[GUIDE] Unlock your LG V40 via 9008 mode (Every Variant except T-Mobile)

Search This thread

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
Unfortunately even using a USB 2.0 port did not work. I don't have much hope for it since I was able to connect over fastboot and EDL previously but it currently won't connect over USB at all.
I even tried putting it in the freezer in case the issue was something similar to what happened with the good old Note 4, but that only made it draw ~140 mA while it was cold instead of ~450 mA, still no indication of connecting on either of my computers.

What I can see/access right now is:

1. "V40 ThinQ Powered by Android" boot screen, then goes immediately to red triangle (specifically this time there is no "all slots are unbootable" message), then to V35 fastboot:
View attachment 5336015View attachment 5336017
2. EDL mode (I think). I hold power + volume down while in fastboot and then rapidly push the volume up button. If timed right it goes to a blank screen instead of rebooting to option 1 (V40 boot screen etc.).

3. A circle with a lightning bolt (presumably the charging screen) shows up momentarily -> red triangle -> V35 fastboot.

4. Factory reset screen (tried resetting, it didn't change anything)
View attachment 5336021

Maybe there's some magic key combination or something to be discovered in the future involving a microSD card (if it's even a software problem, perhaps some chip or fuse blew and that's why it won't connect over USB) but I think my V40 is now a fancy paperweight/parts phone. At least it was less than $100!

Obviously the phones not dead, it's just not booting. It's possible the usb port has gone bad, some say using a q-tip and isopropyl alcohol to clean it helps.

Be sure, in device manager, that you don't have anything with a '!' symbol (like android, etc), as that would mean a driver problem. I know you said it was working before, but check that again as windows can be very finicky.

Does the pc see the device using lgup? (device off, hold vol up, plug in usb cable). Yeah the usb problem needs to be figured out first. Seems possible, given the price u paid, it might have been bad to begin with and only worked intermittently?

cheers

xv6700redfred

Sep 9, 2009
I'm wondering if anyone can help me.

This is what I did step by step to screw up my phone.

Using qfil:
1. Used the "read" option to back-up the partitions of abl_a, abl_b, boot_a, boot_b, laf_a laf_b.
I located the partitions and named them accordingly.

I tried to follow the tutorial on page 30 of this form and failed to get past the bootloader unlock.

Used these codes:
astboot getvar all
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot --set-active=a
fastboot flash abl_a c:\original boot file here\abl_a.img

2. Erased the 6 partitions above.
3. Tried to restore the 6 partitions above, rebooted and I get a very dim error screen.

Attachments

• 0613211921a.jpg
    0613211921a.jpg
    883.5 KB · Views: 50

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
I'm wondering if anyone can help me.

This is what I did step by step to screw up my phone.

Using qfil:
1. Used the "read" option to back-up the partitions of abl_a, abl_b, boot_a, boot_b, laf_a laf_b.
I located the partitions and named them accordingly.

I tried to follow the tutorial on page 30 of this form and failed to get past the bootloader unlock.

Used these codes:
astboot getvar all
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot --set-active=a
fastboot flash abl_a c:\original boot file here\abl_a.img

2. Erased the 6 partitions above.
3. Tried to restore the 6 partitions above, rebooted and I get a very dim error screen.

I understand that sort of thing happens when you bork the partition table, usually by flashing an image to a wrong partition (the image is too big so it overwrites whats near it).

From the tele group the solution is the v40unbrick:

-------------------
v40unbrick:

Download (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WQaaM35SWiF_UbXAM8hiRB95D2CDkIEq) the backup. Unzip it to find 7 luns (0-6).

1. Open QFIL
2. Select Flat Build
3. Click load xml and select the rawprogram(#) XML that is in the lun(0-6) folder.
4. If it asks you for a patch xml, click cancel. It's not needed to flash this backup.
5. Click download
6. Repeat steps for each lun folder.
---------------------

that will at least get the phone working again, but I think the backup is at&t pie (not positive). None the less, you'll then be able to flash a kdz of your choice or find a newer backup of at&t or sprint if that's what u want to use.

cheers

• Love
Reactions: silverrose

xv6700redfred

Sep 9, 2009
I understand that sort of thing happens when you bork the partition table, usually by flashing an image to a wrong partition (the image is too big so it overwrites whats near it).

-------------------
v40unbrick:

Download (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WQaaM35SWiF_UbXAM8hiRB95D2CDkIEq) the backup. Unzip it to find 7 luns (0-6).

1. Open QFIL
2. Select Flat Build
3. Click load xml and select the rawprogram(#) XML that is in the lun(0-6) folder.
4. If it asks you for a patch xml, click cancel. It's not needed to flash this backup.
5. Click download
---------------------

that will at least get the phone working again, but I think the backup is at&t pie (not positive). None the less, you'll then be able to flash a kdz of your choice or find a newer backup of at&t or sprint if that's what u want to use.

cheers

-------------------
v40unbrick:

1. Open QFIL
2. Select Flat Build
5. Click download
---------------------

cheers
Thank you for your help on this I really appreciate it!

Ok so I didn't tell you the whole story. Lol
I did load the wrong backup file in fastboot with the "fastboot flash abl_a c:\original boot file here\abl_a.img"
there was an error code that said "data overflow" or something like that.

Then I went back into qfil and deleted all 6 of the partitions (noted in the above post) and proceeded to flash back the back-up partitions not knowing that I was loading them to the wrong partitions. 2 out of the 6 said the same error "data overflow" and I proceeded anyways. Once I found that I had labeled the back-up wrong I was able to load the correct back-up .bin files to the correct partition.

That's when I got the dim error screen upon reboot.

Fyi My phone is Lg v40, Sprint, Pie 9.
I will follow you instructions, thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: AsItLies

xv6700redfred

Sep 9, 2009
When I load all 7 xml files as you described above will this overwrite everything on the phone?
Like a dumbass I didn't save my imei number. Ugh...

Last edited:

xv6700redfred

Sep 9, 2009

-------------------
v40unbrick:

1. Open QFIL
2. Select Flat Build
5. Click download
---------------------

cheers
When I load all 7 xml files as you described above will this overwrite everything on the phone?

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
it shouldn't but always, before overwriting a partition, save it. In this case, the critical partitions (that have imei and serial) are ftm, fsg, modem, modemst1 and modemst2. Save those just in case you have to flash them back after doing the restore.

one thing that happens with doing a restore like this is after ea xml (lun), pretty sure it will need to be put back into edl mode ea time. Kind of a pain. Also, if one of the lun restore doesn't restore anything, not a big issue (I think there are actually 2 of them that do that).

finish them all, none the less, then it should boot.

cheers

xv6700redfred

Sep 9, 2009
it shouldn't but always, before overwriting a partition, save it. In this case, the critical partitions (that have imei and serial) are ftm, fsg, modem, modemst1 and modemst2. Save those just in case you have to flash them back after doing the restore.

one thing that happens with doing a restore like this is after ea xml (lun), pretty sure it will need to be put back into edl mode ea time. Kind of a pain. Also, if one of the lun restore doesn't restore anything, not a big issue (I think there are actually 2 of them that do that).

finish them all, none the less, then it should boot.

cheers
Hello again, sorry for all the hand-holding here. I'll figure this out soon I'm sure. I loaded all the luns, Lun 0 failed to load. I then loaded back the Fsg, Ftm, Modem_a, Modem_b Modemst1, Modemst2. Nonetheless things are looking up. I was able to get into fastboot and also retrieve my IMEI number. But the phone will still not boot. I get a red triangle error on the screen and the phone automatically reboots after some time. Any idea on what could be going on?

Attachments

• 0617211556b_HDR.jpg
    0617211556b_HDR.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
Hello again, sorry for all the hand-holding here. I'll figure this out soon I'm sure. I loaded all the luns, Lun 0 failed to load. I then loaded back the Fsg, Ftm, Modem_a, Modem_b Modemst1, Modemst2. Nonetheless things are looking up. I was able to get into fastboot and also retrieve my IMEI number. But the phone will still not boot. I get a red triangle error on the screen and the phone automatically reboots after some time. Any idea on what could be going on?
You shouldn't need to reload those partitions. Just have them in case your IMEI disappears, but it probably won't. I'd say do the luns again and it will probably be okay.

Cheers

xv6700redfred

Sep 9, 2009
You shouldn't need to reload those partitions. Just have them in case your IMEI disappears, but it probably won't. I'd say do the luns again and it will probably be okay.

Cheers
I tried to load them again, the only one that would not load is Lun 0. I reboot after and still have the red triangle error.
Any ideas? If not no worries I will keep messing with it. Cheers!

Last edited:

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
I tried to load them again, the only one that would not load is Lun 0. I reboot after and still have the red triangle error.
Any ideas? If not no worries I will keep messing with it. Cheers!

Well a red triangle means partition mismatch. So somehow they are still not all of the same version.

I'd suggest this, flash the files from this link (not the boot one with twrp in the name). This should hopefully give you lgup (download) ability.

After flashing them with qfil, exit edl with holding vol - and the pwr button, after windows chime, just hold vol up (and of course leave usb plugged in).

That should then bring you to lgup download mode and you can then flash a kdz. I'd suggest go with the US Open Pie (there is no Q version). When flashing the kdz, first do it with partition D/L mode, select all partitions but ftm. Then, after it reboots and finishes, turn off, enter lgup mode again, and do a 'refurbish' with the exact same kdz you just used for D/L mode.

So, at this point anyway, yer gpt table error is gone, you've got backups of critical files (in case they are needed - **if** imei disappears), and with the above you should get download mode.

yer not that far away from having it being fully functional again. give it a go.

silverrose

Apr 30, 2010
Hey everyone!

First, Thanks for posting this guide and all the help you've given others, and me, as I try to figure this out.
Still having trouble with fastboot, but that's not the point of this post.

This post is to say what I think will fix the dreaded Sahara Error once and for all. At least it did for me.

Go into Firehose Configuration (under configuration) and check the box next to "DOWNLOAD PROTOCOL SAHARA" that says "Reset State Machine" in the upper left corner.

Once I did that, I connected no problem. I tried clearing the check box, and immediately had problems again. Checked it, and back in.

Hopefully this works for you, and if it does, let me, and more importantly, others know! Good luck, and happy rooting.

PS. Don't worry, I'll probably be back with questions on why my fastboot keeps crashing... O_O

Edit: Fixed the fastboot issues by using an older PC. Now where do I go from here? Install TWRP and then custom ROMS?

Last edited:

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
They all say "Download Fail:Sahara Fail:QSaharaServer Fail: Process fail"

When you get a sahara error, that means the phone is not connecting properly and nothing will work, no matters how many of the luns you try, or if you try to look at the partitions, or anything... it's not connected, basically.

from the tele group on what to do with a sahara error:
Try reducing the COM port speed by going to device manager
Try another PC
Disable driver signature verification on Windows 10
If you run out of ideas, use a Linux installation; will save you a lot of trouble

gcwct71513

Jun 24, 2021
When you get a sahara error, that means the phone is not connecting properly and nothing will work, no matters how many of the luns you try, or if you try to look at the partitions, or anything... it's not connected, basically.

from the tele group on what to do with a sahara error:
Try reducing the COM port speed by going to device manager
Try another PC
Disable driver signature verification on Windows 10
If you run out of ideas, use a Linux installation; will save you a lot of trouble

Jun 13, 2020
LG V40
Obviously the phones not dead, it's just not booting. It's possible the usb port has gone bad, some say using a q-tip and isopropyl alcohol to clean it helps.

Be sure, in device manager, that you don't have anything with a '!' symbol (like android, etc), as that would mean a driver problem. I know you said it was working before, but check that again as windows can be very finicky.

Does the pc see the device using lgup? (device off, hold vol up, plug in usb cable). Yeah the usb problem needs to be figured out first. Seems possible, given the price u paid, it might have been bad to begin with and only worked intermittently?

cheers
I gotta say thanks for being so dedicated to helping out LG V40 users!

I've got somewhat good news to report:
After buying another V40 (also AT&T 30e), I was able to get the bootloader unlocked but now it's stuck going to fastboot (AT&T V40, not V35 engineering). FIXED after writing most of the post! Read to the end!
1624671022857.png

Here's what I did to get there:
  1. This time I made sure to reboot once after enabling OEM unlock (this may be critical, not sure).
  2. I followed this guide, naively thinking I could easily root without unlocking the bootloader (unlocked bootloader is a prerequisite but is not mentioned in the video).
    1. Basically I used QFIL to get boot_a, used the Magisk app to patch boot_a, then loaded the patched boot_a with QFIL.
    2. This resulted in the phone going to secure start-up and I did not know the password. So I factory reset it.
    3. Then the phone switched to the boot_b slot, and booted to Android.
    4. I tried step 1 again, patching boot_b with Magisk and flashing. Boom, red triangle, "all slots unbootable".
  3. Reverting boot_a and boot_b did nothing, at this point I think some protection from the locked bootloader was triggered.
  4. Loaded V35eng to abl_a (didn't know for sure if it was on slot b at this point). Could not get into fastboot, so I reverted abl_a. Loaded V35eng to boot_b, and was able to get into V35 engineering fastboot.
  5. "fastboot oem unlock" worked this time, and the output was:
    (bootloader) Erasing userdata and cache OKAY [ 0.898s] finished. total time: 0.899s
    Which was different from my first V40, which always failed the first time trying fastboot oem unlock then said something like "already unlocked" the second time.
  6. Reverted abl_b, and now the phone goes straight to V40 fastboot (at least it says it's unlocked!!!).
  7. Reverting boot, abl, laf does not change this. USB still works which is fantastic, I can access EDL/9008 mode.
  8. After updating fastboot.exe (I was using a version too old to have --set-active), fastboot --set-active=a worked and I was able to boot into Android on the stock boot_a.
  9. I then loaded the Magisk-patched boot_a with QFIL, rebooted to Android, and got root!
So in the end I mostly followed the instructions on the first post to get it working. Lessons:
  1. Definitely reboot at least once after choosing to "Enable OEM unlock" in developer settings.
  2. Back up boot_a, boot_b, abl_a, abl_b before doing any flashing (you can also back up laf_a and laf_b but I didn't touch them this time).
  3. Use a USB 2.0 A-to-C cable in a USB 2.0 port; ideally choose a port on the back of your motherboard if using a desktop.
    • I've noticed that USB 2.0 cables are generally more reliable but I can't say for certain that my use of a USB 3.1 type-C to type-C cable was what killed the USB data lines on my first V40 (at least I'm 90% sure they're dead, I haven't done an extensive clean of the port yet).
  4. Get the latest fastboot.exe from this package.
  5. Three-minute YouTube root tutorials are not to be trusted without reading many of the comments first.
EDIT 4/11/2022: Just finished rooting the first V40 since I replaced the USB port. Found my old post had a typo where I said I flashed V35eng to "boot_b" when I meant "abl_b" since the phone went to slot b which meant I couldn't access the V35 fastboot until flashing it to abl_b.

Last edited:

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
I gotta say thanks for being so dedicated to helping out LG V40 users!

I've got somewhat good news to report:
After buying another V40 (also AT&T 30e), I was able to get the bootloader unlocked but now it's stuck going to fastboot (AT&T V40, not V35 engineering). FIXED after writing most of the post! Read to the end!
View attachment 5347903
Here's what I did to get there:
  1. This time I made sure to reboot once after enabling OEM unlock (this may be critical, not sure).
  2. I followed this guide, naively thinking I could easily root without unlocking the bootloader (unlocked bootloader is a prerequisite but is not mentioned in the video).
    1. Basically I used QFIL to get boot_a, used the Magisk app to patch boot_a, then loaded the patched boot_a with QFIL.
    2. This resulted in the phone going to secure start-up and I did not know the password. So I factory reset it.
    3. Then the phone switched to the boot_b slot, and booted to Android.
    4. I tried step 1 again, patching boot_b with Magisk and flashing. Boom, red triangle, "all slots unbootable".
  3. Reverting boot_a and boot_b did nothing, at this point I think some protection from the locked bootloader was triggered.
  4. Loaded V35eng to abl_a (didn't know for sure if it was on slot b at this point). Could not get into fastboot, so I reverted abl_a. Loaded V35eng to boot_b, and was able to get into V35 engineering fastboot.
  5. "fastboot oem unlock" worked this time, and the output was:
    (bootloader) Erasing userdata and cache OKAY [ 0.898s] finished. total time: 0.899s
    Which was different from my first V40, which always failed the first time trying fastboot oem unlock then said something like "already unlocked" the second time.
  6. Reverted abl_b, and now the phone goes straight to V40 fastboot (at least it says it's unlocked!!!).
  7. Reverting boot, abl, laf does not change this. USB still works which is fantastic, I can access EDL/9008 mode.
  8. After updating fastboot.exe (I was using a version too old to have --set-active), fastboot --set-active=a worked and I was able to boot into Android on the stock boot_a.
  9. I then loaded the Magisk-patched boot_a with QFIL, rebooted to Android, and got root!
So in the end I mostly followed the instructions on the first post to get it working. Lessons:
  1. Definitely reboot at least once after choosing to "Enable OEM unlock" in developer settings.
  2. Back up boot_a, boot_b, abl_a, abl_b before doing any flashing (you can also back up laf_a and laf_b but I didn't touch them this time).
  3. Use a USB 2.0 A-to-C cable in a USB 2.0 port; ideally choose a port on the back of your motherboard if using a desktop.
    • I've noticed that USB 2.0 cables are generally more reliable but I can't say for certain that my use of a USB 3.1 type-C to type-C cable was what killed the USB data lines on my first V40 (at least I'm 90% sure they're dead, I haven't done an extensive clean of the port yet).
  4. Get the latest fastboot.exe from this package.
  5. Three-minute YouTube root tutorials are not to be trusted without reading many of the comments first.

One thing is certain, you've learned quite a bit from this experience. And I always feel like, if that's all you get out of it, that's not all bad, it's even pretty dang good.

So one thing, with later versions of android, to get twrp, we have to 'ramdisk inject' it into the existing bootloader. As catch-22 would have it, you have to have twrp already installed to do that.

So, while there are numerous ways to accomplish that task, the point is it's been done already for pretty much all variants of the lg v40. Basically, just indicate which variant / version you're using, and someone will have the boot image patched with twrp for you already.

As example, if you had korean open 30f installed, this would be the boot image patched with twrp. After flashing this with qfil, boot directly to twrp, if asked for pw just cancel out of that, format data, reboot recovery, flash magisk and dm-verity, and yer done.

It's not that hard, but as you've seen, there's a bit to be learned. But doing the above, in addition to the unlocking B/L, as you've discovered, then you'll have twrp, magisk, unencrypted... basically, all set!

cheers

pichulo

Apr 30, 2012
Panama
This Guide will explain how to unlock your LG V40 (Every variant except T-Mobile)

Unlock Prerequisites:
Make sure you have "Enable OEM Unlock" enabled in developer options, along with adb debugging. Very important. You'll be stuck with the red triangle otherwise. If you don't have the "Enable OEM Unlock" option in developer options, you'll have to flash frp with the v35 engineering bootloader. The frp image will be provided in the attachments section.

QPST Download:
It turns out the reason QFIL is failing is because it's missing quite a bit of stuff. I'm providing the zip to QPST (It's actually required) to install. QPST includes QFIL. My fault, I'm all over the place with this... Here it is (GDrive): QPST

Booting into EDL:
Note: This can be done while booted!

1. Plug in your Phone to your PC

2. Press and hold Power and Volume Down

3. As soon as your screen blanks, rapidly start pressing volume up.

4. If you've successfully booted into EDL, your screen will be completely blank and the device manager will show (Under COM Ports): Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008

nQeN45t.png

Using QFIL to Unlock Your Bootloader
QPST should be installed, and your in 9008 plugged into your PC.

Setting up QFIL:
1. Launch QFIL and set your storage type to UFS. This is located at the bottom right corner of the window The LG V40 has UFS storage. The leaked loader is a loader for LG SD845 UFS devices. If you try to send the loader with your storage set to emmc, it will NOT work. By default, it is set to emmc.

9jvV3rv.png

2. Select the port. Click select port and select the one that says "Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM #)" That is your phone. After it is highlighted, press OK.

3. Under select programmer, click browse, find the loader and select it.

4. Your screen should now look like this (Minus the Flat Build Stuff, that is for total unbrick purposes):

DmnzGBy.png

QFIL is now all setup and ready for flashing.

Flashing the Engineering Bootloader

1. In the upper left hand corner of the Window, click on Tools > Partition Manager from the drop down menu

smxXCkP.png

2. When the Partition Manager window comes up, find "abl_a" > click on it > right click and select Manage Partition Data.

AzuFXMm.png

3. When the "Raw Data Manager" window comes up, there are four options to choose from (I'll tell you what each of them does):

• Erase: Wipes the specified partition clean
  • Read Data...: Backs up the partition. It will tell you where it saved it in the log output in the main window
  • Load Image: Flashes a .img file of your choice to the specified partition
  • Close: Brings you back to the Partition Manager

LKG7Wkg.png

You'll be using the load image function to flash the V35 Engineering bootloader to your device.

4. Click load image then select the V35 engineering bootloader. It will flash the image to your device.

Unlocking Your Device:

Now that the V35 Engineering Bootloader has been flashed to your device:

1. Press and hold the Power and Volume Down buttons until your device reboots out of 9008. When you hear the disconnect sound, immediately hold volume down (only volume down) to enter fastboot right away (this is required for both methods, my apologies).

2. When you've entered fastboot, execute this command:
Code:
fastboot oem unlock
Userdata will be wiped as a security measure as with all android devices.

3. While you're still in the v35 engineering bootloader flash back the stock pie bootloader (If originally on pie firmware) with:
Code:
fastboot flash abl_a path/to/ablpiestock.img

The V35 Engineering bootloader is OREO only. Some people have managed to boot with this on pie firmware. But generally, you WON'T be able to boot with this flashed if you're on PIE firmware. If you're on Oreo firmware, you can leave this flashed

4. For devices without the "Enable OEM Unlock" option, you'll need to flash frp! You can do so with (While still in V35 Bootloader):

Code:
fastboot flash frp path/to/frp

4a. Reboot right back into fastboot (hold volume down after rebooting) and run:
Code:
fastboot oem unlock

The reason you can't unlock your T-Mobile device is because no other bootloader/firmware will work with T-Mobile devices. Only T-Mobile firmware will work on it. If you're looking for root, avoid V405TA (T-Mobile) phones. Any other model will work for this.
Is this guide applicable to LM-V409NUA running android 10 (korean version crossflashed to Sprint unlocked phone)?
My software version is V409NUA30b.
I think that will only work if Im in Oreo, right?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This Guide will explain how to unlock your LG V40 (Every variant except T-Mobile)

Unlock Prerequisites:
    Make sure you have "Enable OEM Unlock" enabled in developer options, along with adb debugging. Very important. You'll be stuck with the red triangle otherwise. If you don't have the "Enable OEM Unlock" option in developer options, you'll have to flash frp with the v35 engineering bootloader. The frp image will be provided in the attachments section.

QPST Download:
    It turns out the reason QFIL is failing is because it's missing quite a bit of stuff. I'm providing the zip to QPST (It's actually required) to install. QPST includes QFIL. My fault, I'm all over the place with this... Here it is (GDrive): QPST

Booting into EDL:
    Note: This can be done while booted!

1. Plug in your Phone to your PC

2. Press and hold Power and Volume Down

3. As soon as your screen blanks, rapidly start pressing volume up.

4. If you've successfully booted into EDL, your screen will be completely blank and the device manager will show (Under COM Ports): Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008

nQeN45t.png

Using QFIL to Unlock Your Bootloader
    QPST should be installed, and your in 9008 plugged into your PC.

Setting up QFIL:
    1. Launch QFIL and set your storage type to UFS. This is located at the bottom right corner of the window The LG V40 has UFS storage. The leaked loader is a loader for LG SD845 UFS devices. If you try to send the loader with your storage set to emmc, it will NOT work. By default, it is set to emmc.

9jvV3rv.png

2. Select the port. Click select port and select the one that says "Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM #)" That is your phone. After it is highlighted, press OK.

3. Under select programmer, click browse, find the loader and select it.

4. Your screen should now look like this (Minus the Flat Build Stuff, that is for total unbrick purposes):

DmnzGBy.png

QFIL is now all setup and ready for flashing.

Flashing the Engineering Bootloader

1. In the upper left hand corner of the Window, click on Tools > Partition Manager from the drop down menu

smxXCkP.png

2. When the Partition Manager window comes up, find "abl_a" > click on it > right click and select Manage Partition Data.

AzuFXMm.png

3. When the "Raw Data Manager" window comes up, there are four options to choose from (I'll tell you what each of them does):

• Erase: Wipes the specified partition clean
    • Read Data...: Backs up the partition. It will tell you where it saved it in the log output in the main window
    • Load Image: Flashes a .img file of your choice to the specified partition
    • Close: Brings you back to the Partition Manager

LKG7Wkg.png

You'll be using the load image function to flash the V35 Engineering bootloader to your device.

4. Click load image then select the V35 engineering bootloader. It will flash the image to your device.

Unlocking Your Device:

Now that the V35 Engineering Bootloader has been flashed to your device:

1. Press and hold the Power and Volume Down buttons until your device reboots out of 9008. When you hear the disconnect sound, immediately hold volume down (only volume down) to enter fastboot right away (this is required for both methods, my apologies).

2. When you've entered fastboot, execute this command:
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    Userdata will be wiped as a security measure as with all android devices.

3. While you're still in the v35 engineering bootloader flash back the stock pie bootloader (If originally on pie firmware) with:
    Code:
    fastboot flash abl_a path/to/ablpiestock.img

The V35 Engineering bootloader is OREO only. Some people have managed to boot with this on pie firmware. But generally, you WON'T be able to boot with this flashed if you're on PIE firmware. If you're on Oreo firmware, you can leave this flashed

4. For devices without the "Enable OEM Unlock" option, you'll need to flash frp! You can do so with (While still in V35 Bootloader):

Code:
    fastboot flash frp path/to/frp

4a. Reboot right back into fastboot (hold volume down after rebooting) and run:
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock

The reason you can't unlock your T-Mobile device is because no other bootloader/firmware will work with T-Mobile devices. Only T-Mobile firmware will work on it. If you're looking for root, avoid V405TA (T-Mobile) phones. Any other model will work for this.
    Incorrectly referred to EDL than Download mode

HI all, I just wanted to share my experience of this that may give some extra help for others going through this. But first, I'd not have got anywhere if it wasn't for a bunch of you on here, so many thanks to @Xsavi, @Ainz_Ooal_Gown, @DLS123, @LameMonster82 and many others! And I may as well pre-thank @SGCMarkus as his threads are coming soon enough...

Ok, so my initial goal was to get root on my LG V40...

I started with an LM-V405EBW V20a-IND-XX, so that meant I was not able to unlock the bootloader using the official LG method - I've got to admit, I liked the LG V40 phone, and it was a good price, and I thought it had developer support... I missed that it was only for one market (come on LG, please do better!)

Anyway, challenge was set! All I really wanted was to have root... I naïvely thought a combination of @Ainz_Ooal_Gown's LGUP Guide and some KDZ tweaking from @DLS123 would get me there; however, I was about to run in to two snags: CrossDL errors and Chain of Trust issues

So my first thought was: could I perhaps flash an EU image onto the phone and also get a bunch of security upgrades too! So I downloaded the latest one, V20e-LAO-COM. Then following @Ainz_Ooal_Gown's guide I evenutally ran into the CrossDL "Error 0x6004 OPEN_ESA_DS > OPEN_EU_DS". From searching around the only way I could force this was to use the LGUP_Cmd.exe from the LGUP v1.15 Developer version. And this worked perfectly, even though there were rumours around that such an indiscriminate flashing could be very dangerous and brick my phone - so beware and be careful!

Ok, so now I learnt that IMEI and OEM Device-ID are a more integral part of the phone, and this flash has only brought me useful security fixes that my previous would not have - so that's good. However, I am a long way from root as my reading around this informed me that unless I could break the QCom Chain of Trust (eg. unlock the bootloader, etc.) then I was not going to get a phone that would boot up, certainly patching the boot in a KDZ image was not going to work. I saw that I could have this done remotely with those who owned an Octopusbox by hooking up via some websites or the V40 Telegram group - sadly both felt a little like giving up, and I couldn't afford one of the boxes so...

Then I found this, @Xsavi's, guide. I ended up using the latest QPST from QPSTtool.com. I probably didn't need it, however I was getting many "Download Fail:Sahara Fail:QSaharaServer Fail:process fail" errors. I was unable to get the QFIL tool to download the partitions in the Partition Manager part of QFIL. When it works it should be very quick, but when it doesn't it will stall for a while, output some logs, and then that error (similar to the output here, although they are doing something different).
    Using the latest version of QPST seemed to fix this with the one given in this thread. But then it too started failing with the same error. So, from more reading, I started to get a feel that timing and maybe environment was important. In terms of timing, as soon as you put the phone into 9008 Mode* you need to as quickly as possible load up the Partition Manager, and in terms of environment, a freshly restarted phone put into this mode... possibly similar for the QPST tooling too... I didn't manage to repeat this to be sure.
    (* yes - 9008 Mode is a black screen, doesn't boot, doesn't seem to be on, hold <power>+<vol down> to reboot out of it. You also need to have the cable plugged it to go into this mode it seemed. And you have to be very quick once you turn the power off, pressing the <vol up> button to go into it too. You will know you got it as the phone will not turn back on, and in Windows Device Manager you will see the Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 come up)

I did a few things different from this guide that I'll cover here: I took a backup for the abl_a/abl_b and laf_a/laf_b partitions using QFIL. When you look at a partition you have an option to Read it too. I used this to make backups. I then used the V35 image to unlock the bootloader of the V40! (yes! success!) I then restored the abl_a I took a backup of. When I rebooted I was presented with a fastboot that was now not looking for unlocks, it wanted me to flash things. So I put the phone into Download mode, and then using LGUP I restored the V20e-LAO-COM KDZ. After a few reboots, a reset, and some processing time the LG V40 is now up and running and importantly with the bootloader still unlocked! And everything seems to be working so far...

I realise looking back I could have cut out the CrossDL issues as everything would have been erased in the bootloader unlock. Oh and all of this was done via Windows 8.1 VM in VirtualBox: you can both download IMGs from Microsoft's site, then another part will give you the Product Keys. Anyway, hope that helps others a little bit through this too - next is to finally try out @DLS123's Magisk tutorial and I should be done, until some LineageOS desire sets in.

Thanks again everyone! Looking forward to what can be done in this space now for this phone: 9008 Mode is amazing (and terrifying) for its scope!
    Awesome! You guys are brilliant!
    So do we expect a kickstart in development (like the V30's dev scene) now that an unlock is available for everybody?

And one last question: does this mean that we can unlock a (network) locked phone this way? I know that the usual answer is 'no', but from what I've seen around here, there's something called 'cross-flashing' of US unlocked firmware. Perhaps that means an unlock?
    If not, do online unlock services work? (I do not want any names - I just want to know whether any service at all works).

I do apologize if my questions are stupid - it's only that with the overwhelming amount of (sometimes contradictory) posts here, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly! :laugh:

Your questions aren't stupid. :)

Unfortunately, you can't sim unlock using this method. I'm hoping this will kickstart development for this device also, I already have a few ROMs made I have yet to release to XDA. Any 3rd party online unlock services are scams. Nowadays, everything is done server side when it comes to SIM unlocking your phone.

No problem dude! If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out to me. I'm super active in the V40 telegram group. I'm becoming more active here too (I need to. LoL).
    Also getting a Download Fail, but mine reads "Download Fail:Sahara Fail:QSaharaServer Fail:process fail". My port is showing as Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM7). I was sure to try to update the driver in device manager, and am prompted that "The best drivers for your device are already installed".
    Crap, I completely forgot an important detail. If you are using 9008 mode for the first time, you'll need to update the driver in Device Manager. Then select the port. My fault, I'll update that now.
    It should say: Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008