• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE] Unlock Bootloader, Root & Install TWRP **UPDATE 11/24/15**

Which model of X2 do you own?

• GEM-701L

Votes: 52 27.2%
  • GEM-702L

Votes: 80 41.9%
  • GEM-703L

Votes: 61 31.9%

• Total voters
Search This thread

ajsmsg78

Dec 6, 2008
Selden, NY
Huawei MediaPad X2
Huawei Mate 9
For an easy way to unlock & root your X2 here are the steps you need to take. This has been requested by a number of you so here it goes:

1) Unlock your bootloader. There are three steps you can take. The first two are free. The third method requires you to pay a few dollars but it works and is the fastest way. I would highly recommended this method. This is confirmed working on all models.

Option 1: Send an email to [email protected] Email them the following. They usually email you back and tell you to do option 2 or never email you back:

Hello. I keep getting an error when trying to unlock my phone on the unlock page.

Model: GEM-703L (Or whatever model you have)
Serial: Put in your phones serial number here. (You get this in About phone, Status)
IMEI: Put in your phones IMEI number here. (You get this in About phone, Status, it's IMEI1)
Product ID: (Go into your phone dialer and dial *#*#1357946#*#* and it will give you your Product ID)

Thank you for your help
(Your name here)

Option 2: Make a Huawei ID on your phone and stay signed in for 14 days and then go online to unlock your bootloader and it should work on the website.

Option 3: If you want to unlock your phone immediately and don't mind paying a few dollars this is the best and easiest way. Thanks to kpcheang2 for the original information. Visit here:
https://www.dc-unlocker.com/how-to-read-huawei-bootloader-unlock-code

- Download the DC Unlocker Software
- On their site buy 4 credits. https://www.dc-unlocker.com/buy I used PayPal. It cost me around $4.38 USD.
- Follow the instructions in their tutorial. Make sure you put the phone in Manufacture Mode. Choose "Read Bootloader Code" in DC-Unlocker to get your bootloader code.
- Put your phone in bootloader mode (plug into the computer and hold in power and volume down with the phone off) and do a fastboot oem unlock xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx where x is your bootloader unlock code the DC Unlocker program gave you.

2) Download TWRP recovery from here if you're already on Android 5.1.1
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=529152257862716585

2b) Download this TWRP if you're on Android 5.0 (Now in English!)
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=457095661767151055

Put your phone into Bootloader Mode and fastboot flash the TWRP recovery file you downloaded. (extract the img file from the rar file first) I'm not gonna go over how to use Fastboot here as there are many guides on many different websites on how to use it. Then do a fastboot reboot. When your phone reboots shut it back down and then hold in volume up and power until it turns on and keep holding in volume up until the phone boots into TWRP recovery.

3) Root your phone.
In TWRP flash SuperSU:

After flashing, reboot your phone and you will be rooted. If you want to manually upgrade to a specific Huawei build or flash back to stock, flash one of my modded Kangvip ROMS or visit bark1234's or eenapps thread for the downloads and instructions. Thanks to bark1234 and eennap for their threads and downloads.

Last edited:

t69broken

Aug 7, 2008
Still nothing

So I've been trying to root since I was able to unlock my bootloader, which I was able to do from the website method.

I could not get adb to work with the other method listed on here.

Now with fastboot, my device is identified per the fastboot devices
I am able to run command fastboot flash recovery twrp_cn.img and it looks successful
so I restart and shut down
hold vol up and power and it vibrates and restarts and vibrates and restarts.....
I go back and flash the default recovey and am able to access this with the vol up and power, but cannot get to the twrp recovery. I have tried flashing a couple of versions and no custom recovery can I boot to.

Any help would be appreciated.

ajsmsg78

Dec 6, 2008
Selden, NY
Huawei MediaPad X2
Huawei Mate 9
So I've been trying to root since I was able to unlock my bootloader, which I was able to do from the website method.

I am able to run command fastboot flash recovery twrp_cn.img and it looks successful
hold vol up and power and it vibrates and restarts and vibrates and restarts.....
I go back and flash the default recovey and am able to access this with the vol up and power, but cannot get to the twrp recovery. I have tried flashing a couple of versions and no custom recovery can I boot to.

What model are you using? Also, what are you on, B106? When you boot into TWRP, I'm sure you already know this but make sure there is no cable plugged into the phone. Mine vibrates once after installing TWRP but I remain holding in volume up and it boots into TWRP the second time.

Last edited:
Reactions: t69broken

Chewy58204

Sep 30, 2014
Enola, PA
I've been e-mailing them for almost two months and I haven't received one reply from them. I have the 703L and I've tried their website over and over with Google Translate's help. I always get the same error about the log books not being older than 14 days. I just can't get anywhere with Huawei and it's super frustrating that they don't support the U.S. that well.

t69broken

Aug 7, 2008
What I did

Just signed up for the huawei cloud service. And after 14 days I was able to get the unlock code. Worked first time after trying the email way and waiting.

WereCatf

Jun 16, 2011
Does anyone know if these instructions would work on the Mediapad M2? They both use the same SoC and the display resolution is the same, though the M2 is 8" and the X2 is 7". The M2 ships with Lollipop 5.1 instead of 5.0, but I don't know if that makes any difference here.

ajsmsg78

Dec 6, 2008
Selden, NY
Huawei MediaPad X2
Huawei Mate 9
Does anyone know if these instructions would work on the Mediapad M2? They both use the same SoC and the display resolution is the same, though the M2 is 8" and the X2 is 7". The M2 ships with Lollipop 5.1 instead of 5.0, but I don't know if that makes any difference here.

DC Unlocker should work to unlock your bootloader but I'm not sure about everything else. I would imagine if you could find a build of TWRP for the M2 you can use the root method in the OP and it should work.

WereCatf

Jun 16, 2011
DC Unlocker should work to unlock your bootloader but I'm not sure about everything else. I would imagine if you could find a build of TWRP for the M2 you can use the root method in the OP and it should work.

I have been trying to look, but I have yet to find TWRP for M2. I guess it's just too new yet and/or not popular enough to have garnered much support from the community. Thanks anyways, I'll just proceed with unlocking the bootloader for now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For an easy way to unlock & root your X2 here are the steps you need to take. This has been requested by a number of you so here it goes:

1) Unlock your bootloader. There are three steps you can take. The first two are free. The third method requires you to pay a few dollars but it works and is the fastest way. I would highly recommended this method. This is confirmed working on all models.

Option 1: Send an email to [email protected] Email them the following. They usually email you back and tell you to do option 2 or never email you back:

Hello. I keep getting an error when trying to unlock my phone on the unlock page.

Model: GEM-703L (Or whatever model you have)
    Serial: Put in your phones serial number here. (You get this in About phone, Status)
    IMEI: Put in your phones IMEI number here. (You get this in About phone, Status, it's IMEI1)
    Product ID: (Go into your phone dialer and dial *#*#1357946#*#* and it will give you your Product ID)

Thank you for your help
    (Your name here)

Option 2: Make a Huawei ID on your phone and stay signed in for 14 days and then go online to unlock your bootloader and it should work on the website.

Option 3: If you want to unlock your phone immediately and don't mind paying a few dollars this is the best and easiest way. Thanks to kpcheang2 for the original information. Visit here:
    https://www.dc-unlocker.com/how-to-read-huawei-bootloader-unlock-code

- Download the DC Unlocker Software
    - On their site buy 4 credits. https://www.dc-unlocker.com/buy I used PayPal. It cost me around $4.38 USD.
    - Follow the instructions in their tutorial. Make sure you put the phone in Manufacture Mode. Choose "Read Bootloader Code" in DC-Unlocker to get your bootloader code.
    - Put your phone in bootloader mode (plug into the computer and hold in power and volume down with the phone off) and do a fastboot oem unlock xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx where x is your bootloader unlock code the DC Unlocker program gave you.

2) Download TWRP recovery from here if you're already on Android 5.1.1
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=529152257862716585

2b) Download this TWRP if you're on Android 5.0 (Now in English!)
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=457095661767151055

Put your phone into Bootloader Mode and fastboot flash the TWRP recovery file you downloaded. (extract the img file from the rar file first) I'm not gonna go over how to use Fastboot here as there are many guides on many different websites on how to use it. Then do a fastboot reboot. When your phone reboots shut it back down and then hold in volume up and power until it turns on and keep holding in volume up until the phone boots into TWRP recovery.

3) Root your phone.
    In TWRP flash SuperSU:

After flashing, reboot your phone and you will be rooted. If you want to manually upgrade to a specific Huawei build or flash back to stock, flash one of my modded Kangvip ROMS or visit bark1234's or eenapps thread for the downloads and instructions. Thanks to bark1234 and eennap for their threads and downloads.
    Hi,

Joseph reported to get bootloader code immediately via Chinese website: 'To calculate unlock code I used Chinese version of http://emui.huawei.com/ and created account.
    After login into my account I went on that page: https://emui.huawei.com/plugin/unlock/index
    I agreed and confirmed and on the next page I just filled S/N, IMEI and ID.
    ok, that was hard for an not-at-all Chinese-speaker, but it seemed to work!

I was able to create an account with Chromium and the automatic website-translator, I was even able to login with this account, be going on the unlock-page, always brought me back to the login page, no idea why :(

So I tried it with Firefox and had more success, unfortunately the website-translator is missing there, so I had to use translate.google.com. But finally I had success, now I still have to try the unlock code.

For all other not-at-all Chinese-speakers I attached some screenshots with the translated fields.

For the S/N and IMEI go to "Settings" -> "About Phone" -> "Status"
    For the Product ID open the dialpad and enter *#*#1357946#*#*

Thanks again,

kind regards,

thgxda

I have been trying to look, but I have yet to find TWRP for M2. I guess it's just too new yet and/or not popular enough to have garnered much support from the community. Thanks anyways, I'll just proceed with unlocking the bootloader for now.
    Heads up, dc-unlocker forum is giving away user/password with 4 credits for free
    https://forum.dc-unlocker.com/forum...26-test-huawei-phones-on-dc-unlocker-for-free

What model are you using? Also, what are you on, B106? When you boot into TWRP, I'm sure you already know this but make sure there is no cable plugged into the phone. Mine vibrates once after installing TWRP but I remain holding in volume up and it boots into TWRP the second time.