and added a bit more to the FAQ:

-EFS bootloop restore issues
-specific .img installs through fastboot
-info about vendor partition

Happy December!

Last edited:

N00dle

Feb 13, 2007
What have you done to get stuck at the boot logo? What are you attempting to do?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I updated to the November OTA and somehow lost root and TWRP so I reflashed TWRP and then am trying to flash SuperSU 2.78 SR5 and that is when I'm getting stuck at the boot animation.

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
I updated to the November OTA and somehow lost root and TWRP so I reflashed TWRP and then am trying to flash SuperSU 2.78 SR5 and that is when I'm getting stuck at the boot animation.
You will always lose root when upgrading. Reflash system, boot, and latest TWRP in fastboot. Next boot into TWRP and flash SuperSU 2.78 SR5 again. If this still freezes then try flashing SuperSU SR4.

Reactions: N00dle

ch.ch1

Oct 22, 2012
NYC
I updated my phone to N5D91L, and flashed TWRP, but I can't get into the recovery. When TWRP starts it asks me for my password, but afterwards I only see this

Code:
Mount
Trying Decryption
Updating partition details...
...done
[COLOR="Red"]Unable to mount storage[/COLOR]
Full SELinux support is present

And it stays on this screen, as the bar on the bottom just goes and goes. I have to poweroff my phone to get it back to normal mode.
I tried both TWRP 3.0.1.-0 and TWRP 3.0.2-0. I did not flash TWRP 3.0.2-1 / 3.0.2-2 as per the bugs.

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
I updated my phone to N5D91L, and flashed TWRP, but I can't get into the recovery. When TWRP starts it asks me for my password, but afterwards I only see this

Code:
Mount
Trying Decryption
Updating partition details...
...done
[COLOR="Red"]Unable to mount storage[/COLOR]
Full SELinux support is present

And it stays on this screen, as the bar on the bottom just goes and goes. I have to poweroff my phone to get it back to normal mode.
I tried both TWRP 3.0.1.-0 and TWRP 3.0.2-0. I did not flash TWRP 3.0.2-1 / 3.0.2-2 as per the bugs.

Despite the bugs, TWRP 3.0.2-1 and 3.0.2-2 are unfortunately the only two official versions that are currently compatible with Nougat 7.0 and newer.

Edit: If you want to use TWRP 3.0.2, you must either:

a) "fastboot format userdata" and stay decrypted going forward (use a modified boot.img when updating). This is more of a hassle than its worth.
b) fastboot flash a Marshmallow vendor.img, boot into TWRP, do recovery things, fastboot flash the Nougat 7.0+ vendor.img, reboot into rom.

Last edited:

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
Despite the bugs, TWRP 3.0.2-1 and 3.0.2-2 are unfortunately the only two official versions that are currently compatible with Nougat 7.0 and newer.

Edit: If you want to use TWRP 3.0.2, you must either:

a) "fastboot format userdata" and stay decrypted going forward (use a modified boot.img when updating). This is more of a hassle than its worth.
b) fastboot flash a Marshmallow vendor.img, boot into TWRP, do recovery things, fastboot flash the Nougat 7.0+ vendor.img, reboot into rom.
I know it isn't "official" but doesn't the unofficial TWRP 3.0.2-3 have the bugs fixed (both EFS and large partition)

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

Try the unofficial TWRP 3.0.2-3

http://xdaforums.com/nexus-5x/orig-...h-recovery-t3230471/post69556306#post69556306

Also make sure your vendor and system are matched.

M4CHIN3H34D

Oct 24, 2014
If this question has already been answered I apologize. I followed this process exactly, aside from using a modified boot image to decrypt my data. TWRP would not mount internal storage without it. So now I am rooted, but I have the November security patch in my notification tray annoying me. Also, android 7.1 official is right around the corner, and I will want to upgrade. I tried using flashfire to flash the security patch, but it gives me an error and says it is likely to fail. I am not sure but I assume this has to do with the modified boot image. What would be the best way for me to go about updating?

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
If this question has already been answered I apologize. I followed this process exactly, aside from using a modified boot image to decrypt my data. TWRP would not mount internal storage without it. So now I am rooted, but I have the November security patch in my notification tray annoying me. Also, android 7.1 official is right around the corner, and I will want to upgrade. I tried using flashfire to flash the security patch, but it gives me an error and says it is likely to fail. I am not sure but I assume this has to do with the modified boot image. What would be the best way for me to go about updating?

Use section 9

tvoneicken

Oct 31, 2010
I'm having trouble getting my 5x out of an endless boot animation and am not sure what to try next. New device, Nougat 7.0, got november security update, unlocked bootloader, flashed twrp 3.0.2-2 . Rebooted into twrp then realized I needed to have downloaded SuperSu to phone first, oops, rebooted to hope to download it, but now I'm stuck in an endless boot animation (the 4 animated circles). Flashed twrp-3.0.2-3, but no change. Suggestions?
Thank you!

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
I'm having trouble getting my 5x out of an endless boot animation and am not sure what to try next. New device, Nougat 7.0, got november security update, unlocked bootloader, flashed twrp 3.0.2-2 . Rebooted into twrp then realized I needed to have downloaded SuperSu to phone first, oops, rebooted to hope to download it, but now I'm stuck in an endless boot animation (the 4 animated circles). Flashed twrp-3.0.2-3, but no change. Suggestions?
Thank you!

Hmm, that isn't a good sign since we have bootloop issues on the 5X. Could you try running the factory images? If you have no data on the phone that you care about, run this command too:

Code:
fastboot format userdata

it will format your entire phone including internal storage.

tvoneicken

Oct 31, 2010
Hmm, that isn't a good sign since we have bootloop issues on the 5X. Could you try running the factory images? If you have no data on the phone that you care about, run this command too:

Code:
fastboot format userdata

it will format your entire phone including internal storage.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have any data I care abount on the phone, so just to confirm, this owuld be running the format userdata followed by procedure 10 "How To Flash The Factory Images (Return To Stock)", right?

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have any data I care abount on the phone, so just to confirm, this owuld be running the format userdata followed by procedure 10 "How To Flash The Factory Images (Return To Stock)", right?
Correct. Just do not lock the bootloader.

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
Thanks, that worked! Phew....
Now the question is whether I can install the lastest 7.1.1 image and still root...

You can if you want. I am already using NMF26F with SuperSU 2.78 SR5 and EX kernel. Used section 9 to update from 7.1.1 developer preview 2. Of course it'll work the same updating from 7.0.

xabier-bo

Sep 17, 2014
You can if you want. I am already using NMF26F with SuperSU 2.78 SR5 and EX kernel. Used section 9 to update from 7.1.1 developer preview 2. Of course it'll work the same updating from 7.0.
Sorry if it has been already said:
You were in DP2, and you have flashed over factory NMF26F?
And you have had no issue and kept your data?
Is that correct?

Ryder.

Feb 4, 2016
Can i update the factory images from 7.1.1 dp2 to 7.1.1 final release without full wipe or factory reset?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+3]Heisenberg's How-To Guide For Beginners[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]Nexus 5X[/SIZE]
    GLoF1eq.jpg

[SIZE=+1]Intro[/SIZE]

This thread will serve as a location for basic how-to guides for the Nexus 5X. I'm going to start off with a couple of the more obvious ones and go from there. If anyone has any suggestions for additions please feel free to let me know.

If you're unsure about something please read the FAQ section in post #2 before creating a post to ask a question.

[size=+1]Prerequisites[/size]:

You'll need a working adb/fastboot environment on your PC to get through some of these guides. Below are two options for install.

Please do not install adb/fastboot via any means other than the Android SDK, using other tools (like Minimal adb & fastboot) can lead to an outdated setup and various problems with flashing. You've been warned, other tools will not be supported in this thread.

Option A
    Google hosts ADB/Fastboot (platform-tools) for Windows, OSX, and Linux. This is a minimal download, in contrast to Option 2. These links and file sizes may be updated periodically by Google. If using Windows, download the Google USB Driver and follow the driver install instructions. Once you have downloaded the platform-tools zip, extract the file then transfer the platform-tools folder to your desktop. The platform-tools folder contains adb, fastboot, and several other files. Note that clicking any link for platform-tools will immediately start a download.

*Windows: platform-tools. Google USB Driver install.
    *OSX: platform-tools. For additional details on how to use OSX and adb/fastboot commands, see post #3.
    *Linux: platform-tools.

See Option B below for old method to install adb/fastboot:

Option B
    Go here to download the Android SDK, which will give you most updated version of adb and fastboot. Scroll to the bottom of the page and find Other Download Options>SDK Tools Only, and grab the right version for your OS. While it's downloading create a folder in C:\ called SDK (C:\SDK). Once you've downloaded the zip you can extract it into your C:\SDK folder. Navigate to C:\SDK\android-sdk-windows and open SDK Manager.exe. In SDK Manager you need to install the following packages:

Tools> Android SDK Tools, Android SDK Platform-tools
    Extras> Android Support Repository, Google USB Driver

Once you have installed those, inside C:\SDK you should see some new folders, one of them will be called platform-tools, within that folder you should see fastboot.exe and adb.exe. I'll refer to this as your fastboot folder/directory or working folder/directory during this guide.

For Option A and B, make sure adb is correctly installed. Open a command prompt from within your fastboot folder (hold shift + right click, select open command prompt here) and issue this command:
    Code:
    adb version

If it returns a version number for Android Debug Bridge then you're good to go.

You can test adb by connecting your device to your PC while booted into Android (making sure that adb/usb debugging is enabled in Settings>Developer Options) with the screen unlocked and issuing this command:
    Code:
    adb devices
    It should return your device serial number, if so, adb is working.

You can test fastboot by connecting your device to your PC while booted into the bootloader (power + volume down) and issuing this command:
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    It should return your device serial number, if so, fastboot is working.

By attempting any of the processes listed this thread you accept full responsibility for your actions. I will not be held responsible if your device stops working, catches on fire, or turns into a hipster and claims to have been modified before it was cool.

z7e6jQa.jpg

[SIZE=+1]Quick Tips[/SIZE]

How to boot into the bootloader:
    Power off your device. Once it's powered off hold power + volume down and the phone will boot into the bootloader. You can also use the following adb command:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    You can also use an app called Quick Boot to boot into the bootloader directly from Android (root required).

How to boot into recovery:
    Boot into the bootloader (see above), use the volume keys to scroll through the options and use the power button to select the recovery mode option. You can also use the following adb command:
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery
    You can also use an app called Quick Boot to boot into the recovery directly from Android (root required).

z7e6jQa.jpg

[SIZE=+1]Index[/SIZE]

1. How To Unlock Your Bootloader
    2. How To Install A Custom Recovery On Your Device
    3. How To Decrypt Your Data Partition
    4. How To Make A Nandroid Backup With TWRP Recovery
    5. How To Make An EFS Backup With TWRP Recovery
    6. How To Root
    7. How To Install A ROM with TWRP Recovery
    8. How To Install A Custom Kernel With TWRP Recovery
    9. How To Update To A New Build Of The Stock ROM
    10. How To Flash The Factory Images (Return To Stock)
    11. How To Flash The Factory Images (Return To Stock But Leaving Internal Storage Intact)
    FAQ can be found in post #2!

z7e6jQa.jpg

[SIZE=+1]1. How To Unlock Your Bootloader[/SIZE]

• Go into Settings/About Phone, scroll down and click on ?build number? continuously until you see a toast notification telling you that you've enabled Developer Options. Go back to your Settings menu and enter Developer Options, scroll down and click on the ?Enable OEM Unlock? checkbox, also make sure you enable USB Debugging while you're in the Developer Options menu.
    • Power off your phone then boot into the bootloader (power + volume down).
    • Connect your phone to your PC via usb cable.
    • Open a command prompt from within your fastboot folder (navigate to where you have fastboot.exe located on your PC, shift + right click anywhere within that folder, select open command prompt here).
    • Check your fastboot connection by issuing this command:

Code:
      fastboot devices

It should return your device serial number, if not you need to make sure your drivers are installed correctly.​
    • Once you've confirmed your fastboot connection issue this command:

Code:
      fastboot oem unlock
      This will erase all user data from the device!
    • You should now see a screen on your phone asking you to confirm this action, use the volume keys to scroll and the power key to confirm if you're sure you want to go ahead.
    • Allow the process to complete and then issue this command:

Code:
      fastboot reboot
    • Allow everything to go ahead and once finished you can disconnect your usb cable.

Important: do not relock your bootloader unless your phone is fully stock. You must flash the factory images first in order to remove root and custom recovery (if you have them), if this precaution isn't taken you may end up with a brick. Please see section 10 of this guide for full instructions on how to return to stock.

z7e6jQa.jpg

[SIZE=+1]2. How To Install A Custom Recovery On Your Device[/SIZE]

Prerequisites: unlocked bootloader (section 1). Please read FAQ #7 if using TWRP 3.0.2-1 or 3.0.2-2.

• Download TWRP Recovery onto your PC.
    • Make sure you check the md5 to verify its integrity (where possible).
    • Place the file in your fastboot folder (this is where fastboot.exe is located on your PC).
    • Power off your phone then boot into the bootloader (power + volume down).
    • Open a command prompt from within your fastboot folder (navigate to where you have fastboot.exe located on your PC, shift + right click anywhere within that folder, select open command prompt here), enter this command:

Code:
      fastboot flash recovery filename.img

(The recovery filename in the command will change depending on which recovery you're flashing)
    • Use the volume keys to scroll and power key to select the Reboot Bootloader option. Once the phone has booted back into the bootloader, use the volume keys to scroll and the power key to boot into your newly flashed recovery. It's now safe to disconnect your usb cable. If using Nougat 7.0 or newer, you must now boot directly into TWRP and flash SuperSU (or your preferred root alternative) so that TWRP will persist between reboots.
    When TWRP boots up you'll be asked whether you want to allow system modifications or to keep it read-only, choose to allow system modifications, there's no benefit to keeping it read-only.

Do not flash the version of SuperSU that TWRP offers to flash for you in order to give you root, it is not compatible and will cause problems. When you attempt to reboot out of TWRP it will tell you that it's detecting that you don't have root and it will offer to root for you, skip past this.

Some users need a custom recovery for a temporary period, so they live boot the recovery. In this scenario, the custom recovery replaces the stock recovery until a reboot is performed. Place the file in your fastboot folder then enter this command:

Code:
    fastboot boot filename.img

(The recovery filename in the command will change depending on which recovery you're flashing)

z7e6jQa.jpg

[SIZE=+1]3. How To Decrypt Your Data Partition[/SIZE]

This is no longer necessary as long as you use TWRP 2.8.7.1 or newer

Prerequisites: unlocked bootloader (section 1).

TWRP recovery cannot decrypt your data partition at this stage. In order for TWRP to be able to read/write on your data partition (to root or create a nandroid backup) you will need to format it, a format will remove encryption.

• Boot into the bootloader and connect your phone to your PC via usb cable.
    • Open a command prompt from within your fastboot folder (navigate to where you have fastboot.exe located on your PC, shift + right click anywhere within that folder, select open command prompt here), enter this command:
      Code:
      fastboot format userdata
      Please note: this will erase all user data from the device!
    • Once the process has completed you can either reboot normally:
      Code:
      fastboot reboot
      Or you can reboot back to the bootloader in order to undertake another task:
      Code:
      fastboot reboot-bootloader

z7e6jQa.jpg

[SIZE=+1]4. How To Make A Nandroid Backup With TWRP Recovery[/SIZE]

Prerequisites: unlocked bootloader (section 1), TWRP recovery (section 2).

A nandroid backup is a very important thing to have before installing any custom software on your device. It's basically a backup of your stock system that you can fall back on if anything goes wrong or if you just want your stock ROM back. You can also use the backup tool to create a backup of your favourite ROM set up exactly the way you like it. The backup you create can be easily restored using the restore tool in TWRP recovery.

Boot TWRP recovery, select the backup option from the TWRP home screen, check the system/data/boot boxes, and swipe to backup. The process will take a few minutes.

z7e6jQa.jpg

[SIZE=+1]5. How To Make An EFS Backup With TWRP Recovery[/SIZE]

An EFS backup is very important to have, if your EFS partition becomes corrupt you will have no IMEI, and therefore will not be able to use the phone as a phone. Making an EFS backup is insurance against this catastrophic event. Without a backup, restoring your EFS can be extremely difficult or impossible. The backup you create can be easily restored using the restore tool in TWRP recovery.

Please read FAQ #7 if using TWRP 3.0.2-1 or 3.0.2-2. Boot into TWRP and select the backup option from the TWRP home screen, make sure only the EFS box is selected, and swipe to backup. The process will take a few seconds. Keep a copy of the backup on your phone and also keep another copy somewhere safe.

z7e6jQa.jpg

[SIZE=+1]6. How To Root[/SIZE]

• Download the latest root method of your choosing to your phone:
      Magisk
      SuperSU Stable
      SuperSU Service Release (SuperSU beta channel)
      Or to root Android Nougat 7.0 visit this thread: Use SuperSU 2.78 or newer.
      [WIP] Android N Preview
    • Boot into TWRP recovery and enter the install menu.
    • Navigate to where you have SuperSU stored on your internal storage and select it.
    • Swipe to install.
    • Once you've installed SuperSU you'll have an option to wipe cache/dalvik and an option to reboot system. Wipe the cache/dalvik, hit the back button, and hit the reboot system button. That's it.
    Do not flash the version of SuperSU that TWRP offers to flash for you in order to give you root, it is not compatible and will cause problems. When you attempt to reboot out of TWRP it will tell you that it's detecting that you don't have root and it will offer to root for you, skip past this. You do have root, ignore this every time it comes up.

z7e6jQa.jpg

[SIZE=+1]7. How To Install A ROM with TWRP Recovery[/SIZE]

Prerequisites: unlocked bootloader (section 1), TWRP recovery (section 2), vendor.img (section 9).

Installing a ROM is a straight forward and easy process. Before you install anything you should make a nandroid backup (instructions above). Next, install the vendor.img that matches the Google security OTA that the ROM you want to install is based on. Find the vendor.img inside the factory images provided by Google then flash this file with fastboot (section 9).

• Download a ROM and appropriate Gapps package and place on your device.
    • Boot into your custom recovery.
      • Select the wipe option from the TWRP home screen.
      • Perform a Factory Reset.
      • Select advanced wipe.
      • Check the system, data, cache, and dalvik cache options.
      • Swipe to wipe.
    • Install the ROM.
      • Select the install option from the TWRP home screen.
      • Navigate to where you have the ROM zip stored on your sd card and select it.
      • Swipe to install.
        Most ROMs will run an installer script at this point but some ROMs have what is called an Aroma Installer which allow you to choose some install options before the script runs.​
      • You will also need to install the appropriate gapps package directly after installing the ROM.
    • Once you've installed all necessary zips you'll have an option to wipe cache/dalvik and an option to reboot system. Wipe the cache/dalvik, hit the back button, and hit the reboot system button.

z7e6jQa.jpg

[SIZE=+1]8. How To Install A Custom Kernel With TWRP Recovery[/SIZE]

A custom kernel can open up a new level of control over your device, such as overclocking/underclocking, undervolting, changing governors, changing I/O schedulers, adjusting colour calibrations, adjusting sound calibrations, and many other options.

• Download a kernel that is compatible with your current ROM.
    • Check the md5 to verify its integrity.
    • Enter TWRP recovery.
    • Select the install option from the TWRP home screen.
    • Navigate to the kernel and select it.
    • Swipe to install.
    • You'll have an option to wipe cache/dalvik and an option to reboot system. Wipe the cache/dalvik, hit the back button, and hit the reboot system button.

Once your phone has booted up you can use a kernel tuning app to change governors, I/O scheduler, clock speed, and other options. Some of the popular kernel apps are Kernel Auditor, EX Kernel Manager, Trickster Mod, No Frills, Kernel Tuner, and many more.

z7e6jQa.jpg

[SIZE=+1]9. How To Update To A New Build Of The Stock ROM[/SIZE]

This method does not wipe your data, so you will keep your apps and settings. You should have no problems, however, if you experience problems you may need to perform a factory reset and flash again. Make a backup first and transfer it to your PC.

• Download the latest build via the appropriate factory images for your model (Nexus 5X/Bullhead) here.

Note: Android 7.1.2 and newer factory images do not contain cache.img. Do not wipe the cache.img for this process when using or moving to Android 7.1.2 or newer. If you have wiped cache.img, download the most recent Android 7.1.1 factory image and flash the cache.img from that zip archive.

• Unzip the bullhead-xxxxxx-factory-xxxxxxxx (x's replace variables) into a directory on your PC (for this guide we'll use C:\bullhead\).
    • Once unzipped you should have a folder named bullhead-xxxxxx (x's replace variables). Open it and move the following files to a new directory named C:\bullhead\images\:
      • bootloader-bullhead-bullhead-xx.xx.img
      • radio-bullhead-bullhead-xx.xx.img
      (Please note that radio and bootloader naming changes from build to build so the filenames and below commands will change with them)
    • Within C:\bullhead\bullhead-xxxxxx\ you'll see another zip archive named image-bullhead-xxxxxx, unzip the contents of that zip into the C:\bullhead\images\ folder we created before. Now within C:\bullhead\images\ you should have the following files:
      • android-info.txt
      • boot.img
      • cache.img
      • recovery.img
      • system.img
      • userdata.img
      • vendor.img
    • Open a command prompt from within your fastboot folder (navigate to where you have fastboot.exe located on your PC, shift + right click anywhere within that folder, select open command prompt here), enter these commands to flash:
      Code:
      fastboot flash bootloader C:\bullhead\images\bootloader-bullhead-bullhead-xx.xx.img
      fastboot flash radio C:\bullhead\images\radio-bullhead-bullhead-xx.xx.img
      fastboot flash boot C:\bullhead\images\boot.img
      fastboot erase cache
      fastboot flash cache C:\bullhead\images\cache.img
      fastboot flash recovery C:\bullhead\images\recovery.img
      fastboot flash system C:\bullhead\images\system.img
      fastboot flash vendor C:\bullhead\images\vendor.img

You can skip flashing the recovery if you wish, but even if you do the stock recovery may be patched on the first boot anyway. So you'll need to flash TWRP and SuperSU again if you need/want those, as well as any other system modifications you may have had.
    • You'll have to flash SuperSU again now, plus add any mods that you previously had.

z7e6jQa.jpg

[SIZE=+1]10. How To Flash The Factory Images (And Return To Stock)[/SIZE]

This section will explain how to return the phone to be like it was when it came out of the box. This will wipe everything from the phone. If you wish to flash the factory images without wiping your personal data from the internal storage please move on to the next section.

Note: Android 7.1.2 and newer factory images do not contain cache.img. Do not wipe the cache.img for this process when using or moving to Android 7.1.2 or newer. If you have wiped cache.img, download the most recent Android 7.1.1 factory image and flash the cache.img from that zip archive.

• Go to Settings/Backup & Reset and perform a factory data reset. This will remove all of your user data from the device (apps, settings, photos, music, etc).
    • Download the appropriate factory images for your model here.
    • Unzip the bullhead-xxxxxx-factory-xxxxxxxx (x's replace variables) into a directory on your PC (for this guide we'll use C:\bullhead\).
    • Once unzipped you should have a folder named bullhead-xxxxxx (x's replace variables). Open it and move the following files to a new directory named C:\bullhead\images\:
      (Please note that radio and bootloader naming changes from build to build so the filenames and below commands will change with them)
    • Within C:\bullhead\bullhead-xxxxxx\ you'll see another zip archive named image-bullhead-xxxxxx, unzip the contents of that zip into the C:\bullhead\images\ folder we created before. Now within C:\bullhead\images\ you should have the following files:
      • android-info.txt
      • boot.img
      • cache.img
      • recovery.img
      • system.img
      • userdata.img
      • vendor.img
    • Open a command prompt from within your fastboot folder (navigate to where you have fastboot.exe located on your PC, shift + right click anywhere within that folder, select open command prompt here), enter these commands to flash:
      Code:
      fastboot flash bootloader C:\bullhead\images\bootloader-bullhead-bullhead-xx.xx.img
      fastboot erase cache

If you wish to you can also relock the bootloader with this command:
      Code:
      fastboot oem lock
      (This command will wipe all user data from the device)

Important: do not lock the bootloader unless you have first flashed the stock images. Locking the bootloader while you have a custom recovery installed can result in a brick. Please also note that the locking procedure will wipe all data on an encrypted device.

Once all commands/flashes are complete you can reboot the device:
      Code:
      fastboot reboot

z7e6jQa.jpg

[SIZE=+1]11. How To Flash The Factory Images (Return To Stock But Leaving Internal Storage Intact)[/SIZE]

Prerequisites: unlocked bootloader (section 1), TWRP recovery (section 2). Note: Android 7.1.2 and newer factory images do not contain cache.img. Do not wipe the cache.img for this process when using or moving to Android 7.1.2 or newer. If you have wiped cache.img, download the most recent Android 7.1.1 factory image and flash the cache.img from that zip archive.

This section will explain how to return the phone to be like it was when it came out of the box, except it will not wipe any of your personal data (photos, music, etc) from the internal storage.

• Download the appropriate factory images for your model here.
      • android-info.txt
      • boot.img
      • cache.img
      • recovery.img
      • system.img
      • userdata.img
      • vendor.img
    • Boot into TWRP recovery and enter the wipe menu, select advanced wipe, check only the data box and swipe to wipe.
    • Go to the TWRP main menu and enter the reboot menu, select bootloader. The phone will now boot into the bootloader, once it has you can connect your phone to your PC via usb cable.
      Code:
      fastboot erase cache
      Once all commands/flashes are complete you can reboot the device:
      Code:
      fastboot reboot

z7e6jQa.jpg
    FAQ can be found in post #2!

aDlDoZJ.jpg

Donate To Me
    [size=+1]Frequently Asked Questions[/size]

1. How do I boot into the bootloader?

Power off your device. Once it's powered off hold power + volume down and the phone will boot into the bootloader. You can also use the following adb command:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    You can also use an app called Quick Boot to boot into the bootloader directly from Android (root required).

2. How do I boot into recovery?

Boot into the bootloader (see above), use the volume keys to scroll through the options and use the power button to select the recovery mode option. You can also use the following adb command:
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery
    You can also use an app called Quick Boot to boot into the recovery directly from Android (root required).

3. When issuing the fastboot flashing unlock command it doesn't work, I only get a list of possible commands. What's going on?

This is usually due to having an outdated adb/fastboot setup. If you installed adb/fastboot by any means other than via the Android SDK this is probably the cause. Visit the prerequisites section in the beginning of this guide to properly install adb/fastboot and ensure that it's up to date.

4. How do I take an OTA or update if I have root or other system modifications on the stock ROM?

You can't take an OTA update while you have root or any system modifications. You'd need to use fastboot to flash the system, boot, and recovery images. It's much easier to just flash the newer build with fastboot, see section 9 of this guide for full instructions.

5. Does taking an OTA update wipe my user data?

No, it doesn't.

6. Do I need to make an EFS backup?

Absolutely yes. An EFS backup is extremely important. If your EFS partition becomes corrupt, your IMEI will disappear and you will not be able to use the phone as a phone. Without a backup it can be extremely difficult (or impossible) to restore your EFS. See the next question for an EFS backup related issue and solution.

7. I have a bootloop after restoring my EFS backup in TWRP 3.0.2-1. What can I do?

TWRP 3.0.2-1 and 3.0.2-2 are the first official TWRP releases with Nougat 7.0 or newer compatibility. Unfortunately, there are separate bugs affecting TWRP 3.0.2-1 and 3.0.2-2. A member of the TWRP development team details these issues right here. This link redirects to a thread in the Nexus 6P forums but also applies to the Nexus 5X. Read the original post of that same thread to learn how to resolve this EFS restore bootloop. You must use ADB and the phone must be booted in TWRP to resolve this issue. These ADB commands work on the Nexus 5X and 6P.

8. Can I flash just the xxxxxx.img from the factory image without losing my data?

Flashing userdata.img will format your entire phone (personal data including SMS/MMS, pictures, downloaded files, etc). You can flash any combination of these partitions (boot, system, vendor, radio, or bootloader) and this will leave your personal data intact. However, any mods that you have installed into system, vendor, or boot will be overwritten and returned to the default factory image setup when you flash these partitions. Flashing recovery.img or a newer version of your custom recovery will replace your existing recovery.

9. After updating my ROM, I get this message on every boot: "There's an internal problem with your device. Contact your manufacturer."

This warning indicates a mismatched vendor and system partition. The vendor partition was formerly integrated in the system partition for previous Nexus devices but is now a separate partition that must be flashed for each Google security update. Download a factory image and update your vendor partition using fastboot so that it matches your rom's OS build and monthly security update. If you have a file explorer installed on your phone, you can determine which vendor.img is installed by navigating to /vendor/build.prop and clicking on the build.prop. The specific vendor installed will be a combination of six numbers and letters listed in all capitals (example: NMF26F) in the ro.vendor.build.fingerprint line. These will always match up with the factory image of the same Android build (six digit alphanumeric name) for this device.

Vendor.img is specific to each OTA and contains proprietary binaries for the phone that regularly receive updates to resolve security risks. If you are a custom rom user, make sure that you flash the vendor.img for the Google monthly security update that you are moving to. Be aware that sometimes AOSP roms utilize the AOSP master branch which has a newer Android build than the monthly security update for this device. You will still need to install that month's vendor.img.

The phone will fail to boot if you mismatch the vendor.img with a different Android version. For instance, a 6.0 Marshmallow vendor.img will not allow your phone to boot on 7.0 Nougat. The vendor.img is typically not included in the custom rom zip but is often available as a separate download in the custom rom thread's first post.
    Here is the modified boot image for MMB29K
    bullhead-mmb29k-mboot.zip (tested working)

The boot image has the following modifications per Chainfires instructions, just like the modified mdb08i boot image:
    - patched sepolicy
    - disabled dmverity
    - disabled forceencrypt

This is for system root.
    Here are modified boot images for MDB08L & MDB08M & MMB29K
    bullhead-mdb08l-mboot.zip (tested working)
    bullhead-mdb08m-mboot.zip (tested working)
    bullhead-mmb29k-mboot.zip (tested working)

These boot images have the following modifications per Chainfires instructions, just like the modified mdb08i boot image:
    - patched sepolicy
    - disabled dmverity
    - disabled forceencrypt
    Updated 2015/12/23!

Updated:

I've edited the guide to include separate sections for systemless root and traditional root. I'll also be adding some extra information for updating and flashing the factory images soon. If I've missed any of the posts by @reddv1 that contain modified boot.img's please let me know and I'll add them to the traditional root section.

EDIT: Extra sections for updating and flashing factory images have been added, plus a section on creating an EFS backup. I've also added an FAQ in the second post.