How To Guide [GUIDE][WINDOWS] Bootloader Unlock & Relock, Drivers, Magisk rooting, Firmware and GSI ROM flashing without TWRP

Search This thread

izzyfanto

Oct 18, 2016
Hi there. I've been rooting phones since the OG Moto Droid. I am very comfortable with the process and I am experienced with all the concepts. I have rooted HTC, Essential and of course Oneplus, which is my most recent phone. I just purchased the Xperia 1 iii and unlocked the bootloader.

I then proceed to download the latest firmware with XperiFirm, then placed Newflasher in the same directory as the files and ran the program. All looked good, it was flashing a bunch of files. But then about 5 min in it started spitting errors and the flasher said to press a key to continue. However upon trying to boot I was greeted with this wonderful message: "your device is corrupt and cannot be trusted and will not boot".

I though maybe I had a corrupt download or bad USB port, so I downloaded fresh firmware, changed USB ports, and ran the flash again again but got the same result.

FWIW, I used to the simplicity of being able to download the zip OTA directly from OnePlus and flash it inside the OS. This Sony method is not pleasant so far. Here's the errors at the end of the flashing process. Pretty frustrating. Any ideas what is going on?

Bash:
Error uploading chunk 9!
ERROR: TIMEOUT: failed with error code 997 as follows:
Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.
 - Error write! Need nBytes: 0xe but done: 0x0
nBytes[0x0]:

Error writing commad: Read-TA:2:2475

- Error write! Need nBytes: 0xc but done: 0x0
nBytes[0x0]:

Error writing command 'set_active:a'!
 - Error write! Need nBytes: 0x4 but done: 0x0
nBytes[0x0]:

- Error writing command Sync!
Closing device.
Press any key to continue . . .

Bofahad

Nov 14, 2013
Hi there. I've been rooting phones since the OG Moto Droid. I am very comfortable with the process and I am experienced with all the concepts. I have rooted HTC, Essential and of course Oneplus, which is my most recent phone. I just purchased the Xperia 1 iii and unlocked the bootloader.

I then proceed to download the latest firmware with XperiFirm, then placed Newflasher in the same directory as the files and ran the program. All looked good, it was flashing a bunch of files. But then about 5 min in it started spitting errors and the flasher said to press a key to continue. However upon trying to boot I was greeted with this wonderful message: "your device is corrupt and cannot be trusted and will not boot".

I though maybe I had a corrupt download or bad USB port, so I downloaded fresh firmware, changed USB ports, and ran the flash again again but got the same result.

FWIW, I used to the simplicity of being able to download the zip OTA directly from OnePlus and flash it inside the OS. This Sony method is not pleasant so far. Here's the errors at the end of the flashing process. Pretty frustrating. Any ideas what is going on?

Bash:
Error uploading chunk 9!
 - Error write! Need nBytes: 0xe but done: 0x0
nBytes[0x0]:

Error writing commad: Read-TA:2:2475

- Error write! Need nBytes: 0xc but done: 0x0
nBytes[0x0]:

Error writing command 'set_active:a'!
 - Error write! Need nBytes: 0x4 but done: 0x0
nBytes[0x0]:

- Error writing command Sync!
Closing device.
Press any key to continue . . .
Use Xperia Companion to repair your phone .

xori.eng

Aug 30, 2012
BANDUNG
Thank you for you guide,

i've tried to Re-Lock the Bootloader and i think i've bricked my device with "fastboot oem"

I have the XQ-BC62 i've download the firmware 61.0.A.14.3 from XperiFirm and flashed with newflasher

But after it's done and device reboot i'm getting into "Your device is corrupt. It can’t be trusted and may not work properly" and it shut down.

I've tried to repair it with Xperia Companion and it won't complete the repair i'm getting this error "

Software repair failed​

An error occurred while repairing your device.
Please try again. If the problem persists, please contact Sony support.
UEUpdateFailed
UE_200
2.14.1.0 / Windows 10 Home 64 bit / Win32 / US"

i've tried it with 2 different computer 2 different usb cables as well.

What else can i do at this point ? i feel the device is bricked , unfortunately i don't know much about android system, Please help with any suggestion

Kind regards

Dear qqxz:
I am badly need those 61.0.A.14.3 firmware version, but unfortunately could not find it anymore on xperifirm, so could you please upload yours somewhere and share here?
Appreciate your help...
Regards,
xe

PlatinCH

Sep 16, 2008
Unfortunately, you have the same problem as others, too:
UEUpdateFailed
UE_200

I asked here already for a solution some weeks/months ago. But nobody was able to give me a solution.

What I did: I flashed the newest version again with newflasher and my phone started normally. But repairing with Sony Companion still doesn't work (UE_200 failure).

izzyfanto

Oct 18, 2016
UPDATE for others who are having the same issue:

I tried my OnePlus cable, an old USB 2 cable, a newer cheaper USB cable. Nothing worked. UNTIL......swapping to the official Sony USB-C to USB-C cable and I was able to successfully flash a non corrupt firmware and then able to root the Xperia. So dumb.

This Sony process of flashing with third party apps that download firmware from third party apps that then fail when you use a different USB cable is really stupid and potentially could brick a phone due to corrupt flashing. Root is mandatory for me, and I most likely will never buy a Sony phone again because of this bad experience.

I've returned the Xperia for this reason. Plus the battery drain on it was horrible (I could literally watch the percentage drop every minute I used it...terrible optimization), the camera was not that great especially for a $1300 phone (there was a lot of noise in pictures and grainy....overhyped camera IMO), had the same CPU heating issues everyone was complaining about. I really wanted to like the phone, and Sony made a really nice looking and spec'd phone, but completely failed on delivery. First Sony phone, and not a fan like I thought I would be.

Going back to OnePlus where rooting is simple and OnePlus puts the actual updates on their official website and updating/rooting as simple as downloading the zip and applying locally with the official Android OS updater and then patching with Magisk. Super simple and clean and from the OEM.

Reactions: atomicvon

Bofahad

Nov 14, 2013
UPDATE for others who are having the same issue:

I tried my OnePlus cable, an old USB 2 cable, a newer cheaper USB cable. Nothing worked. UNTIL......swapping to the official Sony USB-C to USB-C cable and I was able to successfully flash a non corrupt firmware and then able to root the Xperia. So dumb.

This Sony process of flashing with third party apps that download firmware from third party apps that then fail when you use a different USB cable is really stupid and potentially could brick a phone due to corrupt flashing. Root is mandatory for me, and I most likely will never buy a Sony phone again because of this bad experience.

I've returned the Xperia for this reason. Plus the battery drain on it was horrible (I could literally watch the percentage drop every minute I used it...terrible optimization), the camera was not that great especially for a $1300 phone (there was a lot of noise in pictures and grainy....overhyped camera IMO), had the same CPU heating issues everyone was complaining about. I really wanted to like the phone, and Sony made a really nice looking and spec'd phone, but completely failed on delivery. First Sony phone, and not a fan like I thought I would be.

Going back to OnePlus where rooting is simple and OnePlus puts the actual updates on their official website and updating/rooting as simple as downloading the zip and applying locally with the official Android OS updater and then patching with Magisk. Super simple and clean and from the OEM.
It was your mistake of using bad usb cable , this device is a Super device with easy root & replacement of firmwares & it has a Great battery & Super Camera .

izzyfanto

Oct 18, 2016
It was your mistake of using bad usb cable , this device is a Super device with easy root & replacement of firmwares & it has a Great battery & Super Camera .
What I hate about these forums are people posturing about how a phone is the best and telling other people they're dumb for having negative experiences. Brand loyalty much? I posted my observations so others on the fence could hear both sides. You think the phone is perfect, fine have your opinion. My experience is the phone needs some serious software optimization

ZERO mistakes made...been rooting devices for a decade now and never had these issues. I tried 3 different cables, one of them being a brand new OnePlus cable which are well made cables. You're telling me this Xperia only allows it's own special USB cable? That is really dumb. The Xperia's port is just finicky and tempermental unlike any phone I've rooted before. EDIT: actually I do also remember the Essential phone being unrootable unless you used a cable blessed by the Pope. That phone had a lot of issues. Looked nice, unique build quality but really buggy software

I agree that this COULD have been a great device. In fact I was really excited about it. Loved the design, the tall screen, headphone jack, SDcard slot, ect. On paper this phone sounded amazing.

The camera looked like it could be the best hardware ever in a phone. In reality it was not great, especially compared to other phones in the price range. Maybe Sony will do a software update to optimize it. Although the fast Autofocus is really well done. If only the picture quality was top shelf. To me it's mediocre, like the mediocre OnePlus cameras

I don't really care if you get amazing battery. I did not, so your opinion about my experience is irrelevant. Lost 10% in 10 minutes just scrolling around, no gaming or videos. Worse battery in a phone I've ever had. My thoughts are the Snapdragon 888 with a 4k screen @120hz was just too much. Maybe Sony will fix that too. The SD 888 is a power hungry chip though

Finally, I am not happy with OnePlus, I do NOT think they're perfect and I would never defend them from bad products. In fact they're the reason I tried Sony, because typically OnePlus cameras are not great and I heard Sony's were. Plus OnePlus keeps raising prices while taking features away, and now their bad decision to replace their nice OxygenOS with the abomination called ColorOS. I'll critisize any phone maker for dumb decision or bad products.

So, you think the phone is great. Fine, you're entitled to it. Just don't get high and mighty with people who don't share you're opinion.

EDIT2:
typos, verbiage

EDIT3:
Also, I'm not the only one who has critisized the Xperia for camera quality, battery drain and CPU SD888 overheating issues. YouTube has tons of people mentioning all three of the above

Last edited:
Reactions: atomicvon

Bofahad

Nov 14, 2013
What I hate about these forums are people posturing about how a phone is the best and telling other people they're dumb for having negative experiences. Brand loyalty much? I posted my observations so others on the fence could hear both sides. You think the phone is perfect, fine have your opinion. My experience is the phone needs some serious software optimization

ZERO mistakes made...been rooting devices for a decade now and never had these issues. I tried 3 different cables, one of them being a brand new OnePlus cable which are well made cables. You're telling me this Xperia only allows it's own special USB cable? That is really dumb. The Xperia's port is just finicky and tempermental unlike any phone I've rooted before. EDIT: actually I do also remember the Essential phone being unrootable unless you used a cable blessed by the Pope. That phone had a lot of issues. Looked nice, unique build quality but really buggy software

I agree that this COULD have been a great device. In fact I was really excited about it. Loved the design, the tall screen, headphone jack, SDcard slot, ect. On paper this phone sounded amazing.

The camera looked like it could be the best hardware ever in a phone. In reality it was not great, especially compared to other phones in the price range. Maybe Sony will do a software update to optimize it. Although the fast Autofocus is really well done. If only the picture quality was top shelf. To me it's mediocre, like the mediocre OnePlus cameras

I don't really care if you get amazing battery. I did not, so your opinion about my experience is irrelevant. Lost 10% in 10 minutes just scrolling around, no gaming or videos. Worse battery in a phone I've ever had. My thoughts are the Snapdragon 888 with a 4k screen @120hz was just too much. Maybe Sony will fix that too. The SD 888 is a power hungry chip though

Finally, I am not happy with OnePlus, I do NOT think they're perfect and I would never defend them from bad products. In fact they're the reason I tried Sony, because typically OnePlus cameras are not great and I heard Sony's were. Plus OnePlus keeps raising prices while taking features away, and now their bad decision to replace their nice OxygenOS with the abomination called ColorOS. I'll critisize any phone maker for dumb decision or bad products.

So, you think the phone is great. Fine, you're entitled to it. Just don't get high and mighty with people who don't share you're opinion.

EDIT2:
typos, verbiage

EDIT3:
Also, I'm not the only one who has critisized the Xperia for camera quality, battery drain and CPU SD888 overheating issues. YouTube has tons of people mentioning all three of the above
Am using experia & Essential phone & rooting them without the original cable , my experia doesn't heat & battery is not draining .

Forbesii

Aug 17, 2021
Sony Xperia 1 III
Hey I just unlocked my phone today but I found some issues. First is my Google Pay doesn’t work anymore. I used the magisk hide and whatever something to hide root. The safteynet check passes and I can add card on my google pay, but it sais ”not set up“ when I select the card.
Second is I was trying to flash GSI on this phone, and I got an error basically means there is no system_a and system_b partition. I’ve tried to use only system and there is no system partition as well. Then I flashed the super partition with the GSI img and the phone didn’t boot. I checked all the partitions on the phone by fastboot and there seems no system partition.

Bofahad

Nov 14, 2013
Hey I just unlocked my phone today but I found some issues. First is my Google Pay doesn’t work anymore. I used the magisk hide and whatever something to hide root. The safteynet check passes and I can add card on my google pay, but it sais ”not set up“ when I select the card.
Second is I was trying to flash GSI on this phone, and I got an error basically means there is no system_a and system_b partition. I’ve tried to use only system and there is no system partition as well. Then I flashed the super partition with the GSI img and the phone didn’t boot. I checked all the partitions on the phone by fastboot and there seems no system partition.
You did something wrong , no problems with root .

Hippie459MN

Dear qqxz:
I am badly need those 61.0.A.14.3 firmware version, but unfortunately could not find it anymore on xperifirm, so could you please upload yours somewhere and share here?
Appreciate your help...
Regards,
xe
I have it but its like 3.6x gigs and my slow internet would take me ages to upload it. I'll see what I can do though if you still need it.

Hippie459MN

You did something wrong , no problems with root .
You need to flash the stock firmware back to your phone using NewFlasher and start over. There is no real reason to flash the GSI files/firmware if all you want is root and unless you know what you're doing with that, I wouldnt bother right now. Also, a few things are left out in the tutorial that I have mentioned a few times but it never gets updated.

UsernameNotRecognized

May 17, 2012
Question, how does one upgrade from Android 11 to Android 12 without losing all user data? @Miustone
I already downloaded the FW with xperiafirm and patched the boot.img, but now I'm not 100% sure how to continue without deleting user data.
I'd prefer to keep root.

Miustone

Jul 23, 2012
Marburg an der Lahn
sites.google.com
Sony Xperia 5
Question, how does one upgrade from Android 11 to Android 12 without losing all user data? @Miustone
I already downloaded the FW with xperiafirm and patched the boot.img, but now I'm not 100% sure how to continue without deleting user data.
I'd prefer to keep root.
I would highly recommend to never Switch between Android Versions without formatting Userdata. You will surely face issues Like it always happend on Android since it exists. Anyways. Newflasher will ask You If You want to keep userdata.

Update, flash the Patched Boot and You're good to Go. Back-up Your Data before just in Case! :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Introducing this Guide

Hello Folks and welcome to My Guide for Your Xperia Smartphone. This Guide will walk with You thru the whole Process of installing Drivers, getting an unlock Key for Your Bootloader, rooting with Magisk and even flashing GSI Custom ROMs up to re-locking Your Bootloader and re-flashing Stock for the total Factory Reset. This Thread/Guide is not meant as Wiki n'or will it teach You about Android. Inform Yourself using Google and be smart and to enjoy the total Freedom of Android... If You can't solve Problems Yourself by communicating and research, don't touch Your Bootloader!

INDEX:
    1. Requirements
    2. Installing Drivers
    3. Firmware Flashing / NewFlasher
    4. Bootloader Unlocking & Magisk Root
    5. GSI ROM flashing with Fastboot (Optional)
    6. Bootloader Re-Locking
    7. Firmware Restoring after Re-Locking

1. Requirements:
    • Windows 10/11 for Firmware flashing & downloading
    • Xperia Bootloader Unlock Key (From HERE)
    • Platform Tools alias Fastboot & ADB (From HERE)
    • Fastboot and Flashmode Drivers (From HERE)
    • XperiFirm for Firmware Downloads (From XDA)
    • NewFlasher for Firmware flashing (From XDA)
    • Unsin to extract .sin Files (From XDA)
    • Magisk App (From GitHub)
    • A working Android System for Magisk
    • GSI & vbmeta Image (From Google) (Optional)
    • A Backup of Your Internal Devices Storage (Optional)

2. Installing Drivers:
    1. Download the Drivers from the Link above and install them with disabled Driver Signature Enforcement. To do so:
    2. Press and hold down the Shift key while you click the “Restart” Option in the Windows Restart/Shutdown/Standby Options to do a advanced Restart.
    3. Select the “Troubleshoot” Option, followed by the advanced Options and Select "Startup Settings"
    4. Click on Restart and select Option "7) Disable driver signature enforcement"
    5. Once back in Windows, Install the Fastboot, Flashmode and Device Drivers
    6. Reboot Windows once more and You're prepared to flash Firmwares and to use Fastboot & ADB

3. Flashing Firmwares with NewFlasher:
    1. Download XperiFirm from the Link above and extract it somewhere
    2. Download the wanted Firmware for Your Device Model with XperiFirm
    3. Download NewFlasher from XDA and extract it to Your Firmware Folder
    4. Start the NewFlasher Exe and make Your Choices
    5. That's it... You can do that with Locked and Unlocked Bootloaders!

4. Bootloader Unlocking and Magisk Root:

Note: Since You are going to unlock Your Bootloader, You may surely want to get Root. So let's start with Magisk or it will take more Time afterwards...

1. Download UnSin from XDA and extract it somewhere
    2. Download the "Platform Tools" (Fastboot/ADB) from Google and extract it to the root of Your Windows Drive
    3. Download and install the Magisk Manager on Your Xperia Device
    4. Extract the File boot_********.sin (60MB+ File) with the Unsin Exe (Drag and drop the Image on the Exe)
    5. You will get a .img File which You can patch now with the Magisk Manager on Your Xperia
    6. Open the Magisk Manager and Install Magisk by selecting the Image File You just got from UnSin
    7. Copy the magisk_patched.img in /download from Your Device to the Platform Tools Folder
    8. Grab Your Device again, go to "About Phone" in the Settings and tap several Times on the build Version
    9. Go now to the Developer Settings under "System" and enable "OEM-Unlock" and "USB-Debugging"
    10. Use now the Platform Tools with this Commands:
    11. Type now (Step by Step):
      Code:
      cd\
      cd platform-tools
      Note: To use the Platform Tools Folder as environment for Fastboot and ADB. Or hold Shift and Make a right Click in the Platform Tools Folder to open the Command prompt there...

12. Type now:
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
      You will get a prompt on Your Xperia Device. Your Device will Reboot afterwards...

13. Now Your Bootloader Unlock Code:
      Code:
      fastboot oem unlock 0xYOURKEY

14. Wait for it... And type now:
      Code:
      fastboot reboot

15. Wait for Your Device to Wipe and Start. Once in the Android System, turn Your Device off without USB Connected

16. Press and hold now the Volume UP Button while connecting to USB to enable the fastboot Mode

17. Continue with flashing the Images for Root (Step by Step):
      (On 2020+ Xperias run: "fastboot reboot fastboot" first after You booted into fastboot)
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot_a magisk_patched.img
      fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched.img

18. Wipe and Reboot:
    19. Code:
      fastboot -w
      fastboot reboot
      Note: Unlocking Your Bootloader erases Your unique Device Key FOREVER. That will flag Your Device as "it was unlocked". This can be checked by SONY and (maybe) everyone else who has Your Device in his Hands...
    (SONY knows it anyways since You have to order a Key with Your IMEI).

5. GSI flashing with Fastboot:

Note: GSI ROMs can be found around the Web. Like here...
    Not all require the vbmeta change. You can use all GSIs that are made for ARM64 + A/B Devices. Play around. Systems can't damage Your Device since You keep the Stock Vendor & Kernel! You can use any Android Version!

• Download a GSI "Starter Pack" Zip from Google
    • Extract the system.img and the vbmeta.img to Your Platform-Tools
    • Connect Your Device in Fastboot Mode and use Fastboot with:
      (On 2020+ Xperias run: "fastboot reboot fastboot" first after You booted into fastboot)
      Code:
      fastboot flash system_a system.img
      fastboot flash system_b system.img
      fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta_a vbmeta.img
      fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta_b vbmeta.img
      fastboot -w (this erases Your Userdata / Settings and Files)
      fastboot reboot

6. Bootloader Re-Lock:
    • Flash the latest Firmware for Your Device with XperiFirm and Newlfasher
    • Erase all Userdata before You continue (like with fastboot -w)
    • Just go into fastboot mode and type in the command prompt (like before in this Guide):
    Code:
    fastboot oem lock
    • Wait for Your Device and disconnect it from USB
    • Done... Continue with Step 7.
    7. Firmware Restoring after Re-Locking:
    • Download and Install the "Xperia Companion" from SONY
    • Open the Xperia Companion and select Software Repair
    • Select that Your Device can't get recognized (or is a Smartwatch 3 lol)
    • Go to the next Page and select the Xperia Smartphone Option
    • Continue and wait for the Initialization
    • Press and hold Volume DOWN while connecting to USB (You will see the Green Flashmode LED again)
    Continue once Your Device gets recognized and let the Xperia Companion do his work...
    Done. Your Bootloader is locked again and almost all of Your DRMs are restored.

That helped? Leave a Thanks! <3
    Donations are actually also really welcome!

BTC: 3A93fjg2KxZJEHUpBExs7rVgivfAUumQoJ
    ETH&ERC20-USDT: 0xD27860248B7E51720DDf9CA5a1f861CA1029c14A
    ERC20: 0xD27860248B7E51720DDf9CA5a1f861CA1029c14A
    Feedback is always welcome! <3
    I could not find the
    • GSI "Starter Pack" (From Google) from this link.

• Could you please be more specific and tell us which GSI will work (Android 12, 11, or 10, and ARM64+GMS, ARM64, x86_64+GMS, or x86_64.). Thanks.
    Hey, the "Starter Pack" is just another Name for the Google Zip which includes GSI and vbmeta. We are on ARM64 and GMS means GApps are included. Please read a bit about how Treble and GSIs are working and start from there. x86_64 btw. is the Dekstop Platform (Like Intel or AMD PCs). Basic knowledge :)

Don't want to make this an Info/Wiki Thread or so...
    I want to unlock my bootloader and root my 3 iii but I have read something about needing to back up and restore DRM keys otherweise some camera features and other stuff wont work anymore. Is that something that needs to be done on this phone and also, what exactly is the GSI stuff? It looks like that is an entire rom or something. Do we need to flash/install that? I am fine with the stock firmware. Im out of my element with this Sony stuff.
    That Informations are old and obsolete. Hardware works just fine after unlocking (On all Xperias since 2019), DRMs can be restored like i wrote in the Guide. We are using OLED HDR Displays. So don't care about Bravia or such stuff. Only Netflix and Video Enhancements aside from the Creator Mode are not working if unlocked. But AOSP is here and ROMs are also coming based on SODP and AOSP (With Mainline Kernels (Or GKI)) Please also read about Treble and GSIs before You start! It's a thing since Android 8 on all Android Devices. So it will be good to know! :p GKIs are also coming to all Android Devices soon...
    I flashed the edited boot image to A and B and it wasn't until after this I used "newflash" after that instead of before like another guide I saw here suggests. I don't even know what I'm flashing or what newflash even does. We're getting instructions but not explanations, and I can't even find explanations.
    Newflasher "allows you to flash firmwares acquired through XperiFirm to Sony phones including and newer than the XZ Premium." (From https://github.com/munjeni/newflasher). With XperiFirm you can download stock Sony firmware for various models.
    Considering how badly rooting my Xperia 1 III went last night, I'm a little afraid to try flashing an actual ROM now. I can't find an answer as to what happens when Sony releases an OTA update.
    Sony releases OTA updates that, depending on the update, usually aren't full firmware so it's a smaller package. When you download firmware from XperiFirm, it's the full firmware, so some steps need to be taken so user data isn't overwritten, and since Newflasher flashes the latest boot image, you need to re-root by flashing the Magisk-modified one. This is what the above guide outlines correctly. Following the steps accurately successfully led me to install the firmware without losing any data, and ending with root.
    "Your device can't be checked for corruption. Please lock the bootloader." is seen when rebooting, and it isn't mentioned whether that's okay or not.
    Yep, that's what it says on Sony phones nowadays when you unlock the bootloader. Totally fine. It's an easy way for someone to tell that the bootloader is unlocked. Pretty much all manufacturers, that I'm aware, have some sort of modified splash screen at boot to indicate an unlocked bootloader.
    There has to be a place where I can find some of these answers within a reasonable time frame. 10+ years is a lot to catch up on for me.
    Sorry, but not really. Google and a few hours really is your friend here, and with the 1 III being a new phone, some questions simply don't have answers we want yet.
    There's so much I want to do like have a better method to backup and restore app settings such as OSMAND+ since its built-in backup doesn't work right at all.
    You can try OAndBackupX, or Titanium Backup with the latest fix that popped up a bit ago.
    The downloading and installing/flashing of the GSI file (Step 5) is not necessary what so ever if all you are wanting to do is unlock your bootloader and root the phone.

And yes, when unlocking your bootloader, select the Xperia 1 II on the sony web site.