[GUIDE] unlock your G7 bootloader

Search This thread

MrHallows

Jul 24, 2019
Phoenix
Okay, so I've followed these instructions exactly, but upon completing Step 6 on Motorola's page to get the bootloader unlock code, I get a dialog with the message, "Your device does not qualify for bootloader unlocking." Albeit, the setting in Developer Options to "Allow bootloader unlocking" is toggled on. I have the Moto G7 Power (XT1955-6) and it is an unlocked version (not carrier branded), purchased from Amazon.

Has anyone had luck with unlocking this model (XT1955-6)? Any suggestions/feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

WoKoschekk

• Feb 25, 2019
    Cologne
    Moto G9 Plus
    Okay, so I've followed these instructions exactly, but upon completing Step 6 on Motorola's page to get the bootloader unlock code, I get a dialog with the message, "Your device does not qualify for bootloader unlocking." Albeit, the setting in Developer Options to "Allow bootloader unlocking" is toggled on. I have the Moto G7 Power (XT1955-6) and it is an unlocked version (not carrier branded), purchased from Amazon.

Has anyone had luck with unlocking this model (XT1955-6)? Any suggestions/feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you.

The XT1955-6 is a verizon phone. These ones can't get unlocked.

Reactions: sd_shadow

130rne

Jan 9, 2018
    The dev options unlock can be switched on, doesn't mean it's unlocked. That's for secure boot, if the switch is off and a different rom is flashed it won't boot. Gotta flash the same rom back and turn that switch on to flash a different rom. There were others with your problem, if it's an unlockable model it's possible but I don't know how they resolved it.

Edit- just read the above comment. I think the others just had unlock token issues. Certain models can't be unlocked except for hack type paid services.

Last edited:

guille2608

Jun 26, 2020
    (bootloader) invalid boot state

Hello I am new to the forum, try root moto g7 and I have a problem, "bootloader invalid boot state" that appears when I write "fastboot oem unlock" the cell phone does not start, try rescue and smart and does not recognize the device, I need help thanks
    I am using the google translator I am from Argentina

MrHallows

Jul 24, 2019
    Phoenix
    The XT1955-6 is a verizon phone. These ones can't get unlocked.

Yes, I'm aware of the restrictions that Verizon and AT&T place on their firmware. I ordered the unlocked version of this phone, but had received one with Verizon's firmware and unfortunately it's past the return policy expiration. Also, the phone is not physically branded for Verizon, it just has their firmware on it. So, there are two things that I've been looking into as potential solutions, but I'm not sure if either of them would possibly work:

1) Using RSD Lite (6.2.4) to flash XT1955-5 (RETUS) (https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/moto/ocean/official/RETUS/
    XT1955-5_OCEAN_RETUS_9.0_PPO29.114-108_cid50_subsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC.xml.zip) or perhaps a GSI image, if possible; or

2) Purchasing an OEM unlock code from TheUnlockingCompany.com (or similar service), but would this option actually release Verizon's grip on the bootloader since the firmware would not have changed?

Anyway, I appreciate any help or feedback, as I've not been able to actually get through the full rooting process yet.

Sent from my Moto G7 Power using XDA Labs

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
  • Sep 21, 2011
    South Dakota
    goo.gl
    Moto X4
    Moto G7 Power
    Yes, I'm aware of the restrictions that Verizon and AT&T place on their firmware. I ordered the unlocked version of this phone, but had received one with Verizon's firmware and unfortunately it's past the return policy expiration. Also, the phone is not physically branded for Verizon, it just has their firmware on it. So, there are two things that I've been looking into as potential solutions, but I'm not sure if either of them would possibly work:

1) Using RSD Lite (6.2.4) to flash XT1955-5 (RETUS) (https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/moto/ocean/official/RETUS/
    XT1955-5_OCEAN_RETUS_9.0_PPO29.114-108_cid50_subsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC.xml.zip) or perhaps a GSI image, if possible; or

2) Purchasing an OEM unlock code from TheUnlockingCompany.com (or similar service), but would this option actually release Verizon's grip on the bootloader since the firmware would not have changed?

Anyway, I appreciate any help or feedback, as I've not been able to actually get through the full rooting process yet.
    Flashing a different software channel will just result in a non working device, it's possible that a unlocking device may work, haven't heard anyone with success.

Sent from my ali using XDA Labs

Reactions: MrHallows

MrHallows

Jul 24, 2019
    Phoenix
    Flashing a different software channel will just result in a non working device, it's possible that a unlocking device may work, haven't heard anyone with success.

You are correct. I tried it last night and couldn't get past fastboot. Had to use Verizon's Software Upgrade/Repair Assistant to reinstall XT1955-6_OCEAN_VZW_9.0_PDOS29.114-134-15 on it. Well, once I've got the money to purchase the unlock code, I'll give that a whirl and provide an update here for anyone else dealing with this.

Thanks for your feedback, man.

bryangrant4

Jul 17, 2012
    Atlanta
    Blue Button to Request Unlock Code is not present

Regarding, "Paste the single line to the box under #6 and verify. Accept the terms and press the blue button"

On Chrome, Safari, and Opera, the page located here does not provide a way to complete the Unlock Code Request Process.

It says "Your device does not qualify for bootloader unlocking."
    and then the Blue Button never appears despite agreeing to the legal terms.

Is there another way to obtain the code? Why is this even necessary?! It's been a minute since I have tried to unlock a boot loader, so maybe times have changed.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
  • Sep 21, 2011
    South Dakota
    goo.gl
    Moto X4
    Moto G7 Power
    Regarding, "Paste the single line to the box under #6 and verify. Accept the terms and press the blue button"

On Chrome, Safari, and Opera, the page located here does not provide a way to complete the Unlock Code Request Process.

It says "Your device does not qualify for bootloader unlocking."
    and then the Blue Button never appears despite agreeing to the legal terms.

Is there another way to obtain the code? Why is this even necessary?! It's been a minute since I have tried to unlock a boot loader, so maybe times have changed.
    I've used Chrome several times with no issue.
    Not all devices can be unlocked.
    If it's carrier branded (Verizon, ATT...) Or on Amazon software channel it cannot be unlocked.
    There was a slightly different method that may still work see link to unlocking bootloader in my
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/general/rooting-roms/guide-flashing-motorola-firmware-t4042039

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

gabrielzamo

Apr 16, 2011
    You are correct. I tried it last night and couldn't get past fastboot. Had to use Verizon's Software Upgrade/Repair Assistant to reinstall XT1955-6_OCEAN_VZW_9.0_PDOS29.114-134-15 on it. Well, once I've got the money to purchase the unlock code, I'll give that a whirl and provide an update here for anyone else dealing with this.

Thanks for your feedback, man.

Hey. Just wondering if you managed to find a way to bootloader unlock.
    I got a Cricket device that Motorola says it is not qualified for unlocking.

ljer

Mar 28, 2014
    I'm not able to get into my G7 Power, I see the Motorola logo with "Powered by Android" at the bottom for ~5 seconds, then it turns off. Charges just fine, battery at 100%. Rescue and smart assistant is no help, it claims to be successful but I have the same issue. Same thing when I follow this thread. So, I decided I'd just put a new rom on the device as I don't know what else I can do.

I got an unlock code from motorola, but when I go to unlock it I get the "Check 'Allow OEM Unlock' in Android Settings > Developer Options" error. I can't do that, because the phone won't load.

What can I do about this? Is there another option I'm not considering?

I can get into fast boot / recovery mode no problem, but I'm guessing the bootloader is still locked. When I try to even boot to twrp I am denied:

C:\Users\ljer\Downloads\platform-tools>fastboot boot twrp-3.4.0-1-ocean.img
    Sending 'boot.img' (30202 KB) OKAY [ 0.904s]
    Booting (bootloader) permission denied!
    FAILED (remote: '')
    fastboot: error: Command failed

tmiller101

Nov 12, 2010
    Savannah
    I know a few of us are having problems with the Motorola bootloader unlock website. I can tell you this try, try, try. Eventually it will work, I don't know why.

I tried for about 3 hours the other night trying to unlock my XT-1955-2 with a CID of 0x0032. After reading through many posts on several websites I gave up. I started wondering if there was something wrong with my setup, i.e. computer, USB cable, internet connection, etc... So I attached my old phone for which the bootloader was already unlocked using the Motorola website in an attempt to troubleshoot my end. The Motorola website came back with the "blue button" and I received an email with the code immediately.

Curiosity took hold, I hooked up my new XT-1955-2 and again went through the same process that had failed me the other night. AND NOW, the "blue button" appeared, I accepted the risk, received the email and unlocked the phone. This whole evolution occurred within 10 minutes of waking up.

The only thing that was different this time around was I ran the command prompt as an administrator and it was a new day. So there you have it folks If you get an message saying your phone doesn't qualify to be unlocked. Try, try, try again.

Bud A.

Mar 7, 2021
    Brand new to flashing ROMs, lots of experience with OpenBSD and Linux on various computers. I have a Moto G7 Plus, XT1965-T, software channel retla. I have gotten to the portion of unlocking where I ask the device to return the unlock code with
    $ fastboot oem get_unlock_data
    and absolutely nothing happens. No text string is returned.

Also tried running the command using sudo. Still nothing.

I have checked to make sure the device is detected by fastboot. Also, I made sure to download the USB drivers from Motorola and checked to make sure I'm running the latest version of Android Studio.

I got this phone from Amazon, sold as unlocked, apparently an unbranded T-Mobile Revvlry according to others. I noticed that the Motorola unlock site says that "Bootloader unlock codes are not available from Moto or Amazon, for Amazon Prime devices." Am I SOL, or am I just doing something wrong?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Now Motorola supported has updated to support G7. You should be able to unlock open market model.
      Prerequisites:
      1. ADB installed
      2. Motorola drivers installed
      3. Your phone has enabled OEM unlock (hit build number few times to enable developers options) and USB debugging
      4. Backup your internal storage. ALL PERSONAL DATA ON INTERNAL STORAGE WILL BE WIPED DURING OEM UNLOCK PROCESS!
      ----------------
      Process:
      1. Enter bootloader. After your phone connected to host computer, use the following:
      Code:
      adb devices
      After your phone has been shown up, use the following command to enter bootloader
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
      2. Retrieve your phone unlock data and submit
      Go to https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a
      Retrieve your phone unlock data using the following and open notepad or any text editor
      Code:
      fastboot oem get_unlock_data
      You should see 5 lines of data starting (bootloader). Right click and mark the data on the line 2-5, drag until all data highlighted and right click once.
      Paste the 4 line data on your favorite text editor and locate the cursor to the end of the line and press delete once, and repeat until 4 lines of data become a single line, and press Ctrl+a (select all) followed by Ctrl+c (copy)
      Paste the single line to the box under #6 and verify. Accept the terms and press the blue button
      3. Unlock your bootloader
      After the unlock code delivered, highlight and copy 20 characters code
      Enter the following command and press space once and paste the code
      Code:
      fastboot oem unlock
      It should be fastboot oem unlock XXXXX (20 characters code)
      You have to enter same command again to finish the process.
      Your phone bootloader now unlocked and it's ready to install root
      For anyone looking at this thread and wondering, yes, Amazon branded device's bootloaders can be unlocked.
      is there a way to relock once unlocked?

Yes. fastboot oem lock but doing so will wipe the device back to factory settings.
      Could someone with an unlocked bootloader test out how well the Android Q GSI works?

Until a custom recovery is created, we're stuck on stock
      Thank you for replying.
      My next step is to root the phone. Will that get rid of it?
      If not, where do I get another compatible logo.bin?
      Thank you again.

It will not remove the warning. In fact rooting is even less secure fyi.

You'll have to search on xda for a modified logo.bin.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone