• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE] unlock your G7 bootloader

Search This thread

mingkee

Now Motorola supported has updated to support G7. You should be able to unlock open market model.
Prerequisites:
1. ADB installed
2. Motorola drivers installed
3. Your phone has enabled OEM unlock (hit build number few times to enable developers options) and USB debugging
4. Backup your internal storage. ALL PERSONAL DATA ON INTERNAL STORAGE WILL BE WIPED DURING OEM UNLOCK PROCESS!
----------------
Process:
1. Enter bootloader. After your phone connected to host computer, use the following:
Code:
adb devices
After your phone has been shown up, use the following command to enter bootloader
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
2. Retrieve your phone unlock data and submit
Go to https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a
Retrieve your phone unlock data using the following and open notepad or any text editor
Code:
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
You should see 5 lines of data starting (bootloader). Right click and mark the data on the line 2-5, drag until all data highlighted and right click once.
Paste the 4 line data on your favorite text editor and locate the cursor to the end of the line and press delete once, and repeat until 4 lines of data become a single line, and press Ctrl+a (select all) followed by Ctrl+c (copy)
Paste the single line to the box under #6 and verify. Accept the terms and press the blue button
3. Unlock your bootloader
After the unlock code delivered, highlight and copy 20 characters code
Enter the following command and press space once and paste the code
Code:
fastboot oem unlock
It should be fastboot oem unlock XXXXX (20 characters code)
You have to enter same command again to finish the process.
Your phone bootloader now unlocked and it's ready to install root

maybeme2

Aug 28, 2015
Google Pixel 5
adb backup -all
will back up your phone to a cable connected laptop. Is there anything else one needs to back up before unlocking the bootloader wipes your data off the phone?

**Specifically, will it backup
1. Documents folder
2. Download folder
3. Other custom created folders like saved photographs, etc.

Thank you.

Last edited:

maybeme2

Aug 28, 2015
Google Pixel 5
Now that TWRP is finally available I'm picking up my courage to unlock and root my Moto G7. Thank you for all your instructions here and in the root thread.

Because I'm not an android expert and am scared I want to be sure I understand everything correctly.

1. ADB is installed and works. (I used adb to create an adb backup to my laptop).

2. Not sure what you mean by installing Motorola drivers. (I can see the Moto G7 when I connect it by cable to my W 10 laptop).

4. Backing up:
I used a cable connection to copy all the visible files to my laptop using Windows file explorer. I also have the adb backup mentioned above.

Final question:
What will need to be restored after unlocking the bootloader? Everything I backed up or only parts?

Thank you.

AZGeek

Aug 30, 2008
Chandler
Google Pixel 5a
I would appreciate someone helping to answer @maybeme2 questions above in post #9. Specifically question 2 about drivers. I've downloaded the Lenovo MOTO Smart Assistant and can ADB connect to my device. However when I set the device to fastboot mode then the connection is dropped.

maybeme2

Aug 28, 2015
Google Pixel 5
5 seconds delay on boot after unlocking bootloader

I unlocked my bootloader using the excellent instructions above. But now, everytime I reboot I get a screen that says
Your device has been unlocked and can't be trusted.....
ID (is blank)
your device will boot in 5 seconds.
bad key

How do I get rid of that?
Thanks.

ptn107

Feb 10, 2012
I unlocked my bootloader using the excellent instructions above. But now, everytime I reboot I get a screen that says

How do I get rid of that?
Thanks.

That's part of unlocking and that warning is there for a reason. That said you can either relock or find another logo.bin to flash that covers it up. Flashing another logo.bin does not make your phone secure again it's just cosmetic.

maybeme2

Aug 28, 2015
Google Pixel 5
That's part of unlocking and that warning is there for a reason. That said you can either relock or find another logo.bin to flash that covers it up. Flashing another logo.bin does not make your phone secure again it's just cosmetic.
Thank you for replying.
My next step is to root the phone. Will that get rid of it?
If not, where do I get another compatible logo.bin?
Thank you again.

cou94114

May 11, 2014
San Francisco
Reactions: maybeme2

cou94114

May 11, 2014
San Francisco
Thank you.
Does removing "orange" also remove the 5 second delay?

I never said that I removed the image named "orange". I did extract the "orange" image from logo.bin, edited the orange.png to black out the warning text, replaced the orange.png file in logo.bin and then flashed the modified logo.bin "fastboot flash logo modified-logo.bin".

I concur with ptn107's recommendation that you lock your bootloader and return your device to stock. That way you won't have to wait the five seconds which seems to be your concern.

Last edited:
Reactions: maybeme2

maybeme2

Aug 28, 2015
Google Pixel 5
I concur with ptn107's recommendation that you lock your bootloader and return your device to stock. That way you won't have to wait the five seconds which seems to be your concern.
Yes it is the imposed delay that I objects to. I've had other rooted phones and none had this warning and delay after unlocking the bootloader. So it is not part of android but something added by Moto.

It's not a big deal, but an unnecessary annoyance which is why I asked in a moto thread.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Now Motorola supported has updated to support G7. You should be able to unlock open market model.
    Prerequisites:
    1. ADB installed
    2. Motorola drivers installed
    3. Your phone has enabled OEM unlock (hit build number few times to enable developers options) and USB debugging
    4. Backup your internal storage. ALL PERSONAL DATA ON INTERNAL STORAGE WILL BE WIPED DURING OEM UNLOCK PROCESS!
    ----------------
    Process:
    1. Enter bootloader. After your phone connected to host computer, use the following:
    Code:
    adb devices
    After your phone has been shown up, use the following command to enter bootloader
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    2. Retrieve your phone unlock data and submit
    Go to https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a
    Retrieve your phone unlock data using the following and open notepad or any text editor
    Code:
    fastboot oem get_unlock_data
    You should see 5 lines of data starting (bootloader). Right click and mark the data on the line 2-5, drag until all data highlighted and right click once.
    Paste the 4 line data on your favorite text editor and locate the cursor to the end of the line and press delete once, and repeat until 4 lines of data become a single line, and press Ctrl+a (select all) followed by Ctrl+c (copy)
    Paste the single line to the box under #6 and verify. Accept the terms and press the blue button
    3. Unlock your bootloader
    After the unlock code delivered, highlight and copy 20 characters code
    Enter the following command and press space once and paste the code
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    It should be fastboot oem unlock XXXXX (20 characters code)
    You have to enter same command again to finish the process.
    Your phone bootloader now unlocked and it's ready to install root
    For anyone looking at this thread and wondering, yes, Amazon branded device's bootloaders can be unlocked.
    is there a way to relock once unlocked?

Yes. fastboot oem lock but doing so will wipe the device back to factory settings.
    Could someone with an unlocked bootloader test out how well the Android Q GSI works?

Until a custom recovery is created, we're stuck on stock
    Thank you for replying.
    My next step is to root the phone. Will that get rid of it?
    If not, where do I get another compatible logo.bin?
    Thank you again.

It will not remove the warning. In fact rooting is even less secure fyi.

You'll have to search on xda for a modified logo.bin.