• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE] Unlock the bootloader on the Realme X3 SuperZoom

Search This thread

Zacharee1

Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
Realme devices are nice because bootloader unlocks are officially allowed by the company. Unfortunately, they usually also have to be explicitly released, in the form of a DeepTesting/In-Depth Test app from OPPO/Realme. You usually can't take the DeepTesting APK from another device and install it, and if you do, Realme still has to whitelist the device model on the server backend. It turns out that at least the X3 SuperZoom is actually whitelisted for bootloader unlocking by Realme. Now all we need is a DeepTesting APK that'll install, which we do. The Realme 6 Pro's version installs just fine on the X3 SuperZoom.

Since this isn't official yet, I figured I'd share a "guide" (my process) for unlocking the bootloader on the Realme X3 SuperZoom (it should also work on the normal X3, but I don't have one to confirm). Let's get started.

NOTE: I think this goes without saying, but unlocking the bootloader WILL wipe your data, and it WILL void any warranty you may have. While you can relock the bootloader, you shouldn't do this in the first place if you aren't sure.

1. First up, enable Developer Options. Go to Settings >> About Phone >> Baseband & Kernel and tap the Build Number field 7 times.
  2. Next, go to Settings >> Additional Settings >> Developer Options and enable OEM Unlocking.
  3. Now, download the Realme 6 Pro DeepTesting APK (in the attachments here).
  4. Open it up (launcher shortcut is called In-Depth Test) and start the application process. Agree to the disclaimers and whatnot, and send in the application. (NOTE: If you get an error about your device being carrier-customized, you can work around this. I'll write up another guide for that later.)
  5. After a few minutes, check your application status (the tiny green link at the top right of the home page of the app). It should say "Approved" with another tiny green link to "Start In-Depth Test."
  6. Tapping that link will cause your phone to reboot into fastboot mode. If you don't have fastboot installed on your computer, follow these instructions.
  7. Plug your phone into your computer and execute "fastboot flashing unlock". (NOTE: I had to unplug and replug my phone for every command. Otherwise, fastboot would sit there with "< waiting for any device >".)
  8. Your phone should now show a bootloader unlock prompt. Use the volume buttons to choose the option to continue with the unlock, and use the power button to confirm.
  9. The phone will wipe all data and restart into the setup wizard.

That's it! If you want to root with Magisk, follow this guide: https://forum.xda-developers.com/x3-superzoom/how-to/guide-root-realme-x3-superzoom-magisk-t4136333.

Last edited:

mmar

Mar 6, 2007
How long point 5 "After a few minutes, check your application status (the tiny green link at the top right of the home page of the app). It should say "Approved" with another tiny green link to "Start In-Depth Test."
should take, is more than one hour that stay on status "application submitted"

Zacharee1

Anyone tried GSI images after unlocking bootloader?

I wouldn't recommend it. My unit is hardware defective and I'm returning it to Realme soon anyway, so I tried an LOS 17.1 GSI. So far, I've only managed to get it stuck at the bootloader splash screen. It just doesn't get past that state. And it's a pain to restore to a functional system. I had to use a leaked OFP and the fastboot that comes with the Realme Flash Tool to reflash the super.img. Stock fastboot breaks things further when flashing it. I have one more combination of weirdness to try, but it doesn't seem like GSIs really work.

I'm not a ROM or bootloader expert, so it's possible I'm just doing something wrong, but if I am, it's certainly not easy to flash a GSI right now. I think the best thing to do is wait for the official bootloader unlock and kernel source, and then someone should be able to build TWRP.

phonedroid

Jul 4, 2011
Trivandrum
Just bumping this thread - any recoveries available for X3 Super Zoom yet?
Though root is possible now, I am waiting for a bit more easy process of flashing through a recovery.

phonedroid

Jul 4, 2011
Trivandrum
PBRP RECOVERY IS Available on Telegram Channel
When I checked the PBRP website, there are recoveries available only for Realme X, X2, XT etc, but not for X3 Super Zoom. Can you please give the details about the telegram channel?
EDIT: I got the Telegram channel info from their website. Thanks. (Still to check for X3 SS recovery availability)

Last edited:

SolankiDS064

Jul 21, 2017
When I checked the PBRP website, there are recoveries available only for Realme X, X2, XT etc, but not for X3 Super Zoom. Can you please give the details about the telegram channel?
EDIT: I got the Telegram channel info from their website. Thanks. (Still to check for X3 SS recovery availability)
https://t.me/RealmeX3Updates join this Group
And Development has been Stopped for Realme X3& SuperZoom because of Developers have No Realme X3 Device

---------- Post added at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 AM ----------

https://t.me/RealmeX3Updates

LEvvvEL

Dec 28, 2016
Is there any information after unlocking the bootloader, that it is unlocked when the phone boots up?
For example, in Nexus 7/4 there is an unlocked padlock icon after each reset.

M1ch0k0

Oct 13, 2016
Poznań
After running a dedicated unlock "in-depth test" app, phone reboots, enters fastboot mode for a second (screen with fastboot and some chinese chars), then reboots to system. When my phone is plugged to PC I try to type "fastboot devices" in platform tools and my phone is not visible there, however it is visible when I type "adb devices" I can not boot into fastboot mode manually either - after pressing VOL UP + POWER for a few seconds, it boots up to fastboot and then immediately restarts to system. How can I possibly unlock the bootloader?

I'm gonna note that the same thing happens when I try to execute "adb reboot bootloader" - boot to fastboot mode for few seconds, then restart to system immediately
Any idea what to do?

Zacharee1

After running a dedicated unlock "in-depth test" app, phone reboots, enters fastboot mode for a second (screen with fastboot and some chinese chars), then reboots to system. When my phone is plugged to PC I try to type "fastboot devices" in platform tools and my phone is not visible there, however it is visible when I type "adb devices" I can not boot into fastboot mode manually either - after pressing VOL UP + POWER for a few seconds, it boots up to fastboot and then immediately restarts to system. How can I possibly unlock the bootloader?

I'm gonna note that the same thing happens when I try to execute "adb reboot bootloader" - boot to fastboot mode for few seconds, then restart to system immediately
Any idea what to do?
Are you sure the unlock application succeeded? This means bootloader unlocking isn't allowed.

M1ch0k0

Oct 13, 2016
Poznań
Not quite sure it succeeded, I was able to start in-depth test, phone rebooted to fastboot mode (white fastboot logo with chinese chars) for a second and immediately went to system after, I don't know if it was a proper behaviour.

Zacharee1

Not quite sure it succeeded, I was able to start in-depth test, phone rebooted to fastboot mode (white fastboot logo with chinese chars) for a second and immediately went to system after, I don't know if it was a proper behaviour.
Did you enable the OEM Unlocking switch in Developer Options?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Realme devices are nice because bootloader unlocks are officially allowed by the company. Unfortunately, they usually also have to be explicitly released, in the form of a DeepTesting/In-Depth Test app from OPPO/Realme. You usually can't take the DeepTesting APK from another device and install it, and if you do, Realme still has to whitelist the device model on the server backend. It turns out that at least the X3 SuperZoom is actually whitelisted for bootloader unlocking by Realme. Now all we need is a DeepTesting APK that'll install, which we do. The Realme 6 Pro's version installs just fine on the X3 SuperZoom.

Since this isn't official yet, I figured I'd share a "guide" (my process) for unlocking the bootloader on the Realme X3 SuperZoom (it should also work on the normal X3, but I don't have one to confirm). Let's get started.

NOTE: I think this goes without saying, but unlocking the bootloader WILL wipe your data, and it WILL void any warranty you may have. While you can relock the bootloader, you shouldn't do this in the first place if you aren't sure.

1. First up, enable Developer Options. Go to Settings >> About Phone >> Baseband & Kernel and tap the Build Number field 7 times.
    2. Next, go to Settings >> Additional Settings >> Developer Options and enable OEM Unlocking.
    3. Now, download the Realme 6 Pro DeepTesting APK (in the attachments here).
    4. Open it up (launcher shortcut is called In-Depth Test) and start the application process. Agree to the disclaimers and whatnot, and send in the application. (NOTE: If you get an error about your device being carrier-customized, you can work around this. I'll write up another guide for that later.)
    5. After a few minutes, check your application status (the tiny green link at the top right of the home page of the app). It should say "Approved" with another tiny green link to "Start In-Depth Test."
    6. Tapping that link will cause your phone to reboot into fastboot mode. If you don't have fastboot installed on your computer, follow these instructions.
    7. Plug your phone into your computer and execute "fastboot flashing unlock". (NOTE: I had to unplug and replug my phone for every command. Otherwise, fastboot would sit there with "< waiting for any device >".)
    8. Your phone should now show a bootloader unlock prompt. Use the volume buttons to choose the option to continue with the unlock, and use the power button to confirm.
    9. The phone will wipe all data and restart into the setup wizard.

That's it! If you want to root with Magisk, follow this guide: https://forum.xda-developers.com/x3-superzoom/how-to/guide-root-realme-x3-superzoom-magisk-t4136333.