[GUIDE] Unlock/Root Lenovo Smart Tab P10 (TB-X705F) by Chaser42

Atenaa

Oct 10, 2010
Hi Atenaa, I am just updating as we speak but is going to take a lot due my internet failing, also have the YT-X705F, if you already have a patched boot.img from the file YT-X705F_S001119_201211_ROW.zip could you please share it with me? Thank you.
Hi @ngh55
I've done nothing...just yet...I'm rookie at rooting and I must do it very carefully so I don't brick my tablet. :rolleyes:

The zip file you left here is the new 10 boot.img?

I have rooted mine on Pie and will be attempting shortly to root with 10 update. Take a look at my previous posts. It's not too hard. Once you have the new 10 boot.img you patch it with Magisk and then flash it with ADB. And voila you have root!
AND make sure you follow the instructions at the beginning of this thread to unlock your bootloader. Don't bother flashing TWRP as there is not a version for the YT-X705 and the one in this thread won't flash to your device.
Hi @conbak49

Where can I find the new 10 boot.img?

when you've done it, could you leave a feedback here, please?

Last edited:

conbak49

May 7, 2012
Hi @ngh55
I've done nothing...just yet...I'm rookie at rooting and I must do it very carefully so I don't brick my tablet. :rolleyes:

Hi @conbak49

You have to patch the boot.img from the 10 firmware zip posted above yourself in Magisk. Once I do this for my tab I'll post the patched img if I can figure out how.

Reactions: Atenaa

Atenaa

Oct 10, 2010
make sure you follow the instructions at the beginning of this thread to unlock your bootloader.
I'm not managing to enter fastboot mode on the tablet. Tried volume up and power button and appeared the letters "FFBM Mode" when I touch the screen. Is that it?

Then, in that screen, I connect the tablet to the PC with the fastboot tool installed. When I use the command "adb devices", appears the tablet serial number but "unauthorized".

But when I had the tablet turned on and I used the command "adb devices", in front of the the serial number appeared "device". So the problem happens when I turn the tablet off.

It's not my first time trying to unlock bootloader...but this time I'm mot managing...😞
Can you help me, please? 🥺
Thanks in advance.;)

conbak49

May 7, 2012
I'm not managing to enter fastboot mode on the tablet. Tried volume up and power button and appeared the letters "FFBM Mode" when I touch the screen. Is that it?

Then, in that screen, I connect the tablet to the PC with the fastboot tool installed. When I use the command "adb devices", appears the tablet serial number but "unauthorized".

But when I had the tablet turned on and I used the command "adb devices", in front of the the serial number appeared "device". So the problem happens when I turn the tablet off.

It's not my first time trying to unlock bootloader...but this time I'm mot managing...😞
Can you help me, please? 🥺
Thanks in advance.;)
It's volume DOWN + power for fastboot 🙂 For some reason the patched boot image I used won't attach - it only loads to about 50%

Last edited:

ngh55

Dec 8, 2007
Hi there, I have rooted successfully.
Make sure to enable unlock bootloader option inside the developer menu, gave me a small headache until I figured out.

Last edited:

THardi

Jan 17, 2021
Hi
I have now read through the whole subject. My problem with the Tab M10 TB-X605L (Hardware 62, Software TB_X605L_S210224_200910_ROW) is that I cannot get the bootloader unlocked. I wanted to have TWRP on it and not just root with Magisk. I got the ROM from Lenovo through the LMSA.
OEM-Entsperrung.jpg

Daddy#30

Dec 20, 2020
I'm wondering if anyone is working on a custom recovery or ROMs for the YT-X705F. I wish I had the skillz...
Just for future reference, it is possible to have a custom rom on the YT-x705F without TWRP. I am currently running HavocOS 3.12 and it works beautifully

It can be a little confusing to install and you will have to wipe internal data.

You will also need the latest havoc os https://sourceforge.net/projects/havoc-os/files/arm64-ab/

Steps i took to get it working....

Get a copy of the latest firmware using the lenovo "Rescue and Smart Assistant".

Copy the firmware to a new folder and replace the stock "boot.img" with the magisk patched "boot.img"

Create a .zip file of all the firmware files. I named it "update.zip"

Reboot the YT-x705f into fastboot mode and connect it to your pc.

Open the command prompt where you have fastboot.exe

Run fastboot flash update.zip

As soon as the tablet restarts, hold the power button and boot into fastboot mode again.

Extract the havocos img and run "fastboot flash system havocos.img" where havosos.img is the image you extracted.

Restart the tablet and wait for it to bootloop 1 or 2 times, itll ask to wipe internal data. select yes and HavosOS starts.

Of course i am a bit new at this so hopefully i didnt miss a step.

NOTE: Install magisk and magiskhide props config module and set your device fingerprint to a known certified one using options 1 > f. Otherwise you will not pass safety net.
Also this is a great tablet to have android auto running.

Sauce:

Last edited:

conbak49

May 7, 2012
Just for future reference, it is possible to have a custom rom on the YT-x705F without TWRP. I am currently running HavocOS 3.12 and it works beautifully

It can be a little confusing to install and you will have to wipe internal data.

You will also need the latest havoc os https://sourceforge.net/projects/havoc-os/files/arm64-ab/

Steps i took to get it working....

Get a copy of the latest firmware using the lenovo "Rescue and Smart Assistant".

Copy the firmware to a new folder and replace the stock "boot.img" with the magisk patched "boot.img"

Create a .zip file of all the firmware files. I named it "update.zip"

Reboot the YT-x705f into fastboot mode and connect it to your pc.

Open the command prompt where you have fastboot.exe

Run fastboot flash update.zip

As soon as the tablet restarts, hold the power button and boot into fastboot mode again.

Extract the havocos img and run "fastboot flash system havocos.img" where havosos.img is the image you extracted.

Restart the tablet and wait for it to bootloop 1 or 2 times, itll ask to wipe internal data. select yes and HavosOS starts.

Of course i am a bit new at this so hopefully i didnt miss a step.

NOTE: Install magisk and magiskhide props config module and set your device fingerprint to a known certified one using options 1 > f. Otherwise you will not pass safety net.
Also this is a great tablet to have android auto running.
Wow! That's amazing! It does sound complicated but sort of makes sense. I'll have to work up the gumption to tackle that. I'm actually liking stock pretty well and with Edxposed it's pretty customizable.

Daddy#30

Dec 20, 2020
What sold me on trying this method is that its easy to install play store apps that have an artificial limitation of being incompatible set to them when running stock. I tried installing some apks directly but the apps would just crash at start up.... looking at you android auto. Nowthey just work straight from the store, im sure i would run into this issue with other apps later on.

Atenaa

Oct 10, 2010
Yup. That's fastboot. On Pie it used to say "Fastboot" on the screen, but now it's just the penguin. Not sure why it changed, but that's what I saw too and ADB recognized it as fastboot.
I'm sorry for bothering you again :oops:

When I'm on fastboot and I enter the "ADB devices" comand, the ADB doesn´t recognize the tablet. Only appears "list of devices attached" and nothing more. Unlike when I have the tablet on and with that command appears the tablet serial number. And of course, the "fastboot oem unlock-go" command doesn't do anything.

I thought this part was the simpler one...

conbak49

May 7, 2012

When I'm on fastboot and I enter the "ADB devices" comand, the ADB doesn´t recognize the tablet. Only appears "list of devices attached" and nothing more. Unlike when I have the tablet on and with that command appears the tablet serial number. And of course, the "fastboot oem unlock-go" command doesn't do anything.

Hmmmm... I may not be much use at this point. I unlocked the bootloader while on Pie and it worked just fine. It also worked fine to flash the patched boot.img when I upgraded to 10. I wonder if something about upgrading to 10 before unlocking the bootloader may have blocked your ability to unlock. Hopefully someone else will come along who's more of an expert on this stuff.

EDIT: check to make sure you have a good usb cable connection and make sure you have "USB debugging" checked in Developer Options. That can trip you up.

Last edited:

tehSmoogs

Jul 13, 2012
Essex

When you’re in fastboot the ADB command will not work.

You need to use “fastboot devices“, which should list your tab.

Atenaa

Oct 10, 2010

Thank you for your help but when I'm in fastboot and I use the "fastboot devices" command, it doesn't list my tablet. Only appears "list of devices attached" and nothing more.

Last edited:

conbak49

May 7, 2012
Hi @ngh55

Hi @conbak49

Sorry I missed this earlier. I've tried to post the patched boot.img but for some reason the upload won't complete. You can patch the boot.img yourself. Open the zip of the stock firmware (linked elsewhere) and extract the boot.img file. On the tablet open Magisk and choose to install the Magisk framework. Select Recovery mode and click Next on the next screen choose Select and Patch file. Navigate to the extracted boot.img. When it's patched, find it on the tablet and move it to your computer and using ADB flash it back to the tablet.

Atenaa

Oct 10, 2010
Sorry I missed this earlier. I've tried to post the patched boot.img but for some reason the upload won't complete. You can patch the boot.img yourself. Open the zip of the stock firmware (linked elsewhere) and extract the boot.img file. On the tablet open Magisk and choose to install the Magisk framework. Select Recovery mode and click Next on the next screen choose Select and Patch file. Navigate to the extracted boot.img. When it's patched, find it on the tablet and move it to your computer and using ADB flash it back to the tablet.
Thank so much for your help. I'd love to do that but I still can't unlock the bootloader.:(:(

Atenaa

Oct 10, 2010
Did you do this step: "You need to make sure you have developer settings turned on so that you can enable the "OEM unlocking"?
Yes I did. The developer settings was already turned on. Its almost the first thing I do when I have a new tablet/phone.

I enabled the OEM onlocking and USB debug. Installed ADB and when using the command "ADB devices" the tablet serial number apears. Then I turn off the tablet and press volume down + power to enter fastboot (penguin image). Then I connect the tablet to PC using USB and enter the command "fastboot devices". But this time nothing apears. The serial number doesn't appear. And when I enter the command " "fastboot oem unlock-go" it doesn't do anything. :(:(

Last edited:

Atenaa

Oct 10, 2010

This command doesn't list my tablet. :( Only when the tablet is on (out of the fastboot) and I use the "ADB devices" command, the tablet serial number appears.