• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

How To Guide [GUIDE][UNLOCK][ROOT] How to unlock bootloader, flash ArrowOS v11.0 ROM and root Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro

Search This thread

juv3nal

May 3, 2013
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
Excellent guide (y)
My suggestions in terms of improvements:
- 7-day waiting time before unlocking: I would mention that wiping the device or removing the Mi account from the device could result in the timer being reset;
- DFE/Encryption Disabler: it's optional, not needed for the ROM to work and thanks to disabling encryption it compromises security;
- Firmware: Arrow OS requires MIUI V12.0.4.0 firmware, so before flashing Arrow OS it's recommended to downgrade MIUI to this version, otherwise the ROM might not boot

In the future, once more custom ROMs come out, it should be easy to turn this guide into general flashing instructions instead and not just for Arrow OS, which would be a great resource to have here ;)
Hi, when you say to downgrade, do you mean to flash the entire Miui version or just the firmware as a zip file in twrp?

elliwigy

Forum Moderator / Recognized Dev / Dev Relations
Staff member
XDA App Taskforce
Hi everyone, i have one dubt in unlock bootloader process...
When phone wipe /data partition???, after or before wait the time to unlock???
didnt see an answer to your question yet but assuming youre asking if its necessary to wipe data I am pretty sure due to android security device always requires a wipe going from locked to unlock state or vice versa..

so i assume after the unlock device will wipe data so its probably best to backup anything you need prior to unlocking

pl1992aw

Apr 5, 2019
nice guide there...

Sorry, dumb question here... I live in a country that xiaomi release my software officially on 12.0.3.0 ...
is it okay if I flashed it to 12.0.6.0 before I did all you mentioned above ? thanks in advance

As long as you unlock bootloader.
After you unlocked, you can use other region roms and initial versions doesn't matter, but beware that safetynet/google play/netflix/DRM/etc. might not work properly.

And do not re-lock/lock the device when you change to other region roms.

Reactions: ianseer

ianseer

Sep 27, 2010
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
As long as you unlock bootloader.
After you unlocked, you can use other region roms and initial versions doesn't matter, but beware that safetynet/google play/netflix/DRM/etc. might not work properly.

And do not re-lock/lock the device when you change to other region roms.
And i cannot use the 12.0.3.0 firmware to flash Arrow OS... I need to go to 12.0.4.0 or 12.0.6.0 first, right?...

Thanks for the explanation btw

pl1992aw

Apr 5, 2019
And i cannot use the 12.0.3.0 firmware to flash Arrow OS... I need to go to 12.0.4.0 or 12.0.6.0 first, right?...

Thanks for the explanation btw
ArrowOS tells you to use 12.0.4.0/12.0.6.0, then do that if you don't want to face issues.

You can try with your 12.0.3.0, but don't be surprised with boot-loop or bugs.

What I personally did is flash 12.0.4.0 by xiaomi.eu, then boot into system, then go into twrp and flash ArrowOS.

I'm not sure if you can flash the 12.0.4.0 rom then, without booting into MIUI system, and immediately flash ArrowOS over in the recovery.

You can try and find out.
Many things are just try and error.

Reactions: ianseer

bla.tiga

Aug 17, 2015
jakarta
Idk, but you should try it out and see. My guide is only meant to illustrate the process I went through to flash ArrowOS, not any alternative methods that divert from my instructions.
Do wee need enable usb debuging in unlocking bootloader process, i see your tutorial dont mention it, it enable when flashing the rom only?

And can we use "fastboot oem unlock" command instead using mi flash unlock tool and wait 168h??

urbanman2004

Sep 16, 2013
Rock Town
Do wee need enable usb debuging in unlocking bootloader process, i see your tutorial dont mention it, it enable when flashing the rom only?

And can we use "fastboot oem unlock" command instead using mi flash unlock tool and wait 168h??
My guide is simple and straightforward which was based on my experience so again, there is no need to divert from my instructions. Multiple members in this thread can attest so if you have any other methodology in mind then again, you should try it out and see. I do not endorse any steps outside of the instruction I have already laid out.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    great tutorial !
    I have a question can we remove the sim card while waiting for 168 hours of unlocking or do we absolutely have to leave it inside?
    Can we leave the phone off? (I have another one while waiting for the bootloader to unlock)

Thank you for your answers.
    Jeffrey

You can find your answers here:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/4288121/
    Hello,

Kudos on a well written guide, first and foremost. My question is regarding the OS; does it not have a built-in capability for dual screen as the original OS did? I've tried searching within screen preferences, and it doesn't appear to show up there. Although the task manager is nice, the original OS came with the option within it to enable the ability to have two apps open on the screen. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/4295685/post-85227271
    Arrow-v11.0-vayu-OFFICIAL-20210709-GAPPS.zip with Magisk 23 work ok for me.
    @ urbanman2004

Many thanks for your excellent guide. Now my phone is on ArrowOS and it is rootet.

Have a nice day

Ponder
    If you've recently purchased a Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro, but were on the fence about using it until an AOSP ROM became available then you're in luck. Kudos to @kubersharma for his contribution by providing us the first official AOSP release, ArrowOS v11.0 [vayu].
    Now, throughout this guide, I have linked the page or post based on information I gathered to put this guide together in order to credit that person instead of having to name drop them individually. These are fully detailed instructions to make it easier for newbs.
    I've spent the better part of my day figuring all of this stuff out so hopefully you won't go through the trouble I did. PLEASE DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. REPLY TO THIS GUIDE BELOW, THANKS. NOW LET'S BEGIN!!!

UNLOCK BOOTLOADER
    1. Unlock the bootloader with Xiaomi Unlocker tool.
    a. Be aware this process will factory reset the device before proceeding.
    b. Download the Mi Unlock app onto your PC. Extract the contents within the zip file into an empty folder then run the app.
    c. Register for Xiaomi account and sign in with your Mi Account.
    d. Your Mi Account must be added to your Mi Settings
    • Sign into your Mi Account on the device.
    • Go to Settings –> About Phone –> tap on MIUI version (For POCO) until it says Developer options is enabled.
    • Back out of About Phone, Additional Settings –> Developer options –> Mi Unlock status.
    • Agree, then "Add account and device".
    e. Shut down your phone manually, and hold Vol down + Power button to enter Fastboot mode.
    • Download and install the latest Xiaomi USB Drivers or here (or Google's latest USB drivers for Windows if all else fails) for your PC.
    • Connect the device to the computer via USB cable, and confirm that your phone shows up recognized as "Android Bootloader Interface" (in Device Manager), and click "Unlock" in the Unlock app.
    • NOTE: If Windows does not recognize the device due to it automatically installing the wrong "Kedacom Device Driver" then you will have to manually install the drivers for "Android ADB Interface/Android Bootloader Interface".
    f. After your first initial unlock attempt, you MUST wait 168 hours before unlock process can fully complete.
    • Wiping the device or removing the Mi account from the device could result in the timer being reset.
    g. After the waiting period expires, click "Unlock" in the Unlock app. You will notice the phone will restart followed by subsequent different screens during the phone's boot sequence including the "POCO" screen which now displays an "open lock icon" at the top, indicating your bootloader unlock attempt and will eventually end up on a "This device is locked" screen where you have to confirm you are the device owner by entering your Mi Account password to "activate this device"; connect to your WiFi prior to doing so if the device lacks an active sim card.

FLASH CUSTOM RECOVERY, DECRYPTION DISABLER, & ROM THEN ROOT
    2. Download the Official ArrowOS v11.0-vayu fastboot ROM for POCO X3 Pro [direct link here].
    a. NOTE: ArrowOS requires MIUI V12.0.4.0 firmware so it recommended to downgrade to this version before flashing ArrowOS otherwise the ROM may not boot.
    b. Choose the GApps build type which "includes Play services and now some AOSP apps have been replaced with GApps... All GApps packages and other[sic] files [were] extracted from original firmware images for Pixel4XL (coral)."
    3. [OPTIONAL] Download the latest version of Encryption Disabler then copy it along with the fastboot ROM into a folder named 'TWRP' on the root of your microSD.
    4. Ensure USB Debugging is already enabled on your device (in Settings –> Additional Settings –> Developer options).
    5. Remove any screen unlock (i.e., fingerprint, PIN, pattern or password) in MIUI.
    6. Power off device and put it in Fastboot mode (Vol down + Power button).
    7. Download the latest SDK Platform Tools from Google for adb compatibility and create a folder called "adb" in the root of the "C:\" drive.
    a. Extract the files adb, AdbWinApi.dll, AdbWinUsbApi.dll, and fastboot into the folder.
    b. Ensure the latest USB drivers are installed for your PC, connect the device to the computer via USB cable, and confirm that your phone shows up recognized as "Android Bootloader Interface".
    c. Launch "Command Prompt" on your PC and run the command:
    cd C:/adb
    • To show a list of devices (including your phone) connected to your PC, enter the command:
    fastboot devices
    8. Download the unofficial Pbrb (test3) recovery file (PitchBlack Recovery Project 3.1.0 unofficial) by Alex Besida and copy it into the ADB install folder and rename it to "recovery.img".
    9. Flash custom recovery file in CMD, run commands:
    fastboot flash recovery "recovery.img"
    fastboot boot recovery.img
    10. Your device should automatically boot into custom recovery. At this point, the microSD will become accessible from recovery or the PC, but the device's internal storage will not be which makes using a microSD card much more imperative for this process since the recovery is in early access development.
    a. Go to Wipe –> Format Data, type "yes" to perform data wipe; Back out to the main menu.
    b. Go to Install –> Navigate to the TWRP folder on the microSD (via "external_sd").
    • Select "Arrow-v11.0-vayu-OFFICIAL-20210424-GAPPS.zip" and flash the ROM, but do not change any of the checkboxes that show up before doing so.
    • Format data (not wipe) before rebooting into the new ROM.
    • NOTE: At most it takes around 1 minute to boot back up.
    11. [OPTIONAL] Power off the device and boot back into recovery.
    a. Go to Install –> Navigate to the TWRP folder on the microSD.
    • Select " Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_11.02.2020.zip" and flash it, but do not change any of the checkboxes that show up before doing so.
    • NOTE: This will disable forced encryption of data partition for better performance and internal SD + Data mounting in TWRP. It's not needed for the ROM to work, but due to disabling encryption it compromises security.
    • Reboot into the new ROM.
    12. After going through the phone's boot sequence, you'll be presented with the initial phone setup process onscreen where you can begin recovering your data.
    13. Go to Settings –> About phone –>tap on Build number until it says Developer options is enabled.
    a. Back out to Settings –> System –> to access Developer options –> Enable USB Debugging.
    14. Installing Magisk via custom recovery will fail in the background, resulting in an unresponsive "POCO" screen which is caused by installer scripts not being able to properly detect the correct device info or the recovery environment does not meet its expectation. In this case, you will need to use the Patch Image method as it is guaranteed to work 100% of the time. Installing Magisk through custom recoveries on modern devices is no longer recommended due to this reason.
    a. Pull down the Notification Bar from the top of the screen and change "Charging this device via USB" to "File Transfer".
    b. Open " Arrow-v11.0-vayu-OFFICIAL-20210424-GAPPS.zip " and copy "boot.img" to the phone's internal storage.
    c. Download the latest version of Magisk (Magisk v22.1) and copy it to the phone's internal storage and use the native "Files" app to install the apk.
    • NOTE: Magisk binaries (ZIP) are now included within Magisk Manager APK file. Now you don’t have to download it separately. You can install the .apk file or rename its extension to .zip then flash it through custom recovery / TWRP.
    d. Launch Magisk from the app drawer and go to "Install" under Magisk –> "Select and Patch a File," select the "boot.img" you copied internally –> "LET'S GO".
    e. Copy the generated patched file to the ADB folder and flash it via fastboot by running the following commands:
    cd C:/adb
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    f. Reboot into the new ROM and voila!
    fastboot reboot
    g. Use an app such as Root Checker or BusyBox Checker (from the Play Store) to confirm root status.
    h. To bypass/restore SafetyNet validation, open the Magisk app, go to Settings (cogwheel icon) and enable MagiskHide.
    I have asked this question elsewhere but maybe somebody here has some experience. Is it possible to install ArrowOS OTA with another TWRP than from ArrowOS ?

I'm asking because this AOS TWRP is very limited in functionality.
    So I have some breaking news:
    I can confirm that the latest unofficial alpha version of TWRP (TWRP-3.5.1-vayu-Nebrassy-1) is capable of decrypting and reading internal storage. Due to this advancement, I can also confirm that ArrowOS OTA updates will officially work using TWRP. There is NO NEED TO USE ANY OTHER CUSTOM RECOVERY BESIDES TWRP.
    thanks for the informative answer. i really appreciate it.
    1. yes i saw that in the update, it seems the telegram is much up -to date than the forum.
    2. just wondering, why magisk getting broken in an update doesn't make the update get "faulty" status and not being released? it's like in my opinion it's one of the most important issues for custom ROMs.

Magisk is not a must. Imagine if ALL your need from Magisk is achieved in a single custom Rom, what's the need of Magisk?

And do you know Magisk author got hired by Google? Magisk itself may be still continued, but Magiskhide or Safteynet bypass likely will not due to obvious security reasons.
    Hi, when you say to downgrade, do you mean to flash the entire Miui version or just the firmware as a zip file in twrp?
    Entire MIUI. Flashing vendor and firmware packages would be sufficient, but I'm not aware of any place you can get vendor packages for this device.