[GUIDE] Use a Microphone with the Kindle Fire

Search This thread

FlashFire1

Nov 25, 2011
Now you can use a external microphone with the Kindle Fire!

12/17/2011
EDIT: This does NOT work with any calling apps(Google Voice, Skype, etc.) or text-to-speech apps. This will only work with a FEW audio recording apps.

For this to work you need:

A headset with a headphone/microphone combo

OR

A microphone with a 4-conductor plug (jack with three dividers)

These headphone/mic combos have a 4-conductor plug (a TRRS), to accommodate two stereo channels for the headphones plus the mic (audio left, audio right, mic, and neutral). A normal stereo headset has a 3-conductor plug called a TRS (left, right, and neutral).

This is what the jack should look like:

IT HAS 3 DIVIDERS
qt65.jpg

Here are some examples from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0049Y2PIS/ref=mp_s_a_7?qid=1322278595&sr=8-7

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004GNX0FE?is=300&qid=1322279066&sr=8-68&in=3

Once you have your headphone/mic combo hook it up to your Fire and start using the app of your choice.

NOTE: If you're headphone/mic combo is not working then it's not compatible with the Kindle Fire or it's broken

Please tell me how this works out for you!

A SPECIAL THANKS TO:

grvthang---For explaining how the headphone/mic combo works

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium

Last edited:

bennettg

Nov 11, 2010

This means you can use apps like Skype and Google Voice.

These headphone/mic combos have a 4-conductor plug (a TRRS), to accommodate two stereo channels for the headphones plus the mic (audio left, audio right, mic, and neutral). A normal stereo headset has a 3-conductor plug called a TRS (left, right, and neutral).

Once you have your headphone/mic combo hook it up to your Fire and start using the app of your choice.

NOTE: If you're headphone/mic combo is not working then it's not compatible with the Kindle Fire or it's broken

A SPECIAL THANKS TO:

Can you help a noob?

i have been able to root my kindle fire and get most of the apps working. However, i cannot seem to get this sound recorder working.

What app are you using? I tried to install sound recorder, but it didnt install (even as root). I was able to sideload voice recorder, but every time i tried to open it, it forced closed.

i am root and tried to use root explorer to move the app from the sd card to /system/app but when i long pressed on the apk, there wasn't a "move" option. can you please help me?

FlashFire1

Nov 25, 2011
Do you have a headset plugged in? If not it probably does not detect any microphone and that's why it's force closing. And if it's still force closing after you plugged your headset in then that means the app is in-compatible with the Kindle Fire.

bennettg

Nov 11, 2010
Do you have a headset plugged in? If not it probably does not detect any microphone and that's why it's force closing. And if it's still force closing after you plugged your headset in then that means the app is in-compatible with the Kindle Fire.

Thanks for the quick response. What sound recording app are you using?

UnU$UAL ROC

Nov 25, 2011
Allen PArk

bennettg

Nov 11, 2010
Awesome i look forward to being able to make skype calls on my KF!

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

Yes those will work, i have the same pair!;)

Thanks muchly. Off to target to buy now. how do you make phone calls on the kindle fire by google voice? i'm trying grooveip, but i would prefer google voice for calls.

FlashFire1

Nov 25, 2011

FlashFire1

Nov 25, 2011
Dont See why not! There Practically the same.

Like I said before, you need to plug in a headphone/microphone combo into the Kindle Fire because it has 3.5mm headphone jack. If you plug in just a microphone it will not work.

I tried it with my gaming headset (plugged in just the microphone, the pink cable) and when I plug it in I don't get any sound and the microphone does not work.

grvthang

Dec 25, 2010
These are the ones I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-EHS60...9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1322344060&sr=1-9

They are only $6 have great reviews.

They will work right?

These will work. You need a 4-conductor (TRRS) plug. When I got the recorder to work, I installed the app with the heaphone/mic unit plugged in. Itworked fine.
I didn't have luck with 2 speech-to-text apps, Clinton and Speech to Text.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

FlashFire1

Nov 25, 2011
These will work. You need a 4-conductor (TRRS) plug. When I got the recorder to work, I installed the app with the heaphone/mic unit plugged in. Itworked fine.
I didn't have luck with 2 speech-to-text apps, Clinton and Speech to Text.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Do I have to buy that separately or something? Isn't it already a 4-conductor plug?

FlashFire1

Nov 25, 2011
I see. So it's a 4 conductor plug but without headphones. Yea it should work then. Someone buy it and try it out :D

grvthang

Dec 25, 2010
Yeah, it'll work. It's made specifically for this application - it's got the TRRS plug on it. Pretty cool; nice find. I just ordered one.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

12/17/2011
    EDIT: This does NOT work with any calling apps(Google Voice, Skype, etc.) or text-to-speech apps. This will only work with a FEW audio recording apps.

OR

A microphone with a 4-conductor plug (jack with three dividers)

This is what the jack should look like:

IT HAS 3 DIVIDERS
    qt65.jpg

A SPECIAL THANKS TO:

So has anyone tested to see if it needs the nokia style headsets or the apple style headsets? (If the headset works fully with the iphone/ipad, its apple style). The difference is which conductor is for the mic vs ground. Same thing for the Samsung Galaxy phones.
    In researching the pin-outs, it appears that the iPhone and HTC type Microphone/Headsets have opposite pinouts on the ground and microphone. I'm betting that the grounded mic input is what causes the disconnect. You can't use an iPhone headset/Mic with a Kindle Fire.
    Well the headset I linked to in my previous post is not an iPhone headset, so would it work?

It would appear from most responses that the Kindle Fire TRRS pinouts are the standard (Apple/HTC/Samsung Galaxy S2/etc) left/right/ground/mic.

Nokia/Sony Ericsson/Samsung Galaxy S/etc TRRS pinouts are left/right/mic/ground. If you have a headset which is compatible with one of the phones from this list: (meelec.com/Articles.asp?ID=155#Compatibility), then it should be compatible with the Kindle Fire.

Otherwise, getting an adapter that inverts R2 and S will probably enable it to work. The same website or (mp4nation.net/catalog/fiio-lu1-35mm-smart-adapter-cable-ofc-p-591.html) has it. (Sorry, links are not hyperlinks due to anti-spam.)
    Thanks for the quick response. What sound recording app are you using?

I haven't used any sound recording apps yet. I have used Google Voice and Skype with my headset and they work great. Maybe you should try another sound recording app?
    These are the ones I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-EHS60...9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1322344060&sr=1-9

They are only $6 have great reviews.

They will work right?
    Cables2Go has these mic for sale. Not sure how well it will work, but it would be great for use without having to deal with headset if one only wanted the mic:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_p=1280661682&pf_rd_i=typ01