• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

(Guide) Work Profile Alternative for Rooted/Knox Tripped

Search This thread

Techronico

Mar 1, 2009
Santa Clara
Does your workplace have a BYOD policy that enforces full device encryption?
Have you already unlocked your bootloader and rooted your device, thus tripping Samsung Knox?
Have you tried to use Android Work Profile only to find out that "Your custom OS" does not allow it even if you reverted to stock and unrooted? (I know, right?)

Here is the solution...

Steps
  1. Unlock Bootloader and Install TWRP.
    (Thanks dr.ketan and geiti94)
  2. Install the Dev-Base ROM and force Encryption by using the Dev-base ROM file name tags/triggers. (Thanks _alexndr)
  3. Upon booting for the first time, setup pin with the checkbox for booting with pin protection. (This is full device Encryption).
  4. Reboot
  5. Enable Multi User (Samsung has disabled this by default)
    Enable multi-user feature on your Android one phone (running Android 5.1 Lollipop) without flashing .zip through custom recovery. All you need is root access.

Just go to /system , edit your "build.prop" file and add the following lines:

fw.max_users=3
    fw.show_multiuserui=1​

Save and reboot your phone. Done! Tested on Micromax Canvas A1.
    (Source - Thanks arpanbag1996)
  6. Add another user in settings>accounts.
  7. Switch to second user and add your work account.
  8. Make sure not to use any app that removes full device encryption. (Example: bxActions)

I've done this on my own device (SM-960F/DS) and it works great!

Let me know if anyone had success with any other ways to do this. I'm always open to suggestions.

Last edited:

kgptzac

Aug 13, 2010
Thanks a lot for this guide! However, unless I'm missing something here, this method doesn't create an actual work profile, but a rather a seperate user on the device that's devoted just for the G Suite account (as adding my G Suite account on the sub user does not even prompt me to create a Work Profile). On my current device, ZTE Axon 7, where I can use work profile version and my personal gmail app side by side as if they are two separate apps, instead having to switch user account.

And of course, I can just add my G Suite account to my main user since I guess I'll trade a bit of my privacy from corporate IT for convenience sake. On the other hand I wonder if @_alexndr can consider enabling this feature in DevBase...

kgptzac

Aug 13, 2010
I'm pretty sure this thread is about G Suite and Android work profile and not the Microsoft's stuff?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

nespresso33

Apr 28, 2010
I'm pretty sure this thread is about G Suite and Android work profile and not the Microsoft's stuff?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

No, it is about Android Work profile.
Microsoft Itunes use Work profile
G Suite Idk use work profile

But All MDM use work profile since android 9 ( maybe 8)

This thread should be on every samsung device. Because the issue is caused by knox.

saintmetal10

Aug 16, 2012
Rawalpindi
I'm confused. So which option should I choose out of the above replies and OP's suggestion? I want to have my work account on my personal device. But my phone is rooted, Knox triggered.

Last edited:

futurepack

Mar 4, 2015
"island" is the app you are looking for

Updated long back but still works pretty fine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200419-170855.jpg
    Screenshot_20200419-170855.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 160
Reactions: saintmetal10

Makavelli-

Nov 11, 2012
Landshut
Hey Guys, i also have a fresh rooted and with custom rom installed Samsung (S10e but i assume the model doesn't matter for this topic).
I also have a GSuite account from my company and don't get it managed to istalla work profile on my phone.
Just getting a error that i use an modified ROM and therefore a work profile cannot be installed.
I know such similar issues from my pixel 3 where i just use Magisk hide which unfortunately don't work on the Samsung.
Also tried exchained and Island app (cannot be installed) which also don't really work.

Reactions: Meteor100

demercy

Jul 4, 2016
For me the app Island work!!! Really thanks i use deluxe Room in note 8.
But the add a icon in initial menu the icon os the same, dont haver a small bag BLUE in bottom

pichai

Nov 21, 2016
Maybe he can fix the job profile just like patching the security folder, so that he can work on the device that Knox tripped over! There will always be incompatibility when setting the island!

pichai

Nov 21, 2016
Have you already unlocked your bootloader and rooted your device, thus tripping Samsung Knox?
Have you tried to use Android Work Profile only to find out that "Your custom OS" does not allow it even if you reverted to stock and unrooted? (I know, right?)

Here is the solution...

Steps
  2. Install the Dev-Base ROM and force Encryption by using the Dev-base ROM file name tags/triggers. (Thanks _alexndr)
  3. Upon booting for the first time, setup pin with the checkbox for booting with pin protection. (This is full device Encryption).
  4. Reboot

8. Make sure not to use any app that removes full device encryption. (Example: bxActions)

Let me know if anyone had success with any other ways to do this. I'm always open to suggestions.

This is only a multi-user mode, and has nothing to do with the work profile!

flunkyball

May 20, 2019
For me the app Island work!!! Really thanks i use deluxe Room in note 8.
But the add a icon in initial menu the icon os the same, dont haver a small bag BLUE in bottom
Could you share with us how you managed that ?
I myself am unsuccessful installing Island because the work profile cannot be created....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Here is the solution...

Steps
    4. Reboot
      Enable multi-user feature on your Android one phone (running Android 5.1 Lollipop) without flashing .zip through custom recovery. All you need is root access.

Just go to /system , edit your "build.prop" file and add the following lines:

fw.max_users=3
      fw.show_multiuserui=1​

Save and reboot your phone. Done! Tested on Micromax Canvas A1.

"island" is the app you are looking for

Try "island" from playstore

Not updated from quite long but will do the job.
    I installed Island and its gives me "cannot create work profile" error. Tried to setup Island with root, and I got stage 1 error.
    Hey Guys, i also have a fresh rooted and with custom rom installed Samsung (S10e but i assume the model doesn't matter for this topic).
    I also have a GSuite account from my company and don't get it managed to istalla work profile on my phone.
    Just getting a error that i use an modified ROM and therefore a work profile cannot be installed.
    I know such similar issues from my pixel 3 where i just use Magisk hide which unfortunately don't work on the Samsung.
    Also tried exchained and Island app (cannot be installed) which also don't really work.