How To Guide Guide: Unbrick Pixel 6 Oriele or Pixel 6 Pro "Raven"

Search This thread

Kickbub

Dec 12, 2012
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6

Look into building this, or dm me for discord or telegram and I can gladly guide you through building and using it
How am I supposed to build this? I'm having trouble in MSYS, MSYS-MinGW and Cygwin. Or do I use MinGW standalone?

I am mainly having an issue with libusb-1.0 as the gcc linker isn't detecting it for some reason.

Last edited:

_sbrego_

Apr 3, 2016
I can't make the flashing work with the multidownloader
[COM3]Write thread Start################## [COM3]Write Fail [COM3]Write thread Exit##################

I'm using a Win7 32bit VM in VirtualBox
Me too. Had some bad time tho to make the pixel seen from multidownloader and extract the bootloader. But now can't go over this. There's something wrong with the .cfg.

And the phone keeps rebooting on the PC every 30 second or so, even keeping the power button pressed.

Did you manage to recover it?

Jayant_Deshmukh

Recognized Developer
May 14, 2017
Bangalore
If people are facing issues extracting the content from inside the bootloader.img, I'm attaching the files extracted from bootloader image of May stock release. If this helps ease someone's work...

Attachments

• inside-bootloader-files.zip
    7.2 MB · Views: 42

Jayant_Deshmukh

Recognized Developer
May 14, 2017
Bangalore
I just hope it's possible to bring the device back from the dead so I can really keep my device instead of sending it back. If a certain method works... or some changes to the described method by the OP works, please can someone write a detailed tutorial. Thanks!

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

_sbrego_

Apr 3, 2016
@pierre383 with those files in the May update, how to get multidownloader to start with success?
I'm still getting the error:
[COM3]Write thread Start##################
[COM3]Write Fail
[COM3]Write thread Exit##################

Kickbub

Dec 12, 2012
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6
Some has any update on this? Really want to give birth to my P6 again
I got it to build finally. There was a stupid syntax error in the Makefile.

1. Download Linux subsystem for Windows from the Add Windows features window.
2. Install Ubuntu 18.04 from the Microsoft Store
3. Start up Ubuntu from the Start Menu and input a Username and Password you would remember
4. Paste these in order into the terminal.
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install vim
sudo vim /etc/apt/sources.list.d/sources.list
5. Go into VIM insert mode and type in "deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic main" without quotations in the first line
6. Exit insert mode and type ":wq" then press enter
Code:
sudo apt-get update
again.
8. Paste
Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essentials pkg-config libusb-1.0-0-dev
9. Paste
Code:
git clone https://github.com/frederic/exynos-usbdl
10. Paste
Code:
cd exynos-usbdl
11. Paste
Code:
gcc -g -O0 -Wall -c -o exynos-usbdl.o exynos-usbdl.c
12. Paste
Code:
gcc -g -O0 -Wall -o exynos-usbdl exynos-usbdl.o -lusb-1.0
13. To run, type "./exynos-usbdl" to run the program.

_sbrego_

Apr 3, 2016
I got it to build finally. There was a stupid syntax error in the Makefile.

1. Download Linux subsystem for Windows from the Add Windows features window.
2. Install Ubuntu 18.04 from the Microsoft Store
3. Start up Ubuntu from the Start Menu and input a Username and Password you would remember
4. Paste these in order into the terminal.
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install vim
sudo vim /etc/apt/sources.list.d/sources.list
5. Go into VIM insert mode and type in "deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic main" without quotations in the first line
6. Exit insert mode and type ":wq" then press enter
Code:
sudo apt-get update
again.
8. Paste
Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essentials pkg-config libusb-1.0-0-dev
9. Paste
Code:
git clone https://github.com/frederic/exynos-usbdl
10. Paste
Code:
cd exynos-usbdl
11. Paste
Code:
gcc -g -O0 -Wall -c -o exynos-usbdl.o exynos-usbdl.c
12. Paste
Code:
gcc -g -O0 -Wall -o exynos-usbdl exynos-usbdl.o -lusb-1.0
13. To run, type "./exynos-usbdl" to run the program.
Thanks, I think i've build it too. I have install the libusb-1.0-0-dev from the Ubuntu Main tho, because the repo gave me an error.

Now I am at the point attached.

What should I do next to be able to recover the pixel?

Attachments

• Immagine 2022-05-28 145445.png
    Immagine 2022-05-28 145445.png
    52 KB · Views: 45

Kickbub

Dec 12, 2012
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6
Thanks, I think i've build it too. I have install the libusb-1.0-0-dev from the Ubuntu Main tho, because the repo gave me an error.

Now I am at the point attached.

What should I do next to be able to recover the pixel?
I'm not sure. The software seems like its meant to run executables using an exploit instead of flashing. I'm not sure why Pierre mentioned this?

_sbrego_

Apr 3, 2016
I have bricked a Pixel 6 previously but replaced it before seeing this thread so I can't test anything right now. Did you use the multidownloader in 32 bit windows?
Yep, but I get the following error:
[COM3]Write Fail

i think there's something wrong with the .cfg file. And the phone keeps rebooting every 30 seconds while keeping the power button pressed. If I don't press it, it stop being recognized.

And I don't know how to use the Frederic tool from GH

Kickbub

Dec 12, 2012
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6
Yep, but I get the following error:
[COM3]Write Fail

i think there's something wrong with the .cfg file. And the phone keeps rebooting every 30 seconds while keeping the power button pressed. If I don't press it, it stop being recognized.

And I don't know how to use the Frederic tool from GH
Can you explain your entire process with screenshots included?

_sbrego_

Apr 3, 2016
Can you explain your entire process with screenshots included?
Yep sure. I've managed somehow (lol) to install drivers and have the phone recognized by Multidownloader.
To connect it, I have to keep the power button pressed, then connecting the USB cable and the Multidownloader tool is able to see it.
Every 30 seconds or so the phone does a reboot tho, so the procedure is interrupted.

Anyway, connecting the phone via USB see the phone as on attachment 1.
I have split the bootloader from may update using imjtool in Ubuntu, obtaining the files listed on attachment 2.

I have edited the .cfg as @pierre383 suggested:
DNW_STORE exynos down 200 20 bl1.bin
DNW_STORE exynos down 2000 20 bl2.bin
DNW_STORE exynos down 200 20 elr_el3.bin
DNW_STORE exynos down 200 20 lastly.bin
DNW_WAIT
;PIXEL ROM RECOVERY
DNW_STORE exynos down 20000 20 bl.bin

Of course there are not elr_el3.bin, lastly.bin and bl.bin. So I tried to change the config prompting as suggested with elr_el3.bin-->bl31.bin, lastly.bin-->bl1.bin, pbl.bin-->bl.bin. I tried making the change in the .cfg and in the name of the files.
But everything I try lead me to the error:
[COM3]Write Fail
(attachment 3)

To launch the command I keep pressing the power button, because if I leave it the phone shutdown again.
When I press start the log shows: [COM3]Write thread Start##################, then after the 30 seconds the phone shuts down and the fail/exit messages are displayed.

The only part I didn't followed from the original guide (https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...evices-with-deleted-bootloader-sboot.3573865/) is the hex part. But I have extracted the files from bootloader tho.

As for the Linux exynos-usbdl I have no clue on how to use it.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 2.png
    2.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 3.png
    3.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 59

Kickbub

Dec 12, 2012
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6
Yep sure. I've managed somehow (lol) to install drivers and have the phone recognized by Multidownloader.
To connect it, I have to keep the power button pressed, then connecting the USB cable and the Multidownloader tool is able to see it.
Every 30 seconds or so the phone does a reboot tho, so the procedure is interrupted.

Anyway, connecting the phone via USB see the phone as on attachment 1.
I have split the bootloader from may update using imjtool in Ubuntu, obtaining the files listed on attachment 2.

I have edited the .cfg as @pierre383 suggested:
DNW_WAIT
;PIXEL ROM RECOVERY

Of course there are not elr_el3.bin, lastly.bin and bl.bin. So I tried to change the config prompting as suggested with elr_el3.bin-->bl31.bin, lastly.bin-->bl1.bin, pbl.bin-->bl.bin. I tried making the change in the .cfg and in the name of the files.
But everything I try lead me to the error:
[COM3]Write Fail
(attachment 3)

To launch the command I keep pressing the power button, because if I leave it the phone shutdown again.
When I press start the log shows: [COM3]Write thread Start##################, then after the 30 seconds the phone shuts down and the fail/exit messages are displayed.

The only part I didn't followed from the original guide (https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...evices-with-deleted-bootloader-sboot.3573865/) is the hex part. But I have extracted the files from bootloader tho.

As for the Linux exynos-usbdl I have no clue on how to use it.
So it actually does flash. It's just that the phone shuts down too quickly? Have you tried holding power and volume combinations?

_sbrego_

Apr 3, 2016
So it actually does flash. It's just that the phone shuts down too quickly? Have you tried holding power and volume combinations?
I don't know if it's flashing. The percentage is always 0%, then the phone reboots.
I've understood that you can set in the .cfg the target time to flash (?) and if I set the first number too low the error is "timeout".
But still can't do anything to go on from there.

Yep I tried the combinations, but as soon as I release the power button it shuts down..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, I have decided that this doesn't work. I have used 2 Linux Exynos download tools and both do not seem to talk to the Google Tensor (gs101) chip. So unless some genius writes a tool specifically for gs101 or leaks the Google authorized repair center tool I think we are out of luck. Time to get a replacement I guess.

What I have tried:
    Windows XP -> multidownloader doesn't run
    Windows Vista -> multidownloader write fail, progress 0%
    Windows 7 -> multidownloader write fail, progress 0%
    Windows 10 -> crash when phone disconnects while flashing, progress 0%

Linux:
    exynos-usbdl -> USB IO error after a few seconds while flashing, no progress bar
    exynos9610-usb-emergency-recovery -> Does nothing

To be honest, there is no reason why Google shouldn't release such a tool because they're already working with iFixit by sourcing genuine parts to make the Pixel 6 more repairable to the end user. If there is a suggestions portal for the Pixel 6, I am willing to raise this.
    Hello, I am in a similar situation with the same environment, in any case, my PC detects the COM, but the Multiloader cannot detect it:

View attachment 5638805
    Any suggestion to tackle this issue it would be appreciated!
    I had the same problem. After that, I downloaded the drivers once again (from another post if I remember well) and from the control panel installed the right driver to make the phone seen by multiuploader as exynos device.
    Try changing manually the driver for the COM39 prompting the exynos USB driver.
    Thanks @_sbrego_ for your reply . I'll try it. do you know where I can download the exynos USB driver?

Rather, I have downloaded the following:

View attachment 5638977
    Could you tell me which would be the correct ones?
    None of those.
    I'll try to catch mine when I'm home.
    Hello , I could changed to :

View attachment 5639527

But it's seems the similar , Multidownloader is not recongnized.

Any way I have been trying with another tool :Heimdall-master and it's accessible

View attachment 5639531
    but when i tried :

View attachment 5639533

To my understanding I think that in my mobile it does not have the logical partitions defined.
    Is there any way to remake the partitions in this state?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Pixel 6 uses an Exynos based processor, not MediaTek. I don't know why you are using MediaTek drivers.

Follow the instructions on the first post. They are very clear.

Partitions are remade during bootloader flash. If you can somehow send bootloader to RAM and boot the phone, then you can reflash the bootloader.

Also, "System Policy" sounds like a Windows issue, not your phone.
    Well , just a update:
    1- I have installed a VM Win 7 32 bits, but it seems that the COM port is not recognized by Multidownloader.
    2- Thanks for the files extracted for oriole @Jayant_Deshmukh !

I have read some comments. Were you able to carry out this solution? @_sbrego_ @Kickbub ?

Thanks in advance!
    Pixel 6 Pro runs on a Google Tensor CPU which is in fact an Exynos CPU

This means that there is Exynos boot recovery in the CPU

You can repair the bootloader using the Samsung Exynos Tool

Nothing could be flashed from the mode, however it loads into the RAM the fastboot mode, from here reflash the bootloader image using fastboot

Unpack BL1, BL2 AP boot, ELR_EL3, BL etc from stock image (use your device and version)

Set this up using windows 7 32 bit

use this config not the one he has included, but use his tutorial

DNW_WAIT
    ;PIXEL ROM RECOVERY

NOTE: this is EDL mode!!

If not working or you need help let me know
    I extracted the bootloader but I don't see ELR_EL3, LASTLY or BL. Below is a list of the files that were extracted.
    abl
    bl1
    bl2
    bl31
    gsa
    ldfw
    partition_0
    partition_1
    partition_2
    partition_3
    pbl
    tzsw
    ufs
    ufsfwupdate
    Lastly is BL1 again, EL3 and BL31 is the same, BL is PBL (Short for primary BL)
    @pierre383

Have you recovered any Pixel 6/6 Pro unit in real life yet using this procedure? If so, then kindly post a more elaborate guide so that we can cover it for the portal.

===

AFAIK, a hard-bricked Google Silicon device (e.g. the Pixel 6/6 Pro) by default exposes a serial interface with vendor ID 18D1 (aka Google) and device ID 4F00.
    I was never able to get the program to recognize my device. I tried it on a Windows 7 32bit install. I don't think those are the correct drivers for a pixel device.
    If people are facing issues extracting the content from inside the bootloader.img, I'm attaching the files extracted from bootloader image of May stock release. If this helps ease someone's work...