• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE][UPDATED] Unlocking JioFi 3 JMR540 & JMR541 for all networks

Search This thread

vysakhs

Aug 3, 2021
Can you guys confirm if u guys who got firmware update have u had jiofi running on battery or any of u were running without battery just directly with charger?

coz I have been using jiofi on charger and haven't recieved this update yet , I m still on modded firmware
First wifi will turn off, then they run the upadate, if your wifi is inactive for 3 hours update will be roll out

rpati

Oct 16, 2021
hi. It was working fine for first few months but i faced a certain issue that it automatically flashed the original version by itself despite flashing both system and recoveryfs. And now it has rebooted itself to original version and when i am following your steps to erase system, it shows FAILED "remote:Image is locked". please help with this.

• Wow
Reactions: spydude99

Ranaji12

Oct 16, 2021
Sir Jmr 541 unlocked successfully completed VI Sim Work Smoothly
But
Sir Jiofi Jmr 541 has locked by Jio server after 5 days then show Image is locked after fastboot erase system cmd .
Now Jmr 541 not flashing by your method .
Please any solution

• Wow

virusdata

Oct 16, 2021
Hello @abhimortal6,
Your unlocking process was absolutely great but these people now have rolled out new firmware which locks the bootloader. Tried unlocking but it didn't help. Nevertheless Thanks for the unlock process.

1634363018905.png

1634363039634.png

• Wow

yashtronx

Oct 16, 2021
after knowing from u guys about recent update pushed by jio my device wasn't updated so i instantly removed the sim and waiting for update from abhi
For Jio --- guys u have stopped selling this or selling in 5k -6k like black marketing and nor your devices are built well, if someone has unlocked it what's the problem you have not pushed any update to other models which were previously unlocked now those devices are being sold at higher prices. I am happy that airtel and vi are here otherwise your greediness to capture everything would have led us to ______ no words to describe'

Last edited:

kethan krk

Jun 2, 2020
my JMR 541 firmware got updated on last sep 2021 its now its FXN_JMR541_R3.16
and while erasing the system it says that the "image is locked"
can i downgrade the firmware? or can i unlock the image?
the current firmware is stuck in ipv6 and i am not able to switch it to ipv4.

• Wow

abhimortal6

Mar 6, 2014
Gwalior
after knowing from u guys about recent update pushed by jio my device wasn't updated so i instantly removed the sim and waiting for update from abhi
For Jio --- guys u have stopped selling this or selling in 5k -6k like black marketing and nor your devices are built well, if someone has unlocked it what's the problem you have not pushed any update to other models which were previously unlocked now those devices are being sold at higher prices. I am happy that airtel and vi are here otherwise your greediness to capture everything would have led us to ______ no words to describe'
You can install and test patched firmware auto updates are patched and disabled now, link is in original post. Devices which are already updated, there is no easy fix for them right now. Jio loves their users aww ( throws JioFi in space ).

Last edited:

manjifera

Sep 28, 2011
You can install and test patched firmware auto updates are patched and disabled now, link is in original post. Devices which are already updated, there is no easy fix for them right now. Jio loves their users aww ( throws JioFi in space ).
Could you please teach us how to patch such roms. specially fiofi roms so entire community will rip this fio monopoly.

akhil1987c

Jun 11, 2021
I was unlocked my JMR 541(JMR 541 - FXN_JMR541_R3.10) 3 month ago as per your process and it was working fine but yesterday it's got auto updated and version showing as JMR 541 - FXN_JMR541_R3.16 now and
locked by Jio network and now unable to use other sim so again tried to unlock with your process but getting error (remote: Image is locked) please work on it to crack this issue.

Thanks

• Haha

yashtronx

Oct 16, 2021
Let us know if it's working fine..
I don't use it all through the day so cant confirm about no updates if i do somehow receive later as of now
But firmware working fine flashed both recoveryfs and system with latest patched one
Tested Airtel Working fine
Hopefully it doesn't get updated and work fine after reset too
Thanks again

• Wow

net8

Feb 18, 2012
How were you able to dump rom partitions?
Please answer if you are willing to share that info. I can try other models if possible.
Please...

• Wow

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Unlocked Firmware for JioFi 3 JMR540 & JMR541

Disclaimer
    I am not responsible for any kind of damage to your device.
    Use this firmware at your own risk
    Post is for educational purpose only.

ONLY FOR JMR 540 & JMR 541

I was able to dump and reverse engineer JioFi 3's firmware to see if I can unlock the SIM restrictions. JioFi 3 is designed by Foxconn it uses generic firmware. Unlocking took time though. Tested with Vi, Airtel.

UPDATE 17-10-21: Jio pushed a firmware update which is locking boot loader. If your device is not updated yet it is advised to re-flash your firmware with patched image given below which basically disables auto updates. If you're already locked out, currently there's no easy fix for that.

If you haven't used your device from a long time or you're still on lower or equal version than below it is advised not to use JioFi with SIM, flash this firmware first if you want to test SIM unlock.

Guide

Make sure you're on same or lower firmware version
    • JMR 540 - FXN_JMR540_R6.16
    • JMR 541 - FXN_JMR541_R3.10
    If not please use the device for sometime it'll autoupdate.

1. Locate your device model and download the respective Firmware and extract it to a known location

2. Install drivers and tools (skip if already installed)

• Install Fastboot drivers ( google it for mac and linux it's easy to find)
    • Install Fastboot ( google it for mac and linux it's easy to find)

3. Prepare device

• Remove battery from JioFi 3
    • Locate reset pin hole button
    • Lay down JioFi 3
    • Use Paper Clip / SIM Ejector Tool to press button inside (using sharp object is not recommended)
    • Keep pressing button down and insert USB cable
    • Release button as soon as all the LEDs in Display turns RED. This means device is in boot loader mode

4. Flashing Unlocked Firmware

• Open adb and fastboot tools terminal
    • Enter following to check if device is connected

• fastboot devices

• It will return something like this
    • baxxxxx fastboot

• This means device is connected. If your device doesn't show up here please check drivers in Device manager
    • Now first erase the system partition

• fastboot erase system

• erasing 'system'... OKAY [ 1.104s] finished. total time: 1.105s

• Now flash the firmware
    • fastboot flash system "D:\system.img" ( replace path )

• It should return something like this
    • sending 'system' (34306 KB)... OKAY [ 1.276s] writing 'system'... OKAY [ 9.462s] finished. total time: 10.741s

• Now send reboot command to device
    • fastboot reboot

• You'll notice device will reboot normally now you can unplug the cable.

Congratulations your device is now unlocked and you can reinsert battery and another SIM for testing.

Firmware will take long time than usual to boot do not panic.

4. Changing APN
    • Insert SIM connect with JioFi 3 wait it to intialize
    • Open Web UI from browser (http://jiofi.local.html/)
    • Now login (default username/pwd is administrator/administrator)
    • In Network Tab you'll find setting for changing APN
    • Put it on manual and enter "internet" as APN (without quotes)
    • Hit apply/save device will reboot again automatically and it'll auto connect
    • Just wait patience is the key here it'll connect.

If something goes WRONG or you want to UNDO you can re flash original firmware which is provided in this post.

Original backup

FAQs

1. Q. My device is not visible in fastboot devices
      A. Confirm driver installation a faulty cable can also be the issue.
    2. Q. Everything went well but still no changes in dashboard
      A. After successful flash if you still don't see the changes your device is probably booting from recovery partition. Try flashing recovery partition by
      fastboot erase recoveryfs
      fastboot flash recoveryfs "D:\system.img"

3. Q. After resetting device from pin hole button it shows INVALID SIM.
      A. This is supposed to happen just reboot the device it'll work again.
    4. Q. Can I undo all this and get back to original firmware
      A. Yes just flash the original firmware provided in post and reset the device.
    5. Q. I 'accidentally' flashed my recovery and boot partition
      A. Well accidentally I've backed up recovery and boot download from below

JMR540_boot_recovery.rar
      2. JMR541_boot_recovery.rar
    6. Q. FAILED: (remote: Image is locked) issue while erasing/flashing image
      A. Jio recently pushed an firmware update which re-locks simlock and bootloader which basically means you can't flash unsigned/custom firmware. Currently there is no fix.

Mentions:
    Thanks to
    Karuppusamy for testing it on JMR541.

What about JioFi 2, 4, 5, 6?
    Reverse Engineering takes lot of time and coffee. Until I get physical access to device I won't be able to unlock it. I'm constantly searching them on OLX as soon as I get hands on I'll surely try to RE and unlock it. I'll update the same here if there is no update here at the time of your reading then I haven't got the device yet so please don't spam for update hope you understand that I don't get anything by doing these things, I do it for liberation of locked hardware to meet it's real destiny and of course for the people. I also have a day job so no I cannot guide or teach you, hope you understand why.

Thanks a lot @abhimortal6 . The guide was very simple and easy to follow for layman like me. My airtel sim now works for me on my JioFi jmr541. Thank you!
    One question abhi bro.. I have already patched this firmware and it is working fine.Thanks for your hardwork. ❤️But will this firmware be erased and go back to locked firmware if i hard reset my device(forgot password )
    One question abhi bro.. I have already patched this firmware and it is working fine.Thanks for your hardwork. ❤️But will this firmware be erased and go back to locked firmware if i hard reset my device(forgot password )
    Hi thanks, read point 3 from FAQ section.
    Unlocked Firmware for JioFi 3 JMR540 & JMR541

Disclaimer
    I am not responsible for any kind of damage to your device.
    Use this firmware at your own risk
    Post is for educational purpose only.

ONLY FOR JMR 540 & JMR 541

I was able to dump and reverse engineer JioFi 3's firmware to see if I can unlock the SIM restrictions. JioFi 3 is designed by Foxconn it uses generic firmware. Unlocking took time though. Tested with Vi, Airtel.

UPDATE 17-10-21: Jio pushed a firmware update which is locking boot loader. If your device is not updated yet it is advised to re-flash your firmware with patched image given below which basically disables auto updates. If you're already locked out, currently there's no easy fix for that.

If you haven't used your device from a long time or you're still on lower or equal version than below it is advised not to use JioFi with SIM, flash this firmware first if you want to test SIM unlock.

Guide

Make sure you're on same or lower firmware version
    • JMR 540 - FXN_JMR540_R6.16
    • JMR 541 - FXN_JMR541_R3.10

1. Locate your device model and download the respective Firmware and extract it to a known location

2. Install drivers and tools (skip if already installed)

• Install Fastboot drivers ( google it for mac and linux it's easy to find)
    • Install Fastboot ( google it for mac and linux it's easy to find)

3. Prepare device

• Remove battery from JioFi 3
    • Locate reset pin hole button
    • Lay down JioFi 3
    • Use Paper Clip / SIM Ejector Tool to press button inside (using sharp object is not recommended)
    • Keep pressing button down and insert USB cable
    • Release button as soon as all the LEDs in Display turns RED. This means device is in boot loader mode

4. Flashing Unlocked Firmware

• Open adb and fastboot tools terminal
    • Enter following to check if device is connected

• fastboot devices

• baxxxxx fastboot

• This means device is connected. If your device doesn't show up here please check drivers in Device manager
    • Now first erase the system partition

• fastboot erase system

• erasing 'system'... OKAY [ 1.104s] finished. total time: 1.105s

• Now flash the firmware
    • fastboot flash system "D:\system.img" ( replace path )

• It should return something like this
    • sending 'system' (34306 KB)... OKAY [ 1.276s] writing 'system'... OKAY [ 9.462s] finished. total time: 10.741s

• Now send reboot command to device
    • fastboot reboot

• You'll notice device will reboot normally now you can unplug the cable.

Congratulations your device is now unlocked and you can reinsert battery and another SIM for testing.

Firmware will take long time than usual to boot do not panic.

4. Changing APN
    • Insert SIM connect with JioFi 3 wait it to intialize
    • Open Web UI from browser (http://jiofi.local.html/)
    • Now login (default username/pwd is administrator/administrator)
    • In Network Tab you'll find setting for changing APN
    • Put it on manual and enter "internet" as APN (without quotes)
    • Hit apply/save device will reboot again automatically and it'll auto connect
    • Just wait patience is the key here it'll connect.

If something goes WRONG or you want to UNDO you can re flash original firmware which is provided in this post.

Original backup

FAQs

1. Q. My device is not visible in fastboot devices
      A. Confirm driver installation a faulty cable can also be the issue.
    2. Q. Everything went well but still no changes in dashboard
      A. After successful flash if you still don't see the changes your device is probably booting from recovery partition. Try flashing recovery partition by
      fastboot erase recoveryfs
      fastboot flash recoveryfs "D:\system.img"

3. Q. After resetting device from pin hole button it shows INVALID SIM.
      A. This is supposed to happen just reboot the device it'll work again.
    4. Q. Can I undo all this and get back to original firmware
      A. Yes just flash the original firmware provided in post and reset the device.
    5. Q. I 'accidentally' flashed my recovery and boot partition
      A. Well accidentally I've backed up recovery and boot download from below

JMR540_boot_recovery.rar
      2. JMR541_boot_recovery.rar
    6. Q. FAILED: (remote: Image is locked) issue while erasing/flashing image
      A. Jio recently pushed an firmware update which re-locks simlock and bootloader which basically means you can't flash unsigned/custom firmware. Currently there is no fix.

Mentions:
    Thanks to
    Karuppusamy for testing it on JMR541.

What about JioFi 2, 4, 5, 6?
    Reverse Engineering takes lot of time and coffee. Until I get physical access to device I won't be able to unlock it. I'm constantly searching them on OLX as soon as I get hands on I'll surely try to RE and unlock it. I'll update the same here if there is no update here at the time of your reading then I haven't got the device yet so please don't spam for update hope you understand that I don't get anything by doing these things, I do it for liberation of locked hardware to meet it's real destiny and of course for the people. I also have a day job so no I cannot guide or teach you, hope you understand why.

bro is unlocking more 4g bands or manual selection of bands can be done ?
    Totally possible even 3G but it can't be done through WebUI it'll requires shell access.
    Working fine but only one issue that it is auto updating to official firmware within couple of days and we need to redo the entire process again.
    Any way to stop the auto update of firmware
    1622625406032.jpeg

This is completely genius! I am now able to use Airtel sim on my JioFi! Thanks!