[GUIDE] Unlock and Root a Nexus 7

Search This thread

TheDude

Dec 10, 2010
Nixa, MO
What gives? For whatever reason I cant flash cwm. Other fastboot commands work. fastboot oem unlock worked... Any thoughts? Thanks.

C:\Users\Braden>fastboot flash recovery D:\AndroidDev\android-sdk\platform-tools\grouper.img
sending 'recovery' (6530 KB)...
FAILED (data transfer failure (Unknown error))
finished. total time: 0.040s

C:\Users\Braden>fastboot flash recovery D:\AndroidDev\android-sdk\platform-tools\grouper.img
sending 'recovery' (6530 KB)...
FAILED (command write failed (Invalid argument))
finished. total time: 0.005s

C:\Users\Braden>fastboot reboot
rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.001s

thanantos

Aug 28, 2010
I was able to complete all the steps and the boot loader is now unlocked with CWM installed but not SuperSU.

The thread linked to for that tells you to download it from Play Store which I did, but when I try to run SuperSU I get an error that the binaries have not been installed.

Any ideas?

Skyrocket2

Sep 21, 2012
In cmd all you should need to do is type

32bit windows
Code:
cd c:/program files/android/android-sdk/platform tools

64bit windows
Code:
cd c:/program files (x86)/android/android-sdk/platform tools

That brings you into the directory so you don't have to type out the full path name when trying to run Fastboot and adb.

I find it easier to rename zip and image file to

supersu.zip and cwm.img. it doesn't make a difference what the file names are, just leave the file extensions alone.

Adb reboot bootloader

Fastboot OEM unlock

**made sure supersu and cwm recovery are in the platform tools directory with Fastboot and adb.**

Fastboot flash recovery recoveryname.IMG

Boot into recovery. Assuming you grabbed the latest version (6.0.1.9) from his website all you should have to do is reboot to system. Cwm will prompt about the recovery not being permanent. Select yes to make it permanent and boot normally.

Do a temp setup with your gmail account. Run the updates and then download your chosen ROM and gapps (if required) and transfer them to your SD card.

There's two ways to get the supersu binaries on your nexus sdcard. The easiest is just copying it over using windows.

#2 (in the bootloader)

Adb reboot bootloader
Adb push supersu.zip /sdcard

Boot into recovery, install zip, select supersu. Reboot into the system and make sure you have root. (Get es file manager and enable root I. Settings)

Reboot back into recovery.

!!!!!!!!!!Run a backup!!!!!!!!!!!! It doesn't take long!!!!!!!!

To install a ROM after a backup.

Go into mounts and storage. (DO NOT WIPE /sdcard!!!!)

Format system, data, cache, and dalvik cache (in advanced settings)

Install zip, install the ROM first, then the gapps.

Reboot to system, done :)

Bail outs:
If you by accident wipe your SD card.
You can use Adb push to transfer a ROM & gapps to your SD.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the helpful guide. Do you happen to have the link for the latest version of CWM.img?

PutoFace

Sep 6, 2010
El Paso, TX
When I get to the step "5. Make CWM Permanent," when I type in "adb shell" in the cmd terminal, it says "error:device not found." I tried the adb kill-server and adb start-server commands and it still gives the error. Tried reading through the responses but most were over my head. Suggestions?

jamcar

Aug 11, 2010
Orlando
ADB doesn't see my device... Are there drviers I need?

EDIT: never mind. when i updated the SDK and ADB it didn't download the info for newer devices or their drivers

EDIT: it still doesn't work?!? Windows says the drivers aren't installed o_O

Last edited:

jaxrunner

Jan 4, 2008
When I get to the step "5. Make CWM Permanent," when I type in "adb shell" in the cmd terminal, it says "error:device not found." I tried the adb kill-server and adb start-server commands and it still gives the error. Tried reading through the responses but most were over my head. Suggestions?
I had the same issue and was thoroughly frustrated as I spent at an hour or two trying to troubleshoot! I'm doing this all from linux so I unnecessarily went through manually setting up udev rules...urggg! Now that I think about it I was always able to run "adb reboot bootloader" and "adb shell" which means my environment was already setup to recognize my N7...right? I ended up skipping this step. I think the latest CWM recovery takes care of renaming "recovery-from-boot.p r"

I'm also assuming once you get into recovery you no longer can use adb as I got the same device error not found. However adb shell works fine before I actually restart bootloader from terminal. I hope someone can chime in as I really would like to know whats going on with adb not recognizing device while device is in the bootloader. And yes I mounted /System from recovery menu.

The most important part is unlocking boot loader, flashing recovery image and installing Su zip via recovery menu. Once you grasp what going on with each of these processes then things should get a little clearer.

Last edited:

rockstar283

Dec 28, 2011
I found less detailed guide on rootzwiki created by birdman, but i decided to repost it here in more detail.

* Disclaimer: I do not take any responsibility for anything you do to your phone, whether be brick, break, or somehow mess it up.

Requirements
1. You must have the sdk installed and you are able to access, and use adb and fastboot.
2. You must have debugging enabled on your Nexus 7.
3. Download Su here (Chainfire's thread for supersu) (Thanks Eric_Eric_Eric)
4. Download CWM here. Scroll down to Nexus 7 and choose whether touch or regular.

Pre-Steps
To make this easier, you should put the su zip on the sdcard for later.

1. In terminal, cd to the directory you have your sdk in. Then cd into platform-tools.
2. Type adb push path-to-zip/JB-SuperSU.zip /sdcard

Unlocking Your Nexus 7

To unlock your device
1. cd to platform-tools
2. Reboot to the bootloader - adb reboot bootloader
3. Unlock your device* -
fastboot oem unlock
*You will have to accept and erase all the user data on the tablet.
*You must run this as sudo in Linux

Flash Clockwork Mod Recovery
(You're still inside the bootloader)

4. Flash CWM -
fastboot flash recovery path-to-img/CWM-grouper-recovery.img​
5. Make CWM Permanent -
1. Boot into recovery​
2. Go to Mounts and Storage​
3. Mount /System​
4. Type in Terminal*​
adb shell
cd /system
mv recovery-from-boot.p recovery-from-boot.bak

If your having trouble gaining shell, try "adb kill-server" then "abd start-server". Couple of my friends had this problem, and this should hopefully fix it.
* For some people, it has been reported that you don't have to replace recovery-from-boot.bak. The flash is enough to make the recovery stick.

Flash Su

1. Go back by pressing power button​
2. Install the zip in the sdcard​

Reboot and your device is now rooted!!

For anybody having trouble trying to use fastboot and come up with a no-permissions error or adb ????????? problem, I created a guide to fix the problem here: [GUIDE]Fix Fastboot and USB

Hi..n00b question..
As Nexus 7 does not have any SD card..how can I execute the command:

adb push path-to-zip/JB-SuperSU.zip /sdcard

I tried

adb push C:\Users\xxx\desktop\update-supersu-v1.34.zip /sdcard

I get an error: device not found
help pls

Last edited:

underwaterjr

Oct 21, 2010
Hi..n00b question..
As Nexus 7 does not have any SD card..how can I execute the command:

adb push path-to-zip/JB-SuperSU.zip /sdcard

I tried

adb push C:\Users\xxx\desktop\update-supersu-v1.34.zip computer\nexus 7\internal storage

nothing worked..adb just gives me hell lot of crap :(
help pls

If your having trouble that way you can always just reboot after you have unlocked your bootloader and plug the N7 back into your computer and drop the file in the "root" of the sd card extension. Then reboot to bootloader and install cwm recovery, reboot to recovery and install the super user zip.

rockstar283

Dec 28, 2011
If your having trouble that way you can always just reboot after you have unlocked your bootloader and plug the N7 back into your computer and drop the file in the "root" of the sd card extension. Then reboot to bootloader and install cwm recovery, reboot to recovery and install the super user zip.

Thanks for the reply mate..but before flashing I am trying to perform the PRE steps..as there is no sdcard extension..there is no root folder either..something is off here..
This is what I did..let me know if I am doing anything wrong (p.s. I am yet to root and unlock N7):

1) Downloaded SU and saved it on desktop
2) Downloaded CWM and saved it on desktop
3) Connected my N7 with laptop using USB cable
4) Fired up CMD and went into Platform-tool folder
5) typed in 'adb push C:/Users/xxx/desktop/update-supersu-v1.34.zip computer/nexus 7/internal storage'....nothing happened
6) typed in 'adb push C:/Users/xxx/desktop/update-supersu-v1.34.zip /sdcard'....error: device not found

bummer :(

underwaterjr

Oct 21, 2010
Thanks for the reply mate..but before flashing I am trying to perform the PRE steps..as there is no sdcard extension..there is no root folder either..something is off here..
This is what I did..let me know if I am doing anything wrong (p.s. I am yet to root and unlock N7):

1) Downloaded SU and saved it on desktop
2) Downloaded CWM and saved it on desktop
3) Connected my N7 with laptop using USB cable
4) Fired up CMD and went into Platform-tool folder
5) typed in 'adb push C:/Users/xxx/desktop/update-supersu-v1.34.zip computer/nexus 7/internal storage'....nothing happened
6) typed in 'adb push C:/Users/xxx/desktop/update-supersu-v1.34.zip /sdcard'....error: device not found

bummer :(

Lets take this to pm. I will send you one.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I found less detailed guide on rootzwiki created by birdman, but i decided to repost it here in more detail.

* Disclaimer: I do not take any responsibility for anything you do to your phone, whether be brick, break, or somehow mess it up.

Requirements
    1. You must have the sdk installed and you are able to access, and use adb and fastboot.
    2. You must have debugging enabled on your Nexus 7.
    3. Download Su here (Chainfire's thread for supersu) (Thanks Eric_Eric_Eric)
    4. Download CWM here. Scroll down to Nexus 7 and choose whether touch or regular.

Pre-Steps
    To make this easier, you should put the su zip on the sdcard for later.

1. In terminal, cd to the directory you have your sdk in. Then cd into platform-tools.
    2. Type adb push path-to-zip/JB-SuperSU.zip /sdcard

Unlocking Your Nexus 7

To unlock your device
    1. cd to platform-tools
    2. Reboot to the bootloader - adb reboot bootloader
    3. Unlock your device* -
    fastboot oem unlock
    *You will have to accept and erase all the user data on the tablet.
    *You must run this as sudo in Linux

Flash Clockwork Mod Recovery
    (You're still inside the bootloader)

4. Flash CWM -
    fastboot flash recovery path-to-img/CWM-grouper-recovery.img​
    5. Make CWM Permanent -
    1. Boot into recovery​
    2. Go to Mounts and Storage​
    3. Mount /System​
    4. Type in Terminal*​
    adb shell
    cd /system
    mv recovery-from-boot.p recovery-from-boot.bak

If your having trouble gaining shell, try "adb kill-server" then "abd start-server". Couple of my friends had this problem, and this should hopefully fix it.
    * For some people, it has been reported that you don't have to replace recovery-from-boot.bak. The flash is enough to make the recovery stick.

Flash Su

1. Go back by pressing power button​
    2. Install the zip in the sdcard​

Reboot and your device is now rooted!!

For anybody having trouble trying to use fastboot and come up with a no-permissions error or adb ????????? problem, I created a guide to fix the problem here: [GUIDE]Fix Fastboot and USB
    I do not know of a driver right now. I'm using Ubuntu so I guess it just worked for me. If i come across any drivers, I'll post them in the thread, but until then, i'm not too sure :/

sorry man. :(

If you find them, please tell me so i can post them to help others with the same problem.

Though, i would think that windows would pick it up automatically being that it's just adb drivers.

When I updated the Android SDK it also had an update for the "Google USB Driver". When I look at this driver it now includes the Nexus 7.

I have attached the new Windows drivers for those who don't have the SDK installed.
    EDIT: It appears there are some problems with XDA uploads lately (at least for me) so I have shared it here
    https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=DC89975E3CE960E5!219
    Is there a way to do this without adb? I'm sort of new to adb....any help would be greatly appreciated. Ty

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda premium
    what would unlocking do? isnt that for phones so you can put other simcards??

It is technically "unlocking the boot loader" but unlocking was short and sweet for the title.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
    Is there a way to do this without adb? I'm sort of new to adb....any help would be greatly appreciated. Ty

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda premium

Umm, this no way to do this without adb. I'm working on a one click script which i will be posting later. I am currently in IO Sessions and should have it in the next couple of days.

But an answer, again, no, there isn't. You need to download the sdk, and install the tools. then just cd to platform-tools, and use adb like i said. If your in windows, use adb.exe then the arguments, but if your in linux, just use ./adb. Same thing with fastboot.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone