{Guide - Windows} Creating a custom Windows 10 ISO {Yoga Book-driver injection}

Search This thread

binh71

Oct 18, 2006
I have successfully reinstalled Win10 Home on my 64GB YB1-X91F device using the ISO file. Thanks a lot @lectricpharaoh for the great help and kind contribution. I connected to an external display while installing from my SD card (without the external screen I did not realize the prompt for W10 key so the progress stopped there forever so I had to buy a micro HDMI adapter to connect to the external display).

I've been having a problem even before re-installing the latest Windows though. When the tablet is idle, most of the time it never wakes up and I have to press the power button for almost a minute to reset the tablet. It only seems to wake-up when I disable the wireless network adapter in Device Manager.
I tried to update the driver for the wireless adapter (to the latest one dated back in 2017 as found in Lenovo support page for YB1 X91F) but the issue still persists.

Could anyone please share your experiences and solutions ? Thank you in advance.

Jan 16, 2013
Burnaby
I have successfully reinstalled Win10 Home on my 64GB YB1-X91F device using the ISO file. Thanks a lot @lectricpharaoh for the great help and kind contribution. I connected to an external display while installing from my SD card (without the external screen I did not realize the prompt for W10 key so the progress stopped there forever so I had to buy a micro HDMI adapter to connect to the external display).
If you used the .ISO I posted earlier (remember, if you boot it as-is, it will wipe your machine, so backup first), it should have automatically done everything, including entering the key. For some machines that have an OEM version of Windows preinstalled, the key is written to the firmware at manufacture; properly-configured automated installs will use this key, so you do not need to enter it manually. The Yoga Book is one such machine. If you generate an automated install, use '[KEY]' in the 'Product key (Setup)' field. It's down at the bottom of the options; be aware there is another product key field earlier on that must be left blank.

If all of this was done properly, then the only thing I can think of that would prevent the key from working (and thus, having Setup prompt you to enter one manually) is if the Windows version is wrong. I have heard that even some of the 64GB Yoga Books came with Win10 Pro instead of Home- perhaps this is case for you?

I've been having a problem even before re-installing the latest Windows though. When the tablet is idle, most of the time it never wakes up and I have to press the power button for almost a minute to reset the tablet. It only seems to wake-up when I disable the wireless network adapter in Device Manager.
That's odd. I've never noticed this particular issue. Do you mean regular sleep, or hibernation? These are the power settings I use:

PowerSettings.png

As you can see, the only time the machine goes to sleep is when I explicitly tell it to, and I don't have difficulty waking it.

I tried to update the driver for the wireless adapter (to the latest one dated back in 2017 as found in Lenovo support page for YB1 X91F) but the issue still persists.
I'm not sure that the wifi is the issue. I think it's more likely to be buggy power handling by either Windows or Lenovo. Try this: open an elevated command/PowerShell prompt, and type
Code:
powercfg /availablesleepstates
and see what result you get. For me, the only ones supported are Standby (S0 Low Power Idle), Hibernate, and Fast Startup (which is essentially a variation of hibernation).

Did you use my autoinstall .ISO I posted previously? You could try that and see if you still have the issue. I am planning on making another that will include the latest cumulative update, but if you are rolling your own, it's probably quicker to just use NTLite to apply the updates, since you'll have presumably already downloaded the stock .ISO. If you do this, you should know there's one update (KB5000862) that seems to show up twice for some reason, and even after it's installed, it still shows up in the update list. I have no idea why it does this, so I just moved on after applying the small updates, applied changes, and then applied the big-ass cumulative update, so this might be what you need to do if you go this route.

You could also try disabling sleep mode altogether; I usually don't use it myself. It seems like it's far too easy for this thing to turn itself on; if I'm putting it in my bag or something, I'll hibernate or shutdown so an errant power button press won't cause my battery to die. Plus, sometimes the capacitive Halo surface and the screen interact if the device wakes up. I've noticed this on my Android device (I have both versions) when I've opened it up to find it's detected a bunch of 'random touches' causing it to open apps and send messages like it's possessed. The weirdest was when I got a message from a person in Facebook Messenger, asking if I was on vacation. Closer inspection revealed my Yoga Book had opened Maps, tapped some random area, and sent the coordinates through Messenger to a friend, prompting her to ask her question. It was surreal.

The only other thing that immediately springs to mind is updating the firmware. You should have yoga_book_bios_04wt23ww.exe in the Yoga Book package; alternatively, you can download it from Lenovo's site (this link is in the guide as well).

binh71

Oct 18, 2006
@lectricpharaoh thank you so much for your detail response. I really appreciate your time and your kindness to help.

I used the autoinstall ISO file from your post. I think the issue with the key is because my device was on W10 Home Single Language. After installing from that ISO file I could activate W10 using the Troubleshooter in the Activation screen and the digital license in the BIOS did the job.

I still have the Sleep issue with my YB. Maybe the only way to safely use it is to disable Sleep mode per your suggestion. I'm not sure if it's a hardware related issue. After flashing the BIOS to the latest version ( I did it before installing the ISO) the device got stuck and never turned on after flashing was completed so I had to press the power button for a minute to reset it. Does anyone have the same issue ? Btw mine is a YB1-X91F.

Jan 16, 2013
Burnaby
@lectricpharaoh thank you so much for your detail response. I really appreciate your time and your kindness to help.

I used the autoinstall ISO file from your post. I think the issue with the key is because my device was on W10 Home Single Language. After installing from that ISO file I could activate W10 using the Troubleshooter in the Activation screen and the digital license in the BIOS did the job.
It should be automatic; you shouldn't need to do anything special. However, it does seem to depend on internet access, so you'll need to have that up and running for it to activate.

You can always check the activation status by popping up an elevated command prompt/PowerShell, and typing slmgr /xpr. You should get a little pop-up dialog (it might hide behind your command prompt window) telling you your activation status, like so:

ActivationStatus.png

This is a handy trick if you've NTLited away the Security Center in Settings (by killing off Windows Defender), as normally you have to navigate through there to check the activation status.

I still have the Sleep issue with my YB. Maybe the only way to safely use it is to disable Sleep mode per your suggestion. I'm not sure if it's a hardware related issue. After flashing the BIOS to the latest version ( I did it before installing the ISO) the device got stuck and never turned on after flashing was completed so I had to press the power button for a minute to reset it. Does anyone have the same issue ? Btw mine is a YB1-X91F.
It sounds like there could be hardware differences between Yoga Books of the same nominal model (both of my Windows ones are the same model; I *think* the difference between YB1-X91F and YB1-X91L is that the latter has a SIM slot to support a cellular data connection), possibly due to which region they were released in. I got both of mine used off Craigslist, and while one has a standard US English keyboard, the other is appears to be a French one (I'm guessing Canadian Multilingual, since I live in Canada and got it locally). It looks like this (ignore the minor warping from my phone camera; it's not really bent):

YogaBookKeyboardFrench.jpg

I have noticed that this one does not turn off the display when I close it, which is annoying. I'm thinking it's a Windows thing, since there were so many little annoyances from day one. Examples include incorrect file size and free space values listed in Explorer (right-clicking and viewing Properties gives an accurate value, as does a directory listing from a command prompt), *extremely* slow listings of SMB shares (we have one of those Western Digital 'MyCloud' NAS devices, and every other device we have accesses the shares quickly and reliably), failure to shut off the display when closing the lid (meaning it wastes battery and is prone to 'phantom' input), and erratic Bluetooth connections. The slow network listing issue seems to have been addressed in an update, but the other issues persist.

The odd thing is I haven't noticed these issues on the other Yoga Book. File sizes are correct, network share listings are snappy, the display shuts off properly, and I haven't had Bluetooth dropping out (though to be fair, I'm only using it for a few minutes at a time as I test that various things seem to work).

Right now, I am removing crap I don't want, and testing each time (by installing on the *other* Yoga Book) in order to ensure I'm not breaking anything. I now have a full Yoga Book version with the latest updates, and absolutely nothing removed except for the Windows telemetry client. I also adjusted a bunch of things in Features and Settings, but none of that is permanent, so anyone using the .ISO could further adjust it to their liking, even from within Windows (as opposed to needing NTLite for it). That one seems to work perfectly. I then used it as a base for creating a trimmed-down version, and I seem to have broken the Windows Store. Specifically, the store app itself still works, but it cannot properly report my device specs, so some apps won't install because they don't know if my device meets the minimum requirements.

Anyways, when I'm done this, I will post the full version (replacing the one I already have on Google Drive, since that one didn't have the latest updates installed). I'll let you know when this happens, and if you like, you can try that one and see if it fixes your issue.

I will probably also post the trimmed version as well, once I've got it working to my satisfaction. That probably won't be for a few days, though.

binh71

Oct 18, 2006
@lectricpharaoh thank you in advance for the upcoming new ISO. I will certainly try it.

Btw, I found from a Japanese Lenovo site a way to get my device updated the Intel Graphical driver to the 2020 version by installing Intel's genuine Intel Driver and Support Assistant. I'm not sure if the latest graphical driver makes any difference but I hope this is somewhat helpful.

http://thinkpad-plus.jugem.jp/?page=0&cid=92 (I used Google translation)

Jan 16, 2013
Burnaby
It work. Thank you very much for your help! @lectricpharaoh
But can you make a vdeo tutorial, I want to try it for windows 7 and linux
It's not going to work for Windows 7 or Linux on the Yoga Book, as neither is going to have the driver support necessary for the very specific hardware used in the machine.

I think some people have made some progress towards getting Linux working on the Yoga Book, but last I heard, there were a whole bunch of things that didn't work properly. I wish you luck with that, but it's beyond the scope of this guide, not to mention my expertise. I've had very limited experience with Linux, so I'm not the guy for this.

c19932

Jun 9, 2010
thanks everyone regarding a fresh windows 10 install. Are there any stripped down windows 10 out there somewhere with imbedded yoga book drivers? The Yoga book is obviously too slow for a normal windows 10 comparing to other devices

l.gun

May 22, 2021
Good news, everyone!

I've created new instructions based on Sandman45654's excellent guide. I figured since he doesn't seem to be around here anymore, and since I had the necessary files, I'd just go ahead with it.

The guide (in .PDF format because I like pretty layouts) is here, and the setup files are here (all necessary files, including the setup files and third-party utilities, are also linked from within the guide).​
I would like to thank Sandman45654 because two years ago I was able to revive my YogaBook with Windows 1909 with the help of his instructions.
I also thank lectricpharaoh for the new guidance. And _JK1_ for the note with the external monitor.
I installed 20H2 with no problems, and now, a week later, Windows Update offers me 21H1.
The only thing missing from my installation was the Mobile Broad Manager Driver.
Isn't it included in lectricpharaoh's setup files?

Deneviel

Nov 7, 2017
Well, first i would like to thanks all the guys that worked on the guide and provided the files.

I managed to make my YogaBOOK work again but whenever I install the official battery and power management driver:

i end up in a loop boot with a BSOD popping up after few sec from the start up with the error:

Stop Code: SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED
What Failed: intelbatterymanager.sys

I can't even access the safe mode and the only option it's to format using a modded image i created without that driver included.

Any idea why this happen?

frostwood

May 31, 2021
Anyways, just download the latest Win10 ISO. Most drivers are now up to date straight into Windows 10.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 or if you want to get insider previews https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewiso . Avoid Dev Channel builds as the YogaBook is too slow for intense weekly builds. For me at least.

did you mean that we can install windows using latest Win10 ISO and get most driver working (halo keyboard) without installing any additional driver?

jamespmi

Jan 22, 2012
did you mean that we can install windows using latest Win10 ISO and get most driver working (halo keyboard) without installing any additional driver?
It actually does most of it... in the next paragraph I mentioned entering the Yogabook manual driver page at Lenovo

I highly recommend downloading and extracting the Intel Motherboard Chipset drivers from Lenovo. After extraction just go through all the subfolders and right click the *.inf files and choose "install". This adds missing chipset drivers, mostly for UART, HID priority triggers, wlan etc...

Intel Chipset Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - YOGA Book (Lenovo YB1-X91F/L)
tablets :: yoga series :: yoga book - Lenovo Support ES

Keep close attention on the Windows Update "View optional updates" in case it shows up. Mostly Driver updates...
Windows-10-Optional-Updates-1.png

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Struggle:
    If you have ever installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 on the Lenovo Yoga Book using a standard Windows 10 ISO you know the struggle! You need several pieces of hardware before you can even begin. After Windows has installed your nightmare is still far from over! Windows will be missing several drivers that have to be sorted out and downloaded, some from Microsoft, and others from Lenovo. All this nonsense takes far too much time and effort and shouldn't be required from the end user. Fed up after my last install, I began putting this together for my own personal use. Upon seeing how well it worked I knew I had to share! Using this guide you will inject 32 new drivers into your Windows 10 installation media. All other files remain untouched. Nothing else added and nothing is ever removed.
    This guide will not enable Windows installation on the Android version of the Yoga Book.

Benefits:
    1. You no longer need several pieces of hardware to install Windows. An eight gigabyte USB flash drive and an OTG adapter are all that's required.
    2. Windows setup starts with touchscreen and pen support from the very beginning.
    3. After the “Getting devices ready…” stage of Windows setup you will have full hardware support!
    The keyboard, trackpad, touchscreen, audio, and Wi-Fi all function allowing for a quick and painless install.
    4. Windows 10 boots the very first time with all of the correct drivers already installed, even if you don't connect to Wi-Fi during setup.
    5. You now have a fallback copy of Windows 10 that works right out of the box. This is something Lenovo should have provided.
    6. Several users have reported a noticeable gain in performance.

Required downloads:
    You will need to install four programs to complete this guide. All are small downloads (less than 15 megabytes combined) that are free or have fully functioning trials. To keep things as simple as possible please save all downloads onto your desktop.

NTLite - used to build the new Windows 10 ISO.
    Rufus - used to write your updated Windows 10 ISO on your flash drive.
    WinRAR - used to extract both the Windows ISO and the Yoga Book Setup Files.
    Yoga Book Setup Files - contains all of the drivers and supporting files needed to complete this guide. Updated 4/30/2018

You will also need a clean stock 64 bit Windows 10 ISO. For this you have two options.
    Microsoft’s Media Creation Tool or Windows ISO Downloader (suggested method) can be used to download an ISO from Microsoft's servers. ISOs downloaded using Microsoft’s Media Creation Tool use ESD compression. This highly compressed version, while quicker to download will increase both build and install time considerably. ISOs downloaded with Windows ISO Downloader use WIM compression and are far less compressed, making them much quicker to build and install. This decreases the time it takes to install Windows by roughly 7-10 minutes! Windows ISO Downloader also has the added benefit of allowing you select which update level you would prefer to download.
    ISO files downloaded from other sources (torrents or warez sites) may not be clean or compatible. As such their use is highly discouraged.

Build process:
    It is very important to follow this guide carefully. Skipping any of the steps or even changing the order of certain steps can cause issues. I have installed Windows well over 100 times and spent over 150 hours working on this. Once completed you will end up with a Windows 10 installation that runs BETTER than the first time you enjoyed your Yoga Book!

Step 1. Highlight both the Windows 10 ISO and “Yoga Book Setup Files.rar” files. Right click one of them and select “Extract each archive to separate folder”
    Step 2. Launch NTLite. On the first launch you should disable auto loading presets. To do so click File then Settings and uncheck "Load auto-preset 'Auto-saved session'".
    Step 3. Drag and drop the extracted Windows 10 setup folder into NTLite.
    Step 4. Double click "Boot/Setup | boot.wim".
    Step 5. Double click on "Microsoft Windows Setup (x64)" and wait for it to finish loading.
    Step 6. Click “Drivers" then drag and drop the "Boot.wim Drivers" folder into NTLite.
    Step 7. Click "Apply" then select "Don't backup log and preset". Leave all other options as is and click "Process".
    NTLite will ask if you want to disable Windows Defender to increase performance. This is completely optional but recommended.
    Step 8. Click "Source".
    Step 9. Double click your version of Windows, "Windows 10 Home x64 Core" or "Windows 10 Pro x64 Professional" and wait for it to load.
    Step 10. Once loaded right click your version Windows and select "Explore mount directory".
    Step 11. Copy and paste the included files from inside the "Mount Directory Files" folder into the base of the Explorer window that opened. After confirming the file copy prompts you can now close this window.
    Step 12. Click on “Drivers” then drag and drop the "Install.wim Drivers" folder into NTLite.
    Step 13. Click on "Registry" then drag and drop "RegistryEntries.reg” into NTLite.
    Step 14. Click "Post-Setup"
    Step 15. Now open the "Post-Setup Files" folder and drag and drop each of the 4 files into NTLite. Each file is numbered and should be added in order.
    Step 16. Click "Apply" and use the following settings.
    Under “Saving mode” select "Save the image and trim editions".
    Under "Image format" make sure "Standard, editable (WIM)" is selected.
    Select "Don't backup log and preset".
    Select "Create ISO".
    NTLite will ask you to name your ISO file. Save the ISO on your desktop as Win10Yoga.
    NTLite will now ask for a disc label. Set this as Windows 10.
    Step 17. Click "Process" and wait for your custom Windows 10 installation ISO to be completed!
    You can now close NTLite.

Preparing the USB drive:
    Now we will use Rufus to write the setup files on to your flash drive. The ISO file can also be burnt to a DVD if so desired.
    Step 1. Launch Rufus and insert an 8GB or larger USB flash drive.
    Step 2. Make sure the correct drive is selected under “Device”.
    Step 3. Set "Partition scheme and target system type" to "GPT partition scheme for UEFI".
    Step 4. Set "File system" to "Large FAT32 (Default)".
    Step 5. Set "Cluster size" to "32 kilobytes (Default)".
    Step 6. "New volume label" should set itself to "Win10Yoga" after step 8.
    Step 7. Check "Create a bootable disk using ISO Image"
    Step 8. Click the small button to the right of the "ISO Image" dropdown and browse to the Win10Yoga.iso located on your desktop.
    Step 9. After verifying your settings below click "Start".

FAT32.png

Congratulations, your custom Windows 10 installation media is complete!

Starting Windows installation:
    Make sure that your Yoga Book has completely shutdown. To begin press and hold the volume up key followed by the power button. Continue holding both until the pen light begins flashing. You can now let go of the power button. When the screen lights up you can release the volume button. If everything was done correctly your drive should now show under the "Boot Menu". Select the drive you've created to begin installing Windows 10.

Prebuilt ISO
    I have included a pre-compiled ISO based on Windows 10 1803 for those unable to do so. Windows 10 Home and Professional are included in this ISO file. Download, flash, install, and enjoy. The stripped builds are no longer included. This ISO will be removed at Microsoft's or XDA's request!
    Download Now (3.13GB) Updated 4/30/2018

Tips & Tricks:
    To enable touchscreen support in the BIOS it must be updated to the latest version.

Windows 10 will activate automatically as long as you have installed the correct edition.

Due to a limitation on which drivers can be injected into the boot.wim file Windows setup will display in portrait mode until the "Getting devices ready..." stage. Setup will automatically switch to landscape mode when possible.

During Windows setup, right before the first reboot you will see a 10 second countdown. Wait until the last three seconds or so and unplug your flash drive, Windows setup no longer requires it.

After testing your USB drive feel free to uninstall WinRAR and NTLite. All other downloads and extracted files can also be deleted. Keeping an archival copy of the completed ISO is strongly recommended.
    [edit: I forgot to mention, the autoinstall in question sets up the built-in Administrator account; it's intended the end user will use this to create their main account.]

I've also made a stock Win10 Yoga Book .ISO, version 20H2v2. Note that this is the autoinstall version that will wipe all partitions on your Yoga Book. It's about 4.2GB in size, but install.esd is less than 4GB in size, so you can have Rufus format the boot USB/microSD as either FAT32 or NTFS.

Remember, despite Sandman45654's instructions saying to use FAT32, this is not actually necessary (see here for more information). Rufus seems to default to FAT32 if all files are less than 4GB in size, though, probably because NTFS booting requires secure boot to be disabled, and many people balk at that (they shouldn't).

Remember also that booting with this media will delete all partitions on your Yoga Book's built-in storage. Back up all your stuff before beginning. At the least, this means copy your vacation pictures and cat videos onto USB/microSD before starting the process.

I should point out (I mentioned this in the guide as well) that booting an auto-partitioning unattended setup on another device will likewise nuke your drive. Do not boot this on your main desktop machine, or you'll be crying yourself to sleep.

As a final note, user _JK1_ points out (read the past few posts) that connecting a display via HDMI before booting fixes the screen corruption issue. If you would like to try this instead, but would still like to use my pre-made .ISO, then you can use Rufus to burn it as normal, and then simply delete autounattend.xml from the root of the USB/microSD before booting your Yoga Book from it. Doing so will allow you to go through Windows Setup as normal, answering all the tedious questions along the way.

Anyways, with all that out of the way, here is the link for the pre-built .ISO.

On another note, I was thinking of starting a new thread for this. I could get new suggestions for the guide without feeling like I'm hijacking Sandman45654's thread, plus it might be more visible to newcomers searching Google for this sort of thing (XDA members watching this thread will likewise be apprised of the new thread). What do you guys think?
    The new version with Dolby included has been uploaded! The written tutorial has been updated as well. Setup now includes all of the updates posted on Lenovo's driver page as well. Every thing except for Lenovo Paper. It has been left out because of the UAC prompt on start up.
    Totally and the community should be more than thankful for your effort...

But a year back when I reinstalled Windows (I do that with all devices I get, hate the bloat all manufacturers preinstall) there was no guide or collection like yours, furthermore hardly drivers. Not even on Lenovo's site...

Merry Christmas

I really appreciate the compliment :) I am the same way, I always wipe new machines when I get them. When I wiped my book Lenovo did have the first round of drivers up but they really dropped the ball with this awesome lil machine! I downloaded everything that was posted and fought with it for a quite a bit to get everything just right. Then the last time I installed I seen things were still far from perfect and I was tired of having to hook up a hub and other hardware. One struggle right after another. I started toying with the idea of doing what I've done here and the rest as they say is history. The hardware, for its size is on point but the supporting software just isn't nearly as refined as the machine that runs it. A system this unique should have came with a factory restore download or even included it on a cheap 8 gig micro sd card! That extra $3 would have went a long way into making happy customers!

Merry Christmas to you and all of our XDA family as well!
    Hey, thank you so much for your help. I am done with my yoga book, i did what you said about the system 32 folder, but it didn't work. then, I install one by one every single .inf and it work perfect to me.

Again, thank you for putting all the drivers together and for being very accesible to respond my "new/nervous user".
    By the way, i do a lot of mistakes while writing, is there an option to use some predictive keyboard as in the cellphone?

MERRY CHRISTMAS

I'm glad my files helped you out but I promise your doing it the hard way.
    I haven't tried this yet but I will soon! Looks like the help the Halo keyboard could use.
    Lightkey