[Guide][TWRP] Lets make Blackphone 2 great again

Search This thread

chape199

Nov 5, 2012
IM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR PHONE.

Hello there. I own bp2 since last year. So in order to avoid lags and poor battery performance im gonna write this guide.
So thanks to this i achieved a new phone, without battery drain, a very good battery and cpu temp, and almost root access.

These modifications are made on 3.0.14 ROM, I dont know if this works if your blackphone runs another version.
You can install 3.0.14 here

1. First of all you need to flash TWRP. Download and instructions here
2. Once flashed do not reboot system, type
HTML:
fastboot reboot
and press vol+ to enter twrp.

3. Now it will asks you to allow modifications, NEVER do that, always press "Keep Read Only" because you will get bootloop if you mount system as rw.
More info about that here

4. Now flash magisk, then reboot and install magisk apk. Download from here
NOTE: I dont know why but you need a microsd card in order to flash files, because twrp cant mount /data
NOTE 2: At this point you dont have su BUT you can install magisk modules (yes, xposed too).

Now lets give BP2 Pixel's style.

5. Download this script to remove all Google stuff, yes, just do it. I recommend the EXTREME one.

6. Flash it trough recovery and wipe chache/dalvik. do not reboot yet.

7. Now lets flash Gapps again, updated and modular. Just go to this page and select your desired package. I recommend AROMA not only because you install what you need, but you can remove stock apps (calculator, fmradio, stock email, etc). http://opengapps.org/

8. Now, yes, you can boot system.

9. I also made this script to remove all SilentCircle stuff. Just flash it.
NOTE 3: I wrote this script before removing gapps and that things i explained, so let me know wichs apps still get installed and i will add to the script. Also let me know what apps you want to remove.

Screenshots:

Updating...

Last edited:

notelinos

Dec 13, 2015
script not ok

hello. when i flash your script my phone goes on bootloop
i flash it trought TWRP cause my phone cant see any microsd card
i thing the sd slot of my phone have problem
but my phone goes bootloop after flash BP2_Bloatware
can you sent me any sugestion? Thanks a lot

storkinsj

Jun 21, 2018
But how is the phone?

About to spring for a BP2 but ... just out of curiosity:

The reason to own this phone is for the sandboxing and some of the applications that monitor and block application permissions. If you're removing those just to have a fast android phone ... not sure why you bought this one. The camera isn't even any good.

I just want to run basically unmodified. 2 years and many updates have passed since @polartux talked about battery draining Apps and just curious how the latest OS is? Also if I want to install applications I have developed myself (or get a couple off of the google app store) can I assume that's possible? Preciously LITTLE information about those things online. And I have emailed sales multiple times never got a single response. Kind of scary lol.

So :
-can I do ADK dev on this thing?
-has the stock OS gotten better?
-Can I install pandora (or whatever)?

Cheers!

chape199

Nov 5, 2012
hello. when i flash your script my phone goes on bootloop
i flash it trought TWRP cause my phone cant see any microsd card
i thing the sd slot of my phone have problem
but my phone goes bootloop after flash BP2_Bloatware
can you sent me any sugestion? Thanks a lot
Hello, that's a big problem. You must flash files from SD card instead of internal, if you flash from internal storage youll get boot loop and I don't know how to solve that

Enviado desde mi PRO 5 mediante Tapatalk

chape199

Nov 5, 2012
About to spring for a BP2 but ... just out of curiosity:

The reason to own this phone is for the sandboxing and some of the applications that monitor and block application permissions. If you're removing those just to have a fast android phone ... not sure why you bought this one. The camera isn't even any good.

I just want to run basically unmodified. 2 years and many updates have passed since @polartux talked about battery draining Apps and just curious how the latest OS is? Also if I want to install applications I have developed myself (or get a couple off of the google app store) can I assume that's possible? Preciously LITTLE information about those things online. And I have emailed sales multiple times never got a single response. Kind of scary lol.

So :
-can I do ADK dev on this thing?
-has the stock OS gotten better?
-Can I install pandora (or whatever)?

Cheers!
Sorry mate but I don't know, I'm not a dev. I only posted this to help.

Enviado desde mi PRO 5 mediante Tapatalk

dgc1

Oct 30, 2018

Hello there. I own bp2 since last year. So in order to avoid lags and poor battery performance im gonna write this guide.
So thanks to this i achieved a new phone, without battery drain, a very good battery and cpu temp, and almost root access.

These modifications are made on 3.0.14 ROM, I dont know if this works if your blackphone runs another version.

HTML:
fastboot reboot

3. Now it will asks you to allow modifications, NEVER do that, always press "Keep Read Only" because you will get bootloop if you mount system as rw.

NOTE: I dont know why but you need a microsd card in order to flash files, because twrp cant mount /data
NOTE 2: At this point you dont have su BUT you can install magisk modules (yes, xposed too).

5. Download this script to remove all Google stuff, yes, just do it. I recommend the EXTREME one.

7. Now lets flash Gapps again, updated and modular. Just go to this page and select your desired package. I recommend AROMA not only because you install what you need, but you can remove stock apps (calculator, fmradio, stock email, etc). http://opengapps.org/

NOTE 3: I wrote this script before removing gapps and that things i explained, so let me know wichs apps still get installed and i will add to the script. Also let me know what apps you want to remove.

Screenshots:

Updating...

I am having a problem, every time I try and install Magisk thro' TWRP I get "failed to verify whole file signature" and "signature verification failed", I can install BP2 9, 10, 11 and 14 zips without any problems. Bloatware zip also throws up the same messages. may need a step by step instruction. As before TWRP is installed and BP2 11 doe's not brick the phone, not sure what 14 will do, thought it would brick the phone. Many thanks

chape199

Nov 5, 2012
I am having a problem, every time I try and install Magisk thro' TWRP I get "failed to verify whole file signature" and "signature verification failed", I can install BP2 9, 10, 11 and 14 zips without any problems. Bloatware zip also throws up the same messages. may need a step by step instruction. As before TWRP is installed and BP2 11 doe's not brick the phone, not sure what 14 will do, thought it would brick the phone. Many thanks

Hi, i dont use the bp2 anymore since past year but i remember that you have to flash the zips from external sdcard, never use twrp to flash files trough internal. Maybe thats the problem. Hope ive helped you.

speed_boy

Dec 6, 2008
I personally have another problem. I can't see TWRP.
Just black screen.
So i'm trying to fight with it using adb shell...
If I have a root and run all scripts mentioned here, I will explain it here later...

David_h99

Nov 20, 2012
BP2 boot to TWRP

Hi All,
I have read several thread and web pages on how to root, install twrp, rom etc and I can not get it to work.
I was able to update the BP2 to 3.0.14 from .9

All I want to do is change to a custom rom.
I did the following:
-enable USB debugging
-enable oem unlock
-installed platform tools on PC
-adb reboot bootloader
-fastboot devices - phone is there
-fastboot oem unlock-go
-reboot - phone appears to be unlocked
-fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
>Sending 'boot.img' (17392 KB) OKAY [ 0.545s]
>Booting OKAY [ 0.040s]
>Finished. Total time: 0.596s
-fastboot reboot
reboots to blank screen
Do over, and when fastboot reboot, I hold down Volume+
still get blank screen

Any ideas?

Last edited:

speed_boy

Dec 6, 2008
Hi All,
still get blank screen
Any ideas?

It's because the screen not supported by TWRP.
When you run TWRP you should see all your files in windows by USB cable, right? Hope you put SD card in it.

So you are the same boat like me.
ROOT still doesn't work for me btw, but i have a few commands:
0) run twrp (probably it disappeared for you and stock recovery back, so i'm running it like that in download mode:
fastboot.exe boot twrp-3.4.0-0-bp2.img

1) open shell: adb shell

in the shell:

for install magisk:
twrp install /external_sd/Magisk-v21.1.zip
you have to have this file on sd card okay? =)

To rill bloatware:
twrp install /external_sd/BP2_Bloatware.zip

To kill google stuff will be not so easy because it will ask you questions on the screen.
So i've repacked it to force version without questions (will attach my version here)
twrp install /external_sd/G-Killer_v3_forced.zip

Then you need to install open gapps
twrp install /external_sd/open_gapps-arm-6.0-pico-20201113.zip

If you want to decrypt DATA partition then:
cat /etc/fstab
look for numbers for your DATA partition
then do format:
make_ext4fs /dev/block/mmcblk0p33
your end will be different possibly.

Then disable dm verify:
twrp install /external_sd/Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_11.02.2020.zip
take it here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/software/universal-dm-verity-forceencrypt-t3817389

and final reboot:
reboot

Anyway ROOT just simply doesn't work. I was fighting with it a lot of hours :)
tried super su also without any luck.

Hope it helps you somehow.

Attachments

• G-Killer_v3_forced.zip
    121.5 KB · Views: 5

David_h99

Nov 20, 2012
It's because the screen not supported by TWRP.
When you run TWRP you should see all your files in windows by USB cable, right? Hope you put SD card in it.

So you are the same boat like me.
ROOT still doesn't work for me btw, but i have a few commands:
0) run twrp (probably it disappeared for you and stock recovery back, so i'm running it like that in download mode:
fastboot.exe boot twrp-3.4.0-0-bp2.img

1) open shell: adb shell

in the shell:

for install magisk:
twrp install /external_sd/Magisk-v21.1.zip
you have to have this file on sd card okay? =)

To rill bloatware:
twrp install /external_sd/BP2_Bloatware.zip

To kill google stuff will be not so easy because it will ask you questions on the screen.
So i've repacked it to force version without questions (will attach my version here)
twrp install /external_sd/G-Killer_v3_forced.zip

Then you need to install open gapps
twrp install /external_sd/open_gapps-arm-6.0-pico-20201113.zip

If you want to decrypt DATA partition then:
cat /etc/fstab
look for numbers for your DATA partition
then do format:
make_ext4fs /dev/block/mmcblk0p33
your end will be different possibly.

Then disable dm verify:
twrp install /external_sd/Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_11.02.2020.zip
take it here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/software/universal-dm-verity-forceencrypt-t3817389

and final reboot:
reboot

Anyway ROOT just simply doesn't work. I was fighting with it a lot of hours :)
tried super su also without any luck.

Hope it helps you somehow.

Thanks for response.
When I do fastboot devices, it shows thone
Once i do the fastboot.exe boot twrp-3.4.0-0-bp2.img command, it reboots and blank screen.
When I do adb shell, i get "adb.exe: no devices/emulators found"
I do adb devices, and it shows no devices attached
I do have installed "Google Nexus ADB interface" device installed

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

HTML:
    fastboot reboot

Screenshots:

Updating...