[GUIDE] Update Epic 4G to Android 2.2.1 Froyo (DK28)

Search This thread

kennethpenn

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 29, 2006
Washington, D.C.
briefmobile.com
Guide: Install Android 2.2.1 Update DK28 on Epic 4G

UPDATE: Full SPH-D700-DK28-8g-rel.tar.md5 ODIN FLASH HERE.

Instructions: Update Android 2.2 Froyo for Epic 4G
Android 2.2 Epic 4G Instructions

Intended for those going from stock Android 2.1 (DI18) to the latest firmware. Others, see here and choose the alternate method using Odin.

1. Download the required update.zip file
    Mirror: http://www.multiupload.com/EBDH959PPM
    Mirror 2: http://vps.ian.im/update.zip
  2. RENAME the file to “update.zip” (If you get an error while flashing, your file might accidentally be named "update.zip.zip" due to Windows' file renaming system. Simply rename it to "update" to make it update.zip and flash)
  3. Move the file to your USB storage on the Epic 4G. Place it in the root folder, the highest up folder.
  4. Boot your device into “recovery mode” (if you don’t know how: click here)
  5. Apply the sdcard update.zip from Recovery Mode
  6. Congratulations! You now have Android 2.2.1 Froyo (DK28) on your Samsung Epic 4G from Sprint!

Frequently Asked Questions
  • Will I lose root?
    • Yes.
  • Can I still install themes?
    • Previous themes will probably be incompatible with this release until developers re-create them. Just know you will lose your themes.

Troubleshooting Errors
If you rooted with the old method from joeykrim, you'll need to re-root or un-root using the new method.

Once you've updated, you can One-Click Root!

Last edited by a moderator:

kennethpenn

Nov 29, 2006
Washington, D.C.
briefmobile.com
How do you move file to internal storage?

Plug in your device, you should get an option in Notifications bar to "mount USB storage" -- do that. Then you'll see the Epic 4G's internal storage has been mounted on your computer. From there you can copy-paste the update.zip to your device!

If you don't see that option in your notifications bar... try going into settings > Applications > and enable USB debugging. Then plug in your device and you can pull down the notifications bar and see Mount USB Storage.

ragnarokx

Sep 1, 2010
Southwest
And if you're already on Froyo, you can just use the .tar file. I noticed on your website it still says the .tar file is not available.

Testrunner

Jul 17, 2010
Highland
Rootable

If after applying this update will rooting still be possible using the current one click method?

Anyone try this yet?

viperacr99

Jul 8, 2009
Update from stock DI18 worked. When it loaded I got a message saying there was no update available, then it said I had the wrong password for my google account and I had to enter my password again. Seems normal otherwise.

kennethpenn

Nov 29, 2006
Washington, D.C.
briefmobile.com
Update from stock DI18 worked. When it loaded I got a message saying there was no update available, then it said I had the wrong password for my google account and I had to enter my password again. Seems normal otherwise.

That's odd. Might have something to do with checking for the update on Sprint's servers

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guide: Install Android 2.2.1 Update DK28 on Epic 4G

UPDATE: Full SPH-D700-DK28-8g-rel.tar.md5 ODIN FLASH HERE.

Instructions: Update Android 2.2 Froyo for Epic 4G

Intended for those going from stock Android 2.1 (DI18) to the latest firmware. Others, see here and choose the alternate method using Odin.

1. Download the required update.zip file
      Mirror: http://www.multiupload.com/EBDH959PPM
      Mirror 2: http://vps.ian.im/update.zip
    2. RENAME the file to “update.zip” (If you get an error while flashing, your file might accidentally be named "update.zip.zip" due to Windows' file renaming system. Simply rename it to "update" to make it update.zip and flash)
    3. Move the file to your USB storage on the Epic 4G. Place it in the root folder, the highest up folder.
    4. Boot your device into “recovery mode” (if you don’t know how: click here)
    5. Apply the sdcard update.zip from Recovery Mode
    6. Congratulations! You now have Android 2.2.1 Froyo (DK28) on your Samsung Epic 4G from Sprint!

Frequently Asked Questions
    • Will I lose root?
      • Yes.
    • Can I still install themes?
      • Previous themes will probably be incompatible with this release until developers re-create them. Just know you will lose your themes.

Troubleshooting Errors
    If you rooted with the old method from joeykrim, you'll need to re-root or un-root using the new method.

Once you've updated, you can One-Click Root!
    For people who are having problems with GPS, I would go back to the original
    DI18 and stay there until Sprint has an official statement (not a 3rd party website) if you do want to have problems with your GPS. Here are my steps for downgrading back to DI18.

1) Downloaded DI18.tar.md5 from http://www.multiupload.com/X9AB1U56JV
    2) Downloaded Odin from: http://www.sdx-downloads.com/devs/no...ndepic.pit.zip

3) Reboot PC (just in case) with no usb cables going to phone
    4) Remove battery on phone (just in case)
    5) Wait till PC has rebooted
    6) Put battery back in phone
    5) Put phone in download mode by pressing "1" on keyboard and powering up until you see the little yellow android digger
    7) Start Odin
    6) Plug in usb cable from your PC to your phone, you should see a yellow COM port (does not matter which COM port it is in). If does not work, you need to a) Make sure samsung drivers are downloaded b) Reboot PC
    8) Uncheck everything except "Auto Reboot"
    9) When using .md5 file, no pit file is needed so just click PDA and click on the corresponding file you downloaded for DI18
    When using .tar file, you must use the victory-8g-xx.pit file because the pit file tells Odin where to flash the file
    10) Hit Start and let it finish, took about 3 minutes for me.
    GPS fixed

My GPS is working now!! Here's How I fixed it without flashing back to stock....

When I first flashed DK28, the GPS appeared to fail. I know if a GPS does not have any GPS fix (ie. cold acquisition) it can take about 10-15 minutes for the GPS to get the location. On my old Touch Pro 2, I had the same issues every time I flashed my ROM... In order to speed up the satellite acquisition, I used a program called "QuickGPS" on Windows Mobile and it sped up the acquisition to a minute or two.

I found a program in the Android Market called "GPS Status" which does similar to QuickGPS. It's free. If you run it, go into the menu settings/ Tools / Manage A-GPS state / Reset / Download...

Once the A-GPS data is downloaded.... Back at the main menu you'll see a radar screen/compass... (Make sure to enable your GPS of course), and watch the "Fix" item and also the orange horizontal bar. You need three "Fixes" in order for it to get your GPS coordinates. MAKE SURE YOU PLACE YOUR PHONE NEAR A WINDOW TO SPEED UP THE ACQUISITION (or better yet, stand outside). I'm not sure if you need to keep your screen on for it to continue acquitision, but I did just in case.

It still took my Epic about 4 minutes to acquire location, but you can see how many GPS satellites it has acquired.

Hope this helps!!!! I thought I had broken GPS as well after flashing, however having dealt with this on the Touch Pro 2, this process seems to have helped me.
    All u have to do is download the file, rename it update(no need to add ".zip") move it to the root level of your sd card(if u don't kno what root means, u don't deserve a phone as the epic and should get a blackberry or something). Turn your phone off and turn back on holding the power,camera,and volume down button until u see the samsung word(not the galaxy "s" symbol, but the first screen that spells the word in whole. Release the buttons and u will be in in recovery mode. Navigate to the update.zip file and press the home button an your done! Hope this helps

Pretty cocky for a 1st post, don't ya think, Captain Obvious? Why are you reiterating what was already said in the first few pages of this entire thread, and then being partonizing when you can't even write a proper sentence? How about you learn the English language before you go telling people if they deserve a phone or not.

BTW - Know is spelled w/ a W, You is spelled w/ a Y and O in it, and your second sentence is missing a ) somewhere along the way.
    • Flashed back to the stock 2.1 using the steps described here.
    • Applied the update to 2.2.1 using the steps described here.
    • Downloaded the software described here to test GPS.

Thus far: no issues / no complaints

Now I just have to find a version of tun.ko that will work with it so that I can VPN to work again...