[GUIDE] Update XT1095 Pure Edition to Latest Android Lollipop *DISCONTINUED*

Search This thread

kcustom11

Sep 15, 2010
EDIT: just read to the bottom of the responses :p
Well if you're rooted, it won't work. The build in Android encryption tool doesn't work on rooted devices.
There are some workarounds I've seen out there, so juts look up Android encryption root on Google and see what comes up :D

Sent from my Moto X Pure Edition using Tapatalk

Had some success.
1. After upgrade to .11 and root install with CF-Root (I have stock recovery. It could work with TWRP)
2. reboot into safe mode (hold power off icon)
3. adb shell
4. su
5. pkill -KILL daemonsu
6. go immediately into security and encrypt device
7. phone reboots and then you'll see the encryption progress screen

Reactions: SolarTrans

SolarTrans

Feb 7, 2014
Portland, OR
Had some success.
1. After upgrade to .11 and root install with CF-Root (I have stock recovery. It could work with TWRP)
2. reboot into safe mode (hold power off icon)
3. adb shell
4. su
5. pkill -KILL daemonsu
6. go immediately into security and encrypt device
7. phone reboots and then you'll see the encryption progress screen
Awesome! Glad it worked out :D

SolarTrans

Feb 7, 2014
Portland, OR
Usb debugging on, RSA ok. rebooted in fastboot, your fastboot was on the folder, with the 4.4.4 files. Opent cmd, wrote all the commands.
Then it rebooted, and lollipop was still there!
As I've said before, DON'T use the fastboot with the 4.4.4 files. That doesn't do anything; I'm not sure why Motorola put it there. Use the one from the fastboot folder for your OS.

SolarTrans

Feb 7, 2014
Portland, OR
But i used urs, deleted the old and placed your in the fasboot folder
OK, you're definitely doing something wrong because if you flashed one thing properly it wouldn't continue to boot into Lollipop and function. Were any of your flashes successful+what were the errors if they weren't?

You need to have the fastboot file for your OS in the same folder as all of the extracted 4.4.4 image files on your PC before you flash anything.

motoxftw

Dec 8, 2014
what's the latest version?

It isn't listed on the original post. Second question, I flashed the leak ota via factory recovery and I just got an actual ota to 22.21.11 .victara_tmo.tmo.en.US . I have been following this post, going to update the way you described, but did it just get given to me?

SolarTrans

Feb 7, 2014
Portland, OR
It isn't listed on the original post. Second question, I flashed the leak ota via factory recovery and I just got an actual ota to 22.21.11 .victara_tmo.tmo.en.US . I have been following this post, going to update the way you described, but did it just get given to me?
Yeah if you got the actual OTA go ahead and take it! That's the same as what you'd flash from here :p

SolarTrans

Feb 7, 2014
Portland, OR
can I root on kitkat & still eventually upgrade to lollipop & root again?
Should work fine. I was rooted when I went to the first leaked version; you need to make sure you don't make any tweaks whatsoever though and put back the stock recovery when you flash the OTA.

xnifex

Jul 4, 2006
Phoenix
Should work fine. I was rooted when I went to the first leaked version; you need to make sure you don't make any tweaks whatsoever though and put back the stock recovery when you flash the OTA.

good to know, thanks for the info.

vamsi4u4me

Dec 8, 2014
Will I get official future updates If I apply the lollipop update from this Post?

First of all thanks for the guide and update! I have question that will I be getting the future updates to my device from Motorola ?? Is this the original non modified android lollipop which is same as the one which is released by Motorola?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

motoxftw

Dec 8, 2014
Yeah if you got the actual OTA go ahead and take it! That's the same as what you'd flash from here :p

For some reason I thought I was stuck on the leaked soak test, after I manually downloaded and flashed, but I guess since nothing was altered they went ahead and updated me to current OTA. That's awesome. Saves me some time, I just wasn't sure the version it updated to was current.

SolarTrans

Feb 7, 2014
Portland, OR
First of all thanks for the guide and update! I have question that will I be getting the future updates to my device from Motorola ?? Is this the original non modified android lollipop which is same as the one which is released by Motorola?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
Yup you'll be getting all future OTA updates if you're on an XT1095 pure edition ;)

SolarTrans

Feb 7, 2014
Portland, OR
For some reason I thought I was stuck on the leaked soak test, after I manually downloaded and flashed, but I guess since nothing was altered they went ahead and updated me to current OTA. That's awesome. Saves me some time, I just wasn't sure the version it updated to was current.
Nice! Glad that worked out :D

Kodiak1

Apr 27, 2012
Vancouver
Yup you'll be getting all future OTA updates if you're on an XT1095 pure edition ;)

Does this comment about future updates hold true if I'm coming from an XT1097 converted to the XT1095 PE ROM?

If true, I'm assuming that once converted to XT1095, OTA updates will come directly from Moto servers instead of the carriers?

I've only flashed Nexus devices before, so this process seems a bit intimidating to me, but if this puts me on an entirely different upgrade path, then it's absolutely worth the switch imo.

Thanks for all of the hard work. I've read through all 28 pages.

SolarTrans

Feb 7, 2014
Portland, OR
Does this comment about future updates hold true if I'm coming from an XT1097 converted to the XT1095 PE ROM?

If true, I'm assuming that once converted to XT1095, OTA updates will come directly from Moto servers instead of the carriers?

I've only flashed Nexus devices before, so this process seems a bit intimidating to me, but if this puts me on an entirely different upgrade path, then it's absolutely worth the switch imo.

Thanks for all of the hard work. I've read through all 28 pages.

If you're converted then no. But it could. If you are using the Pure Edition modem it should be fine, but if you're using a Brazilian modem like many with 1097s are, you'll have to continually flash back to stock and then to your backup after the update.

Again, I don't have a 1097, but I'm pretty sure that if you flash the factory firmware for the 1095 you'll be good to go for 1095 OTAs. I'd try flashing to stock 4.4.4 and seeing if you get the Lollipop OTA alert. That would clear things up immediately.

Reactions: Kodiak1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, there's been a lot of confusion about over in the 5.0 OTA thread about how to get onto the latest build of Lollipop.

**********UPDATE********
    Sorry guys, I no longer have a Moto X and as such have to discontinue support for the downloads in this thread; I can no longer keep up with a device I don't have :p
    If you can get the files I mention elsewhere, most of these instructions should remain applicable.

So how does one get onto the latest OFFICIAL build of Android 5.0 on their Moto X 2014 Pure Edition (XT1095)? Here's how (and it most likely involves a data wipe)

Have an XT1092 or XT1097? Well fear not! It's easy to convert.

Follow this guide later in the thread (thanks to@steff999 for this!):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=56700701

And if you have cellular problems on your 1092 or 1097, follow this post by @sbtm1337:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=56778275

****If you damage anything in the process, it's no one's fault but yours (it's hard to mess this up, though :p)****

Step 0:
    Make sure you have basic fastboot and adb knowledge; have Motorola drivers on your computer.
    Enable USB debugging on your phone if you haven't yet.
    Then, go to the home screen. Plug in the USB cable into your computer, and then into your phone.

If you haven't done anything like this before, it should prompt you for RSA authorization. Check always allow, and then yes.

Step 1:
    Determine where you are in the process.

You can be in one of 5 places:

A: On 4.4.4 KitKat, un-tampered
    B: On 4.4.4 KitKat, tampered (root, /system mods, etc.)
    C: On 5.0 Lollipop LXE22.39-6 un-tampered
    D: On 5.0 Lollipop LXE22.39-6 tampered
    E: On ANY other version

If option A, go to step 4 (no wipe!)
    If option C, go to step Q (keep your data :p)
    If option B, D, or E, go to step 2 (gonna have to wipe...)

******Unless you're on option A or C, you NEED an unlocked bootloader!******

Step 2:
    Download the stock 4.4.4 firmware.
    It's on Motorola's site, but you have to request access and wait a while. I've mirrored it in .zip form for easy access:
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=227F163CB35629DA!20267&authkey=!AMWPTB3ICDtezYs&ithint=folder,

Extract the .zip on your PC. On OneDrive, open the Moto Fastboot folder and download the fastboot corresponding to your OS (Windows or Linux, no Moto Fastboot exists for Mac unfortunately).

***Take the fastboot file here and replace the one in whatever directory you have your current one***

***Move the files from the 4.4.4 Firmware to the same place you have the new fastboot.***

***There may be a file called fastboot in the 4.4.4 Firmware folder. Delete that, you only need the one from OneDrive***

Step 3:
    Reboot your device to fastboot.

Enter these commands:

fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
    fastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
    fastboot reboot-bootloader
    fastboot flash logo logo.bin
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot flash system system.img
    fastboot erase modemst1
    fastboot erase modemst2
    fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    fastboot erase userdata
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot reboot

Don't sign into any accounts, and skip all the setup.

Step 4:
    Now, download the 4.4.4 to 5.0 OTA zip from here:
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=227F163CB35629DA!20267&authkey=!AMWPTB3ICDtezYs&ithint=folder,

Put it in the download folder of your Moto X.

Step 5:
    Reboot to stock recovery. Once you see the Android and a red triangle above it, press volume up for 3 sec and then lock right afterwards. Then let go immediately.
    Select "apply update from sdcard".
    Navigate to your download directory, and select the update zip.
    Let it flash.
    Reboot.

Step 6 **IMPORTANT**:
    Now you've got L! But... Not so fast.

Skip through the setup, and go to factory reset in settings (enjoying the beauty along the way).

Here's why: Android L has 256-bit encryption (up from 128-bit on KitKat), however it only takes effect if you factory reset within L.
    It's ultimately up to you whether you reset or not, but coming from a clean KitKat install like most this is a great benefit for little effort.

If you've made it this far without a wipe and don't want to re-set up your phone, it will work without it, but to ensure smooth operation and for security purposes I'd highly recommend the reset (many who haven't done this reset have reported numerous FCs and other issues as well).

Step Q:
    All you have to do now is download the 5.0-6 to 5.0-11 OTA from my OneDrive and flash it in stock recovery. Not much to it!

*If you have an alternate modem, you'll be ineligible for this .6-.11 OTA. It's likely that you'll have to wipe, flash 4.4.4, and redo the steps it took to get you to -6 but with the -11 OTA file.*

And...
    BAM!
    LOLLIPOP!
    YEAHHH BUDDY

Enjoy ;)

Hope this helps some folks! Hit the thanks button if it does!

Update on xt1092 worked! I did this:

1. Downloaded the 4.4.4 system image from xt1905 (first post for download link)
    2. Extracted the zip
    3. flashed over mfastboot.exe
    Code:
    mfastboot flash logo logo.bin
    mfastboot flash boot boot.img
    mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    mfastboot flash system system.img
    mfastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    mfastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    mfastboot erase cache
    mfastboot erase userdata
    4. sideloaded the OTA update from first post
    5. reboot
    6. flashed back the original modem and fsg from xt1902, without erasing modemst1 and modemst2 -> https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95784891001608300

I don't take any responsibility for bricked devices.
    YES!
    I finally have Lollipop on my XT1092!!

I followed steff999's guide but encountered several problems with the modem and data connections etc.

I just couldn't figure out why flashing the XT1092 modem files didn't work.

Then I went back to my original firmware and did the procedure again.

But now I did not let it boot after the OTA Update and directly booted into fastboot mode and flashed the modem and fsg files.

Then after reboot I immediately had mobile service. IMEI and Baseband is back again.

I use Linux and it is very easy with Linux.

In a terminal just go to the folder with the files (no matter where they are!!).
    After getting Android SDK I did:
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install android-tools-fastboot <<-- to install fastboot
    $ cd /directory with your files...<<--- choose your folder
    $ fastboot flash logo logo.bin

etc

after flashing the files put OTA.zip on phone. Go in recovery mode and apply update.

Then when it reboots directly go in fastboot mode and type:
    $ cd /directory with your XT1092 modem files/
    $ fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    $ fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    $ fastboot reboot

now it boots into lollipop and it should recognize your sim card.

This is how it worked for me with Linux. Should be similar with Windows but I think the files for flashing have to be in fastboot directory then.

I did not use erase modem commands

I hope this will give hope back to people who encountered similar problems with the modem. I was about to give up but decided to give it a last try.

bye :)
    Kinda, in the sense that they'll post full firmwares online for it.

For whatever reason though, they don't want to give us warranty if we unlock (which many will/want to).

Your warranty is still in tack according to Motorola. I asked on Twitter and got this response:
    https://twitter.com/MotorolaSupport/status/527586293531041792?cn=cmVwbHk=
    Update on xt1092 worked! I did this:

1. Downloaded the 4.4.4 system image from xt1905 (first post for download link)
    2. Extracted the zip
    3. flashed over mfastboot.exe
    Code:
    mfastboot flash logo logo.bin
    mfastboot flash boot boot.img
    mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    mfastboot flash system system.img
    mfastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    mfastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    mfastboot erase cache
    mfastboot erase userdata
    4. sideloaded the OTA update from first post
    5. reboot
    6. flashed back the original modem and fsg from xt1902, without erasing modemst1 and modemst2 -> https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95784891001608300

I don't take any responsibility for bricked devices.

My friend, thank you very much for your help! Using your instructions of flash back the original modem and fsg from my XT1097 without erase modemst1 and modemst2 , I've finally converted my Brazilian XT1097 into a XT1095. :good:
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone