• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE][UPDATED] Unlocking JioFi 3 JMR540 & JMR541 for all networks

Search This thread

Waishshaikh

Jan 21, 2016
In JMR541_unlocked working "Airtel" but "Vi" is not working Uttar Pradesh (Prayagraj)...
Same here in my JMR540, Vi is not working but Airtel is working perfectly. Because of jiofi support these band Band 3/5/40 i.e. 1800/850/2300. And none of them is used by Vi so not getting connected. Try calling Vi to fix it using pretext that Vi is sim not working in Dongle (say other sim like jio Airtel is working) . Dont tell them it's jiofi. 😆 Tell them dongle is of huawei.

Reactions: vasanthraja14

Chandra kanth.

Mar 26, 2018
Unlocked Firmware for JioFi 3 JMR540 & JMR541

Disclaimer
I am not responsible for any kind of damage to your device.
Use this firmware at your own risk
Post is for educational purpose only.

ONLY FOR JMR 540 & JMR 541

I was able to dump and reverse engineer JioFi 3's firmware to see if I can unlock the SIM restrictions. JioFi 3 is designed by Foxconn it uses generic firmware. Unlocking took time though. Tested with Vi, Airtel.

Guide

Make sure you're on same firmware version
  • JMR 540 - FXN_JMR540_R6.16
  • JMR 541 - FXN_JMR541_R3.10
If not please use the device for sometime it'll autoupdate.

1. Locate your device model and download the respective Firmware and extract it to a known location

2. Install drivers and tools (skip if already installed)

• Install Fastboot drivers ( google it for mac and linux it's easy to find)
  • Install Fastboot ( google it for mac and linux it's easy to find)

3. Prepare device

• Remove battery from JioFi 3
  • Locate reset pin hole button
  • Lay down JioFi 3
  • Use Paper Clip / SIM Ejector Tool to press button inside (using sharp object is not recommended)
  • Keep pressing button down and insert USB cable
  • Release button as soon as all the LEDs in Display turns RED. This means device is in boot loader mode

4. Flashing Unlocked Firmware

• Open adb and fastboot tools terminal
  • Enter following to check if device is connected

• fastboot devices

• It will return something like this
  • baxxxxx fastboot

• This means device is connected. If your device doesn't show up here please check drivers in Device manager
  • Now first erase the system partition

• fastboot erase system

• erasing 'system'... OKAY [ 1.104s] finished. total time: 1.105s

• Now flash the firmware
  • fastboot flash system "D:\system.img" ( replace path )

• It should return something like this
  • sending 'system' (34306 KB)... OKAY [ 1.276s] writing 'system'... OKAY [ 9.462s] finished. total time: 10.741s

• Now send reboot command to device
  • fastboot reboot

• You'll notice device will reboot normally now you can unplug the cable.

Congratulations your device is now unlocked and you can reinsert battery and another SIM for testing.

Firmware will take long time than usual to boot do not panic.

4. Changing APN
  • Insert SIM connect with JioFi 3 wait it to intialize
  • Open Web UI from browser (http://jiofi.local.html/)
  • Now login (default username/pwd is administrator/administrator)
  • In Network Tab you'll find setting for changing APN
  • Put it on manual and enter "internet" as APN (without quotes)
  • Hit apply/save device will reboot again automatically and it'll auto connect
  • Just wait patience is the key here it'll connect.

If something goes WRONG or you want to UNDO you can re flash original firmware which is provided in this post.

Original backup

FAQs

1. Q. My device is not visible in fastboot devices
    A. Confirm driver installation a faulty cable can also be the issue.
  2. Q. Everything went well but still no changes in dashboard
    A. After successful flash if you still don't see the changes your device is probably booting from recovery partition. Try flashing recovery partition by
    fastboot erase recoveryfs
    fastboot flash recoveryfs "D:\system.img"

3. Q. After resetting device from pin hole button it shows INVALID SIM.
    A. This is supposed to happen just reboot the device it'll work again.
  4. Q. Can I undo all this and get back to original firmware
    A. Yes just flash the original firmware provided in post and reset the device.

Mentions:
Thanks to
Karuppusamy for testing it on JMR541.

What about JioFi 2, 4, 5, 6?
Reverse Engineering takes lot of time and coffee. Until I get physical access to device I won't be able to unlock it. I'm constantly searching them on OLX as soon as I get hands on I'll surely try to RE and unlock it. I'll update the same here if there is no update here at the time of your reading then I haven't got the device yet so please don't spam for update hope you understand that I don't get anything by doing these things, I do it for liberation of locked hardware to meet it's real destiny and of course for the people. I also have a day job so no I cannot guide or teach you, hope you understand why.

orginal backup doesn't working after falshing wifi not showing

anoopkesh

Nov 1, 2015
Thanks for the post....I have jiofi3 jmr40....after few days of using airtel sim on my jiofi, it detected my sim and it showing invalid sim...do I have to do unlocking everytime or there is any way around???

vysakhs

Aug 3, 2021
My device after a 1 month of usage automatically go back to its original firmware,
Then I again install the hacked firmware, then it works again.
Is it because this device automatically updating with newest stock firmware .
Jmr540

chaitanyakorde

Jan 2, 2017
Thank you very much @abhimortal6 for the hack. I was successfully able to unlock my JMR541 and use Airtel. I came across an issue which I want to share as there may be others having similar issue.

I am using Windows 10 Pro as well as Home (2 different laptops). I installed all the pre-requisite software (ADB & Drivers etc) & connected the device in bootloader mode but it failed to install my device & showed a question mark against it in the Device Manager. I tried reinstalling the drivers quite a few times through different versions of ADB Setup as well.

Also tried to install it via Windows Update but no success. Later, I let the Windows Update check for updates and then to my surprise, an update showed up in Optional Updates for Android Device. I quickly installed it. After installing, it finally detected my device and I was able to complete the process.

Last edited:
Reactions: abhimortal6
Jun 6, 2018
What about this original jiofo. Would be great if you can do it for this device too
Screenshot_20210916-174015_Google.png

sdomermpc

Aug 15, 2014
Thank you very much @abhimortal6 for the hack. I was successfully able to unlock my JMR541 and use Airtel. I came across an issue which I want to share as there may be others having similar issue.

I am using Windows 10 Pro as well as Home (2 different laptops). I installed all the pre-requisite software (ADB & Drivers etc) & connected the device in bootloader mode but it failed to install my device & showed a question mark against it in the Device Manager. I tried reinstalling the drivers quite a few times through different versions of ADB Setup as well.

Also tried to install it via Windows Update but no success. Later, I let the Windows Update check for updates and then to my surprise, an update showed up in Optional Updates for Android Device. I quickly installed it. After installing, it finally detected my device and I was able to complete the process.
For devices not detecting in fastboot, (or detecting in adb but not fastboot)
1. Open device manager
2. Select usb device, open properties,then driver tab
3. Click update driver, "browse my computer for drivers",
Then"let me pick from list"
4. Select "google" in manufacturer, and "Android bootloader interface" in model
5. Click yes
Now Check in cmd , with command "fastboot devices" hopefully the device will detect

chaitanyakorde

Jan 2, 2017
For devices not detecting in fastboot, (or detecting in adb but not fastboot)
1. Open device manager
2. Select usb device, open properties,then driver tab
3. Click update driver, "browse my computer for drivers",
Then"let me pick from list"
4. Select "google" in manufacturer, and "Android bootloader interface" in model
5. Click yes
Now Check in cmd , with command "fastboot devices" hopefully the device will detect
I managed to fix the issue, but thanks for the tips anyway...

Jan 8, 2018

Disclaimer

I was able to dump and reverse engineer JioFi 3's firmware to see if I can unlock the SIM restrictions. JioFi 3 is designed by Foxconn it uses generic firmware. Unlocking took time though. Tested with Vi, Airtel.

Guide

Make sure you're on same firmware version

1. Locate your device model and download the respective Firmware and extract it to a known location

3. Prepare device

• Lay down JioFi 3
  • Use Paper Clip / SIM Ejector Tool to press button inside (using sharp object is not recommended)
  • Release button as soon as all the LEDs in Display turns RED. This means device is in boot loader mode

• fastboot devices

• baxxxxx fastboot

• This means device is connected. If your device doesn't show up here please check drivers in Device manager

• fastboot erase system

• Now flash the firmware

• sending 'system' (34306 KB)... OKAY [ 1.276s] writing 'system'... OKAY [ 9.462s] finished. total time: 10.741s

• fastboot reboot

Congratulations your device is now unlocked and you can reinsert battery and another SIM for testing.

4. Changing APN

If something goes WRONG or you want to UNDO you can re flash original firmware which is provided in this post.

Original backup

FAQs

A. After successful flash if you still don't see the changes your device is probably booting from recovery partition. Try flashing recovery partition by

Mentions:
Thanks to

Reverse Engineering takes lot of time and coffee. Until I get physical access to device I won't be able to unlock it. I'm constantly searching them on OLX as soon as I get hands on I'll surely try to RE and unlock it. I'll update the same here if there is no update here at the time of your reading then I haven't got the device yet so please don't spam for update hope you understand that I don't get anything by doing these things, I do it for liberation of locked hardware to meet it's real destiny and of course for the people. I also have a day job so no I cannot guide or teach you, hope you understand why.

chaitanyakorde

Jan 2, 2017
Bro it's work but now it automatically update to its original firmware after flash please help
You need to flash your recovery partition as well. Check FAQs of the article.
Q. Everything went well but still no changes in dashboard
A. After successful flash if you still don't see the changes your device is probably booting from recovery partition. Try flashing recovery partition b
fastboot flash recoveryfs "D:\system.img" y

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    after knowing from u guys about recent update pushed by jio my device wasn't updated so i instantly removed the sim and waiting for update from abhi
    For Jio --- guys u have stopped selling this or selling in 5k -6k like black marketing and nor your devices are built well, if someone has unlocked it what's the problem you have not pushed any update to other models which were previously unlocked now those devices are being sold at higher prices. I am happy that airtel and vi are here otherwise your greediness to capture everything would have led us to ______ no words to describe'
    You can install and test patched firmware auto updates are patched and disabled now, link is in original post. Devices which are already updated, there is no easy fix for them right now. Jio loves their users aww ( throws JioFi in space ).
    You can install and test patched firmware auto updates are patched and disabled now, link is in original post. Devices which are already updated, there is no easy fix for them right now. Jio loves their users aww ( throws JioFi in space ).
    Could you please teach us how to patch such roms. specially fiofi roms so entire community will rip this fio monopoly.
    My wifi gets automatically turned off exactly at 12 in morning and night, does any else facing the same issue?
    My wifi gets automatically turned off exactly at 12 in morning and night, does any else facing the same issue?
    Yes,I am also facing same issue. I first thought I had an issue with my charger and I had tried with many chargers but issue had not resolved.
    hey, i did unlocked Firmware v6.16 of JioFi 3 JMR540 few weeks back. And using it with my idea sim till yesterday night. And everything was working fine. But yesterday I left my jiofi on whole night. And In morning I find that the router is not recognizing my Voda-idea sim. And after checking WebUI, I got to know that the firmware is updated to 6.20, And webUi has gone now. Hoping you might have solutions, Btw thanks for your efforts.
    Same Happened to me tonight.

Disclaimer

UPDATE 17-10-21: Jio pushed a firmware update which is locking boot loader. If your device is not updated yet it is advised to re-flash your firmware with patched image given below which basically disables auto updates. If you're already locked out, currently there's no easy fix for that.

If you haven't used your device from a long time or you're still on lower or equal version than below it is advised not to use JioFi with SIM, flash this firmware first if you want to test SIM unlock.

Guide

Make sure you're on same or lower firmware version

3. Prepare device

• Lay down JioFi 3

• fastboot devices

• baxxxxx fastboot

• fastboot erase system

• Now flash the firmware

• fastboot reboot

4. Changing APN

Original backup

FAQs

5. Q. I 'accidentally' flashed my recovery and boot partition
      A. Well accidentally I've backed up recovery and boot download from below

JMR540_boot_recovery.rar
      2. JMR541_boot_recovery.rar
    6. Q. FAILED: (remote: Image is locked) issue while erasing/flashing image
      A. Jio recently pushed an firmware update which re-locks simlock and bootloader which basically means you can't flash unsigned/custom firmware. Currently there is no fix.

Mentions:
    Thanks to

after knowing from u guys about recent update pushed by jio my device wasn't updated so i instantly removed the sim and waiting for update from abhi
    For Jio --- guys u have stopped selling this or selling in 5k -6k like black marketing and nor your devices are built well, if someone has unlocked it what's the problem you have not pushed any update to other models which were previously unlocked now those devices are being sold at higher prices. I am happy that airtel and vi are here otherwise your greediness to capture everything would have led us to ______ no words to describe'
    bro is unlocking more 4g bands or manual selection of bands can be done ?
    Totally possible even 3G but it can't be done through WebUI it'll requires shell access.
    Working fine but only one issue that it is auto updating to official firmware within couple of days and we need to redo the entire process again.
    Any way to stop the auto update of firmware
    1622625406032.jpeg

This is completely genius! I am now able to use Airtel sim on my JioFi! Thanks!