[Guide][WIP][H930EU] Get VoLTE/VoWiFi functional and available

Search This thread

ldeveraux

Nov 20, 2008
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Nexus Q
Whats on me just report me then we shall see who is right or wrong. But consider this, on this very thread page there are people bringing up other devices. And if this comment comes up in my modern search it will come up in other people searches. That one is on you sound like there will be consequenses or that you are offended.
I'll just block you instead as you're wasting everyone's time arguing when you're very wrong.

Ice Fire

Mar 18, 2017
Nexus 9
LG V20
I'll just block you instead as you're wasting everyone's time arguing when you're very wrong.
Feel free to do so just make sure to block everybody else that isnt adhereing to the rules. This also sound like you know i wont get removed and i highly doubt that anyone who has issues with this device comes here anymore. Only people that dont have anything in there ux setting.

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Whats on me just report me then we shall see who is right or wrong. But consider this, on this very thread page there are people bringing up other devices. And if this comment comes up in my modern search it will come up in other people searches. That one is on you sound like there will be consequences or that you are offended.

@ldeveraux has a point. This was an experimental procedure @seadersn developed which didn't even work for all the V30 devices -- especially the North America models -- as the EU models had a folder the others didn't (if I remember correctly). It couldn't be used across other LG models or even all V30! The correct procedure would be to refer people to the threads directly related to their models.

I'll give you an example... The 2018 V35 was the direct successor to the 2017 V30 (same size, no notch, could use same cases) and yet some of the software flashing procedures used for the V30 were totally irrelevant to the V35 and were even detrimental.

For instance, the 2018 V35 is almost the hardware specs twin to the 2018 V30S (super duper V30 LG tried to claim was a different phone, but it wasn't), yet it's very different on the firmware side!

The V30S (released very close to the V35) is indeed identical to the 2017 V30 in firmware, just better specs (more RAM). The V35 is different. 2018 V40 is even more so.

I was answering his question as LG does not create different os fo the G and V series devices that come out together. They just dont give you ui access to the specific programms of the versions. The OS is essentially the same making the answer the same.

This forum might be sorted by device modell but if someone searches for that question he will still find this old result. So if they find the answer here this thread might still have worth.

They didn't come out together. The 2018 G7 is even more vastly different from the 2017 V30 than the 2018 V35 is from the 2017 V30.

Last edited:

Ice Fire

Mar 18, 2017
Nexus 9
LG V20
@ldeveraux has a point. This was an experimental procedure @seadersn developed which didn't even work for all the V30 devices -- especially the North America models -- as the EU models had a folder the others didn't (if I remember correctly). It couldn't be used across other LG models or even all V30! The correct procedure would be to refer people to the threads directly related to their models.

I'll give you an example... The 2018 V35 was the direct successor to the 2017 V30 (same size, no notch, could use same cases) and yet some of the software flashing procedures used for the V30 were totally irrelevant to the V35 and were even detrimental. The V35 is almost the specs twin to the V30S, yet it's NOT -- on the firmware side!

They didn't come out together. The 2018 G7 is even more vastly different from the 2017 V30 than the 2018 V35 is from the 2017 V30.
Hey thank you for your kind reply.

While this might be true the original question, was just a general answer to wether the options in the VoLTE VoWifi menu of the engineering menu of the phone, can disappear, how they disappear and how to fix that. Something which should apply to any and all LG devices that support VoLTE.

To be perfectly honest i have no idea wether or not they put software from one model in to another, in any generation after the G5 and the V20.
Even so if they produce them at a similar time they might just create one os and edit it. As it seems it wasent the case here.

But this wasent my the point anywa. I just didnt want to back down from a perfectly valid post to explain something, because i want to reverse this issue and every time i look it up, the question of the one guy, i was replying to in the beginning is the first thing showing up.
Thinking that there might be at least, one other person that might have the same issue i wanted to at least, post the answer to fix the problem, if you DONT mind having to set up your device new.

I am also not sure if you can set TWRP up without a bugged root folder and working UX menu with any method but as this is something that pretains to the V20, we are at least now, finally of topic.

Reactions: ChazzMatt

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    • :INTRO:
      OK: here's the thread we are talking about and working on getting VoLTE & VoWiFi to work :good:. For now this is for the H930 Open EU variant only, it worked for two peoples incl. me, but I think this is applicable on other variants of V30, with respective edits (/OP, you'll read later), too. Maybe even to other phones? I don't know, LG is sth (=something) special ;) This thread will rise with time I think, with different edits or ways to reach the goal: we want VoLTE/VoWiFi, sth, LG imho should've taken more care of...
      I hope, my english is sufficient so everyone understands what's to do :D And, btw.: you should have "Allow OEM Unlock" switched off.

User @Krekos/CZ/ did help me in a special way: he zipped his modem config files I by accident deleted from my phone and uploaded them :good: Without them I would've not being able to complete this work, and therefore I wanted to say thanks again to him at this point :D (I think you can't hear this anymore, hm? ;)). He's btw. the second person for whom this worked, he's got VoLTE&VoWiFi now.
      These files should work on other SD835 phones too, I link them here for archival. Eventually we can get a collection from every variant, this way we might be able to activate VoLTE etc. for a carrier on a phone which was not intended to being used with other operators. So a call to other variant users: can you please tar and upload these files to XDA? Procedere is:
      1. Connect your phone via ADB and open a command prompt
      2. type:
        Code:
        adb shell tar -czf /sdcard/mbn-files.tar.gz /firmware/image/modem_pr/mcfg/configs
      3. Upload this file to your post here in this thread. I'll add it to the list then.

Links to modem cfg files (mcfg_sw.mbn):
      H930 EU Open
      US998 Open

These files need special permissions, of course... Otherwise it would be boring ;)
      The path (on a LG phone) for oreo firmware is as follows:
      /firmware/image/modem_pr/mcfg/configs
      For pie it's not /firmware/, but /vendor/firmware_mnt/: pls remember to change path in the following process accordingly when using pie.

Permissions are:
      files 0440 system:system
      folders 0550 system:system
      Apply them via terminal emulator or adb:
      Code:
      cd /firmware/image/modem_pr/mcfg/configs
      chown -R system:system * {apply to everything in this folder and subfolders correct user and group}
      chmod -R 0550 * {apply to everything in this folder and subfolders permissions}
      find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 0440 {apply to files only (not directories) in every (sub)folder permissions}
    • :MAIN PART:
      Prerequisites:
      - H930 (or variant, later)
      - rooted
      - File Manager with root privileges
      - eventually a decent editor of your choice
      - and a little bit knowledge about giving permissions and changing owners/groups, if needed

I won't give help about e.g. files not editable because of problems with filemanagers or root, do the search work for infos and parameters you need, or anything else, sry :) You have to prepare and maybe investigate some time to find some infos. You have to know, that this can lead to a brick, if you're doing weird stuff :)

Let's begin with backing up your complete ROM via TWRP, incl. efs, data and all you need. Backup your OP partition too:
      Code:
      dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/OP of=/sdcard/OP.img
      It's about 344mb in size and can be restored in recovery or ROM, adb or terminal emulator:
      Code:
      (adb shell) dd if=/sdcard/OP.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/OP
      Then gather some infos, for now it looks we only need MNC and MCC, which identifies your operator. Maybe it later turns out that you need parts of your IMSI too. You'll find it in LG's hiddenmenu:

*#546368#*930#
      Field Test => SIM Info
      You can check, if the IMS Settings are available already. If yes, then there's a high chance you don't need the "some more config" part.

Write it down and have it prepared. Now the editing session begins :D
      First we will load our modem config for our operator. The corresponding script somehow seems broken as it should do its work with files in /data/shared folder, which isn't.
      These configs can give some extra parameters and contain infos about your operator / SIM provider etc.: Open your filemanager (and/or maybe editor, if isn't integrated in fm) and open the file "/firmware/image/modem_pr/mcfg/configs/mcfg_sw/mbn_sw.txt". Here find the path for your provider. O2 Germany would be "mcfg_sw/generic_/joan_glo/eu/o2d/o2d/germany/mcfg_sw.mbn". Append these = the complete path for your config file.
      Code:
      /firmware/image/modem_pr/mcfg/configs/mcfg_sw/generic_/joan_glo/eu/o2d/o2d/germany
      Copy your op config path, you need this for one of the following edits.
      Now navigate to the folder "/data/property". There should be three files we need. If they are not there, create them with root:root, 0600 and following content pls:
      1. persist.radio.buffet_mbn_file => the long path you copied before
      2. persist.radio.buffet_enable => enable
      3. persist.radio.sw_mbn_update => 1
      Otherwise just edit and save them afterwards. Perform a reboot and then check in hiddenmenu => Field Test = MCFG Buffet, if this file is loaded. Should :)

Some more config is needed. We now need the before told MNC and MCC and maybe the IMSI. We need to point your ROM in the right direction (modem itself is done): localizing it and giving the exact operator infos. Have a check of following files and a look, if they are configured already correctly for your operator, or you have to edit them.
      1. /OP/client_id.xml:
        Is your MNC & MCC inside? If not, copy and paste an example line, edit this one so it suits both.
      2. /OP/OPEN_EU/config/carrier_code.xml:
        Same as above, but a little more complicated. Explanation with an example line:
        Code:
        <profile carrier="O2D" suffix="O2D" carrier_code_fast="" carrier_code_late="TLF" country="DE" mcc="262" mnc="07" mvno_type="imsi" mvno_match_data="26207200xxxxxxx" />
        "Profile carrier": you find this in the long path to your .mbn file you copied before ;) O2D is O2 Germany, edit this to fit your sim provider.
        "suffix": same
        "mvno_match_data": this is part of your IMSI. When your provider is already listed, compare the five numbers after your operatorcode: 26207200xx. This all together has to be the same as the first ten numbers of your IMSI. If not, edit it. This is one of the reasons for VoLTE chaos on O2D, but that's another story.
      3. /OP/OPEN_EU/config/com.lge.ims.rcs.xml
        Same as above: copy and paste a line of simoperator section and edit with your operator details. "prefix" is your country calling code.
      4. /OP/OPEN_EU/config/featureset.xml:
        Change every item which is "false" to "true"
      5. /OP/OPEN_EU/config/vo_config.xml:
        Most likely you need to create an entry for your operator with mnc and mcc. do this and change both variables to "1":
        Code:
        			<info mcc="262" mnc="07"><!-- O2D (you can write anything here or leave it, it's commented out)-->
        				<prop
        					support_volte="1"
        					support_vt="1"
        				/>
        			</info>
        [b][i]Maybe[/i][/b] for some rare cases this is the only edit you need to do to get VoLTE & VoWiFi running :D
      6. Reboot now, then continue. If sth in custom.prop or build.prop is edited the wrong way, this can cause bootloops, so you don't have to do the beforedone work again. And: when something in general went wrong in /OP directories edits, you can dd your OP partition back.
      7. /OP/OPEN_EU/cust.prop (they're all case sensitive):
        ro.lge.capp_cupss.rootdir=/OP/OPEN_EU
        ro.build.target_operator=OPEN
        ro.build.target_country=EU
        ro.build.target_region=EU
        ro.product.locale.region=your region, e.g. "DE" for Germany
        ro.product.locale.language=your language, e.g. "de" for Germany
        ro.lge.cupssgroup=GLOBAL-COM
        ro.lge.opensw=EUR-XX
        ro.lge.radio_mcfg=1
        persist.lg.ims.volte_open=1
        Reboot.
      8. /system/build.prop:
        ro.product.locale: change to match your language
        ro.lge.capp_cupss.rootdir=/OP
        ro.lge.capp_cupss.op.dir=/OP

Reboot again :).
    • :0UTR0:
      The VoLTE and VoWiFi switches should be present now, a) in Phone Settings (both) and b) in Network Settings (VoLTE). We should now be able to hop into IMS Settings. You find it in LG's hiddenmenu => Field Test => IMS Setting.
      First we let the IMS setting show an icon in statusbar, this way we don't need to dial the hiddenmenu code everytime we need the settings. A nice sideeffect: it shows if you're connected or not ;) To do this tip on "Test" and activate "Show Icon". After that go back to the main screen and scroll down to "GPRI VoLTE/VoWiFi". Here you can activate VoLTE/ViLTE/VoWiFi/ViWiFi, depending on what your provider offers in your contract. Go back again to main screen, go into "Test" menu, then "Load Preset Configuration" => "Initialize configuration". Now you can do a reboot and press a thumb: maybe this was it and everything is up and running! Maybe...
      For seeing if VoLTE is up you can check "Debug Screen" => "VoLTE Debug Screen" inside IMS setting.
      You can also turn on VoLTE and VoWiFi indicators/symbols, which are then on the right side of your statusbar near the clock. In IMS settings: => "GPRI VoLTE/VoWiFi" => "Registration" => "VoLTE" => "Indicate VoLTE", and the same for VoWiFi. To be able to place a call in flight mode but with WiFi calling on, enable "Airplane Mode" in VoWiFi menu.

In case you experiment with IMS Setting and suddenly a com.android.phone (or other) fc occurs, you can boot into TWRP, mount data and delete the directory "/data/user_de/0/com.lge.ims" with its integrated filemanager.
    K, you're done :cyclops: :) Pls give feedback how it went for you!
    i'm using bought version of root explorer or QuickEdit Pro with root rights :)
    you can replace the row_att file with the file you want / need. overwrite it with the tmo file. but may not work because there are other places where info is read and imported from :( deleting every other setting isn't a good idea, this most likely will break modem partition and cause a bootloop. doesn't help that it's possible, it will only cause problems imo.
    Tnx a lot, really appreciate it :D
    here it is:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BI0Fy1OFlzLpv4uXk0l4afX2pROuScBt/view?usp=drivesdk

op.zip, containing the folders you need to compare :good:

for video calling it's the "enable_vt" line. but i don't know if you've got a button in dialer then with that edit or have to use google duo app...? can look at this when i got my new device, which btw was sponsored (after kids broke my phone) by a wonderful person known by anyone who unlocked his device: @ChazzMatt ! chazz, really, big phat thx again on this place :)
    For the first stem, I gave root permissions to the terminal but it says the path is read only.

View attachment 4990489

View attachment 4990491

Root permissions doesn't make a file or file-system read/write. You have to change the permissions to modify files, and/or you may have to re-mount the file system to make it writeable. You can only do that from root, so you're halfway there.

Regardless, BE CAREFUL with any of these steps, because when you remount you can break other things by mistake. If you don't know what you're doing, you can cause lots of problems. If you don't know how to remount, you may want to ask the OP how to do this. Bottom line, I don't know the process myself so I don't want you to just remount and then break things and blame me... let people who are more experienced in this process chime in instead. (I didn't see remounting mentioned in the first post, so it could be mentioned elsewhere...)