[Guide]Updating to Honeycomb

Search This thread

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
Introduction:
The official updates are out for all regions that are going to recieve them.

If you can update via "to settings -> about device -> check for updates" you should use that. If you cannot for some reason here are update zips to manually install them for your device.

This guide is primarily ment for T-Mobile users and users that had previously installed CWM

Requirements:
  • You must be on stock 3xx, if you are already on stock 5xx you must use the matching stock recovery
  • Honeystreak and "normal" ICS are NOT supported
  • Battery charged to 60% or greater
  • Using Fastboot:
    • Basic understanding of the command line
    • Ability to enter fastboot

Instructions:
  1. Flash with fastboot:
    (If you have not removed the stock recovery on your device, you can skip this step)
  2. Download the correct pkg:
  3. Rename pkg to 'update.pkg' and copy to 'sdcard'
  4. Reboot into recovery
  5. Follow onscreen instructions
  6. Optional: Install Clockwork Mod
  7. Optional: Root your device

Credits:
  • DJ_Steve for preparing stock recovery images

Notice:
  • After installing this, you will not be able to enter fastboot mode or recovery mode if your battery is below 60%, you must charge it before using them
  • There is no T-Mobile branded rom, T-Mobile users must migrate to the US 4G rom to continue

2char

Last edited:

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
We need someone with 340 on a 1A2 device to dump the recovery.img for the pkg to work, but you'd still need fastboot to install the recovery

bluesy_92

Jun 5, 2011
Moto G 5G
Can these image files somehow be flashed via NVFlash or CWM? I'm not familiar with Fastboot.

If it matters, I flashed back to WiFi stock when I heard about the update, using the NVFlash tut with WiFi image files, so I'm running rooted 2.2.2 with CWM.

tech5

Aug 10, 2009
Ohio
fast boot is hold down the volume- and power until the red and white text appears and then attach it to the computer and go to your adb dir and instead of going into platform tools just go to tools and type fastboot devices and make sure your streak is seen ...it might just be a ? but it is still noticed

dbpaddler

Oct 19, 2009
Philly
I would think wifi users would want to avoid anything that involves the DS7 as a phone. If HC is supposed to bring better battery life, would pinging or signal searching kinda kill that idea? Just easier to wait it out at this point.

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
As an aside: the official available update was for EU streak7's

There are 3 models of streak7s:

US: the tmobile 4g one
EU: the unbranded 3g one
wifi: no cell service.

EU uses the 820W modem (850/1900/2100)
US uses the 820U modem (850/1700/1900/2100)

Unlike the Streak 5 the modems are actually different models and not just the same model with features turned off

bluesy_92

Jun 5, 2011
Moto G 5G
As an aside: the official available update was for EU streak7's

There are 3 models of streak7s:

US: the tmobile 4g one
EU: the unbranded 3g one
wifi: no cell service.

EU uses the 820W modem (850/1900/2100)
US uses the 820U modem (850/1700/1900/2100)

Unlike the Streak 5 the modems are actually different models and not just the same model with features turned off

Modem doesn't matter to me - I have the WiFi version. I'm wondering about the recovery.img differences - I heard that might cause a problem.

crpercodani

Dec 11, 2008
Athol
I have the wifi only model also and would love to flash this but don't want a brick or something along those lines

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA App

AndroidOVERALL

Sep 5, 2011
I am happy to report I have it up and running on my wifi only version. Usb cable is broke. If someone gives me a screen capture app to use I will post some pics.

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium

---------- Post added 3rd October 2011 at 12:50 AM ---------- Previous post was 2nd October 2011 at 11:58 PM ----------

FIRST OFF THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO WORKED HARD TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN. MUCH APPRECIATED!

Here are the screen shots of the working wifi model. I am on a US WIFI ONLY STREAK 7. Sorry the images are so low quality and large. Had to take them from my EVO 4G.

Screen shot 1

Screen shot 2:

daniel3334

Mar 11, 2011
Has anyone tried this on US 4G model yet? Never mind I just saw graffixnyc post in dev center about this. You lose fastboot and recovery I believe.
Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using xda premium

Last edited:

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
If you absolutely must have fastboot/cwm you should stay on streakdroid HC for the time being. The files are more or less unmodified, only the install script has been changed.

NVflash still works if anyone decides to change their mind

Reactions: daniel3334

daniel3334

Mar 11, 2011
Ok thx. I might go ahead and give it a try. I don't mind using nvflash to get back to the us model os when t-mobile gets off their assessing!!

Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using xda premium

chrisrotolo

Nov 3, 2010
Corona, CA
Stage weather widget looks like the largest weather/forecast widget ive seen for HC on our streaks.

I hope DJSteve get an enormous donation from some "anonymous" (read : Dell ) source saying "thanks for all the help...."

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts