How To Guide [CLOSED] Deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Hippie459MN

getting to unlock your data for read/write is hard. I had it working until I flash TW Rom from original. Has writing to data worked for anyone
I can read right the data, its the system folder that Google has disable the read wright on. Its a google thing and not sony. We are working on getting it working on the QX-BC26 model.

Reactions: bountyman334

daphix

Mar 13, 2009
Perfect. I tried to ask that before and was just told to read up on GSI. That wasnt any real help to my question. lol I was looking it over and it looked like it was a really vanilla version of android more less for app developers so I was c onfused if it was in fact needed to simply root the phone.
I strongly recommend that you take carefully any of Miustone's posts ;
As in this post, in the old ones he make mistakes in the order of the instructions or lack of info or upload the wrong images. If you search for Xperia posts, you may find more people with bricked phones after following blindly his posts .
With all due respect, even he is a hardworking person, is always in a hurry to be the first to post and make mistakes;
Please note that his posts are generally correct, but must be completed by yours personal research and validation from different sources.
An old user is not always a senior user and able to understand his responsibility and check what he is posting.
But I repeat, nobody contest his goodwilling.

Last edited:

Miustone

Jul 23, 2012
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I can read right the data, its the system folder that Google has disable the read wright on. Its a google thing and not sony. We are working on getting it working on the QX-BC26 model.

I strongly recommend to take with attentions any of Miustone posts;
As in this post, in old ones he make mistakes in sequence of instructions or uploading wrong images. If you search for Xperia posts you can find more persons with bricked phones after folowing his posts.;
With all respect, altought is a hardworking person, he is always in hurry to be first in posts and make mistakes;
Just be carefull, his posts are correct in general, but have to be completed by personal research and validation from different source.
Not always a old user is senior user and able to understand about his responsability and doing double check of what he post.
There is no chance to brick a Phone with any of My Instructions. It can reach a non working state which can be reverted by easily reflashing Stock. I haven't seen anyone in almost 10 Years who had a Brick based on My "Work". Looking up for GSI Development on XDA and looking for PHHs Treble AOSP is self-talking. I only Guide You thru the handling since there aren't any Infos at all about anything of this. Instead of complaining about the missing Sites of Background Infos You can find on Googles Sites and XDA, try to inform Yourself or write additional Wikis and Guides explaining all the Stuff most People already know. Don't get me wrong, but I'm not a full time Guide Writer and I don't have any interest on teaching People about Android or it's history...

Best Regards!

bountyman334

Account currently disabled
Sep 20, 2007
Atlanta
Sony Xperia 1 III
What i meant to say was that getting the latest update(XQ-BC72) XQ-BC72_Customized SEA_61.0.A.15.35 <- This . I get the Xperia log and bootloopI thin they patched something on this version but...

This one XQ-BC72_Customized CN_61.0.A.15.27<- I can Use the temp read/write mod from another thread and it works.Being that's it the Chinese ROm it Better but some features can mess up network. Meaning the mobile data section in setting doesn't work and Fc. but If you don't change the *#*#4636#*#* >NR/LTE*** it would work fine

PlatinCH

Sep 16, 2008
I tried to get back to original Firmware with Sony Companion.
Unfortuantely, I always get an Error:
"UEUpdate Failed, UE_200".

Anyone has an idea to solve this problem?

PlatinCH

Sep 16, 2008
I tried to get back to original Firmware with Sony Companion.
Unfortuantely, I always get an Error:
"UEUpdate Failed, UE_200".

Anyone has an idea to solve this problem?
Some additional information:

I tried it on two different computers with 4 different cables on different usb-ports.

If I start the repair mode on Sony companion, I get the the message to connect the mobile in flash mode. After I do this, I can start it. But after some seconds (the repair didn't really start), I get a second message to connect the mobile in flash mode. After this second message and reconnecting, I get the "UEUpdateFailed, UE_200" failure.

Anyone an idea?

boybkol

Jan 5, 2016
Jacksonville
Some additional information:

I tried it on two different computers with 4 different cables on different usb-ports.

If I start the repair mode on Sony companion, I get the the message to connect the mobile in flash mode. After I do this, I can start it. But after some seconds (the repair didn't really start), I get a second message to connect the mobile in flash mode. After this second message and reconnecting, I get the "UEUpdateFailed, UE_200" failure.

Anyone an idea?
Download latest firmware for your model, placed it in newflasher folder then run newflasher with the command "set_active:a" without the quote then hit enter.

PlatinCH

Sep 16, 2008
Bootloader is locked and i flashed back to original HK firmware with newflasher. But I can't repair it with Sony Companion and in the firmware version is still a "release keys"-version, which means no OTA Updates.

HowDoIVoIP

Apr 29, 2013
www.youtube.com
So I completed through step 4 and my device is wiped as if I just bought it. First thing I did was install Youtube Vanced and pressed the "Grant root access" button, and it was rejected.

1637981602436.png

So I did all of this work for what exactly?

1637981653223.png

Edit: Re-installed Magisk and now I can grant superuser. I still think these instructions need to be clearer for those of us who haven't rooted anything in thousands of years.

Last edited:

HowDoIVoIP

Apr 29, 2013
www.youtube.com
I asked what it was exactly and do we need to install it for the root process. By the way, it is not needed for the rooting process. I have successfully rooted the phone so thank you for the tutorial.

Just a suggestion, you should maybe add that after you flash the edited boot image to A and B and you reboot the phone, you will have to reinstall Magisk just to save some possible confusion as its no longer installed from being wiped during the bootloader unlock process.

Hi there fellow Minnesotan,
You seem to know what you're doing and it's been about a decade since I've rooted anything. I just completed this root and stopped at Step 5 but I still have a lot of questions I can't find answers to.

I flashed the edited boot image to A and B and it wasn't until after this I used "newflash" after that instead of before like another guide I saw here suggests. I don't even know what I'm flashing or what newflash even does. We're getting instructions but not explanations, and I can't even find explanations.
Considering how badly rooting my Xperia 1 III went last night, I'm a little afraid to try flashing an actual ROM now. I can't find an answer as to what happens when Sony releases an OTA update. "Your device can't be checked for corruption. Please lock the bootloader." is seen when rebooting, and it isn't mentioned whether that's okay or not.
There has to be a place where I can find some of these answers within a reasonable time frame. 10+ years is a lot to catch up on for me.
There's so much I want to do like have a better method to backup and restore app settings such as OSMAND+ since its built-in backup doesn't work right at all.

Sorry for the lengthy comment.

I flashed the edited boot image to A and B and it wasn't until after this I used "newflash" after that instead of before like another guide I saw here suggests. I don't even know what I'm flashing or what newflash even does. We're getting instructions but not explanations, and I can't even find explanations.
Newflasher "allows you to flash firmwares acquired through XperiFirm to Sony phones including and newer than the XZ Premium." (From https://github.com/munjeni/newflasher). With XperiFirm you can download stock Sony firmware for various models.
Considering how badly rooting my Xperia 1 III went last night, I'm a little afraid to try flashing an actual ROM now. I can't find an answer as to what happens when Sony releases an OTA update.
Sony releases OTA updates that, depending on the update, usually aren't full firmware so it's a smaller package. When you download firmware from XperiFirm, it's the full firmware, so some steps need to be taken so user data isn't overwritten, and since Newflasher flashes the latest boot image, you need to re-root by flashing the Magisk-modified one. This is what the above guide outlines correctly. Following the steps accurately successfully led me to install the firmware without losing any data, and ending with root.
"Your device can't be checked for corruption. Please lock the bootloader." is seen when rebooting, and it isn't mentioned whether that's okay or not.
Yep, that's what it says on Sony phones nowadays when you unlock the bootloader. Totally fine. It's an easy way for someone to tell that the bootloader is unlocked. Pretty much all manufacturers, that I'm aware, have some sort of modified splash screen at boot to indicate an unlocked bootloader.
There has to be a place where I can find some of these answers within a reasonable time frame. 10+ years is a lot to catch up on for me.
Sorry, but not really. Google and a few hours really is your friend here, and with the 1 III being a new phone, some questions simply don't have answers we want yet.
There's so much I want to do like have a better method to backup and restore app settings such as OSMAND+ since its built-in backup doesn't work right at all.
You can try OAndBackupX, or Titanium Backup with the latest fix that popped up a bit ago.

Last edited:

HowDoIVoIP

Apr 29, 2013
www.youtube.com
Newflasher "allows you to flash firmwares acquired through XperiFirm to Sony phones including and newer than the XZ Premium." (From https://github.com/munjeni/newflasher). With XperiFirm you can download stock Sony firmware for various models.

Sony releases OTA updates that, depending on the update, usually aren't full firmware so it's a smaller package. When you download firmware from XperiFirm, it's the full firmware, so some steps need to be taken so user data isn't overwritten, and since Newflasher flashes the latest boot image, you need to re-root by flashing the Magisk-modified one. This is what the above guide outlines correctly. Following the steps accurately successfully led me to install the firmware without losing any data, and ending with root.

Yep, that's what it says on Sony phones nowadays when you lock the bootloader. Totally fine. It's an easy way for someone to tell that the bootloader is unlocked. Pretty much all manufacturers, that I'm aware, have some sort of modified splash screen at boot to indicate an unlocked bootloader.

Sorry, but not really. Google and a few hours really is your friend here, and with the 1 III being a new phone, some questions simply don't have answers we want yet.

You can try OAndBackupX, or Titanium Backup with the latest fix that popped up a bit ago.

Thank you. So newflasher flashes the firmware, what does flashing fastboot a and b do then? This is boot and recovery?

fastboot flash boot_a magisk_patched.img
fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched.img

I was recording video of my screen as I was going through this process. I went through the video and I found this information on only ONE frame in the video. It goes by so fast, but this was newflasher. So I guess you're saying I didn't even need to use newflasher if I just wanted to root it because newflasher is for entire ROMS/FIRMWARE and I use that from now on, no longer needing adb flashing?

1638172375354.png

Attachments

• 1638171964271.png
    1638171964271.png
    389.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Miustone

Jul 23, 2012
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Thank you. So newflasher flashes the firmware, what does flashing fastboot a and b do then? This is boot and recovery?

fastboot flash boot_a magisk_patched.img
fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched.img

I was recording video of my screen as I was going through this process. I went through the video and I found this information on only ONE frame in the video. It goes by so fast, but this was newflasher. So I guess you're saying I didn't even need to use newflasher if I just wanted to root it because newflasher is for entire ROMS/FIRMWARE and I use that from now on, no longer needing adb flashing?

View attachment 5470379
Understand the Commands and things You do. Flashing a Magisk Patched Kernel with "fastboot flash BOOT_A" literally says You're flashing to Boot (Which is and always was the Kernel Partition for Linux). Android has 2 Boot Slots and mostly also 2 Systems for Security and Failsafeness. So far about that...

And You don't need to record Your Screen to see what NewFlasher does. Just scroll up...

I am not providing any Files or Tools so it just makes sense to get the needed Infos on the Sources and not here on this Thread. All Links are provided and the rest is research You usually have to do on your own just like everyone else does with My Guides or other Guides...

We are not here to Teach someone about something. XDA is all about research, testing and communication with Others. Sure we help if you have trouble. But we don't call a lack of knowledge "trouble". Solve Problems Yourself. Use Google like said. You will SURELY find any needed Infos. Or just Visit Google Sources and read all the stuff like I did over many Years 👍🏼

Don't get Me wrong, You're really welcome but don't try to bother Guide writers or Content Creators with Your lack of Knowledge. We simply don't have the time to write the same stuff over and over again for everyone who asks basic things.

Best Regards,
Miu

So newflasher flashes the firmware, what does flashing fastboot a and b do then? This is boot and recovery?
Android has 2 Boot Slots and mostly also 2 Systems for Security and Failsafeness
Here's some more info on that: https://www.xda-developers.com/how-...ess-updates-affect-custom-development-on-xda/
So I guess you're saying I didn't even need to use newflasher if I just wanted to root it because newflasher is for entire ROMS/FIRMWARE and I use that from now on, no longer needing adb flashing?
You patch a boot image with the Magisk application, then flash the boot image to both boot slots using "fastboot" which is part of the platform tools that inlude adb (https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=fastboot+vs+adb) The reason you flash to both slots can be found in the link above.
Newflasher is basically for flashing full firmwares ONLY.

Reactions: HowDoIVoIP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Here was a Guide. Someone said people don't care about Me or My Work so...​

Feedback is always welcome! <3
    I could not find the
    • GSI "Starter Pack" (From Google) from this link.

• Could you please be more specific and tell us which GSI will work (Android 12, 11, or 10, and ARM64+GMS, ARM64, x86_64+GMS, or x86_64.). Thanks.
    Hey, the "Starter Pack" is just another Name for the Google Zip which includes GSI and vbmeta. We are on ARM64 and GMS means GApps are included. Please read a bit about how Treble and GSIs are working and start from there. x86_64 btw. is the Dekstop Platform (Like Intel or AMD PCs). Basic knowledge :)

Don't want to make this an Info/Wiki Thread or so...
    I want to unlock my bootloader and root my 3 iii but I have read something about needing to back up and restore DRM keys otherweise some camera features and other stuff wont work anymore. Is that something that needs to be done on this phone and also, what exactly is the GSI stuff? It looks like that is an entire rom or something. Do we need to flash/install that? I am fine with the stock firmware. Im out of my element with this Sony stuff.
    That Informations are old and obsolete. Hardware works just fine after unlocking (On all Xperias since 2019), DRMs can be restored like i wrote in the Guide. We are using OLED HDR Displays. So don't care about Bravia or such stuff. Only Netflix and Video Enhancements aside from the Creator Mode are not working if unlocked. But AOSP is here and ROMs are also coming based on SODP and AOSP (With Mainline Kernels (Or GKI)) Please also read about Treble and GSIs before You start! It's a thing since Android 8 on all Android Devices. So it will be good to know! :p GKIs are also coming to all Android Devices soon...
    I've been here almost 12 years and I have no intention of going anywhere any time soon. Sadly until I got this Sony Xperia 1 iii, I was using a Galaxy S5 that I bought about a month after its initial release and I spent a long time doing stuff with that then the phone got old, people moved on, and I just used it as a regualr phone for a few years, and everything after that just didnt fit what I was looking for and Samsung locked their phones up so tight that there was no real scene for them and I feel because many phone mfgr's are doing the same, its kind of killing the whole dev scene. Its certainly not like it used to be when I had my HTC Hero, Evo, Evo3D, Galaxy S5... I have a Galaxy S8+ but you cant root it because the bootloader is locked and so far there has been no way to unlock it. The android scene will have to leave me before I leave it. lol

Also, I dont fully know what telegram is but looks just like another private message program/app. Not an actual forum like XDA here.
    Totally feel and agree with Your Post! I loved Samsung up to the S5 and stopped there. Tried a S9+ with Exynos and sold it after a Week or so. SONY is aside from HTC the last good OEM in My Eyes. But that's another Story. Android has really changed and i have seen all the changes over the Years. Never stopped playing with this OS... Nice to see You around here. Feels good to have another Senior Member over here with an awesome Xperia with Unlocked Bootloader!

And You are right about Telegram. It's for Drug Dealers and People who like... Kids... Basically.
    Never got why XDA is supporting that with "Telegram Group" Sticky Threads... Anyways. I have made a huge Change to MARS. We have now "GEARS". Checl Github for more. I will update the Threads now...
    The downloading and installing/flashing of the GSI file (Step 5) is not necessary what so ever if all you are wanting to do is unlock your bootloader and root the phone.

And yes, when unlocking your bootloader, select the Xperia 1 II on the sony web site.