• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Guide] Unlock Bootloader, Get Root and Flash TWRP Recovery

Search This thread

JakesDen

Nov 7, 2015
Warning: This guide is a WiP and is NOT complete. DO NOT FOLLOW THIS GUIDE UNTIL THIS MESSAGE IS REMOVED.

You will require ADB and Fastboot installed on your computer.

First you will need to send a private message to the_lazer with your IMEI and Serial Number and they will give you a key to unlock the bootloader.
Wherever you see KEY in this guide replace that with the key you got given.

Second you will need to download Magisk from here, rename that file to
Code:
magisk.zip
Then download the TWRP.img from here.
If the touch screen doesn't work on TWRP then press the power button so the screen sleeps and then press it again so it wakes up and it should work.

Make sure your device has "Enable OEM Bootloader Unlocking" enabled in settings.

Plug your device into your computer and turn the device off.
Hold the power and volume up buttons, if it has a menu where reboot to bootloader or fastboot is a option then do that.
Once in fastboot mode on your computer run:
Code:
fastboot oem key KEY
fastboot oem unlock
Press the volume up button on the phone and it should unlock successfuly.
Once that is done you will need to run:
Code:
fastboot boot TWRP.img
Note that you should NOT flash twrp yet as it will give "red state" error and prevent your device from booting.

Then once in TWRP if it asks for a password then click cancel. If that doesn't work then press the power button and then press it again so the screen sleeps and wakes up then swipe to unlock and click cancel again.
Swipe to allow modifications then click Advanced and then ADB Sideload and swipe.
Next run
Code:
adb sideload magisk.zip
and it will flash magisk.
Magisk will provide root and patch the bootloader so it will still boot past the "orange state" screen.
Next go back twice and click Reboot and then Bootloader.
Then on your computer run
Code:
fastboot flash recovery TWRP.img
That will now flash TWRP.
The reason you need to flash TWRP after you have flashed magisk is because magisk is required to patch the bootloader so that it will actualy boot.

Then run
Code:
fastboot reboot
and you should eventualy reboot to android, give it about 30mins to boot just to be safe.

Then install Magisk Manager from
Code:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445

You should now have a working rooted Nokia 3 which uses Magisk.

TODO: Add troubleshooting section and steps to follow if something goes wrong.

JakesDen

Nov 7, 2015
Don't worry, then next time someone asks about rooting their Nokia 3 I will be sure to point them to this thread, and I like how you described the process. It's very easy to understand. I already have my phone rooted and i'm sticking with my stock recovery because of updates

JakesDen

Nov 7, 2015
nice guide, did you encounter any crashes like SuperSU or it runs normal without errors?

Runs flawlessly and doesn't crash or bootloop.
However if you enable a magisk module which causes a bootloop then you would have to factory reset the device unless /data is decrypted in which case you can just delete the folder the magisk module is located in. I will add to the guide instructions on how to have a decrypted /data partitionlater.

Reactions: MoHuToP and SkaboXD

virenhp

Jul 14, 2016
nice guide, did you encounter any crashes like SuperSU or it runs normal without errors?
QUOTE=virenhp;75052054]I have Unlocked bootloader in Nokia 3 TA 1032
I flashed Trwp Successfully but Still Getting Stock Recovery when entered to Recovery Mode. Please Help Me .. How Can I get Twrp Recovery. Thank Yo

SkaboXD

Jan 18, 2017
Ganja
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
QUOTE=virenhp;75052054]I have Unlocked bootloader in Nokia 3 TA 1032
I flashed Trwp Successfully but Still Getting Stock Recovery when entered to Recovery Mode. Please Help Me .. How Can I get Twrp Recovery. Thank Yo

if flashing doesn't work, use this command: fastboot boot recovery.img

You will boot to twrp successfully but you need to do this every time when you want twrp.

M0n57eR

Jan 4, 2018
I followed your guide step by step but when rebooting after TWRP flash, the phone does not boot into system. No matter how i try to reboot the android logo pop up with orange state and the next thing is TWRP loading. I can boot into bootloader, so i tried flashing magisk and TWRP again, but no success. Any help would be appreciated :D

redweaver

Nov 25, 2017
Lagos
I will try this method the next time I get an ota update. Wasn't sure if it was the superSU or the xposed that was causing the errors. After this update i've confirmed it's the SU.
I've never used magisk before. Hope it won't conflict with xposed

Reactions: borcespid

JakesDen

Nov 7, 2015
I recommend not using SuperSu.
You can however install magisk and then use magisk manager to install a systemless xposed.
Just don't use the official regular xposed or your device won't boot.

JakesDen

Nov 7, 2015
I will try this method the next time I get an ota update. Wasn't sure if it was the superSU or the xposed that was causing the errors. After this update i've confirmed it's the SU.

I recommend not using SuperSu.
You can however install magisk and then use magisk manager to install a systemless xposed.
Just don't use the official regular xposed or your device won't boot.

JBData

Jan 28, 2018

My Nokia3 roadacts:
- Developper mode OK
- Unlocked OK
- Install magisk & TWRP
fastboot boot TWRP.img
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [ 0.406s]
booting...
OKAY [ 0.047s]
finished. total time: 0.484s
adb sideload magisk.zip
Total xfer: 1.59x
target reported max download size of 134217728 bytes
sending 'recovery' (13916 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.437s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 0.734s]
finished. total time: 1.188s
- Install SuperSU
fastboot reboot
rebooting...
finished. total time: 0.016s
fastboot reboot
adb sideload SuperSU-v2.82-201705271822.zip
That's the only way I found to install SuperSU, cause I don't succed to put the zip in my phone: All mounts in TWRP failed : USB (a R1 warning PC appears), internal... I had transfert the zip in the Nokia before doing all but I don't know where it's located when I browse in TWRP.
According to the trace I saw on the phone when I did the adb sideload, SuperSU install and config seems to be OK, but I'm no sure.
When I open a term on the phone, navigate in the filesystem, I can't do su but see a SuperSU path with an install shell that failed...

My 2 problems:
1/ is SuperSU OK ?
2/ I'm block : how to go back to Andoid to execute root checker or SuperSU, always boot on TWRP ?

Need Help.

redweaver

Nov 25, 2017
Lagos
My Nokia3 roadacts:
- Developper mode OK
- Unlocked OK
- Install magisk & TWRP
fastboot boot TWRP.img
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [ 0.406s]
booting...
OKAY [ 0.047s]
finished. total time: 0.484s
adb sideload magisk.zip
Total xfer: 1.59x
target reported max download size of 134217728 bytes
sending 'recovery' (13916 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.437s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 0.734s]
finished. total time: 1.188s
- Install SuperSU
fastboot reboot
rebooting...
finished. total time: 0.016s
fastboot reboot
adb sideload SuperSU-v2.82-201705271822.zip
That's the only way I found to install SuperSU, cause I don't succed to put the zip in my phone: All mounts in TWRP failed : USB (a R1 warning PC appears), internal... I had transfert the zip in the Nokia before doing all but I don't know where it's located when I browse in TWRP.
According to the trace I saw on the phone when I did the adb sideload, SuperSU install and config seems to be OK, but I'm no sure.
When I open a term on the phone, navigate in the filesystem, I can't do su but see a SuperSU path with an install shell that failed...

My 2 problems:
1/ is SuperSU OK ?
2/ I'm block : how to go back to Andoid to execute root checker or SuperSU, always boot on TWRP ?

Need Help.

I haven't used magisk before, but I was under the opinion that you didn't need to sideload or flash supersu once you've sideloaded magisk. Maybe you need to read up on activating root with magisk

Reactions: JBData

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Warning: This guide is a WiP and is NOT complete. DO NOT FOLLOW THIS GUIDE UNTIL THIS MESSAGE IS REMOVED.

You will require ADB and Fastboot installed on your computer.

First you will need to send a private message to the_lazer with your IMEI and Serial Number and they will give you a key to unlock the bootloader.
    Wherever you see KEY in this guide replace that with the key you got given.

Second you will need to download Magisk from here, rename that file to
    Code:
    magisk.zip
    Then download the TWRP.img from here.
    If the touch screen doesn't work on TWRP then press the power button so the screen sleeps and then press it again so it wakes up and it should work.

Make sure your device has "Enable OEM Bootloader Unlocking" enabled in settings.

Plug your device into your computer and turn the device off.
    Hold the power and volume up buttons, if it has a menu where reboot to bootloader or fastboot is a option then do that.
    Once in fastboot mode on your computer run:
    Code:
    fastboot oem key KEY
    fastboot oem unlock
    Press the volume up button on the phone and it should unlock successfuly.
    Once that is done you will need to run:
    Code:
    fastboot boot TWRP.img
    Note that you should NOT flash twrp yet as it will give "red state" error and prevent your device from booting.

Then once in TWRP if it asks for a password then click cancel. If that doesn't work then press the power button and then press it again so the screen sleeps and wakes up then swipe to unlock and click cancel again.
    Swipe to allow modifications then click Advanced and then ADB Sideload and swipe.
    Next run
    Code:
    adb sideload magisk.zip
    and it will flash magisk.
    Magisk will provide root and patch the bootloader so it will still boot past the "orange state" screen.
    Next go back twice and click Reboot and then Bootloader.
    Then on your computer run
    Code:
    That will now flash TWRP.
    The reason you need to flash TWRP after you have flashed magisk is because magisk is required to patch the bootloader so that it will actualy boot.

Then run
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    and you should eventualy reboot to android, give it about 30mins to boot just to be safe.

Then install Magisk Manager from
    Code:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445

You should now have a working rooted Nokia 3 which uses Magisk.

TODO: Add troubleshooting section and steps to follow if something goes wrong.

Runs flawlessly and doesn't crash or bootloop.
    However if you enable a magisk module which causes a bootloop then you would have to factory reset the device unless /data is decrypted in which case you can just delete the folder the magisk module is located in. I will add to the guide instructions on how to have a decrypted /data partitionlater.
    Any feedback? Does anyone want to pm me and try it safely?
    Any feedback? Does anyone want to pm me and try it safely?

Don't worry, then next time someone asks about rooting their Nokia 3 I will be sure to point them to this thread, and I like how you described the process. It's very easy to understand. I already have my phone rooted and i'm sticking with my stock recovery because of updates