• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[GUIDE] YT9213AJ, YT9216B and YT9217B - Enhanced Custom Firmware - ROOT - Viper4Android - TWRP - Brick Recovery - Custom UI and more

Search This thread

iceblue1980

Aug 14, 2020
London

UPDATE JUNE 2021

1. The YT9216B firmware works with YT9217B as well.

2. Started working on YT9218C HIFI unit. Will share the results in a few weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_20210513_234136.png
    IMG_20210513_234136.png
    7.1 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:

SykoraLukas

May 30, 2017
Pardubice
The instructions for the recovery will work on your unit, however none of the files as they are for older models.

I'm sorry to say this but you should never attempt any modifications without backing up your unit first.

I can try fix it if you wish to send it to UK and pay the postage. PM me.

Thank you for your offer to help.

Fortunately, I was able to bring the device back to life using the SP Flash Tool.

I now have a newer ROM with MCU version 4.0

Attachments

• yt9216bj.png
    yt9216bj.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
Reactions: iceblue1980

onojhcal

Jun 23, 2021
Hamilton
Hey guys
Am new to this stereo and wondering if it will work on mine

The sound quality isnt good at all

Heres a shot of my unit info

Any help appreciated

Would be happy if i can update for better sound
Otherwise ill just go back to my factory

Attachments

• 20210621_224541_HDR.jpg
    20210621_224541_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
  • 20210621_224507_HDR.jpg
    20210621_224507_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36

iceblue1980

Aug 14, 2020
London
Hey guys
Am new to this stereo and wondering if it will work on mine

The sound quality isnt good at all

Heres a shot of my unit info

Any help appreciated

Would be happy if i can update for better sound
Otherwise ill just go back to my factory

You have a different Android version than is covered in this thread.

This thread covers Android 6 units, API 23. Yours is Android 8.x with API 27.

As for the sound quality - it can only be improved by considerable modifications of the hardware and software. You also need to be an expert user of Viper4Android.

Also YT9213AJ units do not always have the audio processing chip (TDA7729) so it has to be installed before doing the modification below. This chip affects Fade and EQ functionality for all your sound. Check the picture attached and compare it with your hardware.

To give you an idea here's a brief description of how I do it and of course check out my signature:

Complete rebuild the onboard sound system is achieved by:

1. Replacement of the onboard YD7388 sound amplifier with TDA7850 + external 18v power supply.

2. Modification of electronic components on the motherboard to support TDA7850.

3. Complete, temperature-controlled cooling system with additional internal and external heatsinks plus external fan driven by its own 5v power supply.

4. Rooted Android

5. Viper4Android app calibrated for your sound system.

Attachments

• Fade not working 8227L YT9213.jpg
    Fade not working 8227L YT9213.jpg
    750.6 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Reactions: onojhcal

onojhcal

Jun 23, 2021
Hamilton
You have a different Android version than is covered in this thread.

This thread covers Android 6 units, API 23. Yours is Android 8.x with API 27.

As for the sound quality - it can only be improved by considerable modifications of the hardware and software. You also need to be an expert user of Viper4Android.

Also YT9213AJ units do not always have the audio processing chip (TDA7729) so it has to be installed before doing the modification below. This chip affects Fade and EQ functionality for all your sound. Check the picture attached and compare it with your hardware.

To give you an idea here's a brief description of how I do it and of course check out my signature:

Complete rebuild the onboard sound system is achieved by:

1. Replacement of the onboard YD7388 sound amplifier with TDA7850 + external 18v power supply.

2. Modification of electronic components on the motherboard to support TDA7850.

3. Complete, temperature-controlled cooling system with additional internal and external heatsinks plus external fan driven by its own 5v power supply.

4. Rooted Android

5. Viper4Android app calibrated for your sound system.
Hey dude i appreciate the reply and detailed answer

Thanks so much fod the help

Reactions: iceblue1980

SykoraLukas

May 30, 2017
Pardubice
Guys, I updated HU to 6.8 but I didn't back up the original system, now the sound is poor as if it had no bass, even though I use the same equalizer settings as the previous version of the system. Is there a way to improve the sound? Is it true that the odmdtbo.img file has something to do with sound? can I flash this file from another device?

iceblue1980

Aug 14, 2020
London
Guys, I updated HU to 6.8 but I didn't back up the original system, now the sound is poor as if it had no bass, even though I use the same equalizer settings as the previous version of the system. Is there a way to improve the sound? Is it true that the odmdtbo.img file has something to do with sound? can I flash this file from another device?

Why ask in this thread? Your unit is not discussed here. Please use the appropriate threads or start a new one. Thanks

elbyer

Jun 29, 2021
Hi all,

Wanted to share these MODs with you that I created for 8227L_demo Android Head unit, model: YT9213AJ, YT9216B AND YT9217B with 1Gb RAM and 16Gb FLASH drive. You can use this to debrick your unit or to fully install the 2020 software with fully working:

YT9213AJ_00011_V001_20200806
YT9216B_00002_V004_20200610 (with split screen mod) - also works on YT9217B

ROOT (SuperSU)
TWRP Recovery
Viper4Android / Viper4A / ViperFX
Scatter file (should work for any 8227L YT921xx device)
Full Memory Dump

!! ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR UNIT BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES TO IT!!

Download link

How to use

1. Download the file and unzip it onto you PC hard drive
  2. Make sure Mediatek drivers are correctly installed on your PC (view this guide here on XDA on how to properly install them)
  3. Download FlashTool version 5.1824 (or you will get transfer errors with reading DRAM or Scatter file) - if this version gives you errors, try other versions between v5.1736 and v5.1916
  4. In Flash Tool, 'write to memory' both BOOT1 and ROM_USER file if your unit is bricked or just ROM_USER if your unit works fine. You will need USB-A cable for this. You can download this step-by-step guide that I made (with pictures). During this step make sure your head unit is completely disconnected from car battery or any other power source
  5. When installation is complete (import can take roughly 20 min), restart the unit in TWRP Recovery mode (use the Shutdown app that came pre-installed with the mod) and in TWRP pick "Wipe Cache / Dalvik".
  6. Done!

If you are doing brick recovery, you can follow the very same method with Test Point method also fully described here on XDA Forums.

** IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO RESTORE YOUR UNIT, PLEASE CONSIDER DONATING IT TO ME, SO I CAN BUILD MORE MODS AND TUTORIALS

Here is a video I made on a bespoke project and also shows the modified software features

UPDATE Dec 2020

It has come to my attention that some of you struggle with getting TWRP, ROOT, and ViperFX to work. To remedy this, I have included all the files and instructions in one file together with the memory dump. It is a very easy install process. These steps assume that you have managed to install the memory dump, to begin with. Please follow the instructions to the letter.

UPDATE Apr 2021

- NEW video link

- MORE pictures

- All-In-One file download (memory dump, root, TWRP, Viper etc plus all the tools and guides on how to install them)

- Added YT9216B mod and tools

---------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE Jun 2021

- YT9216B mods and files now work with YT9217B as well

Thanks! And if this post is helpful to you please don't forget to "like" it.

[9213AJ][YT9213AJ][V4A][VIPER4ANDROID][ViperFX][ROOT][TWRP][8227L][YT9216B]
Hi iceblue1980,
I'm getting this message error (see image 1) while i try to write to memory the ROM_USER file.
Can you tell me what i'm doing wrong. My head unit features are (see image 2).
I'm not able to pass this screen (see image 3).
The flash process i'm doing is through test point method.
Please help me!!!

Attachments

• Error message 3040.PNG
    Error message 3040.PNG
    48 KB · Views: 25
  • HU features.jpeg
    HU features.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 26
  • bootlogo.jpeg
    bootlogo.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 26

iceblue1980

Aug 14, 2020
London
Hi iceblue1980,
I'm getting this message error (see image 1) while i try to write to memory the ROM_USER file.
Can you tell me what i'm doing wrong. My head unit features are (see image 2).
I'm not able to pass this screen (see image 3).
The flash process i'm doing is through test point method.
Please help me!!!

I assume you have read "How to use" part in the original post? Because this is the most common error. Check point 3 and the link in point 4.

reep28

Jun 10, 2018
Hiiiiiiiii all,

Wanted to share these MODs with you that I created for 8227L_demo Android Head unit, model: YT9213AJ, YT9216B AND YT9217B with 1Gb RAM and 16Gb FLASH drive. You can use this to debrick your unit or to fully install the 2020 software with fully working:

ROOT (SuperSU)
TWRP Recovery
Full Memory Dump

Download link

How to use

2. Make sure Mediatek drivers are correctly installed on your PC (view this guide here on XDA on how to properly install them)
  3. Download FlashTool version 5.1824 (or you will get transfer errors with reading DRAM or Scatter file) - if this version gives you errors, try other versions between v5.1736 and v5.1916
  4. In Flash Tool, 'write to memory' both BOOT1 and ROM_USER file if your unit is bricked or just ROM_USER if your unit works fine. You will need USB-A cable for this. You can download this step-by-step guide that I made (with pictures). During this step make sure your head unit is completely disconnected from car battery or any other power source
  5. When installation is complete (import can take roughly 20 min), restart the unit in TWRP Recovery mode (use the Shutdown app that came pre-installed with the mod) and in TWRP pick "Wipe Cache / Dalvik".
  6. Done!

If you are doing brick recovery, you can follow the very same method with Test Point method also fully described here on XDA Forums.

** IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO RESTORE YOUR UNIT, PLEASE CONSIDER DONATING IT TO ME, SO I CAN BUILD MORE MODS AND TUTORIALS

Here is a video I made on a bespoke project and also shows the modified software features

UPDATE Dec 2020

It has come to my attention that some of you struggle with getting TWRP, ROOT, and ViperFX to work. To remedy this, I have included all the files and instructions in one file together with the memory dump. It is a very easy install process. These steps assume that you have managed to install the memory dump, to begin with. Please follow the instructions to the letter.

UPDATE Apr 2021

- NEW video link

- MORE pictures

- All-In-One file download (memory dump, root, TWRP, Viper etc plus all the tools and guides on how to install them)

UPDATE Jun 2021

Hi all,

ROOT (SuperSU)
TWRP Recovery
Full Memory Dump

Download link

How to use

6. Done!

UPDATE Dec 2020

UPDATE Apr 2021

- NEW video link

- MORE pictures

UPDATE Jun 2021

For 4 hours im very interested with your thread and works. I do really want to try your mods.
But its 3am in here.

About connecting the head unit to PC, do i need wired adapter??

Or i can just use only male to male usb to install all your mod files?
If it is, which usb slot at the headunit that can power it on?

Hope you can help me for this, im intending to take out the headunit in the morning cause of your thread.
Thank you.

iceblue1980

Aug 14, 2020
London
For 4 hours im very interested with your thread and works. I do really want to try your mods.
But its 3am in here.

About connecting the head unit to PC, do i need wired adapter??

Or i can just use only male to male usb to install all your mod files?
If it is, which usb slot at the headunit that can power it on?

Hope you can help me for this, im intending to take out the headunit in the morning cause of your thread.
Thank you.
Hi there, happy you got inspired by the post. You can connect the unit on your desktop if you have a power supply of 12v 5A. If not, you can get something like this. Then connect the red+yellow cable to + and black cable to -.

Use the 4pin usb port. Make sure to install the Mediatek drivers correctly (link in the post).

Backup your unit first (memory dump). Then download the correct file for your model and follow included instructions for every step. Good luck

reep28

Jun 10, 2018
Hi there, happy you got inspired by the post. You can connect the unit on your desktop if you have a power supply of 12v 5A. If not, you can get something like this. Then connect the red+yellow cable to + and black cable to -.

Use the 4pin usb port. Make sure to install the Mediatek drivers correctly (link in the post).

Backup your unit first (memory dump). Then download the correct file for your model and follow included instructions for every step. Good luck
Which red+yellow cable mate?

Can i use the 4pin usb port with male-to-male usb cable to install your mod?
Because i dont have the adapter or power supply either.

Last edited:

iceblue1980

Aug 14, 2020
London
Which red+yellow cable mate?

Can i use the 4pin usb port with male-to-male usb cable to install your mod?
Because i dont have the adapter or power supply either.

Red is ACC cable and yellow is Battery. Black is ground. These are the cables on the 20pin output in the back of the unit. The ISO harness.

You can of course connect it with USB‐A cable to your PC.

Good luck!

reep28

Jun 10, 2018
Red is ACC cable and yellow is Battery. Black is ground. These are the cables on the 20pin output in the back of the unit. The ISO harness.

You can of course connect it with USB‐A cable to your PC.

Good luck!

so it is safe then if i install it only with USB-A cable mate?
im lil bit worried what if in the middle of installation require the headunit on.

like at the end of your flashtool PDF tutorial, it told that it needs to restart from TWRP and wipe cache delvik.
im only using USB-A cable, my android head unit will not be able to ON, so how im supposed to do that part (restart from twrp) mate?

iceblue1980

Aug 14, 2020
London
so it is safe then if i install it only with USB-A cable mate?
im lil bit worried what if in the middle of installation require the headunit on.

like at the end of your flashtool PDF tutorial, it told that it needs to restart from TWRP and wipe cache delvik.
im only using USB-A cable, my android head unit will not be able to ON, so how im supposed to do that part (restart from twrp) mate?

It's never safe to do any modifications on the unit without proper backup.

In the TWRP installation guide, check for instructions that'll answer your question.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @iceblue1980 is this applicable to MTK8127 APL8227L system? This is Chinese AHU but branded with blaupunkt.

I have the dat file, scatter and other system files unpacker, but cant go frm there. Need your assistance to move to your rom.

Device:
    Android 10.1” Digital Capacitive TFT touch with 2.5G IPS screen Car Multimedia audio system with PhoneLINK, Navi Ready (via mSD card, 2GB DDR3 Memory with 16GB flash storage, Wi- Fi ready, 2 USB , Full HD (1080p) video playback via USB, Rear View camera input, Bluetooth – Phone Book & Audio streaming, Video Out, Intuitive GUI, 10 band EQ, 24 bit DA converter 192 kHz, High power 4 x 50 watts output. FLAC File compatible.

spec:

System MCU snap https://forum.xda-developers.com/attachments/20210713_155512-jpg.5360949/

Sorry I wouldn't try it. Your unit is completely different.
    thanks for the revert. its still says 8227L demo in the settings. in scatter file its mentioned as mtk8127.... any other ideas that i can try ?

Am stuck with slow OS by the supplier. Wish i researched XDA b4 buying blaupunkt.

You're welcome and be happy you didn't buy Blaupunkt as it's not real Android but Android Auto. Android Auto is a light version of true Android and only supports a few select apps. For example, you can't use internet browsers on Android Auto so you can't do things like listening to Internet Radio. Also you can't get any cool features or UI customizations. Stay away from Android Auto unless you want spend lots of money for very little value.

You device might have the same Mediatek chip but everything else is probably different. In order for my mods to work you need to have the correct hardware. As an example, your MCU chip has to be STM32F030C8T6. I don't think it is, looking at the specs on the screenshots you shared.

There are many options out there but frankly none of them will be good enough, regardless of their price. All Android car stereos are made in China and use worst components ever because they're cheap to manufacture. The only way to make this units great is to modify them and not just software but hardware as well.

I do this for charity as a hobby of mine but I cannot advertise any services here. I'm happy to help out but check out the video in my signature as it provides more information and shows what this unit can be like.
    Yeah I had another look and found it online, but for some reason not on the Blaupunkt.com but only the Indian site. you could open it up and take high resolution pictures of the motherboard (both sides) and share them?
    I will try to send you pictures this weekend.
    Hi all,

YT9213AJ_00011_V001_20200421.png YT9216B_00002_V004_20200610.png. IMG_20210513_234136.png

ROOT (SuperSU)
    TWRP Recovery
    Full Memory Dump

EQ.png. split screen.png

ad pic.png

Download link

How to use

6. Done!

UPDATE Dec 2020

UPDATE Apr 2021

- NEW video link

- MORE pictures

UPDATE Jun 2021

UPDATE Jul 2021

- Added YT9216BJ guide here

Your mod got me thinking could I do it with the later firmware, it was a mission but it's done, Latest API 27 v6.5 true android 8.1 with working ViPERFX instructions and download here https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...d-8-1-2020-root-and-viper4android-fx.4205037/
    Thank you for your feedback guys. Unfortunately I don't have this unit so I cannot test the memory dump but last time I imported it, everything worked. There might be a number of reasons for the issues you are experiencing and so I've added TWRP, ViperFx, custom Boot Logo and Custom Interface files to the original post so you can manually install them. The good thing is, is that it is super easy and all of these files are optimized for YT9213AJ.
    UPDATE 13 Apr 2021

- NEW video link

- MORE pictures

- All-In-One file download (memory dump, root, TWRP, Viper etcplus all the tools and guides on how to install them)

- View the original post for more info

---------------------------------

Currently working on YT9217B model as well but that'll take a few weeks. Stay tuned
    I have used two days trying to get this working. I guess you need to press ctrl+alt+v in SP flash (advanced mode) for the write memory option. But I can not figure out how to apply hex size from the memory map txt file included in the download. Presumably the memorymap contains the size of the partitions, but SP Flash write mode ask for begin address...?
    Im also wondering why recovery partition does not seem to be included. Is TWRP not installed in the recovery partition?
    Included scatterfile from MT3367 ?

No worries, I have updated the original post with a full guide on how to import this memory dump. Check it out.