• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we moved to a new and more secure software and older account passwords were not able to be migrated. We recommend trying to reset your password, then contacting us if there are issues.

[GUIDE] Working inside Root Directory

js2892

Jul 28, 2012
Bangalore
Can't change lockscreen wallpaper after flashing a rom? :crying:Want to fool your friends by changing andorid version?:victory: Want to apply bootanimation?:good: Here are your answers!:highfive:

Once your phone is rooted, you'll have access to root directory of your phone(initializing geek mode)! :p
You'll need an explorer, many are available on play store eg ES file explorer. I'm using root explorer.:good:

Following apks are attached below:

Email.apk- Stock Email Client
Memo.apk- Stock Memo Client
Genie Widget.apk- Weather Widget
DeskClock.apk- Stock alarm clock
LiveWallpaperPicker.apk- For enabling use of live wallpapers
FMRadio.apk- FM Radio
Talk.apk- GTalk

Flashed a new ROM but can't change lockscreen wallpaper

Your new ROM does not include the original Galler3d.apk file which is required to change lockscreen wallpaper. This file is present in stock rom and is useful to be backed up but can be found by little search effort. Neverthless i'm attaching it at the end of post!:angel:

1. Open your explorer.
2.Mount system as r/w (deafult is r/o)
3.scroll down to sdcard/ then copy your file from where it is located on your memory card and paste it to system/app
4. Long press app and then click on permissions. Change permissions to rw,r,r (photo attached below). These are universal permissions, u can push any app to the system and copying it into system/app and then changing permissions!(eg. FM Radio, attached below)
5. Reboot and you're done!:good::)

Note: Any system app can also be removed from system by deleting it from the system/app folder. Such as Weather, Homescreen tips, Email etc. This can be used to increase internal memory of the phone:laugh:

Change everything in "About Phone" Section

1. Open your explorer.
2. Go to system/
3. There's a file named "build.prop"
4. Long press and then open in text editor.
5. ro.bild.display.id - your ROM/Android name(Default: GINGERBREAD.XXLA2)
ro.build.version.release- your version number(Default: 2.3.6)
6. Edit, Save and Reboot!:good:

Workaround: Download an app called build prop editor form play store and edit build.prop easily!:laugh:

CHANGING YOUR BOOTANIMATION

Our friend Lalit Patil has done great work here. Check this thread for all details
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2126329

CHANGING SYSTEM SOUNDS

Alarms, Ringtones and Notification Tones can be changed easily using third party apps. But your new ROM might not include your favorite tone from previous ROM:mad:. So you can directly push the audio into the system.
You can also change the sound of camera click, usb connection and other internal system sounds.:victory::good:
Note: All system sounds are of format .ogg no other format will work!
:cool:

1. Open your explorer
2. Mount system as r/w
3. Go to system/media/audio
4. Folders: Ringtones, Notifications, ui, Alarm
5. Edit, Add, Delete whatever you want and then change permissions to rw,r,r:good:
6. Reboot if required!

PS: Since you are working in root directory, make sure you make a backup of everything you are editing/deleting etc:good:
PPS: I am not responsible for any kind of damage to your phone. Above procedures however have been tested and don't result in malfunction(atleast for me):cool:

I'll add more stuff if i come to know about some!

Attachments

Last edited:

padhu1989

Jun 26, 2012
Chennai
Re: [GUIDE] How to do things in Root Directory

Thanks.... Can you give me the link to download galary3D.apk

Sent from my GT-S5830i
Simplicity v4 + Rafael baugis kernel + Andrenaline Engine + Link2sd

BrainlessDude

Feb 5, 2013
I allready wrote a pm with my problem but I think its good to post it here as well.
Im pretty new to this modding scene. Please forgive my noobyness.
Well. I cant paste the apk in the system/app folder. Dont have the permission to write there

EDIT: Worked....Don't what was wrong in first try. Anyway. Thx for the guide :)

Another question. I was looking if i can change the Bootscreen, cause i dont like this Google one. In the guide its writen I need a custom kernel. is that true? i mean i have intalled JB and it changed the bootscreen too, but i still have the Stock Kernel I think.

Last edited:

js2892

Jul 28, 2012
Bangalore
I allready wrote a pm with my problem but I think its good to post it here as well.
Im pretty new to this modding scene. Please forgive my noobyness.
Well. I cant paste the apk in the system/app folder. Dont have the permission to write there

EDIT: Worked....Don't what was wrong in first try. Anyway. Thx for the guide :)

Another question. I was looking if i can change the Bootscreen, cause i dont like this Google one. In the guide its writen I need a custom kernel. is that true? i mean i have intalled JB and it changed the bootscreen too, but i still have the Stock Kernel I think.
Well, you can apply bootanimation on stock kernel...Custom kernel provides more features and compatibility that's why it is preferred...Be ready with a CWM backup if anything goes wrong!

PS: It's always good to flash custom kernel as it allows installation of many tweaks!:):):good:

BrainlessDude

Feb 5, 2013
Well, you can apply bootanimation on stock kernel...Custom kernel provides more features and compatibility that's why it is preferred...Be ready with a CWM backup if anything goes wrong!

PS: It's always good to flash custom kernel as it allows installation of many tweaks!:):):good:
Well...I will see if i will install a custom kernel. Im not sure if im ready for this. Dont want to brake my phone.
I also read many things about bugs in kernels like, freezing while phoning or something like this.

js2892

Jul 28, 2012
Bangalore

Backup ur sim contacts before flashing kernel(most common bug) ... And again make a cwm backup too.. :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-S5830i using xda app-developers app

Reactions: BrainlessDude

patrol31

Oct 21, 2012
Manila

Well. I think im to dumb. I cant find the right file for this kernel-.- I downloaded something, installed it but its still the DELL kernel ....
The easiest way is to install it via odin. Turn off your phone then press volume +,volume -,power button simultaneously to enter to download mode, then connect ur phone to pc via usb cable. Open odin and put your kernel on pda.
Link for kernel, download it. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=34843147

Read guides in the forum, its not that hard I tell you.

BrainlessDude

Feb 5, 2013
Its dead. I killed my phone. Dont know what ive done wrong. It isnt booting anymore. The "Samsung Galaxy Ace" Screen appears and it freezes... I cant get into recovery or download mode-.- Im such an idiot.

EDIT: At least im in downloading mode....but odin dont want to take my phone-.-

Last edited:

patrol31

Oct 21, 2012
Manila

Its dead. I killed my phone. Dont know what ive done wrong. It isnt booting anymore. The "Samsung Galaxy Ace" Screen appears and it freezes... I cant get into recovery or download mode-.- Im such an idiot.

EDIT: At least im in downloading mode....but odin dont want to take my phone-.-
Read on... http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=352

BrainlessDude

Feb 5, 2013
Link is invalid....
I got Odin to recognize my phone. I flashed everything but i think the bootloader is still ****ing up. At this moment i try to find a bootloader-.-

patrol31

Oct 21, 2012
Manila

Theres a sticky posted by feetsonfire on dev section about root/unroot guide or something..look it up theres an attached bootloader there.

Our Apps
Get our official app! (coming soon)
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone