[GUIDE] Unlock your LG V40 via 9008 mode (Every Variant except T-Mobile)

Search This thread

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
I flashed the engineering bootloader, rebooted without OEM unlocking and got a red triangle. Auto reboot into the system afterwards and no red triangles going forward but even if I use qfil to reflash the engineering bootloader I can't seem to get anywhere near fastboot mode, either going into lgupdown, recovery or the system

I thought my abl would be corrupted or otherwise inaccessible potentially

Well, here's something important to know and realize it's a given; If the phone boots, then the abl isn't corrupted. ABL stands for Android Boot Loader. Phone don't boot if that don't work.

What probably happened, is u flashed the engineering abl, and didn't do the remaining steps, which the last one would have been to flash your original abl back.

The point of the eng abl is one thing: to unlock the bootloader. It doesn't boot the phone unless the rom you have is Oreo. Yer probably not on Oreo. So the phone probably tried the other slot, and that's prob why u got the same update as before.

It also sounds like u don't know what yer doing. I'd recommend re-reading the guide, slowly. numerous times.

If a step doesn't make sense, ask questions about that step. One step at a time.

kanaan360

Fair enough, I'm not used to LG or Verizon. Frankly surprised any progress has ever been made on this phone model given how heavy Verizon is with that lock hammer.
I'm here to learn though

I'm on Verizon's Android 10 build and I figured my bootloader wasn't actually corrupt, but it does seem to be inaccessible by the user currently. And if it doesn't boot on non Oreo roms why'd it boot the first time? And further how should I downgrade to Oreo so I can proceed?

Malkierian

Jan 7, 2015
OK, so I figured out I'd missed the little bit about selecting UFS in the bottom-right of QFIL, did that and it connected just fine. I went to abl_a and abl_b, backed them up, then uploaded the engineering bootloader. Backed up laf_a and laf_b, then erased them. Restarted out of EDL and held volume down, phone just booted normally. What did I do wrong?

EDIT: Now I can't get into EDL mode, either, to try to reflash the booloader. If I try to just hold volume up after rebooting (holding Power and VolDown), I get a message saying "Your device has failed a routine safety check and will not boot."

Last edited:

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
OK, so I figured out I'd missed the little bit about selecting UFS in the bottom-right of QFIL, did that and it connected just fine. I went to abl_a and abl_b, backed them up, then uploaded the engineering bootloader. Backed up laf_a and laf_b, then erased them. Restarted out of EDL and held volume down, phone just booted normally. What did I do wrong?

EDIT: Now I can't get into EDL mode, either, to try to reflash the booloader. If I try to just hold volume up after rebooting (holding Power and VolDown), I get a message saying "Your device has failed a routine safety check and will not boot."

So first, the only reason you would want to erase the laf partitions is that it will give you a 'watered down' version of fastboot (instead of lgup).

So, if you don't want or need a 'watered down' version of fastboot, then there's no reason to do that (erase the lafs). And, to get to this 'watered down' version of fastboot, you'd do the same key combination you'd normally use to go to LGUP, not the ones you'd use for fastboot.

The only thing I can think if you are using the correct key combo to get to fastboot, are u leaving the usb cable plugged in? That has to be plugged in for it to work.

Finally, edl mode is difficult to get to, it's tricky and the timing usually takes a few tries to get right. But, you can never NOT get to edl mode, it can't be disabled and it can't be erased. It's built in. If you are not able to get to it, try try try again. That's really one of the beauties of this device, you can ALWAYS get to edl mode, no matters what the state of the device is (bootlooping, etc). It ALWAYS works, u just have to keep trying.

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
Fair enough, I'm not used to LG or Verizon. Frankly surprised any progress has ever been made on this phone model given how heavy Verizon is with that lock hammer.
I'm here to learn though

I'm on Verizon's Android 10 build and I figured my bootloader wasn't actually corrupt, but it does seem to be inaccessible by the user currently. And if it doesn't boot on non Oreo roms why'd it boot the first time? And further how should I downgrade to Oreo so I can proceed?

You're misunderstanding the point that the eng abl is Oreo. The point is that it won't boot (normally) if the rom isn't Oreo. But you don't need the eng abl to boot the phone, u just need it to use fastboot to unlock the boot loader. After you've unlocked the bootloader, as the directions say, you're suppose to flash your original abl back, so the phone can then boot normally.

While some have been able to boot their a9 or a10 rom with the Oreo eng abl, they've had other problems once booted, so it's not recommended. Only use it to unlock the bootloader, then be done with it.

Proceed with your new understanding, then, if u run into a problem, stop. And post here with where u are stuck, the group will try to help.

Malkierian

Jan 7, 2015
You're misunderstanding the point that the eng abl is Oreo. The point is that it won't boot (normally) if the rom isn't Oreo. But you don't need the eng abl to boot the phone, u just need it to use fastboot to unlock the boot loader. After you've unlocked the bootloader, as the directions say, you're suppose to flash your original abl back, so the phone can then boot normally.

While some have been able to boot their a9 or a10 rom with the Oreo eng abl, they've had other problems once booted, so it's not recommended. Only use it to unlock the bootloader, then be done with it.

Proceed with your new understanding, then, if u run into a problem, stop. And post here with where u are stuck, the group will try to help.
How is my phone booting normally if I have the engineering bootloader on there but run a v10 ROM?

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
How is my phone booting normally if I have the engineering bootloader on there but run a v10 ROM?

It just means that you're one of the lucky ones, that it manages to boot with that abl. But, others have done that and run into problems, and that's why it's recommended to not do that.

But the point isn't really that it may or may not boot, the point is to use the eng abl, unlock the bootloader, than flash the original back.

that's all the eng abl is for, unlock the bl, u don't need it after that.

Malkierian

Jan 7, 2015
So first, the only reason you would want to erase the laf partitions is that it will give you a 'watered down' version of fastboot (instead of lgup).

So, if you don't want or need a 'watered down' version of fastboot, then there's no reason to do that (erase the lafs). And, to get to this 'watered down' version of fastboot, you'd do the same key combination you'd normally use to go to LGUP, not the ones you'd use for fastboot.

The only thing I can think if you are using the correct key combo to get to fastboot, are u leaving the usb cable plugged in? That has to be plugged in for it to work.

Finally, edl mode is difficult to get to, it's tricky and the timing usually takes a few tries to get right. But, you can never NOT get to edl mode, it can't be disabled and it can't be erased. It's built in. If you are not able to get to it, try try try again. That's really one of the beauties of this device, you can ALWAYS get to edl mode, no matters what the state of the device is (bootlooping, etc). It ALWAYS works, u just have to keep trying.
Yes, I am leaving it plugged in. If I have the LAFs erased and the bootloaders on there, can I still get the normal fastboot with the combination required? Can I get to fastboot if I'm not restarting from EDL? EDIT: Also, plugging the phone in while it's off just takes it to the offline charging screen, nothing about fastboot. Whether I hold volume down and power and just release power when I hear the disconnect noise, or release both and press volume down again, it just boots normally.

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
Yes, I am leaving it plugged in. If I have the LAFs erased and the bootloaders on there, can I still get the normal fastboot with the combination required? Can I get to fastboot if I'm not restarting from EDL? EDIT: Also, plugging the phone in while it's off just takes it to the offline charging screen, nothing about fastboot. Whether I hold volume down and power and just release power when I hear the disconnect noise, or release both and press volume down again, it just boots normally.

yes, u can bet to normal fastboot with combo.
yes, u can get to fastboot without starting from edl.
yes, just plugging phone in when off will go to charging. why would it go to fastboot?

"Whether I hold volume down and power and just release power when I hear the disconnect noise, or release both and press volume down again, it just boots normally" when are u doing this? From what screen? From EDL?

If that's the case, u really really need to stop over complicating things by doing anything other than what the instructions say. If they say to just release pwr and keep holding vol down, then do that. If that doesn't work, then ask for help.

If you tell a million things you've tried and all kinds of discombobulated combos, it becomes difficult to follow and leads to uncertainty u even did what u were suppose to do.

If u are doing exactly as u should be doing, and u still can't get to fastboot, there are other things we can look at as possible issues. but first, it needs to be established u are doing exactly as u should.

cheers

Malkierian

Jan 7, 2015
yes, just plugging phone in when off will go to charging. why would it go to fastboot?

"Whether I hold volume down and power and just release power when I hear the disconnect noise, or release both and press volume down again, it just boots normally" when are u doing this? From what screen? From EDL?

If that's the case, u really really need to stop over complicating things by doing anything other than what the instructions say. If they say to just release pwr and keep holding vol down, then do that. If that doesn't work, then ask for help.

If you tell a million things you've tried and all kinds of discombobulated combos, it becomes difficult to follow and leads to uncertainty u even did what u were suppose to do.

If u are doing exactly as u should be doing, and u still can't get to fastboot, there are other things we can look at as possible issues. but first, it needs to be established u are doing exactly as u should.

cheers
Part of my questions have been to clarify what I'm supposed to be doing. And I went to other posts in the thread to try to figure out if those other options solved my problem. So I told the options I tried that satisfied directions I thought could have meant multiple things and mentioned other troubleshooting things I tried so we could eliminate those as possibilities, as well as bringing up other conditions I have because of the state my phone is in after following those instructions. My bad for wanting to be more efficient and not unnecessarily clutter up the thread with repeat issues if at all possible.

Now, to address your questions.
At least half a dozen troubleshooting and/or fastboot guides out there say to power down the phone and plug it in while holding the volume down button to get to fastboot. I wasn't JUST plugging it in.
I've done this from EDL, from normal off, and from booted.

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
Part of my questions have been to clarify what I'm supposed to be doing. And I went to other posts in the thread to try to figure out if those other options solved my problem. So I told the options I tried that satisfied directions I thought could have meant multiple things and mentioned other troubleshooting things I tried so we could eliminate those as possibilities, as well as bringing up other conditions I have because of the state my phone is in after following those instructions. My bad for wanting to be more efficient and not unnecessarily clutter up the thread with repeat issues if at all possible.

Now, to address your questions.

At least half a dozen troubleshooting and/or fastboot guides out there say to power down the phone and plug it in while holding the volume down button to get to fastboot. I wasn't JUST plugging it in.

I've done this from EDL, from normal off, and from booted.

Well for me, it's better to eliminate issues one at a time, to be sure those aren't the mistakes. Personally, I hate to spend a lot of time trying to figure out a problem, only to find the issue was a simple thing in the initial stages that was misunderstood.

It would be better for someone else to try to help, maybe someone more appropriate for your 'more efficient' style. Good luck.

Malkierian

Jan 7, 2015
Well for me, it's better to eliminate issues one at a time, to be sure those aren't the mistakes. Personally, I hate to spend a lot of time trying to figure out a problem, only to find the issue was a simple thing in the initial stages that was misunderstood.

It would be better for someone else to try to help, maybe someone more appropriate for your 'more efficient' style. Good luck.
Look, I admit, I was pretty passive aggressive with my response, and I apologize for that, but you could have put it differently too, something like "let's slow down and take it one step at a time" or "let's start from the beginning just to make sure". We did have different styles, but my proactive approach isn't "over-complicating things", nor was I telling "a million things" that I had tried, just a few possibilities that were already addressed in the thread that I was mentioning I had tried. And a forum makes me want to do that because it's such a slow form of communication. Most of my previous experience has been the feeling of exasperation from other people because of my not being proactive. Not to mention, up to a certain point, I'm not just waiting for responses here in my attempts to troubleshoot this problem, so I figured letting you know about other things I'd tried would help you narrow down possibilities. I couldn't know you wouldn't see it that way.

Please, if you have any other ideas, I'm willing to try your way. Other sources have dried up now.

kris597

Nov 27, 2017
Currently on an original sprint model crossflashed to to verzion 10.0. When i try to enter the bootloader, it just reboots normally. Do i need to downgrade back to sprint 9.0 and then go through the process again ?

Update: Got it to work , however, i did not backup my abl files and am now bricked. Before i go through the process of reflashing the kdz, does anyone have the abl files for verizon 10.0

Last edited:

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
Currently on an original sprint model crossflashed to to verzion 10.0. When i try to enter the bootloader, it just reboots normally. Do i need to downgrade back to sprint 9.0 and then go through the process again ?

Update: Got it to work , however, i did not backup my abl files and am now bricked. Before i go through the process of reflashing the kdz, does anyone have the abl files for verizon 10.0

These are the abl, boot, laf for vzw 30c. Pretty easy to extract them from the kdz with kdz extractor.

cheers

kris597

Nov 27, 2017
These are the abl, boot, laf for vzw 30c. Pretty easy to extract them from the kdz with kdz extractor.

cheers
Unfortunately, these didn't work for me. I cross-flashed the us 9.0 version and I successfully unlocked the bootloader. However, when I try to go back into fastboot, I'm met with a message saying " Your device is unlocked " and it boots me back to the main OS. Anyone else having these issues ?

Edit: I had to reload the v35 images to get back into fastboot. However, i am now getting
downloading 'boot.img'... OKAY [ 2.124s]
booting... FAILED (remote: Failed to load/authenticate boot image: Load Error)

Last edited:

zfk110

Jan 11, 2014
Atlanta

cheers
I got the same issue, after flashing abl_a with eng35 phone wont boot into fastboot it will boot into stock, I think we need to downgrade to pie unlock the bootloader, then upgrade back to 10 and then go from there.

Edit: I reflashed 30C Kdz which is 10 again and then I tired with ABl-b flashing with v35 now I can boot into fastboot.

timekeepercookie

Nov 11, 2021
Hi, all, hope I can get some help. I'll try to be as descriptive as possible with my issues.

So I've got a LM-V405UA (Verizon, USA, factory reset, Android 10), and despite many, many attempts, I can't seem to get into 9008 mode. Or maybe my computer isn't recognizing it properly...? I will say--I don't have the "enable OEM mode" in my developer options.

When I restart by holding power + down and then by tapping up, I'm able to get into Download Mode and the screen goes to the firmware update "Do not unplug the USB connection until the process is complete" screen. But that doesn't seem to line up with what I should be seeing (a blank screen?). In my device manager, the phone shows up as an "LGE AndroidNet USB Serial Port (COM7)." I have QPST installed from the thread. If I should share any other info, I'm happy to, but I can't think of anything beyond this. Any and all help would be appreciated.

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
Hi, all, hope I can get some help. I'll try to be as descriptive as possible with my issues.

So I've got a LM-V405UA (Verizon, USA, factory reset, Android 10), and despite many, many attempts, I can't seem to get into 9008 mode. Or maybe my computer isn't recognizing it properly...? I will say--I don't have the "enable OEM mode" in my developer options.

When I restart by holding power + down and then by tapping up, I'm able to get into Download Mode and the screen goes to the firmware update "Do not unplug the USB connection until the process is complete" screen. But that doesn't seem to line up with what I should be seeing (a blank screen?). In my device manager, the phone shows up as an "LGE AndroidNet USB Serial Port (COM7)." I have QPST installed from the thread. If I should share any other info, I'm happy to, but I can't think of anything beyond this. Any and all help would be appreciated.

So without the 'enable oem unlock', follow the directions and be sure to flash the 'frp' indicated.

To get to edl mode is difficult at first. With the phone booted, press and hold both vol minus and pwr buttons. Continue to hold them and when u see the 'count down' screen, wait until it reaches 0 and the screen blanks, then quickly start pressing vol up on and off as quickly as u can (continue to hold the other 2 keys down).

If the phone goes blank and stays there, you're in edl mode. If it reboots, try again. Many people, even those with experience doing this, find it takes several tries.

cheers

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This Guide will explain how to unlock your LG V40 (Every variant except T-Mobile)

Unlock Prerequisites:
    Make sure you have "Enable OEM Unlock" enabled in developer options, along with adb debugging. Very important. You'll be stuck with the red triangle otherwise. If you don't have the "Enable OEM Unlock" option in developer options, you'll have to flash frp with the v35 engineering bootloader. The frp image will be provided in the attachments section.

QPST Download:
    It turns out the reason QFIL is failing is because it's missing quite a bit of stuff. I'm providing the zip to QPST (It's actually required) to install. QPST includes QFIL. My fault, I'm all over the place with this... Here it is (GDrive): QPST

Booting into EDL:
    Note: This can be done while booted!

1. Plug in your Phone to your PC

2. Press and hold Power and Volume Down

3. As soon as your screen blanks, rapidly start pressing volume up.

4. If you've successfully booted into EDL, your screen will be completely blank and the device manager will show (Under COM Ports): Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008

nQeN45t.png

Using QFIL to Unlock Your Bootloader
    QPST should be installed, and your in 9008 plugged into your PC.

Setting up QFIL:
    1. Launch QFIL and set your storage type to UFS. This is located at the bottom right corner of the window The LG V40 has UFS storage. The leaked loader is a loader for LG SD845 UFS devices. If you try to send the loader with your storage set to emmc, it will NOT work. By default, it is set to emmc.

9jvV3rv.png

2. Select the port. Click select port and select the one that says "Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM #)" That is your phone. After it is highlighted, press OK.

3. Under select programmer, click browse, find the loader and select it.

4. Your screen should now look like this (Minus the Flat Build Stuff, that is for total unbrick purposes):

DmnzGBy.png

QFIL is now all setup and ready for flashing.

Flashing the Engineering Bootloader

1. In the upper left hand corner of the Window, click on Tools > Partition Manager from the drop down menu

smxXCkP.png

2. When the Partition Manager window comes up, find "abl_a" > click on it > right click and select Manage Partition Data.

AzuFXMm.png

3. When the "Raw Data Manager" window comes up, there are four options to choose from (I'll tell you what each of them does):

• Erase: Wipes the specified partition clean
    • Read Data...: Backs up the partition. It will tell you where it saved it in the log output in the main window
    • Load Image: Flashes a .img file of your choice to the specified partition
    • Close: Brings you back to the Partition Manager

LKG7Wkg.png

You'll be using the load image function to flash the V35 Engineering bootloader to your device.

4. Click load image then select the V35 engineering bootloader. It will flash the image to your device.

Unlocking Your Device:

Now that the V35 Engineering Bootloader has been flashed to your device:

1. Press and hold the Power and Volume Down buttons until your device reboots out of 9008. When you hear the disconnect sound, immediately hold volume down (only volume down) to enter fastboot right away (this is required for both methods, my apologies).

2. When you've entered fastboot, execute this command:
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    Userdata will be wiped as a security measure as with all android devices.

3. While you're still in the v35 engineering bootloader flash back the stock pie bootloader (If originally on pie firmware) with:
    Code:
    fastboot flash abl_a path/to/ablpiestock.img

The V35 Engineering bootloader is OREO only. Some people have managed to boot with this on pie firmware. But generally, you WON'T be able to boot with this flashed if you're on PIE firmware. If you're on Oreo firmware, you can leave this flashed

4. For devices without the "Enable OEM Unlock" option, you'll need to flash frp! You can do so with (While still in V35 Bootloader):

Code:
    fastboot flash frp path/to/frp

4a. Reboot right back into fastboot (hold volume down after rebooting) and run:
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock

The reason you can't unlock your T-Mobile device is because no other bootloader/firmware will work with T-Mobile devices. Only T-Mobile firmware will work on it. If you're looking for root, avoid V405TA (T-Mobile) phones. Any other model will work for this.
    Incorrectly referred to EDL than Download mode

HI all, I just wanted to share my experience of this that may give some extra help for others going through this. But first, I'd not have got anywhere if it wasn't for a bunch of you on here, so many thanks to @Xsavi, @Ainz_Ooal_Gown, @DLS123, @LameMonster82 and many others! And I may as well pre-thank @SGCMarkus as his threads are coming soon enough...

Ok, so my initial goal was to get root on my LG V40...

I started with an LM-V405EBW V20a-IND-XX, so that meant I was not able to unlock the bootloader using the official LG method - I've got to admit, I liked the LG V40 phone, and it was a good price, and I thought it had developer support... I missed that it was only for one market (come on LG, please do better!)

Anyway, challenge was set! All I really wanted was to have root... I naïvely thought a combination of @Ainz_Ooal_Gown's LGUP Guide and some KDZ tweaking from @DLS123 would get me there; however, I was about to run in to two snags: CrossDL errors and Chain of Trust issues

So my first thought was: could I perhaps flash an EU image onto the phone and also get a bunch of security upgrades too! So I downloaded the latest one, V20e-LAO-COM. Then following @Ainz_Ooal_Gown's guide I evenutally ran into the CrossDL "Error 0x6004 OPEN_ESA_DS > OPEN_EU_DS". From searching around the only way I could force this was to use the LGUP_Cmd.exe from the LGUP v1.15 Developer version. And this worked perfectly, even though there were rumours around that such an indiscriminate flashing could be very dangerous and brick my phone - so beware and be careful!

Ok, so now I learnt that IMEI and OEM Device-ID are a more integral part of the phone, and this flash has only brought me useful security fixes that my previous would not have - so that's good. However, I am a long way from root as my reading around this informed me that unless I could break the QCom Chain of Trust (eg. unlock the bootloader, etc.) then I was not going to get a phone that would boot up, certainly patching the boot in a KDZ image was not going to work. I saw that I could have this done remotely with those who owned an Octopusbox by hooking up via some websites or the V40 Telegram group - sadly both felt a little like giving up, and I couldn't afford one of the boxes so...

Then I found this, @Xsavi's, guide. I ended up using the latest QPST from QPSTtool.com. I probably didn't need it, however I was getting many "Download Fail:Sahara Fail:QSaharaServer Fail:process fail" errors. I was unable to get the QFIL tool to download the partitions in the Partition Manager part of QFIL. When it works it should be very quick, but when it doesn't it will stall for a while, output some logs, and then that error (similar to the output here, although they are doing something different).
    Using the latest version of QPST seemed to fix this with the one given in this thread. But then it too started failing with the same error. So, from more reading, I started to get a feel that timing and maybe environment was important. In terms of timing, as soon as you put the phone into 9008 Mode* you need to as quickly as possible load up the Partition Manager, and in terms of environment, a freshly restarted phone put into this mode... possibly similar for the QPST tooling too... I didn't manage to repeat this to be sure.
    (* yes - 9008 Mode is a black screen, doesn't boot, doesn't seem to be on, hold <power>+<vol down> to reboot out of it. You also need to have the cable plugged it to go into this mode it seemed. And you have to be very quick once you turn the power off, pressing the <vol up> button to go into it too. You will know you got it as the phone will not turn back on, and in Windows Device Manager you will see the Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 come up)

I did a few things different from this guide that I'll cover here: I took a backup for the abl_a/abl_b and laf_a/laf_b partitions using QFIL. When you look at a partition you have an option to Read it too. I used this to make backups. I then used the V35 image to unlock the bootloader of the V40! (yes! success!) I then restored the abl_a I took a backup of. When I rebooted I was presented with a fastboot that was now not looking for unlocks, it wanted me to flash things. So I put the phone into Download mode, and then using LGUP I restored the V20e-LAO-COM KDZ. After a few reboots, a reset, and some processing time the LG V40 is now up and running and importantly with the bootloader still unlocked! And everything seems to be working so far...

I realise looking back I could have cut out the CrossDL issues as everything would have been erased in the bootloader unlock. Oh and all of this was done via Windows 8.1 VM in VirtualBox: you can both download IMGs from Microsoft's site, then another part will give you the Product Keys. Anyway, hope that helps others a little bit through this too - next is to finally try out @DLS123's Magisk tutorial and I should be done, until some LineageOS desire sets in.

Thanks again everyone! Looking forward to what can be done in this space now for this phone: 9008 Mode is amazing (and terrifying) for its scope!
    Awesome! You guys are brilliant!
    So do we expect a kickstart in development (like the V30's dev scene) now that an unlock is available for everybody?

And one last question: does this mean that we can unlock a (network) locked phone this way? I know that the usual answer is 'no', but from what I've seen around here, there's something called 'cross-flashing' of US unlocked firmware. Perhaps that means an unlock?
    If not, do online unlock services work? (I do not want any names - I just want to know whether any service at all works).

I do apologize if my questions are stupid - it's only that with the overwhelming amount of (sometimes contradictory) posts here, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly! :laugh:

Your questions aren't stupid. :)

Unfortunately, you can't sim unlock using this method. I'm hoping this will kickstart development for this device also, I already have a few ROMs made I have yet to release to XDA. Any 3rd party online unlock services are scams. Nowadays, everything is done server side when it comes to SIM unlocking your phone.

No problem dude! If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out to me. I'm super active in the V40 telegram group. I'm becoming more active here too (I need to. LoL).
    Also getting a Download Fail, but mine reads "Download Fail:Sahara Fail:QSaharaServer Fail:process fail". My port is showing as Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM7). I was sure to try to update the driver in device manager, and am prompted that "The best drivers for your device are already installed".
    Crap, I completely forgot an important detail. If you are using 9008 mode for the first time, you'll need to update the driver in Device Manager. Then select the port. My fault, I'll update that now.
    It should say: Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008