[Guide] Unlock Bootloader // Install TWRP // Root

Search This thread

spotting

Mar 21, 2011
Introduction:

Honestly, this is not my work, even not my text. But it fits in this forum and i am going to update this until i can confirm, everything will work (for my device: FRD-AL10). I am not a developer, just an experienced (?) user. From now on, you can only find quotes. if there is anything written italic inside, i have changed these informations. You can find the original informations by using the given links. If i violate against the rules, i want to excuse my behavior. This thread is created to help everyone, making it easier to get a nice experience with our Honor 8.

Summary:

1. get your Bootloader Unlock code
2. Install Custom Recovery (TWRP) + SuperSU
3. FAQ

1. get your Bootloader Unlock Code

first step:
quoted from @paulobrien
http://xdaforums.com/honor-7/general/guide-how-to-bootloader-unlock-honor-7-t3328603

The official method

In order to unlock your Honor device using the official method, complete the following steps:

1. Visit https://www.emui.com/en/plugin.php?id=unlock&mod=detail and either create a new account or login with an existing Huawei account.
  2. In the form displayed after logging in, enter:
    1. Your phone model ("FRD-AL10" for the Honor 8 4 GB Ram / 64 GB Rom // or maybe "FRD-AL00" or "FRD-L09" etc)
    2. Your phone serial number (this can be found in Settings -> About -> Status)
    3. Your phone IMEI1 (this can be found in Settings -> About -> Status)
    4. Your phone product ID (to find this, open the dialler and enter *#*#1357946#*#*)
    5. The captcha code
  3. Press the 'Submit' button.
  4. At this point you will either be provided with a code, or you will receive an error such as 'The Huawei ID used to apply for the unlock code has not been used on the device for more than 14 days.' If you get the error, you will need to use the unofficial method below.
  5. Open a command window on your PC / Mac, which needs to have 'adb' and 'fastboot' installed from the Android SDK.
  6. Enable USB debugging by tapping the build number in Settings -> About 5 times, then going back and selecting the option from the Development menu.
  7. Enable OEM unlock in the Development menu.
  8. Connect your phone to the PC and approve the security prompt on the device screen.
  9. In the command window on your PC / Mac, enter 'adb reboot bootloader' to enter fastboot mode'.
  10. In the command window on your PC / Mac, enter 'fastboot oem unlock [insertnumberhere]', of course using the number provided by the Huawei site.
  11. YOUR PHONE WILL WIPE ITSELF AT THIS POINT!
  12. That's it! You're done!

terminalsquash.png

If the link above is not working, you can use this link:
https://emui.huawei.com/en/plugin.php?id=unlock&mod=detail

The "new" unofficial method. You have to pay 0,99 € to get your unlock code. (Google play)

DC Unlocker created some apps:

It seems, this one is created to read your bootloader code:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dc.huaweibootloadercodes

Follow the Tutorial posted above, but instead of installing DC-Unlocker you can use this app.
Confirmed by User @nudi (Post 38)

There is also an unofficial method. You have to pay 4 € to get your unlock code.
The unofficial method

In order to unlock your Honor device using the unofficial method, if for example you receive the '14 day' error from the Huwei site, complete the following steps:

1. On a Windows PC, download and install DC-unlocker from https://www.dc-unlocker.com/.
  2. On your phone, enter Manufacturer Mode - open the dialler and enter *#*#2846579#*#*. In the app that then opens, select Project Menu -> Background settings -> USB ports settings -> Manufacturer Mode.
  3. Download the Huawei driver pack from https://files.dc-unlocker.com/share.html?v=share/88D4A98C154D4E19AF9D4A1EF09BA620.
  4. Install the Huawei driver pack by extracting the file you just downloaded (using WinRAR or similar) and running 'DriverSetup'
  5. After installing the driver pack, connect your phone to the PC. In Device Manager, after the automated driver install, you should have no 'Unknown Devices'.
  6. Launch the previously downloaded DC-unlocker application.
  7. From the drop down lists, select 'Huawei Phones' and 'Auto Detect Model'.
  8. Press the magnifying glass icon - the app will then search for your phone.
  9. You should see an image like the one below showing your phone is found. At this point, press the 'Buy Credits' option to set up your DC-Unlocker account and purchase the 4 credits required for code retrieval (this will cost €4). You can also do this directly from the DC-Unlocker website.
  10. After your credit purchase is complete, click the 'Server' section and enter your new DC-unlocker login details. Press 'Check Login' to validate the details (if the server is busy, this may take multiple attempts).
  11. Click the 'Unlocking' section, and click 'Read Bootloader Code'. Do NOT click 'Unlock'. Again, if the server is busy, this may take multiple attempts. The white area of the app will now display the bootloader code. Screen grab this just in case!
  12. Open a command window on your PC, which needs to have 'adb' and 'fastboot' installed from the Android SDK.
  13. Enable USB debugging by tapping the build number in Settings -> About 5 times, then going back and selecting the option from the Development menu.
  14. Enable OEM unlock in the Development menu.
  15. Connect your phone to the PC and approve the security prompt on the device screen.
  16. In the command window on your PC / Mac, enter 'adb reboot bootloader' to enter fastboot mode'.
  17. In the command window on your PC / Mac, enter 'fastboot oem unlock [insertnumberhere]', of course using the number provided by the DC-Unlocker process.
  18. YOUR PHONE WILL WIPE ITSELF AT THIS POINT!
  19. That's it! You're done!

dcunlocker1squash.png
dcunlocker2squash.png
[/QUOTE]

Our Device is "not listed" on DC-Unlockers Homepage, but it was added with DC-Unlocker Update on August 18th!

The Forum Member @mgbotoe and and @TEKHD confirmed this method is working.

Here is a also a screenshot for confirmation from @TEKHD.
http%3A%2F%2Ftekhd.com%2Fimages%2FHonor_8_TEKXodus.jpg

The "new new" unofficial method > Like them on Facebook for free unlocking if you own a Dongle ...

use this link:
https://www.facebook.com/DCUnlocker/app/248576321968152/
to get free Credits for DC Unlocker. You must have at least 20 friends to use this.
If you need friends. send an invitation to https://www.facebook.com/tom.bomba.7771 ... (This is an empty Facebook account for adding friends to your list :) )

2. Install TWRP + SuperSU

TWRP credit to @paulobrien from Modaco.
SU credit to @Chainfire
Tutorial credit to @TEKHD

TWRP KIT & ROOT - EASY STEPS

Step-0 -> Unlocked Bootloader

Step-1 -> Download ADB Kit with Honor 8 TWRP >>> For Honor 8 FRD-L09 or FRD-L19
Download http://workupload.com/file/mAWV8Uq >>> For Honor 8 FRD-AL00 or FRD-AL10

Step-2 -> Unrar adb_TWRP_H8_TEKHD.rar & make sure USB Debugging is enabled...

Step-3 -> Connect phone to your PC via USB

Step-4 -> Open a command prompt inside the new folder "adb"

Hold down the SHIFT key and then right-click on "adb" folder

open-command-window.jpg

Step-5 -> Type the following commands (see image below)

Code:
adb reboot bootloader

fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

fastboot reboot

TEKXodus_H8_Soon.png

- After 1st command... phone will boot into fastboot (white screen)
- Once you are in fastboot... type commands #2 & #3

Step-6 -> You now have TWRP! Next step... SU...

TEKXodus_H8_TWRP.png

Step-7 -> Now, go HERE and flash SuperSu via TWRP

TEKXodus_H8_Root_ev.png

TWRP credit to PaulOBrien from Modaco.
SU credit to @Chainfire

Enjoy!

3. FAQ

1. I cannot start recovery after installing TWRP
    >> ( @X04D ) Use "Power + Volume Up" to get into TWRP Recovery.
    >> ( @Kikito94 ) Try to restart into recovery without USB cable connected
    >> ( @spotting ) In my case both tips did not help. I've tried this image:
    >>> USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK <<<
    I've also re uploaded the version of HRT-Team from Huawei Club:
    http://workupload.com/file/mAWV8Uq

2. I cannot use SuperSU / install Busybox
    >> ( @spotting ) you have to "Trust" SuperSU. Open your settings, go to permissions manager, find SuperSU and activate the option Trust this app

3. After Unlocking the bootloader, i see a new screen at startup: Your phone is not safe ... Can i disable this screen?
    >> ( @spotting ) no

4. After Unlocking the Bootloader, i am not able to login into my Huawei ID. For Example i am not able to download a new Design.
    >> (@ ???) Huawei is offering their services to a specific location. After a you have unlocked your bootloader, the device has made a fullwipe. After a wipe, you have to reconnect with your Huawei ID >> from your registered location <<
    Install ""VPN1Click" from playstore. Go to "airplane mode". activate Wireless Lan. Start VPN1click and connect to your registered location. (for example Hongkong!). Login to your Huawei Account ... disable VPN, disable airplane mode ... everything is working now.

___

What is not working (2016.08.25):
Kingroot > it fails ... and says unsopprted device. maybe if more user try it ...
Kingoroot > it fails ... and says unsopprted device. maybe if more user try it ...
___

Last edited:

ajsmsg78

Dec 6, 2008
Selden, NY
Huawei MediaPad X2
Xiaomi Poco F3
Once DCUnlockr supports the Honor 8 (which it may already) you'll be able to unlock with that (unless Huawei sends you the unlock code but a lot of users never got an email) Then simply fastboot flash the TWRP made for your Honor 8 (it's Multilanguage) and then do a data wipe (format data, type in yes), then reboot recovery and flash SuperSU 2.76. Then you'll be rooted. I'll modify the boot.img if you guys want so it doesn't force encryption so when you go back to stock you won't have to wipe your internal storage every time.

Last edited:

mgbotoe

Once DCUnlockr supports the Honor 8 (which it may already) you'll be able to unlock with that (unless Huawei sends you the unlock code but a lot of users never got an email) Then simply fastboot flash the TWRP made for your Honor 8 (it's Multanguage) and then do a data wipe (format data, type in yes), then reboot recovery and flash SuperSU 2.76. Then you'll be rooted. I'll modify the boot.img if you guys want so it doesn't force encryption so when you go back to stock you won't have to wipe your internal storage every time.

I do not think it actually support it...I'm charging up at the moment. But indeed, honor has not gotten back to me regarding unlocking my bootloader. Have it on charger now will be trying out DCUnlockr support here in a moment.
Update:
I stand corrected, seems it was made compatible with DCUnlockr 8/18

Last edited:
Reactions: GalaxySII_newguy
May 30, 2011
Thanks everyone, that's kinda of exciting, I can't wait see what the future holds for this phone, thanks all of you guys for your time and efforts.

guitardedhero

Jan 17, 2012
Little Rock
I cannot, for the life of me, activate my Club Huawei account to move beyond the first step. The account is created as it shows to currently exist when attempting to register, but logging in does not work, nor does attempting to activate the account from the automatic email after registering. Not a good start for this accustomed Nexus user.

mgbotoe

I cannot, for the life of me, activate my Club Huawei account to move beyond the first step. The account is created as it shows to currently exist when attempting to register, but logging in does not work, nor does attempting to activate the account from the automatic email after registering. Not a good start for this accustomed Nexus user.
Lol well if thou do activate it make sure to remember your password because you may not be able to reset it without security questions I didn't know we need to have lol. I ended up making a second one.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

enriqrez

Jul 15, 2010

Try using the Chinese version of the same website with Google translate.
I have had success doing this, for some reason, Huawei's US portal is disabled.

mynote@xda

Mar 24, 2013
I will get my Honor8 tomorrow.
I am not able to find download-links for TWRP and Supersu
Has somebody downloaded yet and would upload them here, please?
So I can try root shortly and give a reply, if it will work.
Thanks.

mgbotoe

I will get my Honor8 tomorrow.
I am not able to find download-links for TWRP and Supersu
Has somebody downloaded yet and would upload them here, please?
So I can try root shortly and give a reply, if it will work.
Thanks.

We currently do not have a TWRP compatible with our device. I am going to take a look at that more so over the weekend after some homework (my work schedule is currently jacked up and driving me bonko).
If I make any progress I will PM you with instructions :)

Reactions: mynote@xda

Kikito94

Apr 23, 2015
Var
Hi everyone, seen that this topic talk about root, etc...
Can we expect there will be a multitool for this 8 too ?
It will be great for debranding :)
Thank's

mgbotoe

Unofficial method re-confirmed working... perfectly...

Honor_8_TEKXodus.jpg

Now, we just need to keep an eye HERE... for TWRP

We should see "Huawei Honor 8" soon...

@spotting -> you can use the pics if you want...
Ya been staring at the page for a while.. Hope something happens before I take an unofficial stab this weekend

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

PalakMi

Aug 18, 2016
Oujda
Hi everyone, seen that this topic talk about root, etc...
Can we expect there will be a multitool for this 8 too ?
It will be great for debranding :)
Thank's
Maybe, who knows?!

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

Unofficial method re-confirmed working... perfectly...

Now, we just need to keep an eyeHERE... for TWRP

We should see "Huawei Honor 8" soon...

@spotting-> you can use the pics if you want...
Great, twrp please come soon :laugh:

mynote@xda

Mar 24, 2013
Do you have TWRP?
I have unlocked Bootloader. Did it via DCunlocker.
Can you post downloadlinks for all?

spotting

Mar 21, 2011

mynote@xda

Mar 24, 2013
I tried to flash both TWRP via fastboot to my H8-FRD-AL10.
Data transfer is working fine, but always when I reboot my phone I have still stock recovery.

Since I unlocked yesterday bootloaders appears always a new information screen, my device is unlocked and can't be trusted.
Here i have to choose, what I want:
1. Press Power to continue
2. Press Vol-Up for 3 seconds to enter erecovey and restore my device

Any ideas?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introduction:

Honestly, this is not my work, even not my text. But it fits in this forum and i am going to update this until i can confirm, everything will work (for my device: FRD-AL10). I am not a developer, just an experienced (?) user. From now on, you can only find quotes. if there is anything written italic inside, i have changed these informations. You can find the original informations by using the given links. If i violate against the rules, i want to excuse my behavior. This thread is created to help everyone, making it easier to get a nice experience with our Honor 8.

Summary:

1. get your Bootloader Unlock code
    2. Install Custom Recovery (TWRP) + SuperSU
    3. FAQ

1. get your Bootloader Unlock Code

first step:
    quoted from @paulobrien
    http://xdaforums.com/honor-7/general/guide-how-to-bootloader-unlock-honor-7-t3328603

The official method

In order to unlock your Honor device using the official method, complete the following steps:

1. Visit https://www.emui.com/en/plugin.php?id=unlock&mod=detail and either create a new account or login with an existing Huawei account.
    2. In the form displayed after logging in, enter:
      1. Your phone model ("FRD-AL10" for the Honor 8 4 GB Ram / 64 GB Rom // or maybe "FRD-AL00" or "FRD-L09" etc)
      2. Your phone serial number (this can be found in Settings -> About -> Status)
      3. Your phone IMEI1 (this can be found in Settings -> About -> Status)
      4. Your phone product ID (to find this, open the dialler and enter *#*#1357946#*#*)
      5. The captcha code
    3. Press the 'Submit' button.
    4. At this point you will either be provided with a code, or you will receive an error such as 'The Huawei ID used to apply for the unlock code has not been used on the device for more than 14 days.' If you get the error, you will need to use the unofficial method below.
    5. Open a command window on your PC / Mac, which needs to have 'adb' and 'fastboot' installed from the Android SDK.
    6. Enable USB debugging by tapping the build number in Settings -> About 5 times, then going back and selecting the option from the Development menu.
    7. Enable OEM unlock in the Development menu.
    8. Connect your phone to the PC and approve the security prompt on the device screen.
    9. In the command window on your PC / Mac, enter 'adb reboot bootloader' to enter fastboot mode'.
    10. In the command window on your PC / Mac, enter 'fastboot oem unlock [insertnumberhere]', of course using the number provided by the Huawei site.
    11. YOUR PHONE WILL WIPE ITSELF AT THIS POINT!
    12. That's it! You're done!

terminalsquash.png

If the link above is not working, you can use this link:
    https://emui.huawei.com/en/plugin.php?id=unlock&mod=detail

The "new" unofficial method. You have to pay 0,99 € to get your unlock code. (Google play)

DC Unlocker created some apps:

It seems, this one is created to read your bootloader code:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dc.huaweibootloadercodes

Follow the Tutorial posted above, but instead of installing DC-Unlocker you can use this app.
    Confirmed by User @nudi (Post 38)

There is also an unofficial method. You have to pay 4 € to get your unlock code.
    The unofficial method

In order to unlock your Honor device using the unofficial method, if for example you receive the '14 day' error from the Huwei site, complete the following steps:

1. On a Windows PC, download and install DC-unlocker from https://www.dc-unlocker.com/.
    2. On your phone, enter Manufacturer Mode - open the dialler and enter *#*#2846579#*#*. In the app that then opens, select Project Menu -> Background settings -> USB ports settings -> Manufacturer Mode.
    3. Download the Huawei driver pack from https://files.dc-unlocker.com/share.html?v=share/88D4A98C154D4E19AF9D4A1EF09BA620.
    4. Install the Huawei driver pack by extracting the file you just downloaded (using WinRAR or similar) and running 'DriverSetup'
    5. After installing the driver pack, connect your phone to the PC. In Device Manager, after the automated driver install, you should have no 'Unknown Devices'.
    6. Launch the previously downloaded DC-unlocker application.
    7. From the drop down lists, select 'Huawei Phones' and 'Auto Detect Model'.
    8. Press the magnifying glass icon - the app will then search for your phone.
    9. You should see an image like the one below showing your phone is found. At this point, press the 'Buy Credits' option to set up your DC-Unlocker account and purchase the 4 credits required for code retrieval (this will cost €4). You can also do this directly from the DC-Unlocker website.
    10. After your credit purchase is complete, click the 'Server' section and enter your new DC-unlocker login details. Press 'Check Login' to validate the details (if the server is busy, this may take multiple attempts).
    11. Click the 'Unlocking' section, and click 'Read Bootloader Code'. Do NOT click 'Unlock'. Again, if the server is busy, this may take multiple attempts. The white area of the app will now display the bootloader code. Screen grab this just in case!
    12. Open a command window on your PC, which needs to have 'adb' and 'fastboot' installed from the Android SDK.
    13. Enable USB debugging by tapping the build number in Settings -> About 5 times, then going back and selecting the option from the Development menu.
    14. Enable OEM unlock in the Development menu.
    15. Connect your phone to the PC and approve the security prompt on the device screen.
    16. In the command window on your PC / Mac, enter 'adb reboot bootloader' to enter fastboot mode'.
    17. In the command window on your PC / Mac, enter 'fastboot oem unlock [insertnumberhere]', of course using the number provided by the DC-Unlocker process.
    18. YOUR PHONE WILL WIPE ITSELF AT THIS POINT!
    19. That's it! You're done!

dcunlocker1squash.png
    dcunlocker2squash.png
    [/QUOTE]

Our Device is "not listed" on DC-Unlockers Homepage, but it was added with DC-Unlocker Update on August 18th!

The Forum Member @mgbotoe and and @TEKHD confirmed this method is working.

Here is a also a screenshot for confirmation from @TEKHD.
    http%3A%2F%2Ftekhd.com%2Fimages%2FHonor_8_TEKXodus.jpg

The "new new" unofficial method > Like them on Facebook for free unlocking if you own a Dongle ...

use this link:
    https://www.facebook.com/DCUnlocker/app/248576321968152/
    to get free Credits for DC Unlocker. You must have at least 20 friends to use this.
    If you need friends. send an invitation to https://www.facebook.com/tom.bomba.7771 ... (This is an empty Facebook account for adding friends to your list :) )

2. Install TWRP + SuperSU

TWRP credit to @paulobrien from Modaco.
    SU credit to @Chainfire
    Tutorial credit to @TEKHD

Step-1 -> Download ADB Kit with Honor 8 TWRP >>> For Honor 8 FRD-L09 or FRD-L19
    Download http://workupload.com/file/mAWV8Uq >>> For Honor 8 FRD-AL00 or FRD-AL10

open-command-window.jpg

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

fastboot reboot

TEKXodus_H8_Soon.png

TEKXodus_H8_TWRP.png

TEKXodus_H8_Root_ev.png

SU credit to @Chainfire

Enjoy!

3. FAQ

1. I cannot start recovery after installing TWRP
      >> ( @X04D ) Use "Power + Volume Up" to get into TWRP Recovery.
      >> ( @Kikito94 ) Try to restart into recovery without USB cable connected
      >> ( @spotting ) In my case both tips did not help. I've tried this image:
      >>> USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK <<<
      I've also re uploaded the version of HRT-Team from Huawei Club:
      http://workupload.com/file/mAWV8Uq

2. I cannot use SuperSU / install Busybox
      >> ( @spotting ) you have to "Trust" SuperSU. Open your settings, go to permissions manager, find SuperSU and activate the option Trust this app

3. After Unlocking the bootloader, i see a new screen at startup: Your phone is not safe ... Can i disable this screen?
      >> ( @spotting ) no

4. After Unlocking the Bootloader, i am not able to login into my Huawei ID. For Example i am not able to download a new Design.
      >> (@ ???) Huawei is offering their services to a specific location. After a you have unlocked your bootloader, the device has made a fullwipe. After a wipe, you have to reconnect with your Huawei ID >> from your registered location <<
      Install ""VPN1Click" from playstore. Go to "airplane mode". activate Wireless Lan. Start VPN1click and connect to your registered location. (for example Hongkong!). Login to your Huawei Account ... disable VPN, disable airplane mode ... everything is working now.

___

What is not working (2016.08.25):
    Kingroot > it fails ... and says unsopprted device. maybe if more user try it ...
    Kingoroot > it fails ... and says unsopprted device. maybe if more user try it ...
    ___

Step-1 -> Download ADB Kit with Honor 8 TWRP

open-command-window.jpg

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

fastboot reboot

TEKXodus_H8_Soon.png

TEKXodus_H8_TWRP.png

TEKXodus_H8_Root_ev.png

SU credit to @Chainfire

Enjoy!
    Guys, if my device is rooted, how does updating the device work? Is there any way to update the device without wiping all data? Normal OTA doesn't work with rooted devices, so I used to flash the stock image while having a No-Wipe mode on my Nexus 5. Is there any similar method for the Honor 8?
    U can always flash TWRP to the erecovery (recovery2) partition, so no need to flash the stock Recovery before the update.
    This way you can have stock recovery & TWRP at the same time.

Works on Honor 7 and P9, u can test on Honor 8.

When your phone boots just press volume up at the screen which says that your device is unlocked and can't be trusted. You also can use the apk from here:

http://xdaforums.com/honor-7/general/dual-recovery-honor-7-t3308398
    Just a reminder...

LAST WEEK TO GET THE UNLOCK CODE!!!

Service will be terminated by Huawei on or about the next 24th, see posts above.
    Once DCUnlockr supports the Honor 8 (which it may already) you'll be able to unlock with that (unless Huawei sends you the unlock code but a lot of users never got an email) Then simply fastboot flash the TWRP made for your Honor 8 (it's Multilanguage) and then do a data wipe (format data, type in yes), then reboot recovery and flash SuperSU 2.76. Then you'll be rooted. I'll modify the boot.img if you guys want so it doesn't force encryption so when you go back to stock you won't have to wipe your internal storage every time.