• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How To Guide [GUIDE][WINDOWS] Bootloader Unlock & Relock, Drivers, Magisk rooting, Firmware and GSI ROM flashing without TWRP

Search This thread

Kylewolf

May 21, 2014
OnePlus 9 Pro
Sony Xperia 1 III
GSI means General System Image. Systems are the Main OS You are using. Flash a GSI and it isn't Stock anymore... Don't replace the System If You want to keep Stock!
wouldn't you lose a lot of the sony features by doing that? I should stop after step 4 then correct?

Also, I did not see it mentioned in the thread, but from sonys dev website, we are using the codes from the xperia 1 II correct?

Thank bot of you for the quick replies btw

[email protected]

Oct 22, 2014
wouldn't you lose a lot of the sony features by doing that? I should stop after step 4 then correct?

Also, I did not see it mentioned in the thread, but from sonys dev website, we are using the codes from the xperia 1 II correct?

Thank bot of you for the quick replies btw
Yes, you stop after step 4 if you just want root and you can use to codes from the xperia 1 II.

Reactions: Kylewolf

qqxz

Oct 15, 2021
Thank you for you guide,

i've tried to Re-Lock the Bootloader and i think i've bricked my device with "fastboot oem"

I have the XQ-BC62 i've download the firmware 61.0.A.14.3 from XperiFirm and flashed with newflasher

But after it's done and device reboot i'm getting into "Your device is corrupt. It can’t be trusted and may not work properly" and it shut down.

I've tried to repair it with Xperia Companion and it won't complete the repair i'm getting this error "

Software repair failed​

An error occurred while repairing your device.
Please try again. If the problem persists, please contact Sony support.
UEUpdateFailed
UE_200
2.14.1.0 / Windows 10 Home 64 bit / Win32 / US"

i've tried it with 2 different computer 2 different usb cables as well.

What else can i do at this point ? i feel the device is bricked , unfortunately i don't know much about android system, Please help with any suggestion

Kind regards

Attachments

• sony_xp.JPG
    sony_xp.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 29

qqxz

Oct 15, 2021
Thank you for you guide,

i've tried to Re-Lock the Bootloader and i think i've bricked my device with "fastboot oem"

I have the XQ-BC62 i've download the firmware 61.0.A.14.3 from XperiFirm and flashed with newflasher

But after it's done and device reboot i'm getting into "Your device is corrupt. It can’t be trusted and may not work properly" and it shut down.

I've tried to repair it with Xperia Companion and it won't complete the repair i'm getting this error "

Software repair failed​

An error occurred while repairing your device.
Please try again. If the problem persists, please contact Sony support.
UEUpdateFailed
UE_200
2.14.1.0 / Windows 10 Home 64 bit / Win32 / US"

i've tried it with 2 different computer 2 different usb cables as well.

What else can i do at this point ? i feel the device is bricked , unfortunately i don't know much about android system, Please help with any suggestion

Kind regards

Nevermind it was a simple step i missed "run "newflasher set_active:a" that fixed my issue, thanks again!

PavlaLuck

Oct 23, 2021
hi, i have a problem unlock mobile on sony xperia 1 lll and sony xperia 5 lll:

samstheman42

Nov 24, 2010
Boulder, CO
I made it as far as the Magisk patched image file and just want to make sure I understand the instructions before I try to run them.

So, after creating the patched image, booting into fastboot, you have to run both flash boot_a and boot_b commands, yes?

So, if my image file is named "magisk_patched-23000_G81Im" then the commands I would run in terminal (one right after the other) would be:

fastboot flash boot_a magisk_patched-23000_G81Im.img fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched-23000_G81Im.img

Right?

Miustone

Jul 23, 2012
Marburg an der Lahn
sites.google.com
Sony Xperia 5
I made it as far as the Magisk patched image file and just want to make sure I understand the instructions before I try to run them.

So, after creating the patched image, booting into fastboot, you have to run both flash boot_a and boot_b commands, yes?

So, if my image file is named "magisk_patched-23000_G81Im" then the commands I would run in terminal (one right after the other) would be:

fastboot flash boot_a magisk_patched-23000_G81Im.img fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched-23000_G81Im.img

Right?
Absolutely correct like that. You are good to Go 😄

Reactions: samstheman42

samstheman42

Nov 24, 2010
Boulder, CO
Feel Free to do that! :)
Hope You enjoy Your rooted Device! And Welcome to the Family!
Looks like I owe you that beer. Very happy I got this figured out, I was banging my head against the wall for days working on this. Not my first rodeo, but I've been out of the game for a couple of years and last time I dicked around with this stuff custom recoveries and all were readily available, making the process much easier, LOL!

So incredibly grateful for this community, it has served me very well for over a decade now.

Miustone

Jul 23, 2012
Marburg an der Lahn
sites.google.com
Sony Xperia 5
Looks like I owe you that beer. Very happy I got this figured out, I was banging my head against the wall for days working on this. Not my first rodeo, but I've been out of the game for a couple of years and last time I dicked around with this stuff custom recoveries and all were readily available, making the process much easier, LOL!

So incredibly grateful for this community, it has served me very well for over a decade now.
Glad it came to an good end for You! Android changed a lot and i met many Peopl like You who haven't touched Android rooting for a while. You are not alone...
I really hope i can support You with TWRP once i have enough Money for a good PC. But i'm fine actually with Magisk so far. And hope that counts for everyone else around. Keep also an Eye on MARS and GSIs if You want to get more...

I hope we can keep XDA alive, but Telegram and other Services are causing closed Communities which are not visible to everyone or giving us Infos on an organized Way. Really sad about that but i stay here as i did the last almost 10 Years :) Always happy if i can help out interested People!

Hippie459MN

I hope we can keep XDA alive, but Telegram and other Services are causing closed Communities which are not visible to everyone or giving us Infos on an organized Way. Really sad about that but i stay here as i did the last almost 10 Years :) Always happy if i can help out interested People!

I've been here almost 12 years and I have no intention of going anywhere any time soon. Sadly until I got this Sony Xperia 1 iii, I was using a Galaxy S5 that I bought about a month after its initial release and I spent a long time doing stuff with that then the phone got old, people moved on, and I just used it as a regualr phone for a few years, and everything after that just didnt fit what I was looking for and Samsung locked their phones up so tight that there was no real scene for them and I feel because many phone mfgr's are doing the same, its kind of killing the whole dev scene. Its certainly not like it used to be when I had my HTC Hero, Evo, Evo3D, Galaxy S5... I have a Galaxy S8+ but you cant root it because the bootloader is locked and so far there has been no way to unlock it. The android scene will have to leave me before I leave it. lol

Also, I dont fully know what telegram is but looks just like another private message program/app. Not an actual forum like XDA here.

• Love
Reactions: Miustone

Miustone

Jul 23, 2012
Marburg an der Lahn
sites.google.com
Sony Xperia 5
I've been here almost 12 years and I have no intention of going anywhere any time soon. Sadly until I got this Sony Xperia 1 iii, I was using a Galaxy S5 that I bought about a month after its initial release and I spent a long time doing stuff with that then the phone got old, people moved on, and I just used it as a regualr phone for a few years, and everything after that just didnt fit what I was looking for and Samsung locked their phones up so tight that there was no real scene for them and I feel because many phone mfgr's are doing the same, its kind of killing the whole dev scene. Its certainly not like it used to be when I had my HTC Hero, Evo, Evo3D, Galaxy S5... I have a Galaxy S8+ but you cant root it because the bootloader is locked and so far there has been no way to unlock it. The android scene will have to leave me before I leave it. lol

Also, I dont fully know what telegram is but looks just like another private message program/app. Not an actual forum like XDA here.
Totally feel and agree with Your Post! I loved Samsung up to the S5 and stopped there. Tried a S9+ with Exynos and sold it after a Week or so. SONY is aside from HTC the last good OEM in My Eyes. But that's another Story. Android has really changed and i have seen all the changes over the Years. Never stopped playing with this OS... Nice to see You around here. Feels good to have another Senior Member over here with an awesome Xperia with Unlocked Bootloader!

And You are right about Telegram. It's for Drug Dealers and People who like... Kids... Basically.
Never got why XDA is supporting that with "Telegram Group" Sticky Threads... Anyways. I have made a huge Change to MARS. We have now "GEARS". Checl Github for more. I will update the Threads now...

Reactions: Hippie459MN

Top Liked Posts

Guide updated. More coming soon...

Totally feel and agree with Your Post! I loved Samsung up to the S5 and stopped there. Tried a S9+ with Exynos and sold it after a Week or so. SONY is aside from HTC the last good OEM in My Eyes. But that's another Story. Android has really changed and i have seen all the changes over the Years. Never stopped playing with this OS... Nice to see You around here. Feels good to have another Senior Member over here with an awesome Xperia with Unlocked Bootloader!

And You are right about Telegram. It's for Drug Dealers and People who like... Kids... Basically.
    Never got why XDA is supporting that with "Telegram Group" Sticky Threads... Anyways. I have made a huge Change to MARS. We have now "GEARS". Checl Github for more. I will update the Threads now...
    getting to unlock your data for read/write is hard. I had it working until I flash TW Rom from original. Has writing to data worked for anyone
    I can read right the data, its the system folder that Google has disable the read wright on. Its a google thing and not sony. We are working on getting it working on the QX-BC26 model.
    Guide updated. More coming soon...

Introducing this Guide

Hello Folks and welcome to My Guide for Your Xperia Smartphone. This Guide will walk with You thru the whole Process of installing Drivers, getting an unlock Key for Your Bootloader, rooting with Magisk and even flashing GSI Custom ROMs up to re-locking Your Bootloader and re-flashing Stock for the total Factory Reset. This Thread/Guide is not meant as Wiki n'or will it teach You about Android. Inform Yourself using Google and be smart and worthy enough to get the total Freedom... If You can't solve Problems Yourself, don't touch Your Bootloader!

INDEX:
    1. Requirements
    2. Installing Drivers
    3. Firmware Flashing / NewFlasher
    4. Bootloader Unlocking & Magisk Root
    5. GSI ROM flashing with Fastboot
    6. Bootloader Re-Locking
    7. Firmware Restoring after Re-Locking

1. Requirements:
    • Windows 10/11 for Firmware flashing
    • Xperia Bootloader Unlock Key (From HERE)
    • Platform Tools alias Fastboot & ADB (From HERE)
    • Fastboot and Flashmode Drivers (From HERE)
    • XperiFirm (From XDA)
    • NewFlasher (From XDA)
    • Unsin (From XDA)
    • Magisk Manager (From GitHub)
    • GSI & vbmeta Image (From Google)
    • A working Android System for Magisk
    • A Backup of Your Internal Devices Storage (Or You will lose Your Data)

2. Installing Drivers:
    1. Download the Drivers and install them with disabled Driver Signature Enforcement. To do so:
    2. Press and hold down the Shift key while you click the “Restart” Option in Windows 10 to do a advanced Restart
    3. Select the “Troubleshoot” Option, followed by the advanced Options and Select Startup Settings
    4. Click on Restart and select Option "7) Disable driver signature enforcement"
    5. Once back in Windows, Install the Fastboot, Flashmode and Device Drivers
    6. Reboot Windows once more and You're prepared to flash Firmwares and to use Fastboot & ADB

3. Flashing Firmwares with NewFlasher:
    1. Download XperiFirm from XDA and extract it somewhere
    2. Download the correct Firmware for Your Device Model with XperiFirm
    3. Download NewFlasher from XDA and extract it to Your Firmware Folder
    4. Start the NewFlasher Exe and make Your Choices
    5. That's it... You can do that with Locked and Unlocked Bootloaders!

4. Bootloader Unlocking and Magisk Root:

Note: Since You are going to unlock Your Bootloader, You may surely want to get Root. So let's start with Magisk or it will take more Time afterwards...

1. Download UnSin from XDA and extract it somewhere
    2. Download the "Platform Tools" (Fastboot/ADB) from Google and extract it to the root of Your Windows Drive
    3. Download and install the Magisk Manager on Your Xperia Device
    4. Extract the File boot_********.sin with the Unsin Exe (Drag and drop the Image on the Exe)
    5. You will get a .img File which You can patch now with the Magisk Manager on Your Xperia
    6. Open the Magisk Manager and go into the Settings. Tap on the Update Channel and Select the Beta Channel
    7. Go back to the Main Page of Magisk and install Magisk by selecting the Image File You just got from UnSin
    8. Copy the magisk_patched.img in /download from Your Device to the Platform Tools Folder
    9. Grab Your Device again, go to "About Phone" in the Settings and tap several Times on the build Version
    10. Go now to the Developer Settings under "System" and enable "OEM-Unlock" and "USB-Debugging"
    11. Use now the Platform Tools with this Commands:
    12. Type now (Step by Step):
      Code:
      cd\
      cd platform-tools
      Note: To use the Platform Tools Folder as environment for Fastboot and ADB. Or hold Shift and Make a right Click in the Platform Tools Folder to open the Command prompt there...
    13. Type now:
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
      You will get a prompt on Your Xperia Device. Your Device will Reboot afterwards...
    14. Now Your Bootloader Unlock Code:
      Code:
      fastboot oem unlock 0xYOURKEY
    15. Wait for it... And type now:
      Code:
      fastboot reboot
    16. Wait for Your Device to Wipe and Start. Once in the Android System, turn Your Device off without USB Connected
    17. Press and hold now the Volume UP Button while connecting to USB to enable the fastboot Mode
    18. Continue with flashing the Images for Root (Step by Step):
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot_a magisk_patched.img
      fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched.img
    19. Wipe and Reboot:
    20. Code:
      fastboot -w
      fastboot reboot
    Note: Unlocking Your Bootloader erases Your unique Device Key FOREVER. That will flag Your Device as "it was unlocked". This can be checked by SONY and (maybe) everyone else who has Your Device in his Hands...
    (SONY knows it anyways since You have to order a Key with Your IMEI).

5. GSI flashing with Fastboot:

Note: GSI ROMs can be found around the Web. Like here...
    Not all require the vbmeta change. You can use all GSIs that are made for ARM64 + A/B Devices. Play around. Systems can't damage Your Device since You keep the Stock Vendor & Kernel! You can use any Android Version!

• Download the GSI "Starter Pack" from Google
    • Extract the system.img and the vbmeta.img to Your Platform-Tools
    • Connect Your Device in Fastboot Mode and use Fastboot with:
      Code:
      fastboot flash system_a system.img
      fastboot flash system_b system.img
      fastboot flash vbmeta_a vbmeta.img
      fastboot flash vbmeta_b vbmeta.img
      fastboot reboot

6. Bootloader Re-Lock:
    • Flash the latest Firmware for Your Device with XperiFirm and Newlfasher
    • Erase all Userdata before You continue (like with fastboot -w)
    • Just go into fastboot mode and type in the command prompt (like before in this Guide):
    Code:
    cd\
    cd platform-tools
    fastboot oem lock
    • Wait for Your Device and disconnect it from USB
    • Done... Continue with Step 7.
    7. Firmware Restoring after Re-Locking:
    • Download and Install the "Xperia Companion" from SONY
    • Open the Xperia Companion and select Software Repair
    • Select that Your Device can't get recognized (or is a Smartwatch 3 lol)
    • Go to the next Page and select the Xperia Smartphone Option
    • Continue and wait for the Initialization
    • Press and hold Volume DOWN while connecting to USB (You will see the Green Flashmode LED again)
    Continue once Your Device gets recognized and let the Xperia Companion do his work...
    Done. Your Bootloader is locked again and almost all of Your DRMs are restored.

That helped? Leave a Thanks! <3
    Donations are actually also really welcome!

BTC: 3A93fjg2KxZJEHUpBExs7rVgivfAUumQoJ
    ETH&ERC20-USDT: 0xD27860248B7E51720DDf9CA5a1f861CA1029c14A
    ERC20: 0xD27860248B7E51720DDf9CA5a1f861CA1029c14A
    I could not find the
    • GSI "Starter Pack" (From Google) from this link.

• Could you please be more specific and tell us which GSI will work (Android 12, 11, or 10, and ARM64+GMS, ARM64, x86_64+GMS, or x86_64.). Thanks.
    Hey, the "Starter Pack" is just another Name for the Google Zip which includes GSI and vbmeta. We are on ARM64 and GMS means GApps are included. Please read a bit about how Treble and GSIs are working and start from there. x86_64 btw. is the Dekstop Platform (Like Intel or AMD PCs). Basic knowledge :)

Don't want to make this an Info/Wiki Thread or so...
    I want to unlock my bootloader and root my 3 iii but I have read something about needing to back up and restore DRM keys otherweise some camera features and other stuff wont work anymore. Is that something that needs to be done on this phone and also, what exactly is the GSI stuff? It looks like that is an entire rom or something. Do we need to flash/install that? I am fine with the stock firmware. Im out of my element with this Sony stuff.
    That Informations are old and obsolete. Hardware works just fine after unlocking (On all Xperias since 2019), DRMs can be restored like i wrote in the Guide. We are using OLED HDR Displays. So don't care about Bravia or such stuff. Only Netflix and Video Enhancements aside from the Creator Mode are not working if unlocked. But AOSP is here and ROMs are also coming based on SODP and AOSP (With Mainline Kernels (Or GKI)) Please also read about Treble and GSIs before You start! It's a thing since Android 8 on all Android Devices. So it will be good to know! :p GKIs are also coming to all Android Devices soon...
    And is it needed to simply root the phone?
    No it isn't. That's why I am asking. I got my Xperia 1 iii a few weeks ago (before this tutorial) and did the exact same steps but without the GSI thing and everything works fine.
    No it isn't. That's why I am asking. I got my Xperia 1 iii a few weeks ago (before this tutorial) and did the exact same steps but without the GSI thing and everything works fine.
    Perfect. I tried to ask that before and was just told to read up on GSI. That wasnt any real help to my question. lol I was looking it over and it looked like it was a really vanilla version of android more less for app developers so I was c onfused if it was in fact needed to simply root the phone.
    Perfect. I tried to ask that before and was just told to read up on GSI. That wasnt any real help to my question. lol I was looking it over and it looked like it was a really vanilla version of android more less for app developers so I was c onfused if it was in fact needed to simply root the phone.
    You missed the Point of GSIs...