[Guide] TWRP+MAGISK ROOT Installed on OOS 10.3.5

Search This thread

Sepero

Dec 11, 2012
Ok guys, I decided to write this up because the current state of finding good info on this is quite messy. I'm going to keep it short and to the point.

I'm not here to explain what TWRP or Magisk Root are. You can find that somewhere else.

Goal:
Install TWRP and Magisk Root on OOS 10.3.5, without losing data.
(This same method worked on earlier versions of OOS 10, and may also work on later versions.)

Requirements:
OnePlus 6 Unrooted and Unmodified Recovery
Computer/Laptop
Magisk (ZIP)
TWRP Blu_Spark (ZIP)
TWRP Q by Mauronofrio (IMG)

Important Notes:
If you have installed or upgraded to OOS 10.3.5, then your device should be returned to stock (unrooted and unmodified recovery), and you're ready to begin. Otherwise, I suggest you simply reinstall the system again (full system links here) and then you'll be ready.

To send commands from your computer to your phone, you will need Android ADB debug software and possibly OnePlus drivers.
OnePlus Drivers Installation Instructions

Download Links:

Magisk 20.4 ZIP
Magisk Uninstaller 20.4 ZIP
TWRP Blu_Spark 3.4.0-x v9.116 ZIP
TWRP Q by Mauronofrio 3.3.1-18 IMG

Begin

Step 1:
Disable all lock patterns and security on your phone.

Step 2:
Back up anything important on your phone. You accept responsibility for any lost data.

Step 3:
Copy/Save the ZIP files (Magisk + Magisk Uninstaller + TWRP Blu_Spark) to the storage in your phone. The IMG file (TWRP Q by Mauronofrio) should be saved on your Computer

Step 4:
Boot your phone to fastboot mode.
(Power off. Then press Power on + Volume Up)

Step 5:
Connect phone to computer with USB. (Don't use a crap/cheap USB cable or the connection may fail.)

Step 6:
On your Computer, Open the command line, and Run the command to fastboot the TWRP Q by Mauronofrio
fastboot boot twrp-3.3.1-18-enchilada-Q-mauronofrio.img

Step 7:
Your phone should boot into TWRP (this is a temporary boot and nothing yet has been modified on your device).

Step 8:
Use the TWRP menu to Install both ZIP files. Starting with TWRP Blu_Spark, then Magisk.
BEWARE, DO NOT REBOOT BETWEEN INSTALLS! READ CAREFULLY. TWRP MAY TRY TO REBOOT. INSTALL BOTH ZIP FILES BACK TO BACK WITHOUT REBOOT.

Step 9:
Reboot. Complete. Congratulations.

Last edited:

Sepero

Dec 11, 2012
If someone could provide me a link to ADB, then I will gladly include it in the post. Thank you

Shyciii

Oct 12, 2011
OnePlus 7T Pro
BEWARE, DO NOT REBOOT BETWEEN INSTALLS! READ CAREFULLY. TWRP MAY TRY TO REBOOT. INSTALL BOTH ZIP FILES BACK TO BACK WITHOUT REBOOT.

With reboot works too. Install twrp then reboot system, then reboot recovery from system, and install magisk. Works. I tried several times.

Sepero

Dec 11, 2012
With reboot works too. Install twrp then reboot system, then reboot recovery from system, and install magisk. Works. I tried several times.
I have had bad problems on an earlier version, where Blu_Spark would Not properly install Magisk, and ruined my Recovery. Let me ask, on reboot, Did you boot into TWRP Q Mauron or TWRP Blu_Spark to install Magisk?

Sepero

Dec 11, 2012
I always use Mauron-like TWRP, and never had a problem.

Well then, I should consider you luckier than me, as I've had lots of data lost due to the issues with TWRP and Magisk. According to Mauronofrio,
"after some tests i'm sure there is a compatibility problem between twrp and magisk, i was able to get only one of them, so actually i don't know how to proceed, i need to understand if it is a twrp problem or a magisk problem, TWRP is in stand-by for now."
https://xdaforums.com/oneplus-6/development/recovery-unofficial-twrp-touch-recovery-t3860815

If TWRP by Mauronofrio is now working with the latest Magisk, then he it appears he has not publicly stated so. Did you install Magisk 20.4?

Shyciii

Oct 12, 2011
OnePlus 7T Pro
Well then, I should consider you luckier than me, as I've had lots of data lost due to the issues with TWRP and Magisk. According to Mauronofrio,
"after some tests i'm sure there is a compatibility problem between twrp and magisk, i was able to get only one of them, so actually i don't know how to proceed, i need to understand if it is a twrp problem or a magisk problem, TWRP is in stand-by for now."
https://xdaforums.com/oneplus-6/development/recovery-unofficial-twrp-touch-recovery-t3860815

If TWRP by Mauronofrio is now working with the latest Magisk, then he it appears he has not publicly stated so. Did you install Magisk 20.4?

Of coz. I always use the latest Magisk, so now 20.4

webcloud

Sep 21, 2020
Hi, I need help.
On step 8 I can not find files I copied on step 4. How I should copy those files to find it when I need to install them in step 8?
Thank you

erdock

Apr 29, 2011
I got following message returned:
FAILED (remote: boot is not allowed in Lock State)

Do I have to unlock bootloader before? This would wipe all data ...

traxdome

Jan 9, 2016
followed the second half of the guide being an idiot and just keep all security as is. workt like a charm actually.. Thanks:highfive: