[GUIDE] Unlocking, Rooting, and Restoring to Stock for Le 2 / S3 (noob-friendly!)

Search This thread

ercamu

Nov 10, 2012
Stock recovery

Hello, when i try to reboot my device in bootloader, it reboot in recovery stock

polphi

Apr 19, 2011
Thank you OP.

My new x522 is stuck in the LeEco bootup screen.

I think I was following all the steps perfectly until step 13, make backups. But I did not get an option for step 14, mounting. I also do not have SuperSU 2.78 copied over to the phone.

I can power the phone off, and reboot into recovery. I get to the screen with the options "update system" and "clear data". Perhaps the best way to attack this is to put an update.zip file in the root of an SD card...? I am just guessing here, and wouldn't be sure how to do that even if it were right... :)

I would appreciate any help. TIA!

Last edited:

lowrider2025

Dec 15, 2009
I had to unbrick my x526 (with QFIL) now 'device product name' is empty. Flashed different versions of twrp but they're always stuck on splash screen of twrp. Is this problem due to 'device product name' being empty ?

ltk6260

May 4, 2022
i apologize for waking such an old thread, but i've been searching for hours and this guide has been the closest to what i need help on. specifically faq 1 about the usb drivers and getting the "waiting for device". The FAQ says to roll back the driver to something pre 2014 but i have been unable to find anything online for older drivers. I'm using a leeco le s3, and unable to find specific oem drivers. the phone shows up in windows device manager fine when booted normal, but as soon as i switch it to fastboot mode it shows up as android with a yellow triangle symbol. So i know it's a driver issue but have been unsuccessful on two windows computers trying various drivers.
Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't have anything against toolkits, I just prefer to use adb and fastboot so I have more control over of what's going on. I also think it's a good idea for folks to have a little idea about what they're doing, even if they aren't experts. Below are the steps I used to install TWRP (recovery) and SuperSU (root) for my X522 (aka S3, the US variant which uses the Snapdragon 652). I don't see any reason this wouldn't work for all other Snapdragon variants: X520 (Chinese), X526 (Indian), and X527 (International). That said, you do what you do at your own risk. If you have one of the other Snapdragon variants and this works for you, though, please respond to the thread and let me know!

This thread is intended to be noob-friendly! That means that there are no dumb questions...unless you ask a question that is directly answered in the first post or in the FAQs found in the second post. To that extent, please read and re-read and if you still can't find your answer, please feel free to post your question.

Many thanks to @Rishabh Rao and his team for getting us an official TWRP image.

WARNING: this will reset your phone entirely! Make sure you save anything you want from internal storage before proceeding any further!

WARNING: as of right now, unlocking / rooting your phone will break your ability to take official OTAs. We're not sure why. That said, you should be able to flash modified OTA zip files manually, after a certain block of the update script is removed (see second post for more information).

Unlocking and Rooting your Le 2
    1. Download and install Minimal ADB and Fastboot: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2317790
    2. Download latest official TWRP, place file in ADB installation folder, and rename to "twrp.img": https://twrp.me/devices/leecole2.html
    3. Download SuperSU 2.78 (stable): https://download.chainfire.eu/1001/
    4. Boot up phone and plug into computer
    5. Settings > scroll to bottom to "About phone" > touch "Build" 7 times to enable developer options
    6. Developer options > toggle "OEM unlocking" and "USB debugging" so that they're both enabled
    7. When "Allow USB debugging?" window pops up on phone, check "Always allow..." box and hit OK
    8. In Minimal ADB installation folder, hold Shift and right-click "Open command window here", then type:
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
    9. Once in fastboot:
      Code:
      fastboot oem unlock-go
      fastboot boot twrp.img
    10. If password screen comes up, tap "Cancel" button
    11. If it asks, tap "Keep Read Only" button (probably doesn't matter, but whatever)
    12. Wipe > Format Data
    13. Make backups (I suggest boot, recovery, and system since this will allow you to return everything to stock later on)
    14. Mount > Enable MTP
    15. Copy entire TWRP folder from internal storage to your computer
    16. Copy SuperSU zip from your computer to root of internal storage
    17. Reboot > Bootloader
      Code:
      fastboot oem unlock-go
      fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
    18. Hold Vol+ and Pwr until boots into TWRP
    19. Swipe to Allow Modifications
    20. Install > select SuperSU zip > swipe to flash
    21. Wipe Cache/Dalvik
    22. Reboot (first boot will take a little while, so be patient)
    23. Enjoy your rooted phone!

Restoring to Stock(ish)
    1. Follow steps 4-7 above
    2. If your boot and recovery backups from TWRP aren't already on your phone, move them to the appropriate folder (internal storage/TWRP/BACKUPS/[yourphoneserialnumber])
    3. In Minimal ADB installation folder, hold Shift and right-click "Open command window here", then type:
      Code:
      adb reboot recovery
    4. Wipe > check Dalvik, Cache, Data
    5. Restore > select your package, ensure boot and recovery are checked, then Swipe to Restore
    6. Reboot > Recovery
    7. In stock recovery: uncheck "Update system", check "Clear data", and tap "Start"
    8. Reboot to bootloader (hold Vol- and Pwr until it comes up) and then:
      Code:
      fastboot oem unlock-go
      fastboot boot twrp.img
    9. Wipe > Format Data
    10. Reboot > System
    11. Your phone is now back to stock!

If you didn't back up your stock recovery, boot, or system, you can find the ones I pulled from my phone at the link below. They're from 19S. I don't know if that makes a difference (vs 18S) with boot and recovery or not, but obviously that's what you're getting with the system.

https://mega.nz/#F!bV0XUbhJ!k2ZfY5t9bxb8gRa3rKQbyA
    FAQs

Fastboot and/or ADB doesn't see my phone!

If you've enabled OEM unlocking and USB debugging and fastboot devices returns <waiting for device> or adb devices doesn't show anything, the most likely culprit is that Windows is using updated ADB drivers and you need to roll back. You can do this via Device Manager > right-click Android Device (or Kedacom USB device) / Android Bootloader Interface > Update driver > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick... > Choose older version (probably something from 2014)

I haven't seen the "Allow USB debugging?" prompt. Where is it?

In some cases, you will need to run an ADB command first to make the prompt show up. If you toggled the appropriate developer options and didn't get the popup immediately, make sure your phone is plugged into your computer and type adb devices in the command prompt. You should get the popup box then.

Stock recovery is in Chinese and I can't read Chinese!

As I was testing the above procedures, this happened to me once or twice and I don't know why. Upon a full restore and boot back into recovery, it was in English again. It might have something to do with the data wipe in TWRP. Anyway, the options in stock recovery are the same in Chinese and English so do this:
    1. Uncheck the first item and check the second
    2. It will direct you to a screen with some red text and a blue button: tap the button
    3. It will return you to the first page: ensure the second item is checked and tap the blue button

Uh, how do I re-lock the bootloader? Am I missing something?

As far as I can tell - and someone please correct me if I'm wrong - using this guide, your bootloader is only ever temporarily unlocked and will re-lock with a reboot. That's why you have to use fastboot oem unlock-go more than once. You can verify this by restarting the phone, rebooting into the bootloader, and using the code below to check the status:

Code:
    fastboot oem device-info
    If for some reason your phone shows that you still have an unlocked bootloader, you can re-lock it using:

Code:
    fastboot oem lock-go

I'm stuck in a stock recovery bootloop. How do I get out of it?

This probably happened because you're just holding down the power button to reboot instead of using the "restart" button in stock recovery. If you use the "restart" button to in stock recovery, it should kick you out of the loop.
    Thank you sir, this worked (almost) perfectly. For some reason on my laptop, I wasn't able to get the phone to connect with debugging (never got the prompt for permission, etc.). No clue why not, I've got drivers and everything, and that laptop works with many other phones. Oh well. Went to a different PC and it worked perfectly.
    Odds are it's a driver issue. Glad to know you're up and running, but if you run into the issue again, roll back the ADB drivers to an older version (probably 2014). See the second post (FAQs)for more information.

I think I'm doing something wrong @rczrider, but I can't get TWRP to even recognize the backup you uploaded. Do I just drag the extracted files to the TWRP folder?
    TWRP looks for backups (and places yours) in a folder with your device identifier as the title. So the path would be something like:

[internal storage]/TWRP/BACKUPS/[your device identifier]/

If you want to have TWRP generate the folder for you, do a backup of anything (boot, recovery, or even an empty partition if you have one). Then navigate to it on your internal storage and place the TWRP backup folders (eg. a folder name of "stock_19S_boot_recovery") with the backup files in it. The TWRP restore menu will list the backup as your folder name (in this case, "stock_19S_boot_recovery").
    Just curious to know if any developer is working for rom on le2
    Yes. @Rishabh Rao and his team (the same ones who did TWRP and the AIO toolkit) are working on CM. As a reminder, please do not ask for ETAs. They will post the ROM when it's available.

Great guide for beginners but can you tell that how can one lock the bootloader again and when we make a backup does it make the back up of TWRP recovery of stock recovery?
    1.) Regarding the bootloader: good question. I've updated the FAQ.
    2.) Regarding recovery backup: that's why we only boot into TWRP the first time, rather than replacing recovery from the beginning. That way, stock boot and recovery are backed up. Later on, when we flash TWRP, stock recovery is replaced.
    I'm trying to upgrade from 18s to 19s and I'm getting upgrade failed every time. I've tried restoring to factory defaults and restoring my TWRP backup. Seems to be fully on stock now and it still fails. My question is, do you think it would be alright if I restored your 19s TWRP backup so that I am on 19s?
    Tell you what: give me an hour or two. I'm currently on non-stock (ie. rooted) 18S and since the Xposed module EUI Moder (http://xdaforums.com/xposed/modules/mod-leeco-eui-moder-t3416932) doesn't work (lockscreen flicker / system UI crash), I don't mind wiping the phone and testing the ability to go back to stock and do an OTA update to 19S. If it doesn't work for me, I'll restore 19S (from my other S3) via TWRP and see if that does it.