• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Guide] Unlocking the bootloader

Search This thread

singhnsk

Nov 11, 2012
www.techmesto.com
The Nokia 7.2, surprisingly, comes with an unlockable bootloader. The information is shared by TechMesto and I am just re-using it to create this guide.

Notes:
Unlocking the bootloader may void the device's warranty.
All existing data on the device will be erased.

To unlock:
Update: Nokia has disabled the unlock ability with the December MR. You can only unlock if you downgrade your phone to an old release first. You can get it at Nokia Care or by buying remote flashing services.

Before you start: Make sure that you have platform-tools downloaded on your PC. You need to open a CMD or Terminal window in the folder where you have saved the platform-tools, unless you have installed them system-wide.

• First of all, enable Developer Options by tapping 7 times on BuildID in "About phone".
• Then go to developer options and enable OEM Unlocking option.
• Now reboot the phone into bootloader/fastboot mode. You can use the adb command:
Code:
adb reboot-bootloader
or else use hardware keys to reboot to bootloader mode.

• Make sure the phone is detected in fastboot mode. Then send the OEM unlocking command:
Code:
fastboot flashing unlock
• Confirm the unlock on the phone.
Nokia-7.2-UBL-prompt-500x375.jpg

• That's it!

You can also do the unlock_critical if you plan to flash the bootloader.

Last edited:

KohGeek

Dec 24, 2014
Kuantan
I am on a Nokia 7.2, a dual-sim variant with 6GB RAM and 128 GB ROM. The model name is TA-1196.

I am currently having issues with this method, whenever I try to flash unlock, prior to the V1.160 update, the fastboot will report back saying "Write to device failed (unknown error)".

If anyone would enlighten me I would be happy to hear.

Edit: Currently on build number 00WW_1_060

Edit 2.0: Works after updating to build 00WW_1_160. Seems Nokia enabled this method by mistake. Who knows?

Last edited:
Reactions: RootedLee

singhnsk

Nov 11, 2012
www.techmesto.com
I am on a Nokia 7.2, a dual-sim variant with 6GB RAM and 128 GB ROM. The model name is TA-1196.

I am currently having issues with this method, whenever I try to flash unlock, prior to the V1.160 update, the fastboot will report back saying "Write to device failed (unknown error)".

Edit 2.0: Works after updating to build 00WW_1_160. Seems Nokia enabled this method by mistake. Who knows?

Hi, looks like you were initially doing flash unlock instead of flashing unlock? And since there was nothing to flash, it failed.

singhnsk

Nov 11, 2012
www.techmesto.com
I was using flashing, and as my edit has said, it seems the option to unlock the bootloader was only enabled after version 160.

That's okay, but the output you got wasn't appropriate for that command. If the unlock support isn't allowed it will say "flashing unlock is not allowed". Or in case the bootloader isn't including that command at all, it will say "Unknown command".
I might be wrong too, but your output isn't something i've seen on any of the phones i've owned, whether unlockable or non-unlockable. That output is what I usually get when the command is not proper, or the drivers aren't properly installed or the fastboot device isn't properly responding. Rebooting to bootloader should usually fix it. At least it does on other Nokia and Sharp phones.

Last edited:

KohGeek

Dec 24, 2014
Kuantan
That's okay, but the output you got wasn't appropriate for that command. If the unlock support isn't allowed it will say "flashing unlock is not allowed". Or in case the bootloader isn't including that command at all, it will say "Unknown command".
I might be wrong too, but your output isn't something i've seen on any of the phones i've owned, whether unlockable or non-unlockable. That output is what I usually get when the command is not proper, or the drivers aren't properly installed or the fastboot device isn't properly responding. Rebooting to bootloader should usually fix it. At least it does on other Nokia and Sharp phones.

I was curious too, it kicked me off the bootloader screen when I was doing that on version 060, but it seems all is well now

Coolboy996

Nov 4, 2019
I unlocked bootloader now how to root this phone they didn't released kernel source for preparing twrp should i root the phone with magisk patched boot.img??

CGarz

Aug 14, 2011
Can confirm that it is still unlockable. Got 2 of them today from Argos in the UK (Scotland). They are on 00WW_1_130 with security batch from 2019/08/05.

Only thing I had to do was enable internet and reboot to get the option to stop being greyed out.

Last edited:

allc0re

Jul 16, 2011
Just got mine today and it forced a system update upon activation. I was unable to unlock the bootloader.

CGarz

Aug 14, 2011
Just got mine today and it forced a system update upon activation. I was unable to unlock the bootloader.

Are you sure? Has Horrendously Menacing Dicks actually started blocking people having reasonable control of their 7.2 devices after letting them have it for so long?

bkttk2

Jul 6, 2012
Midwest
I also can not unlock the bootloader after update security 05/12/2019...MB no longer unlockable bootloader any more.

Think we may be out of luck then, but one last suggestion. I noticed when reading through the thread on user indicated they were using "flash" instead of "flashing" when trying to unlock the bootloader.

I know I personally did the same thing at first. Did anyone confirm that "flashing" was used?

I know the older methods used flash. Just asking.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Nokia 7.2, surprisingly, comes with an unlockable bootloader. The information is shared by TechMesto and I am just re-using it to create this guide.

Notes:
    Unlocking the bootloader may void the device's warranty.
    All existing data on the device will be erased.

To unlock:
    Update: Nokia has disabled the unlock ability with the December MR. You can only unlock if you downgrade your phone to an old release first. You can get it at Nokia Care or by buying remote flashing services.

Before you start: Make sure that you have platform-tools downloaded on your PC. You need to open a CMD or Terminal window in the folder where you have saved the platform-tools, unless you have installed them system-wide.

• First of all, enable Developer Options by tapping 7 times on BuildID in "About phone".
    • Then go to developer options and enable OEM Unlocking option.
    • Now reboot the phone into bootloader/fastboot mode. You can use the adb command:
    Code:
    adb reboot-bootloader
    or else use hardware keys to reboot to bootloader mode.

• Make sure the phone is detected in fastboot mode. Then send the OEM unlocking command:
    Code:
    fastboot flashing unlock
    • Confirm the unlock on the phone.
    Nokia-7.2-UBL-prompt-500x375.jpg

• That's it!

You can also do the unlock_critical if you plan to flash the bootloader.
    If anyone does get a downgrade method working where the phone started with the crappy locked bootloader please post here how it's done. I would love it if this phone got some more developer love.

Code:
    fastboot getvar current-slot
    fastboot --set-active=b
    (Change the "b" in the above command to "a" if you currently active slot is "b".
    I think fastboot --set-active=other works as well.

I can't say about the stability and reliability of a custom ROM though. There are bugs, if you can live with those.

Currently running the Lineage rom. The broken things are:
    • Double tap to wake
    • NFC
    • Bluetooth media audio (phone works fine)
    • fingerprint scrolling (authentication works fine)
    • Camera quality is poor

Other than that though it's great. Personally prefer it much more than stock.

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

Oh one more question - once the bootloader is unlocked will OTA updates still work? If so, will installing them relock the bootloader?
    Hi, your updates should still work. The updates cannot lock the bootloader. Full updates will always install. Incremental updates will not install if you're rooted or you have tampered any of the device partitions.
    However, remember that not only did they disabled the ability to unlock, they have also disabled the ability to lock the bootloader. So, if at some point you'd wanna lock it, you'll have to downgrade the phone first.
    QFIL is unable to detect device nor the rom.
    I sent you one PM with more detailed explanation.
    Also, after almost 2 days of searching, im almost ready to give up on this.

QFIL needs the device in Qualcomm's EDL programmer mode (9008 QDLoader). The only way you can trigger EDL on the Nokia phones is by disassembling the device and shorting the respective pins on the mainboard. Even then, the official firmware does not come with an EMMC programmer file for the device. And we cannot use a generic file since that can permanetly corrupt the EMMC and/or the SOC's memory.
    The only meaningful means is via Nokia Care or using paid remote flashing services (which will use Nokia Care or other aftermarket paid tools) to perform a downgrade. The bootloader needs elevation before it will flash partitions on a locked bootloader. This is done by solving the one-time auth challenge and then passing the binary response to the device to get the repair permission up (
    Code:
    fastboot oem repair
    ). The only thing that can solve the challenge is an HMD Server which has the secret private key to sign the response after solving it in the required format. An unsigned response cannot work even if it carries the correct binary data within it.