[GUIDE][VIDEO] Moto X - Return to 100% stock (using RSD Lite OR manual flash)

Search This thread
D

Darth

That is very true too... As I've seen posts of XT1052 users trying to flash SBF's for other models and run into issues with Radios no longer working, and of course being unable to flash back due to GPT.BIN
Yup, happened a lot when 4.4.2 came out.... And people had to put their X in a drawer until the SBF came out. (as you remember better than anyone... So many threads about it)

With the lollipop excitement.... Might be a popular issue again.

Last edited:

cammel

Jan 18, 2008
Buenos Aires
I have a question for you guys, @KidJoe @MSchumacher since it seems you both are the right people to ask this kind of things...?
Is it possible before flashing the stock 4.4.4 image to run the command fastboot erase system (or fastboot wipe system, I don't know the exact command) to see If that fixes the "sp space is not enough" message when flashing the 4.4.4 factory image? I'm asking this cause I haven't read anyone using that command on the moto x and I'm afraid that running that command could brick my phone, so maybe you guys know If this is possible...
Thanks in advance for the help!

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
I have a question for you guys, @KidJoe @MSchumacher since it seems you both are the right people to ask this kind of things...?
Is it possible before flashing the stock 4.4.4 image to run the command fastboot erase system (or fastboot wipe system, I don't know the exact command) to see If that fixes the "sp space is not enough" message when flashing the 4.4.4 factory image? I'm asking this cause I haven't read anyone using that command on the moto x and I'm afraid that running that command could brick my phone, so maybe you guys know If this is possible...
I've read of some using mfastboot erase system but I don't recall why, or how well it worked.

Its not something that is used often.

And while I've seen the SP SPACE IS NOT ENOUGH, it was usually after using CM or other 3rd party rom, and trying to restore a backup, rather than using mfastboot to fully flash.

Reactions: mschumacher69

cammel

Jan 18, 2008
Buenos Aires
I've read of some using mfastboot erase system but I don't recall why, or how well it worked.

Its not something that is used often.

And while I've seen the SP SPACE IS NOT ENOUGH, it was usually after using CM or other 3rd party rom, and trying to restore a backup, rather than using mfastboot to fully flash.

Thanks for the answer, yes I read that too, but in my case/I just unlocked the bootloader and flashed twrp only to.be able to flash the SuperSU zip.
I have never flashed any third party ROM neither wipe data or system using twrp. Just used it to gain root access and that was all.
Then after a while I wanted to go back to stock and that's where I got that "sp space is not enough message" using mfastboot of course and flashing the original sbf for my phone (gsm Dev edition)
The phone is working OK I guess, but I really want to get rid of that message or at least know what sp means and why is showing up...
Thanks in advance!

mschumacher69

Jun 9, 2010
I have a question for you guys, @KidJoe @MSchumacher since it seems you both are the right people to ask this kind of things...

Did u mean to quote me? :p

I haven't used erase system before and I'm not sure if it would solve your problem or not, but all this command does is erase ur system partition and you should be able to flash it after erasing it so you might as well try it. Whether it might brick ur phone or not, I can't confirm, but it shouldn't...

Have u tried re-flashing the whole sbf (including stock recovery) to see if this message goes away?

cammel

Jan 18, 2008
Buenos Aires
Did u mean to quote me? [emoji14]

I haven't used erase system before and I'm not sure if it would solve your problem or not, but all this command does is erase ur system partition and you should be able to flash it after erasing it so you might as well try it. Whether it might brick ur phone or not, I can't confirm, but it shouldn't...

Have u tried re-flashing the whole sbf (including stock recovery) to see if this message goes away?

Yes of course [emoji12]
And yes, I flashed the whole SBF several times and when it starts flashing the system partition (which mfastboot splits in 4) after flashing the last part I get that "sp space is not enough" and then the flashing process continues and everything seems to be fine but.... Now I'm not sure my phone is working at its full potential because of this message which I still can't understand what it is supposed to mean.... Here's a picture I took when the message appears
uploadfromtaptalk1426027626921.jpg

KidJoe

Aug 23, 2008
Yes of course [emoji12]
And yes, I flashed the whole SBF several times and when it starts flashing the system partition (which mfastboot splits in 4) after flashing the last part I get that "sp space is not enough" and then the flashing process continues and everything seems to be fine but.... Now I'm not sure my phone is working at its full potential because of this message which I still can't understand what it is supposed to mean.... Here's a picture I took when the message appears
View attachment 3204296
Make sure you have the newest Moto SBF for your phone model and carrier, the latest moto fastboot, latest Android SDK/Platform tools installed, and latest moto drivers (see HERE for details and links)...

Make sure you are NOT DOWNGRADING... Flash a 4.4.4 SBF with the highest build number if/when possible.

then try this... (there are a few commands being repeated, but this is intentional) Yes, its very similar to the fast boot section in the first post, but a few extra lines in the beginning which have helped in some cases. So its worth a shot.

mfastboot getvar max-download-size
mfastboot flash partition gpt.bin
mfastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
mfastboot reboot-bootloader
mfastboot flash logo logo.bin
mfastboot flash boot boot.img
mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
mfastboot flash system system.img
mfastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
mfastboot erase modemst1
mfastboot erase modemst2
mfastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
mfastboot erase cache
mfastboot reboot

Last edited:

cammel

Jan 18, 2008
Buenos Aires
Make sure you have the newest Moto SBF for your phone model and carrier, the latest moto fastboot, latest Android SDK/Platform tools installed, and latest moto drivers (see HERE for details and links)...

Make sure you are NOT DOWNGRADING... Flash a 4.4.4 SBF with the highest build number if/when possible.

then try this... (there are a few commands being repeated, but this is intentional) Yes, its very similar to the fast boot section in the first post, but a few extra lines in the beginning which have helped in some cases. So its worth a shot.

mfastboot getvar max-download-size
mfastboot reboot-bootloader
mfastboot flash logo logo.bin
mfastboot flash boot boot.img
mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
mfastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
mfastboot erase modemst1
mfastboot erase modemst2
mfastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
mfastboot erase cache
mfastboot reboot

Hi! First of all thanks again for your help!
I tried exactly those steps last time I flashed my phone that I took from your site here ( http://mark.cdmaforums.com/MotoX-Re...rtition? Thanks again for your time and help!

cammel

Jan 18, 2008
Buenos Aires
I have never tried using just the fastboot and dll included in the zip to flash. I've always installed the full SDK and placed mfastboot in that folder, and flashed. So I can't say with 100% certainty if flashing only using the fastboot and dll in the dev edition rom is enough.
Well, I guess that is the only thing I have never tried, install the complete android SDK...
I will do that following the instructions on your site, and then copy the fastboot.exe from the sbf I downloaded from the moto site, rename it to mfastboot and flash again. If after doing all that I still get that message when flashing the system partition then I don't know what else I can do...
Thanks again for the help! I'll let you know how it goes!

Hipe0ples555

Dec 10, 2010
Center Moriches NY
Keeping phone unlocked

I was wondering if it is possible to return the phone to complete stock, therefore being able to receive updates from google and what not, while keeping my service unlocked. In short, will this relock my phone to just AT&T, thanks!

iTchill

Jan 4, 2012
I was wondering if it is possible to return the phone to complete stock, therefore being able to receive updates from google and what not, while keeping my service unlocked. In short, will this relock my phone to just AT&T, thanks!
No need to relock the bootloader to revieve the updates , a complete stock will do ,

mschumacher69

Jun 9, 2010
So this method won't lock the bootloader, it will only restore it to stock without superuser permissions?

That's right. Even if u re-lock the bootloader, you would still be able to use the phone on other networks if u have SIM unlocked it.

Unlocking the bootloader and SIM unlocking the phone are 2 different things...

Last edited:

cammel

Jan 18, 2008
Buenos Aires
I have never tried using just the fastboot and dll included in the zip to flash. I've always installed the full SDK and placed mfastboot in that folder, and flashed. So I can't say with 100% certainty if flashing only using the fastboot and dll in the dev edition rom is enough.
Hi again, just installed the complete SDK following the steps on your site and everything went OK, flashed the phone again but this time with the SDK installed but still no luck, when the system partition is flashed (using mfastboot) I still got that red text saying that "sp space is not enough" after the system flashing process is completed, so I guess I'm out of options...can't get that message to go away....?

daede86

Oct 16, 2010
Milano
Hi guys!
I have a retail Moto maker German Moto x running cm12,but this time I don't know why I can't go back to stock.. I've did few times in the past time, but no luck this time!
I get the not supported variable when trying to flash gpt.img..
I've read here that can be caused by a newer version installed on the phone, but I don't think it's possible, I have always used the same SBF saved on my Mac!
I was wondering, should I try flashing the latest sbf from Moto even if it's a dev edition?
Can I flash on my xt1052 4.4.4 retail German the xt1052 4.4.4 developer edition?
Any suggestions on how should I proceed?
Thanks in advance :)

KidJoe

Aug 23, 2008
Hi again, just installed the complete SDK following the steps on your site and everything went OK, flashed the phone again but this time with the SDK installed but still no luck, when the system partition is flashed (using mfastboot) I still got that red text saying that "sp space is not enough" after the system flashing process is completed, so I guess I'm out of options...can't get that message to go away....?

Sorry I'm out of ideas.

cammel

Jan 18, 2008
Buenos Aires
Sorry I'm out of ideas.
No problem, you've always been very helpful with me!
Just one thing, is it possible that after reinstalling the factory image and wiping the device, at the first phone boot up when the set up appears I don't have the option to select a WiFi network? Is that normal? On my other moto x (xt1058) if I wipe the phone (either from recovery or from the menu setting) when the phone starts fresh it first ask me to choose the language, and then to connect to a WiFi network to set up my google account. Now with the xt1053 I have been messing around this days to go back to stock, it first asks me to select my language, and then if I have a google account but I have no option to select a WiFi network, I have to do all the set up using 3g/4g and then when the phone finally starts and goes to the home screen then I can connect to a WiFi network, and also it didn't asked me to complete my name and last name which as far as I know on every other android device I had at some point of the set up it asks for your name and last name so....is this normal? Can this be firmware related?
Thanks in advance!

daede86

Oct 16, 2010
Milano
Hi guys!
I have a retail Moto maker German Moto x running cm12,but this time I don't know why I can't go back to stock.. I've did few times in the past time, but no luck this time!
I get the not supported variable when trying to flash gpt.img..
I've read here that can be caused by a newer version installed on the phone, but I don't think it's possible, I have always used the same SBF saved on my Mac!
I was wondering, should I try flashing the latest sbf from Moto even if it's a dev edition?
Can I flash on my xt1052 4.4.4 retail German the xt1052 4.4.4 developer edition?
Any suggestions on how should I proceed?
Thanks in advance :)

i've tried also with droidflasher but no luck :(

EDIT:
now i'm stucked in bootloader because i think droidflasher erased everything without flashing anything.. it's weired, i'm not able to flash the recovery either! if i try mfastboot flash recovery rec.img i receive the message "error: cannot load 'rec.img'"

please help :(

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTE, YES, THIS IS A LONG DRAWN OUT VERSION OF WHAT IS ACTUALLY VERY VERY QUICK PROCESS. This is for reference only. I know there are a few people out there just like me who probably had a few small hickups getting back to stock with the firmware. This is to help "spoon-feed" the instructions to you.

Two Methods-
    Method 1 - RSD Lite
    Method 2 - Manual Flash

If you cannot get RSD Lite to recognize your device, try Method 2, it works like a charm!

Downloads:
    I assume you already have adb drivers if you're even here.....otherwise get them from the latest sdk here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
    Moto Drivers (Motorola Device Manager): https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/88481
    RSD Lite (I used version 6.1.5): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42057363/RSDLite_v6.1.x.zip - Extract and use 6.1.5
    Stock Firmware: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/ thanks to Skrilax_CZ and Firmware Team
    Moto Fastboot exe: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0dUKGxGylgNTk43eU0xc3VLekE/edit?usp=sharing - NOTE - YOU MUST UNZIP AND USE THIS WHERE MANUAL FLASH SAYS "mfastboot"

My Setup: Windows 8 machine <--obvious driver issues as usual :p
    My Device: VZW Moto X

METHOD 1 - RSD LITE

Step One - Download and install RSD Lite. At the moment, I can't find where I got mine from, so anyone who wants to add a proper link to it would be appreciated. I used version 6.1.5 and it worked fine.

Step Two - proper driver installation. If you're like me, you probably at one point got drivers quasi-working but here's what I did that worked - download and install "Motorola Device Manager" and it *should* give you the proper drivers. This was necessary (maybe) because I could get adb to recognize my device, as well as fastboot, however RSD refused to see it. This install fixed that.

Step Three - download and install the proper firmware for your device. NOTE: You MUST MUST MUST choose the right firmware for your device or you will FUBAR your phone.....not my responsibility.

Step Four - Unzip your firmware zip file, open it up through the layers and find the file "VZW_XT1060_4.2.2-13.9.0Q2.X-116-MX-17-53_CFC_1FF" or whatever version/carrier/build number file yours is, its the XML Document file. Right click -> Open with.. -> Notepad/word editor/XML Editor/wordpad and find the line:
    <step operation="getvar" var="max-download-size" />
    ^^^You need to select this entire line and just delete it out of the file. This is the line that gives fastboot flash error. Select it, delete it, then resave the file an exit out of it. Done.
    NOTE: This is required or the firmware flash will immediately fail giving a "failed flashing process. Unknown fastboot command. (getvar)"
    -For the sake of security, and not messing with important files, I'd actually recommend zipping the file back up after this and keeping as your final version (once you've confirmed yours works correctly)

Step Five - Plug in phone, enable USB debugging, then "adb reboot bootloader" - this will boot you into fastboot mode so RSD will recognize your phone

Step Six - Run RSD Lite - note that some people have had trouble and have to right-click run as administrator. In RSD Lite, make sure phone shows up in slot 1 - mine shows up, under Model, just says fastboot, USB port type, info N/A, important part is that it shows as Connected in status. Select the three-dot browse file button, then you can go down into the unzipped file you created of the XML folder, and select the XML file that we just edited earlier (or select the rezipped package). Select open and flash. (or decompress and flash)

Step Eight - Profit

METHOD 2 - MANUAL FLASHING

Much easier AND don't have to deal with getting RSD Lite to work....

Note - this was done on VZW variant, and based on XML file of that particular firmware. Get these instructions from your firmware package XML file.

Note 2 - VERY IMPORTANT!!! - You MUST use mfastboot (Moto fastboot) for the system.img flash as its too large for standard Android fastboot to handle, your flash WILL fail if you use standard fastboot. Hence why it says "mfastboot" this is not a typo.

Code:
    fastboot oem fb_mode_set
    fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
    fastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
    fastboot flash logo logo.bin
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    fastboot erase modemst1
    fastboot erase modemst2
    fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot erase userdata
    fastboot erase customize
    fastboot erase clogo
    fastboot oem config carrier vzw
    fastboot oem fb_mode_clear

You forgot to mention that you need to have it charged enough or it won't flash. I think it needs a minimum 30% charge, but 50% or more is recommended.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 2

Noted. Will add it.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk 4
    I have a moto x 2013 GSM developer edition and I have a few questions about how to flash the stock/factory 4.4.4 image which is available on the motorola website for download for the developer editions moto x.

On the motorola website it says that I need to follow the XML lines inside the downloaded file but there is no XML file inside of it.
    I downloaded and extracted it yesterday just to check what's inside of it and there is a bunch of files including a fastboot.exe and I don't know if that is the correct fastboot file that is needed to use in order to flash the firmware cause on the website there is a warning mentioning that we need to use mfastboot and not the standard fastboot from android so I really don't know if the fastboot included on the zip will work or not (I mean if it's actually the mfastboot file but just named fastboot) and I really don't want to break my phone.
    And the last one, there is a flash.bat file inside the zip after unzipping it, what if I just put my phone into fastboot mode and run that flash.bat file? Will it do all the flashing process automatically? Does anyone knows for sure if this could work? Thanks in advance for the help and sorry for my English...
    Moto did NOT include an XML in their latest images on their web site. They do include a bat file which flashes by calling fastboot to flash it. The XML is only needed when using RSDlite to flash. (yes, this means you can put your phone in bootloader mode and use the flash.bat file to flash it via fastboot).

When you install the ADB and Platform Tools from the AndroidSDK, you will get a fastboot.exe. This standard fastboot.exe is compatible with most, if not all, Android devices to flash parts or partitions with. Unfortunately, that standard fastboot is limited on how big of files it can properly flash. In recent android devices, Motorola has surpassed the limits of fastboot, as such Moto has an "upgraded" or "tweaked" fastboot. This "upgraded" or "tweaked" fastboot from Moto is also known as mFastboot.

The fastboot.exe included in the SBF's on Motorola's web site is "mFastboot" or the Moto version of Fastboot. It is just not "renamed" so it is easy to confuse, and/or not know the difference. If you are going to use the flash.bat file, you need to make sure the Moto Fastboot.exe is available either where the bat file is looking for it, or in the path BEFORE the Android SDK/Platformtools Fastboot.exe.

For more on fastboot vs mfastboot see -> http://mark.cdmaforums.com/MotoX-mFastboot.htm

If you really want to use RSDLite and need the XML file, then you can try downloading your rom from one of the 3rd party (not affiliated with Moto) sites that host All the 2013 Moto X SBF files, not just the Dev Editions. Or you can download the 4.4.2 SBF and use its XML but with the rest of the files from the 4.4.4 SBF.
    Maybe "WE" should move on and work the problems and not each other or "YOU" will have to deal with "ME".

Quit dwelling on semantics and help if you can. If not, then move on please.
    I did everything well and got back to stock successfully and also relocked the bootloader but the unlocked bootloader warning screen is still shown to me on every startup. :silly:
    can anyone help me understand why it is so?
    I know it will go away by flashing custom logo but I don't want to do that, I mean if everything was successful, why doesn't the warning go away?
    Your phone is working as designed. Here is why....

The Bootloader on the X has 3 different states and that status is displayed on the bootloader/fasboot screen of the phone.
    1. Locked (as it ships from factory)
    2. Unlocked (after doing mfastboot oem unlock <uniquecode>)
    3. Relocked (after doing mfastboot oem relock).
    We can only toggle it to Unlocked or Relocked, we can't get it back to LOCKED.

The Unlocked bootloader warning graphic in the LOGO.BIN file will display when the bootloader status is Unlocked or Relocked.

So once you've initially unlocked your bootloader, the only way to get rid of the "Unlocked Bootloader Warning" message is to flash a custom LOGO.BIN where the warning graphic has been replaced.

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 PM ----------

I tried to downgrade from 4.4.3 (really bad battery life being the reason) to 4.4.2 and couldn't do it. The bootloader is unlocked. Used the manual method and then used the RSD Lite method and got the same "preflash validation failed for GPT" error. Don't know how to get around it. Thankfully, in the fastboot, scrolled down to "factory" and upon clicking it was able to get back into my original 4.4.3 stock ROM. So does anyone know how to downgrade? I'd appreciate the help.

Also, I am new to the Moto x, is the battery life better on 4.4.2 or on 4.4.3? I had a Moto G before this and the battery life was really good on that. I loose a lot of power in standby with airplane mode on :/
    (bold in quote added by me)

For those who missed the side thread -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-x/moto-x-qa/how-downgrade-4-4-3-to-4-4-2-xt1053-t2804206

At least in the XT1053 GSM Dev Edition rom, the GPT.BIN has changed from 4.4.2 to 4.4.3. However, unlike with 4.4.2, motoboot (the bootloader) did NOT change. Never the less, this upgraded GPT.BIN in 4.4.3 will prevent successful downgrade to 4.4.2 using RSDLite.

While it may be possible to downgrade everything but GPT.BIN using mFastboot with the 4.4.2 SBF, it is not advised since the "partition table" (GPT.BIN) will be different, and now you will end up having mixed matched files on your phone which could cause various issues (strange and intermittent issues, failures or bricking on future updates, etc).
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone