything except 'Sync Gmail', this will assure that you will get your emails via PUSH (PUSH is the most battery efficient protocol - at real time):

• Don't forget to sync your contacts/calender once in a while or before you flash a rom.
  • If you don't want to get your emails instantly then remove your gmail account and download a 3rd party app like MailDroid/AquaMail and set interval for every hour or every 4 hours, this will assure that there will be absolute no wakelocks but only every 1 hour or 4 ( as you chose).
  • If you choose to keep auto sync there is one disadvantage:
    If you don't have a good reception 'sync' option will go completely crazy and keep asking to go online and sync your email (since you're on PUSH) but it won't be able to, since you don't have a good reception and it will go like this in an infinite loop till you have a decent reception and as you can already understand while your screen is off, the phone is awake and trying to sync, so keep that in mind.

First of all you need to understand that not every network/operator support FD (Fast Dormacy).
My network doesn't support FD thus if I'll disable or enable it, it wouldn't make any different, in fact if you disabled it and you think your battery is now "OMG FUKCING AMAZING" this is just a placebo effect, and yes I am 110% positive.

How do I check if my network support this tweak ?
The user JIMMYMCGEE from xda made an amazing guide you need to follow (in fact it's a video clip - which is easier).
She first explain what is FD and afterwards explains how to check if you have FD and if you do, how it can save you battery.
Follow this guide and all his steps here.
NOTICE: If the app that shows you your network stats (service mode) doesn't work and only opens your dialer, this is what you need to do:
This is the code for the service mode, write it in the dialer:
*#*#197328640#*#*
When you'r in the Service mode screen, hit: Debug screen->Basic Information and here you go, service mode.

Interested in more info regarding FD ? you can read what I have already read in here.

10. Battery Calibration - Should I do it ?
The answer is simple, if you are using ICS/JB you don't have too because every time you charge the battery to 100% all your data and stats are deleted and the service begins to collect info again from the beginning you can read all about it here and here.
As you can see for ICS/JB users it's a myth nothing more.

If your using GB then you do have to calibrate your battery, there are 2 methods:
  • Charge your phone untill you have reached 100% boot into recovery and delete battery stats ('Advance -> Delete battery stats').
  • Download battery calibration app and follow the steps that are mentioned in the 'Description' of the app and in the app.

11. Network/operator modem support - How to tell if your modem meet your network standards
CM USERS DON'T USE THIS STEP IT WILL BREAK YOUR RIL AND YOU WILL HAVE NO RECEPTION
Every network/operator support a specific version of modem, this means that if you will use their modem, 90% of the time your reception will be solid without any disconnections, if your modem doesn't support, then you will sure have disconnections which will lead into more battery drains (no receptions=phone will search for antennas even though there is one).
Notice: There is a chance that even though you have or don't have their modem you might have or might not have disconnections (confused ? me too.)
How to check:
Download GetRIL, Open the app and see if your RIL/Baseband (aka modem) is matching, if they are (written in green), your good to go and you can remove the app.
If they are not, here is what you need to do:
Under 'Baseband' you have 'recommended':

You can see that LQ6 & LPB are supporting my network, we will now tap this:

and look for LPB & LQ6, after we found it we will choose it and tap: 'Download & install'.
When your done restart your phone and check again (GetRIL) that now your modem is now supporting by your network, if so, remove the app.

12. Variance:
  • Play store app: Hit the option touch key and untick - 'Notifications' & 'Google AdMob Ads'
    When the 'notification' is on, the app is consistently connecting to the server and checking for new versions.
    When 'Google AdMob Ads' is on, the app is always checking your behavior and reporting back to the Google server.
  • 'System settings -> Location services' untick everything.
  • 'System settings -> back up and reset' untick 'Back up my data' and 'Automatic restore'.
    NOTICE: I didn't apply this step for my own device since it only saves 5% battery more or less and it's a service I use, think, if you need it or not,
  • WiFi users: 'System settings -> Wi-Fi -> Advance -> Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep' choose - 'Only when plugged in'.
    This will close the Wi-Fi connection when you turn off your screen.
  • Keep in mind that after you finished using your BT turn it off, since I have specific times I use the BT I use AutomateIt, it's a great app that can control even silent modes.
  • Don't use Facebook app, it drains your battery the most, instead add a shortcut in the desktop for facebook.com link and go to facebook via this link, it looks exactly the same as the app since Android users don't have a native facebook app yet.
  • Don't use live wallpaper
  • Don't use widgets
  • Don't use Haptic Feedbacks
  • Never ever use Task Killer or 'Clear memory' - Android has it’s own task killer that works better than your 'decision making' brain.
  • Screen time out - Don't forget to set it
  • No reception = major battery drains - use airplan mode.
  • Use Nova launcher or better code efficient luanchers.
  • Use ad-blocking app in order to prevent unnecessary network usage in downloading ads, I recommand using AdFree - Open the app and choose: 'Boot Normally' and afterwards choose 'Download& Install hosts', when your done restart your phone.
  • Always charge your phone untill it shows 100% and charge it only if it is below 20-30%
  • Automatic Date & Time option -> untick

13. Learning to read the battery graph:
This is the final step, come back to this step after you're done with all 12 steps, reading the FAQ (Post #3) and you lost at least 70% of your battery since you charged it.​

So you’re here, go to 'System settings -> Battery' and hit the graph bar.
At the bottom you can see 'Screen on' and 'Awake' we will focus on these lines.
Our goal is to achieve 100% overlap between these 2 lines, meaning, when the screen is on, the phone will be awake and when the screen is off we don't want the phone to be awake since we don't use the phone (unless we are-downloading a file).
For example if you see a blue line in the Screen on bar I would like to see at the same time the EXACT size and width in the Awake bar if not, that means we have wakelocks so we need to go to step number 2 again and see who is waking up our phone.
It's really hard to achieve a 100% overlap between these 2 bars, even for me.
Example of a minor wakelock (squared in red):

For conclusion:
You need to be able to get a MINIMUM 3 hours screen time (System settings - >battery - >screen) if not, you're doing something completely wrong.
From my experience you can't get more than 3.5 hours screen time over total use of MORE than 24 hours uptime (Maximum up time I got with the phone is 4 days with almost 3 hours screen time and 1 hour of calls.), however, if you play non-stop with your mobile, from the time you unplugged it, you will get more then 4-5 hours screen time EASY over 5-16 hours uptime:

But of course most of the users don't "act" like that and most of them just "lose" battery over uptime when screen is off.
From my vast experience with battery usage, this is it, either your get 3 hours screen time over moderate usage (long uptime-2 days +) or you get 4-5 hours screen time with aggressive use (short uptime-16 hours top).
Don't let anyone tell you different.​

• This is it for now, this thread will be updated with new tweaks and methods every now and then.

• Please, if you have any questions regarding this thread write them in this thread ONLY and don't send me a private msg.

• I love constructive criticism, so if you have any thoughts or you found a mistake (even in my grammer) PLEASE send me a private msg.

Credits and many thanks to:
  1. droidphile – His amazing articles and threads regarding most of my steps, you helped me a lot!
  2. geko95gek – Who inspired me a lot regarding ExTweaks.
  3. JIMMYMCGEE - FD knowledge and guide.
  4. If I forgot anyone please do let me know :)

If you love this article please do hit the Thanks button and rate this thread 5 stars,also you can hit the "Newsworthy Thread" in the first post if you think this article should get a higher exposure.

If you really appreciate this article you can always buy me some weed - makes me think clearly :)

Thank you.

Last edited:

hyperbolic

Jul 27, 2011
Sin City
FAQ:

1. Q: Which ROM and kernel you're using ?
    A: I am using Wanam ROM (latest version) and Siyah kernel (latest kernel also) CM10.1.3 and Dorimanx 9.41.
    After trying all sort of ROM's I can say that the most stable and reliable ROM's are Samsung based ROM's.
    I am now recommending CM10.1.3 stable ONLY!
  2. Q: After the tweaking and following your entire guide, does the UI will lag/Games will stuck or freeze/App will run slowly ?
    A: Regarding the UI you might feel a little lag (if you were using stock frequencies and voltages) or you might not feel any lag (depends on your launcher), If you install Nova Launcher and use it instead of the TW you won't feel any lag since the Nova launcher is code efficient.
    Regarding the apps, you won't feel any lag unless it's a graphic app or design/CAD app (even this is questionable).
    Regarding the games, you won't feel any lag in most of the games, I played a lot of games for example Dead Trigger/Galaxy on fire 2/Shadowgun/Samuraio II and few more, I didn't feel any lag or what so ever, though I did feel that the loading steps took 1-2 more minutes.
  3. Q: The most used (or 2nd) most used service/app in BBS is 'AuidoOut', how can I minimize it ?
    A: You can minimize the 'Audioout' by unticking: 'System settings -> Sound' , under System, untick them all.
    Plus, in the same window click on "Vibration intensity' and put 'Vibrate on screen tap' on the lowest (0).
  4. Q: I keep getting "Shell have been granted superuser permissions" over and over again and it drains my battery, is there a solution ?
    A: It's a known problem with SuperUser, install SuperSU give it root permissions via superuser, go to app info of superuser hit "Force Close" and afterwards hit "Disable", now SuperSU will handle your root privilege.
  5. Q: I froze Secphone.apk and now I am having weird issues what should I do ?
    A: Obviously you're an idiot since I specifically wrote next to SecPhone.apk: If you're using a different launcher rather than TW you can freeze it.
    So don't freeze Secphone.apk if you are using TouchWiz launcher which is the official launcher by Samsung.
  6. Q: How can I tell if my phone is going into Deep sleep and activates the setCPU profiles ?
    A: In setCPU go to 'Info' tab and tap 'Time In State', you will find a pie chart, if your a common user-that most of the time his screen is off-, you should see that 200mhz has the biggest chunk, if it's not the case then check BBS what is waking your device.
  7. Q: After installing Gemini App Manager I am unable to install/uninstall any app, what should I do ?
    A: You are probably using Screen Filter app, for some reason the install button become unresponsive, disable Screen Filter when you need to install something and enable it again afterwards - Thanks Ryther.
  8. Q: How can I solve BBS wakelocks on the go ?
    Download System Tuner. open the app and go to 'Startups' and look for 'Google service framework' and over there disable both 'checkin.EventLogService'.

More to follow.

Last edited:

Mittaa

Jan 18, 2009
Thanks

I can confirm getting about 3~4 hours of screen time at most during 16~24 hours of usage.

I noticed you wrote something about SetCPU working on stock kernel ... in my experience it does not work even if some people claims so.
SetCPU might be able to change between a limited amount of Governors, but setting Min and Max doesn't work even it looks so (I used some other tool to confirm this). I only tried this on rooted Stock GB, but I think it will be the same on ICS.

hyperbolic

Jul 27, 2011
Sin City
Thanks

I can confirm getting about 3~4 hours of screen time at most during 16~24 hours of usage.

I noticed you wrote something about SetCPU working on stock kernel ... in my experience it does not work even if some people claims so.
SetCPU might be able to change between a limited amount of Governors, but setting Min and Max doesn't work even it looks so (I used some other tool to confirm this). I only tried this on rooted Stock GB, but I think it will be the same on ICS.

Thank you for confirming though you could get more.

and I didn't say what you wrote, I specifically wrote:
If your kernel doesn't support undervolting move to the next step

Does this work on jb rom?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

I didn't try with JB, but I'd love if you could follow each step and report back with results, in my opinion it should be the same.

Thank you for the feedback, please do try all the steps and report back for success.

Reactions: metty1

trikpa

Dec 16, 2010
Zagreb
great tutorial, thank you for your effort! ;)

I followed the steps but I can't find this one in LBE security:

"c.After your done go to the first window (swipe your finger right to go to the first screen)
d.Choose 'Speed boost -> Auto-Start' you will see all the apps that will be put in the cached process EVERY restart you make to your phone, now, this is very important, I only say it once, if you see an app/game that you don't even use or use once a week 'Disallow' it, but if you see an app/game that you use most of the time leave it as it is, why ? Obviously you didn't read step number 1.
"

hyperbolic

Jul 27, 2011
Sin City
great tutorial, thank you for your effort! ;)

I followed the steps but I can't find this one in LBE security:

"c.After your done go to the first window (swipe your finger right to go to the first screen)
d.Choose 'Speed boost -> Auto-Start' you will see all the apps that will be put in the cached process EVERY restart you make to your phone, now, this is very important, I only say it once, if you see an app/game that you don't even use or use once a week 'Disallow' it, but if you see an app/game that you use most of the time leave it as it is, why ? Obviously you didn't read step number 1.
"

Thank you for your positive feedback, please do come back with results and post them here.

91673603.png

As you can see in the picture, this is the first screen you see when you open up LBE,2nd raw is 'Speed Boost' just click it and it will show you new buttons, there you choose 'Auto-Start.

EDIT:
I have added pictures to the main thread for most of the steps and marked in red the specific step.

Last edited:
Reactions: trikpa

trikpa

Dec 16, 2010
Zagreb
I got confused because in my app it says phone accelerate instead of speed boost :)

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

anyway, I'm using these mods since this morning so it is too early to say anything factual about battery life, but I think it is much better...

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

usually I would have about 60 or less % left at this time of day...

hyperbolic

Jul 27, 2011
Sin City
I got confused because in my app it says phone accelerate instead of speed boost :)

anyway, I'm using these mods since this morning so it is too early to say anything factual about battery life, but I think it is much better...

usually I would have about 60 or less % left at this time of day...

Perhaps you downloaded even newer version than mine but I can see you figured it out.

If you used to get 60% and now it's 76%, of course this is an amazing change.
Don't forget to check your screen time before you charge it and make sure it's minimum 3 hours (if the total up-time is above 24 hours).

If you did follow all the steps and did everything as I wrote, I suggest to get into Recovery mode -> Advance -> and reset battery indicators.
or wait 1-2 charges and the battery meter is supposed to acclimate.

hyperbolic

Jul 27, 2011
Sin City

I saw really few users like your self that actually got that time, but I had never got more then 3.5-4 hours max screen time on uptime for more then 24 hours.
I even did EXACTLY what these users told me with their exact config (from 3 different users) but again, I got only 3.5-4 hours screen time max.
So this is my conclusion.

Nice thread, but Gemini app manager block on "updating information" sometimes :x
Thank you.

Yea that's an annoying bug that is happening from time to time.
Just exit the app and open it again.

Last edited:

Kigsuha

May 24, 2012
I saw really few users like your self that actually got that time, but I had never got more then 3.5-4 hours max screen time on uptime for more then 24 hours.
I even did EXACTLY what these users told me with their exact config (from 3 different users) but again, I got only 3.5-4 hours screen time max.
So this is my conclusion.

Thank you.

Yea that's an annoying bug that is happening from time to time.
Just exit the app and open it again.

I found solution, it only happens when after taping "config autorun (root)" and switching fast thing to off.
So i have to wait :cyclops:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Last update: 7.10.13

attachment.php
    This is the complete guide of how to handle your battery in the most efficient way possible.(GB/ICS/JB version).​

This guide refers to Android users in general (Samsung, HTC etc..) in addition to SGS2 users.

attachment.php

ROOT: Yes.
    ROM: Any rom will do.
    Kernel: Siyah/Dorimanx is preferred but any other will be fine.
    Human features: Patience :)

attachment.php

After an extensive research regarding 'how Android OS works' and reading hundreds of pages (yes 1000 pages in 1 thread) in XDA regarding topics such as: BBS (BetterBatterStats), MagicConfig by geko95gek, Kernel Info, Kernel Governors, Modules, I/O Schedulers, CPU Tweaks, AIO App Configs by droidphile etc, I have come to conclusion that there is currently no better configuration than mine.
    I almost don't have wakelocks, during the night (7 hours sleep) I have between 3-4% drain which is really good, of course, you can get better drain ,for example, 1 % during a whole night BUT users like that turn off their data connection OR switch to airplane mode, I really don't like doing that but of course you could do that too and enjoy your 1% drain.

Before I wrote this guide I tried these configurations in 5 different infinite sgs2 mobile phones of my friends and Nexus devices, they all were blown away from the results they experienced from their battery.

I wrote this guide because XDA users have helped me a lot in all the aspects of Android, so now I can help the XDA community too.

attachment.php

Last update:7/10/13
    Step 2 updated with solutions on the go.
    Step 3 is now LBE version 5 compatible.
    Step 4 updated for Dorimanx users as well.

Faq Updated

attachment.php

Post #1
    2. Monitoring the wakelocks
    3. LBE security manager: internet permissions & prevent apps to be put in cached after a restart
    4. ExTweaks/STweaks & governors - Siyah/Dorimanx kernel users ONLY!
    5. Undervolting & Governors
      Post #2
    6. Freezing google/Samsung apps using Titanium Backup Pro
    7. Screen Brightness
    8. Accounts & sync
    10. Battery calibration - Should I do it ?
    12. Variance
    13. Learning to read the battery graph
      Post #3
      FAQ

When you're done with the guide please do come back and share your results with us.

I'll try to simplify things as much as I can so the common user could understand.
    Let's begin,
    When you develop an app in Android there are options for you (as a developer) to let the app start during a different time or a different change, sometimes it is really essential, for example our build in Alarm clock(Also: Widget/Music player), we need it to start the alarm in a specific time thus this process is important and it will open up by "it self".
    Counter example is a simple game or a weather app, we only use it once in a while and after we use it we don't need the process anymore so we close it, but most of the time the developer add all sort of commands to start the process even when we don't use this exact process, for example if we boot the device/click on the media app button the app will go into cached processes (System settings->Applications->Running->Click on cached processes), but let's say it's an app we use once a week or a game we play once a week, there is no need to put this app in the cached processes (since it consumes the battery) so this is why we would like to close this option.
    Notice – When you open an app and close it the process is still in the cached processes because if you open it again, it will open in a sec (since it's in the cached processes)and that’s a good and efficient thing, but if you close it from the cached processes you will only make things worse because when you open it AGAIN the Android OS will AGAIN, put the app in the cached processes and this is yet again will consume the battery.

How to tell if you can turn off or not in an app/game:
    Basically the idea is this,
    • If we are talking about an app that the whole very existence is to do things by it self (Playing songs/Setting alarms/Auto-commands apps) then of course we won't turn anything off.
    • If we are talking about a type of apps that their whole process is to do something particularly which will take place only when we open the app (Bar-code scanner/Weather app/Shazam/Office apps/GPS apps/Games so of course we will turn everything off.
    • If we are talking about ROOT apps so I suggest not to touch anything.

First thing you will do is to download Gemini App Manager 2.6.0, this app will handle these wakelocks and as we already mentioned will give us full control over 'when to put/not to put the app in the cached processes/running services'.
    DON'T UPDATE TO VERSION 2.7 - THE NEW VERSION HAS NO WORKING EXPERT MODE ! ! !
    After you downloaded the app, open it,
    • Hit the option touch key (left to the home button) and go to 'Expert Mode', you will find there, all the applications your phone contains. What we are looking for is the orange icon the says 'AUTO' under each app:

once you find an app/game with this icon, think, and ask yourself "Do I need this app/game to open up by it self?" (See the examples with the clock app above).
      If your answer is "NO!" (90% of the cases the answer is no-read above when the answer is YES), then press this app/game for about 2-3 seconds, a window will open and choose 'ConfigAutorun (root)'.
    • A new window will appear with all sort of commands: On package added, on app widget update, After boot etc, as you can tell the name of the command does what it says for example: 'On package added' -> if you added a package to the app, the app will be put in cached process.
      Change to OFF all the commands:

and there you go, this app will never fool around!
    2. Monitoring the wakelocks:
    Download the app: BBS
    BetterBatteryStats aka BBS: Why do I need this app ?
    After you managed to finish step number 1, you can now install BBS on your system.
    Once your done open it and choose partial wakelocks, we will focus on this section.
    Charge your device to 100% and when it reaches 10% or so, open BBS hit the options touch key and choose 'Dump to file':

this will generate a .txt file with all the apps/games that did wake your phone and caused drains.
    "BUT HEY I DON'T UNDERSTAND ANYTHING FROM THIS FILE AND THIS APP IS HARD TO UNDERSTAND!!!", first you need to relax and go to the BBS thread BBS, the developer is kind enough to let you put the file there and he will look it over and tell you what is the main problem you should focus, and decide if to remove the app or maybe change something in the setting of the app.
    If you want to learn about this log file and understand it better just read the thread (like I did) it contains more than 1000 pages, so after 10-20 you will have some clue about this app.
    Remember, this is the BEST application that can track your battery drains and tell even if your kernel is waking up the phone, just dig in BBS and you will see, there is no other alternative than BBS, remember that and don't ask for a substitute.

Q: How can I solve BBS wakelocks on the go ?
    ALSO, read the FAQ.

3. LBE security manager: internet permissions & prevent apps to be put in cached after a restart: version 5+
    We all know that every time we go to the inet (not via wifi) we are starting to see an immediate battery drain.
    The best way is to install a firewall app (which is MUCH more than that btw and it's free) that will control our inet pipe.
    The user zagzag99 was kind enough to translate the latest version (4) of that app (Notice that in Play store it's version 3 ONLY) get it here: LBE Security
    After you installed the app,
    • Tap on More -> Permissions -> All apps
    • Now you are looking at all your apps/games (including system app by tapping on 'Download' on the left and choosing 'System'), by clicking on one of the app/game you would see the permissions the app wants from your phone, if it is a game that you play offline then why does this game want to go online? More-than that, why the game wants to access my call records!?
      This is why you won't allow it and eventually you'll close the inet pipe and the rest for each app/game you don't want to go online or even get your precious information.
    • After your done we will now deal with the auto start issue.
      Repeat step a, and choose a random app, as you can see the first option in every app is 'On boot permissions' so you can turn it off or back on.
      Now, this is very important, I only say it once, if you see an app/game that you don't even use or use once a week 'turn it off', but if you see an app/game that you use most of the time leave it as it is, why ? Obviously you didn't read step number 1.
    4. ExTweaks/STweaks& governors - Siyah/Dorimanx kernel users ONLY! **Unless you can undervolt with your kernel**
    Download STweaks, if you want to understand what each command/line does please read up: Here or you can just do what I tell you to and enjoy better battery.
    First of all I want to thank geko95gek who inspired me a lot regarding STweaks .
    Open STweaks,

CPU tab:
    MAX OC FREQUENCY: 1000000Khz

CPU_UV tab:
    You can undervolt here or in setCPU (See step 5).
    Be advise #1: for some reason Siyah V6b5 doesn't save the changes after reboot BUT setCPU does.
    Be advise #2: Dorimanx users are good to go.

GPU tab: - SGS2 users input - Different devices try to lower 1 step back.
    Siyah steps:
    GPU FREQ STEP1: 54Mhz
    GPU FREQ STEP2: 108Mhz
    GPU FREQ STEP3: 160Mhz
    GPU FREQ STEP4: 200Mhz
    GPU VOLTAGE LEVEL1: 850mV
    GPU VOLTAGE LEVEL2: 900mV
    GPU VOLTAGE LEVEL3: 950mV

Dorimanx steps: (Basically the default)
    GPU FREQ STEP1: 108Mhz
    GPU FREQ STEP2: 160Mhz
    GPU FREQ STEP3: 200Mhz
    GPU FREQ STEP4: 267Mhz
    GPU VOLTAGE LEVEL1: 900mV
    GPU VOLTAGE LEVEL2: 950mV
    GPU VOLTAGE LEVEL3: 1000mV

You're DONE!

5. Undervolting& Governors:
    Be advise: If your kernel doesn't support undervolting move to the next step, but I recommend to use a kernel that has support because when the phone is in deep sleep or on 200mhz (when you're not using it) you could save a lot of battery.
    Be advise #2:I am going to recommend the use of setCPU and STweaks (Siyah/Dorimanx kernel only - if you don't have siyah you can do this step also as long as your kernel support undervolt), a lot of people wouldn't recommend the use of these apps together since they MIGHT conflict with each other, BUT if you will go through this step and read carefully it wouldn't be a problem in fact, it will work just fine :)

Download setCPU, if you want the latest version you can buy it in the Play store (support the developer).
    Version 2.2.4 would be fine too, if you want to understand what each governor means and what is cfq please read up: Here and Here or (if you’re a lazy ass user) you can just do what I tell you to and enjoy your battery:

Open setCPU,

Main screen:
    change to 200-1000 Mhz (it should be like it since you already changed it in ExTweaks) and tick 'Set on boot', also make sure 'ondemand' and 'ROW/CFQ' are chosen as governor/io :

Profiles:
    • Make a new profile and choose 'Add Condition -> Screen On/Off' and choose 'Screen off' and save.
      Hit next and choose 200-500Mhz, tick 'Set the CPU governor' and choose 'conservative'.
      Choose priority 50.
      This profile will make sure while the screen is off there won't be any jumps to high frequencies.
    • Make another new profile and choose 'Add Condition -> Battery level' and choose '10%' and save.
      Hit next and choose 200-800Mhz, tick 'Set the CPU governor' and choose 'conservative'.
      Priority is 49.
      This profile will let you squeeze the last 10% of the battery like they were 20% but the UI will lag.
      Tick those profiles and tick 'Enable Profiles' at the bottom.
      Results of step a & b :

Voltages Screen: (Only supported kernels)
    Be advice: This stage is the most exhausting, annoying and irritating stage you could ever find but in the end it's worth every second.​
    Since we put a range of 200-900Mhz we will focus on these frequencies only (of course if you decide to put the range between 200-1200Mhz you will focus on them only).
    We will scroll down and look for 200Mhz, 1st white row represent the default mV that Samsung has put in order to max UI, and 2nd white row represent your mV change,but we are smarter than old Samy so we will start to change.

200Mhz – Is usually between 825-875mV it varies between each phone (each phone has different ROM/Kerenl)
    So you ask yourself, which mV should I choose?
    Well my friends, that’s the 1 million dollar question, let's say you chose 850mV:
    • Touch the 200Mhz and change it to 850mV afterwards hit the 'Right icon' next to the save icon
    • if your phone is still working and didn't get stuck go back to the 'MAIN' tab and choose 200-200Mhz (yes exactly like that) and then we will go to the 'INFO' tab, scroll down and choose 'Stress test':

if 'Sress Test' ran for about 4-5 mins and everything is still working, you can stop it by pressing the back key and it means we can continue to the next stage.
    • Download Stability Test
      Open the app and choose Classic stability test – this will ensure the test of only the 200Mhz frequency.
    • If after step b&c your phone is still working that means that the undervolt you chose is working great. (It doesn't mean that your phone won't freeze-it might), you can undervolt more and see what is your limit.
    • Do the same process to all the frequencies, of course if you're in 500Mhz you choose the main profile (setCPU) 300-300Mhz in order to test only this frequency.
    • When you're done, change back in setCPU'MAIN' tab to 200-1000Mhz, go back to Stability test and now choose Scaling Stability Test, let it run for 10-20mins, if there are no errors you're good to go.
    • Play with the phone for few days, if it hasn't frozen go to setCPU 'VOLTAGES' tab and tick at the bottom 'Set On Boot'.
      Notice: My recommendation is to set on boot in the end of the process because if you choose a really low MV your phone might be stuck in an endless loop, thus you tick 'set on boot', only, if you are sure your system is stable.
      Final Result:
      [img=http://imageshack.us/thumbnmail.png]

My voltages (SGS2 Device):
    200Mhz – 850mV
    500Mhz – 925mV
    800Mhz – 975mV
    1000Mhz – 1075mV

Notice: This undervolt method is the most aggressiveness method around, if you want the easy way and you have Siyah kernel you can open ExTweaks/STweaks and in the "Undervolting" choose -25 or -50, this will undervolt ALL the frequencies together with minus 25 or 50, if your brave you can try 75.
    My method gives you a specific voltage to each frequency, in 200mhz you can have minus 75mV while in 500mhz minus 50mv, this will give you the best undervolt system.​

Continued on next post...
    6. Freezing google/Samsung apps using Titanium Backup Pro:
    If you didn't buy the app yet, well, you’re an idiot: Titanium Backup Pro or you can use a free substitute (though I never tried it) Root Uninstaller
    After you bought the app, open it and go to 'Backup/Restore' tab:

in there, you can see all your apps/games AND system apps, we will be focusing on the system apps.
    NOTICE: If you're using CM rom you can skip this step since they did hell of a job in removing all Samsung/Android bloat-ware.

Our main goal is to freeze processes that common users don't use and don't even know they have, I won't write all the list of the apps you should freeze but I will write all the apps you will freeze that are consuming your battery like a *****:
    • Email 4.0 – this is stock mail full of bugs and infinite loops that go online and check for mail, if you don't have gmail account please use a 3rd party app like AquaMail/MailDroid that will give you minimum bugs for the check interval.
    • Exchane Service 3.1 – Belongs to Email 4.0
    • Kies via Wi-Fi – I wouldn't say it consumes your battery but it's an unsecured protocol by Samsung, use a 3rd party app like AirDroid
    • Maps – If you're not using it FREEZE THIS APP ASAP! If you do use I suggest unfreezing every time you need it and freeze again when you're not using it (sorry).
    • MAPService – Belongs to Maps.
    • Samsung Account – Do I really need to explain? (Including all the Samsung hubs and chats and whatever they come up)
    • SecPhone 1.0 – If you're using a different launcher rather than TW you can freeze it.
    • Software Update – We don't need it, we flash our ROMS :)
    • Street View – belongs to Maps.
    • Talk – I find that even if I freeze it (gtalk) it's still waking the phone so your choice.
    • Talkback – Samsung try to overtake Whatsapp.
    • Wi-Fi Direct & Wi-Fi sharing & Wi-Fi sharing manager – you don't need it.

Of course if you're using stock ROM you have A LOT of freezing to do, you can use this thread and of course this amazing list
    Or you can Google for more apps that are safe to remove.

7. Screen Brightness:
    If you don't know, the most battery consuming part of the phone is the screen.
    Go to 'System Settings -> Display -> Brightness' and choose 'automatic brightness'.
    For the users that want to maximize even more (YES WE WANT EXTREME!!) try to lower the brightness as low as you can, 20-30%.
    Recently I've noticed that there are new apps that you adjust screen brightness by each pixel and a lot more, you can Google that, but I prefer to be able to see things crystal clear.

8. Accounts & sync:
    Everyone is recommending, in order to save battery, to go to 'System settings -> Accounts and sync' and to turn it off, of course it will save A LOT of battery, but, if you have a gmail account and you want to be notified as soon as you get an email,you can't turn it off.
    What you can do is:
    • Hit your @gmail.com account, and 'untick' everything except 'Sync Gmail', this will assure that you will get your emails via PUSH (PUSH is the most battery efficient protocol - at real time):

• Don't forget to sync your contacts/calender once in a while or before you flash a rom.
    • If you don't want to get your emails instantly then remove your gmail account and download a 3rd party app like MailDroid/AquaMail and set interval for every hour or every 4 hours, this will assure that there will be absolute no wakelocks but only every 1 hour or 4 ( as you chose).
    • If you choose to keep auto sync there is one disadvantage:
      If you don't have a good reception 'sync' option will go completely crazy and keep asking to go online and sync your email (since you're on PUSH) but it won't be able to, since you don't have a good reception and it will go like this in an infinite loop till you have a decent reception and as you can already understand while your screen is off, the phone is awake and trying to sync, so keep that in mind.

First of all you need to understand that not every network/operator support FD (Fast Dormacy).
    My network doesn't support FD thus if I'll disable or enable it, it wouldn't make any different, in fact if you disabled it and you think your battery is now "OMG FUKCING AMAZING" this is just a placebo effect, and yes I am 110% positive.

How do I check if my network support this tweak ?
    The user JIMMYMCGEE from xda made an amazing guide you need to follow (in fact it's a video clip - which is easier).
    She first explain what is FD and afterwards explains how to check if you have FD and if you do, how it can save you battery.
    Follow this guide and all his steps here.
    NOTICE: If the app that shows you your network stats (service mode) doesn't work and only opens your dialer, this is what you need to do:
    This is the code for the service mode, write it in the dialer:
    *#*#197328640#*#*
    When you'r in the Service mode screen, hit: Debug screen->Basic Information and here you go, service mode.

Interested in more info regarding FD ? you can read what I have already read in here.

10. Battery Calibration - Should I do it ?
    The answer is simple, if you are using ICS/JB you don't have too because every time you charge the battery to 100% all your data and stats are deleted and the service begins to collect info again from the beginning you can read all about it here and here.
    As you can see for ICS/JB users it's a myth nothing more.

If your using GB then you do have to calibrate your battery, there are 2 methods:
    • Charge your phone untill you have reached 100% boot into recovery and delete battery stats ('Advance -> Delete battery stats').
    • Download battery calibration app and follow the steps that are mentioned in the 'Description' of the app and in the app.

CM USERS DON'T USE THIS STEP IT WILL BREAK YOUR RIL AND YOU WILL HAVE NO RECEPTION
    Every network/operator support a specific version of modem, this means that if you will use their modem, 90% of the time your reception will be solid without any disconnections, if your modem doesn't support, then you will sure have disconnections which will lead into more battery drains (no receptions=phone will search for antennas even though there is one).
    Notice: There is a chance that even though you have or don't have their modem you might have or might not have disconnections (confused ? me too.)
    How to check:
    Download GetRIL, Open the app and see if your RIL/Baseband (aka modem) is matching, if they are (written in green), your good to go and you can remove the app.
    If they are not, here is what you need to do:
    Under 'Baseband' you have 'recommended':

You can see that LQ6 & LPB are supporting my network, we will now tap this:

and look for LPB & LQ6, after we found it we will choose it and tap: 'Download & install'.
    When your done restart your phone and check again (GetRIL) that now your modem is now supporting by your network, if so, remove the app.

12. Variance:
    • Play store app: Hit the option touch key and untick - 'Notifications' & 'Google AdMob Ads'
      When the 'notification' is on, the app is consistently connecting to the server and checking for new versions.
      When 'Google AdMob Ads' is on, the app is always checking your behavior and reporting back to the Google server.
    • 'System settings -> Location services' untick everything.
    • 'System settings -> back up and reset' untick 'Back up my data' and 'Automatic restore'.
      NOTICE: I didn't apply this step for my own device since it only saves 5% battery more or less and it's a service I use, think, if you need it or not,
    • WiFi users: 'System settings -> Wi-Fi -> Advance -> Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep' choose - 'Only when plugged in'.
      This will close the Wi-Fi connection when you turn off your screen.
    • Keep in mind that after you finished using your BT turn it off, since I have specific times I use the BT I use AutomateIt, it's a great app that can control even silent modes.
    • Don't use Facebook app, it drains your battery the most, instead add a shortcut in the desktop for facebook.com link and go to facebook via this link, it looks exactly the same as the app since Android users don't have a native facebook app yet.
    • Don't use live wallpaper
    • Don't use widgets
    • Don't use Haptic Feedbacks
    • Never ever use Task Killer or 'Clear memory' - Android has it’s own task killer that works better than your 'decision making' brain.
    • Screen time out - Don't forget to set it
    • No reception = major battery drains - use airplan mode.
    • Use Nova launcher or better code efficient luanchers.
    • Use ad-blocking app in order to prevent unnecessary network usage in downloading ads, I recommand using AdFree - Open the app and choose: 'Boot Normally' and afterwards choose 'Download& Install hosts', when your done restart your phone.
    • Always charge your phone untill it shows 100% and charge it only if it is below 20-30%
    • Automatic Date & Time option -> untick

13. Learning to read the battery graph:
    This is the final step, come back to this step after you're done with all 12 steps, reading the FAQ (Post #3) and you lost at least 70% of your battery since you charged it.​

So you’re here, go to 'System settings -> Battery' and hit the graph bar.
    At the bottom you can see 'Screen on' and 'Awake' we will focus on these lines.
    Our goal is to achieve 100% overlap between these 2 lines, meaning, when the screen is on, the phone will be awake and when the screen is off we don't want the phone to be awake since we don't use the phone (unless we are-downloading a file).
    For example if you see a blue line in the Screen on bar I would like to see at the same time the EXACT size and width in the Awake bar if not, that means we have wakelocks so we need to go to step number 2 again and see who is waking up our phone.
    It's really hard to achieve a 100% overlap between these 2 bars, even for me.
    Example of a minor wakelock (squared in red):

For conclusion:
    You need to be able to get a MINIMUM 3 hours screen time (System settings - >battery - >screen) if not, you're doing something completely wrong.
    From my experience you can't get more than 3.5 hours screen time over total use of MORE than 24 hours uptime (Maximum up time I got with the phone is 4 days with almost 3 hours screen time and 1 hour of calls.), however, if you play non-stop with your mobile, from the time you unplugged it, you will get more then 4-5 hours screen time EASY over 5-16 hours uptime:

But of course most of the users don't "act" like that and most of them just "lose" battery over uptime when screen is off.
    From my vast experience with battery usage, this is it, either your get 3 hours screen time over moderate usage (long uptime-2 days +) or you get 4-5 hours screen time with aggressive use (short uptime-16 hours top).
    Don't let anyone tell you different.​

• This is it for now, this thread will be updated with new tweaks and methods every now and then.

• Please, if you have any questions regarding this thread write them in this thread ONLY and don't send me a private msg.

• I love constructive criticism, so if you have any thoughts or you found a mistake (even in my grammer) PLEASE send me a private msg.

Credits and many thanks to:
    1. droidphile – His amazing articles and threads regarding most of my steps, you helped me a lot!
    2. geko95gek – Who inspired me a lot regarding ExTweaks.
    3. JIMMYMCGEE - FD knowledge and guide.
    4. If I forgot anyone please do let me know :)

If you love this article please do hit the Thanks button and rate this thread 5 stars,also you can hit the "Newsworthy Thread" in the first post if you think this article should get a higher exposure.

If you really appreciate this article you can always buy me some weed - makes me think clearly :)

Thank you.
    FAQ:

1. Q: Which ROM and kernel you're using ?
      A: I am using Wanam ROM (latest version) and Siyah kernel (latest kernel also) CM10.1.3 and Dorimanx 9.41.
      After trying all sort of ROM's I can say that the most stable and reliable ROM's are Samsung based ROM's.
      I am now recommending CM10.1.3 stable ONLY!
    2. Q: After the tweaking and following your entire guide, does the UI will lag/Games will stuck or freeze/App will run slowly ?
      A: Regarding the UI you might feel a little lag (if you were using stock frequencies and voltages) or you might not feel any lag (depends on your launcher), If you install Nova Launcher and use it instead of the TW you won't feel any lag since the Nova launcher is code efficient.
      Regarding the apps, you won't feel any lag unless it's a graphic app or design/CAD app (even this is questionable).
      Regarding the games, you won't feel any lag in most of the games, I played a lot of games for example Dead Trigger/Galaxy on fire 2/Shadowgun/Samuraio II and few more, I didn't feel any lag or what so ever, though I did feel that the loading steps took 1-2 more minutes.
    3. Q: The most used (or 2nd) most used service/app in BBS is 'AuidoOut', how can I minimize it ?
      A: You can minimize the 'Audioout' by unticking: 'System settings -> Sound' , under System, untick them all.
      Plus, in the same window click on "Vibration intensity' and put 'Vibrate on screen tap' on the lowest (0).
    4. Q: I keep getting "Shell have been granted superuser permissions" over and over again and it drains my battery, is there a solution ?
      A: It's a known problem with SuperUser, install SuperSU give it root permissions via superuser, go to app info of superuser hit "Force Close" and afterwards hit "Disable", now SuperSU will handle your root privilege.
    5. Q: I froze Secphone.apk and now I am having weird issues what should I do ?
      A: Obviously you're an idiot since I specifically wrote next to SecPhone.apk: If you're using a different launcher rather than TW you can freeze it.
      So don't freeze Secphone.apk if you are using TouchWiz launcher which is the official launcher by Samsung.
    6. Q: How can I tell if my phone is going into Deep sleep and activates the setCPU profiles ?
      A: In setCPU go to 'Info' tab and tap 'Time In State', you will find a pie chart, if your a common user-that most of the time his screen is off-, you should see that 200mhz has the biggest chunk, if it's not the case then check BBS what is waking your device.
    7. Q: After installing Gemini App Manager I am unable to install/uninstall any app, what should I do ?
      A: You are probably using Screen Filter app, for some reason the install button become unresponsive, disable Screen Filter when you need to install something and enable it again afterwards - Thanks Ryther.
    8. Q: How can I solve BBS wakelocks on the go ?

More to follow.
    Hi, thankyou for a very useful thread.

May I suggest SystemCleanup by as a free alternative to GeminiAppManager. It seems to offer similar services.

Also, users of >= cm-10.1 (at least on GalaxyS2 i9100) must be warned NOT TO USE GetRIL, because they have a new open source ril library and GetRIL will break this.
    Screenshot_2014-01-18-11-36-39.png

Screenshot_2014-01-18-11-36-44.png

Screenshot_2014-01-18-11-28-12.pngfew years ago i bought my first smartphone.learned flashing through xda by reading and learning and trying. most of the fun for me is the tweaking and flashing a.s.o.....came across this page and tried everything today. will see the results after tonight. but i am already experiencing better battery life. you are a WIZARD :p . it takes a bit of reading but really worth the while. not so very hard to do.rooting, flashing and tweaking.... i learned it all with the help of the xda community. i am 50 years old and dutch speaking .... so if i can do this anyone can, if you speak English..last but not least.... great tutorial!!! thanks a lot :good: