[GUIDE] Update 20/02/14: HTC Desire S Guide (V1.04) For Newcomers to Android

• Thread starter Deleted member 2496007
  • Start date
Search This thread
D

Deleted member 2496007

As the title says, this is something I’ve done for newcomers to Android. It covers only the basics. Experienced Android users will already know this stuff.

I did it as I was always forwarding the same help/advice e-mails to my friends when they bought their HTC Android phones, so I made this to save me fishing out the same e-mails. It was originally for the Desire but I have brought it up to date for the Desire S.

I’ve seen a lot of the same questions being asked here on this Desire S forum. This should help some of you. As this phone currently has a locked up bootloader, the experienced ROM-flashing hardcore Android crowd will probably not pick up this phone. It’s more likely that it will be Android newcomers that buy the Desire S.

If this helps you out, great. :)

Updated 1st June 2011. Changelog;
  • Miscellaneous spelling errors and syntax adjusted and tweaked.
  • Incorporated your comments (e.g. adjusting Timeriffic capabilities)
  • Added a tutorial for getting started with Tasker!
  • Added a quick fix for the creaking battery cover issue.
  • Added clarification on some permissions on free ad-supported apps.
  • Added advice on dealing with App problems and using the marketplace feedback feature.
  • Added warning about Fastboot mode issues.

Updated 28th June 2011. Changelog;
  • Added Index
  • Added Ultimate Charging Tip - Get 24 hours instead of 12!

Updated 21st February 2014. Changelog;
  • Made some tweaks to allow for maturation of Android since 2011
  • Adjusted recommended Apps list to allow for changes since 2011

Disclaimer: I no longer have the Desire S or have any knowledge of the current ROMS available for it. For those reasons some of the info in this guide migt be outdated. Follow with caution, and perhaps feed back where it is wrong?

Download from my Dropbox (in .pdf format) here;

Edit: This dropbox link below will occasionally expire and stop working. Please let me know when it does and I'll refresh it ASAP. I'm subscribed to this thread with e-mail notification so (unless I'm mid ROM-flashing) I'll get your posts replied to quickly.

Link updated 23rd Jul 2014: https://www.dropbox.com/s/601j4ayswkzk9o0/HTC Desire S Owners Guide V1.04.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

igoivo

Jun 30, 2008
Thank you very much for the manual. Just three comments:
1) Many apps require web access to download adds. Thus, it's unavoidable for them to have the redundant permissions.
2) "Timeriffic" has not the option to tougle the sync, unfortunately.
3) Free "AutomateIt" (https://market.android.com/details?id=AutomateIt.mainPackage&feature=search_result ) has all the options you described for the paid "Tasker".

Last edited:
Reactions: korko21

Lyner24

Feb 6, 2009
Great guide! I'm sure alot of new android users will benefit from this. I agree with those methods to maximise battery life.

Thanks for your time and effort :) +1 for sticky

nodeffect

Mar 7, 2011
This is indeed very very very useful... I agreed, need to make this one sticky and updated! Thanks for your hard work man! :)

dont know

Feb 12, 2009
D

Deleted member 2496007

Glad it is of some help to people and thank you for the positive feedback everyone. I will get the guide updated when I get a few minutes. I'm away this weekend. I think I may add a Tasker guide!

Tasker can use GPS as a way of determining location, but you can use other ways. You can even control how often Tasker turns GPS on to get a location fix if you use it in a profile. For the most part, GPS is unnecessary as it is too accurate for most profile requirements. The best way Tasker does approximate location is using a state called, "Cell Near".

What this does is look at your nearest cell tower ID number and signal strength. When it see the right cell tower with the right signal strength, Tasker knows I'm at home. This is economical because it is only using 2G radio info which is on all the time anyway. Obviously it would also think I was home if I was on the same radius around the cell tower, but it's as accurate as I need for my "Home Mode" profile. Typically I see it activate as I am driving onto my estate where I live.

Tasker also knows which parameters in a profile use the least power, and will monitor those first and wait until they are satisfied before moving onto monitor the next parameter in a profile. For example, if you needed to use GPS for a very accurate location-based profile, you can keep power usage down by adding a "Time" context. Say you need your phone to send your wife a text message when you reach a certain point on your journey home after work each day. ("Get my dinner ready!" ;)) If you add a time context of "Between 5pm and 7pm" and "Monday to Friday" Tasker will wait until those are met before turning GPS on every X seconds to check where you are.

This way it doesn't hog battery power and my wife has time to get dressed and kick the postman out before I get back. :)

hernajl

Feb 17, 2008
Thanks for the guide ! I find it very useful: I've discovered some interesting applications ( I love TuneIt radio) and the tips to save battery are already really working for me

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA App

Last edited:

igoivo

Jun 30, 2008
AutomateIT starts GPS ervery time you set an location based trigger. Contraprodactive for battery saving - and not necessary (weather and other location based apps do it by a-gps)
Don't know if Tasker do start gps, but for me Automateit isn't a good choice..
I am sorry, but it's not right. In particular, "AutomateIt" has "Enable/Disable GPS" action, which you can use with either the location (home/office) or any location based application events.
An example: "Entering proximity region ... - disable GPS"
When GPS is disabled, "AutomateIt" can use the available networks only to detect the location. To this end, use the flag "Allow Coarse Accurasy", see the manual at http://muzikant-android.blogspot.com/2011/02/automateit-automate-your-android.html

Last edited:

slightowl

May 5, 2011
Obviously it would also think I was home if I was on the same radius around the cell tower, but it's as accurate as I need for my "Home Mode" profile. Typically I see it activate as I am driving onto my estate where I live.

I use another app called Llama. It's also a profile manager, doing basically the same thing as AutomateIT and Tasker, except that it can use not just gps and cell towers, but also wifi networks to recognise my location, so i don't have to keep gps turned on (which is a drain). But it tends to be quite a bit more accurate since wifi networks have a smaller radius. I set the app to recognise my "home" location not just by the cell towers in my area, but also my home wifi. So if i step outside to buy something, my phone would probably still connect to the same cell tower but as long as my phone loses the wifi connection (which happens about 10m away) it knows i'm not "home" anymore. It's pretty useful 'cause sometimes even when i'm a kilometer away, i'm already connected to the cell tower near my home.

But it works for me because i live in an apartment and my wifi network covers the whole house. For those of you who have lawns or backyards, i'm guessing your wifi might not cover those areas so it might not work for you.

But the best part of the app, which is mainly why i use it, is that its FREE. Oh, and the dev has a certain sense of humour.. it's less an app and more of a pet or assistant. You've gotta "train" your Llama to recognise the location. Cute, in a way.

Muzikant

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 3, 2011
www.automateitapp.com
I use another app called Llama. It's also a profile manager, doing basically the same thing as AutomateIT and Tasker, except that it can use not just gps and cell towers, but also wifi networks to recognise my location, so i don't have to keep gps turned on (which is a drain). But it tends to be quite a bit more accurate since wifi networks have a smaller radius.

Hi,
AutomateIt does exactly the same thing with wifi networks. Checking the "Allow coarse location" checkbox uses both cell location and wifi networks.

Also, if GPS is disabled, AutomateIt will not use it (but than you'll get less accurate location...). AutomateIt tries to minimize usage of GPS by allowing the user to define a sampling rate and timeout for getting a location fix so it will not continuously use the GPS. It also stops using the GPS as soon as it gets a location fix.

for more details see the post on location trigger tips & tricks on the developer's website.

Last edited:
Reactions: igoivo

GideonB234

May 26, 2011
Abbots Langley
Thank you for the guide, it's a very good guide :D

Also, about battery drain, I checked the usage info, it seems Zenonia is at the top of my list, I was playing it earlier, but I can't even see the settings anywhere near HTC Sense, what should I do?

Hapsnykel

Apr 12, 2011
Copenhagen
Seriously, don't know which of the tips did it, but somehow my battery lasts 50% longer. Thinking it might be the fact that I turned of the "call louder when in pocket"-thingy as you suggested.

Awesome noob guide. :)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA Premium App

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2496007

Should have clarified in my first post (sorry); The link is to download the file from my dropbox in .pdf format. If your browser doesn't have the appropriate plugin to directly view pdf files, use adobe 8+ reader.

It opens and reads well with the pdf reader included with the Desire S (sim free, unlocked).

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA Premium App

D

Deleted member 2496007

Updated to V1.02! See original post for new download link and change-log.

:)

dam2sekc

Apr 18, 2011
sydney
thanks for the awesome noob guide, worked wonders for me, with this being my first android smart phone. thanks again

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    D
    Deleted member 2496007
    As the title says, this is something I’ve done for newcomers to Android. It covers only the basics. Experienced Android users will already know this stuff.

I did it as I was always forwarding the same help/advice e-mails to my friends when they bought their HTC Android phones, so I made this to save me fishing out the same e-mails. It was originally for the Desire but I have brought it up to date for the Desire S.

I’ve seen a lot of the same questions being asked here on this Desire S forum. This should help some of you. As this phone currently has a locked up bootloader, the experienced ROM-flashing hardcore Android crowd will probably not pick up this phone. It’s more likely that it will be Android newcomers that buy the Desire S.

If this helps you out, great. :)

Updated 1st June 2011. Changelog;
    • Miscellaneous spelling errors and syntax adjusted and tweaked.
    • Incorporated your comments (e.g. adjusting Timeriffic capabilities)
    • Added a tutorial for getting started with Tasker!
    • Added a quick fix for the creaking battery cover issue.
    • Added clarification on some permissions on free ad-supported apps.
    • Added advice on dealing with App problems and using the marketplace feedback feature.
    • Added warning about Fastboot mode issues.

Updated 28th June 2011. Changelog;
    • Added Index
    • Added Ultimate Charging Tip - Get 24 hours instead of 12!

Updated 21st February 2014. Changelog;
    • Made some tweaks to allow for maturation of Android since 2011
    • Adjusted recommended Apps list to allow for changes since 2011

Disclaimer: I no longer have the Desire S or have any knowledge of the current ROMS available for it. For those reasons some of the info in this guide migt be outdated. Follow with caution, and perhaps feed back where it is wrong?

Download from my Dropbox (in .pdf format) here;

Edit: This dropbox link below will occasionally expire and stop working. Please let me know when it does and I'll refresh it ASAP. I'm subscribed to this thread with e-mail notification so (unless I'm mid ROM-flashing) I'll get your posts replied to quickly.

Link updated 23rd Jul 2014: https://www.dropbox.com/s/601j4ayswkzk9o0/HTC Desire S Owners Guide V1.04.pdf
    D
    Deleted member 2496007
    Glad it is of some help to people and thank you for the positive feedback everyone. I will get the guide updated when I get a few minutes. I'm away this weekend. I think I may add a Tasker guide!

Tasker can use GPS as a way of determining location, but you can use other ways. You can even control how often Tasker turns GPS on to get a location fix if you use it in a profile. For the most part, GPS is unnecessary as it is too accurate for most profile requirements. The best way Tasker does approximate location is using a state called, "Cell Near".

What this does is look at your nearest cell tower ID number and signal strength. When it see the right cell tower with the right signal strength, Tasker knows I'm at home. This is economical because it is only using 2G radio info which is on all the time anyway. Obviously it would also think I was home if I was on the same radius around the cell tower, but it's as accurate as I need for my "Home Mode" profile. Typically I see it activate as I am driving onto my estate where I live.

Tasker also knows which parameters in a profile use the least power, and will monitor those first and wait until they are satisfied before moving onto monitor the next parameter in a profile. For example, if you needed to use GPS for a very accurate location-based profile, you can keep power usage down by adding a "Time" context. Say you need your phone to send your wife a text message when you reach a certain point on your journey home after work each day. ("Get my dinner ready!" ;)) If you add a time context of "Between 5pm and 7pm" and "Monday to Friday" Tasker will wait until those are met before turning GPS on every X seconds to check where you are.

This way it doesn't hog battery power and my wife has time to get dressed and kick the postman out before I get back. :)
    D
    Deleted member 2496007
    any link for camera fir of jelly bean

Errrrr....here you go?

android_jelly_bean_-11384218-picsay.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium
    D
    Deleted member 2496007
    Tasker is a great way to spend hours tinkering just to save a couple of minutes of phone use, loads of settings and profiles. Had it a month and still tinkering. :D

sent from the thing I stab with my finger when I get two minutes

Don't forget to install the useful plugin called 'Secure Settings' from the market if you are rooted. Gets past certain Tasker limitations like being able to toggle GPS.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.intangibleobject.securesettings.plugin

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium
    AutomateIT starts GPS ervery time you set an location based trigger. Contraprodactive for battery saving - and not necessary (weather and other location based apps do it by a-gps)
    Don't know if Tasker do start gps, but for me Automateit isn't a good choice..
    I am sorry, but it's not right. In particular, "AutomateIt" has "Enable/Disable GPS" action, which you can use with either the location (home/office) or any location based application events.
    An example: "Entering proximity region ... - disable GPS"
    When GPS is disabled, "AutomateIt" can use the available networks only to detect the location. To this end, use the flag "Allow Coarse Accurasy", see the manual at http://muzikant-android.blogspot.com/2011/02/automateit-automate-your-android.html