• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Guide: Watch videos in full width aspect ratio (19:9)

Search This thread
This guide is for users who are not bothered by the notch/cutout area, and want to view videos in full width.

The Galaxy S10 series has a display resolution of 3040x1440, which makes the aspect ratio 19:9.

Instructions

To make videos play full width. You will need to get a video player app that can
i) set a custom aspect ratio
ii) keep videos native aspect ratio

For this guide I will be using MPV (Get it on F-Droid)
Why MPV? It is an open source video player that can read from a configuration file (VLC on Android is useless)

1. Download MPV from F-Droid
  2. Launch MPV
  3. Go to Settings > Advanced > Edit mpv.conf
  4. Insert these lines
    Code:
    # set aspect ratio to 19:9
    --video-aspect-override=19:9
    --keepaspect
Videos should now take up the entire screen. :cool:

Tip: This also means that when playing a native web video directly from the URI, you can stream/share it to open in MPV to play them in full width, rather than in 16:9. For advanced users, you can also do this with Termux (termux-open / termux-url-opener).

Last edited:
Reactions: gh0st85 and linom

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide is for users who are not bothered by the notch/cutout area, and want to view videos in full width.

The Galaxy S10 series has a display resolution of 3040x1440, which makes the aspect ratio 19:9.

Instructions

To make videos play full width. You will need to get a video player app that can
    i) set a custom aspect ratio
    ii) keep videos native aspect ratio

For this guide I will be using MPV (Get it on F-Droid)
    Why MPV? It is an open source video player that can read from a configuration file (VLC on Android is useless)

1. Download MPV from F-Droid
    2. Launch MPV
    3. Go to Settings > Advanced > Edit mpv.conf
    4. Insert these lines
      Code:
      # set aspect ratio to 19:9
      --video-aspect-override=19:9
      --keepaspect
    Videos should now take up the entire screen. :cool:

Tip: This also means that when playing a native web video directly from the URI, you can stream/share it to open in MPV to play them in full width, rather than in 16:9. For advanced users, you can also do this with Termux (termux-open / termux-url-opener).