• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

GWA2 --> WearOS?

Search This thread

kwaalude

May 17, 2011
Charlotte
Did a search and didn't see anything other than a thread from 2018 that didn't seem to go anywhere. Also, if this is against forum rules...my bad!

To the point! I recently bought both the GWA2 and the Fossil Gen5 to test against each other and then return the one I least preferred. My problem is, I MUCH prefer the hardware and look of the GWA2 (slightly larger screen, more minimal look, better battery life, no crown/button that constantly activates when I bend my wrist, and with the upcoming ECG/EKG - more health tech). The problem is, I really dislike the Tizen OS and feel the WearOS integrates a lot better with my Pixel4. I realize this is completely subjective, but have to believe I'm not the only one to come to this conclusion.

I guess I have a few questions: Is it possible and if so, is there any appetite for this port? Obviously all the other concerns I have would be contingent on whether or not it could be done, but if so would it retain all or most of the device functionality as with Tizen and would the move to WearOS significantly change the battery life?

I'm not a developer of any kind and it's been years since I've even been interested in rooting/flashing any of my phones. Should I just return both of them and hope that Google will do something with Fitbit next year instead?! /s;)

Thanks in advance!

djwuh

Jun 4, 2012
unknown
Just an opinion here but I've had both tizen OS and wear OS watches and I'll tell you right now the wear OS was a much better experience. Especially if your not pairing The tizen Watch with a Samsung phone. The second you connect that tizen watch to a non Samsung phone, about half of the capabilities of the watch no longer work correctly and some of the apps that come stock on the watch actually get removed upon connection. Messaging will not be seamless with the tizen watch. You will miss things. And Bixby is next to useless compared to Google Assistant. Also, if you look at the Samsung App Store the selection is pathetic compared to what is available for Wear OS. At Samsung you only find half finished apps that most of the time don't work. Not enough developers working on apps for Samsung watches because there a dead end. The comparison between the two stores is laughable. Samsung will never catch up. Go ahead and check it out for yourself search the Samsung store for almost anything and you'll find one or two choices available that probably don't work . search the the Google Play Store with the same term and you'll get hundreds of choices. After owning wear OS and switching to tizen I was so frustrated with all the problems I ended up giving it away. Not worth the space on my wrist lol

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Reactions: phubarr and adfree

kwaalude

May 17, 2011
Charlotte
Yeah, the Samsung app store is utterly useless. The few apps it does have are half baked at best. It's a real shame that there's no way to load WearOS on this watch, because it is MUCH nicer (IMO) than the Fossil Gen5 (and by extension any other WearOS watch). I really expected there to be a robust desire on the development front to get WearOS on this watch, because the overall design is great and practically screams for something other than Tizen.
I did keep it over the Fossil, which I ended up returning. There are simply too many warts with the hardware to make it an enjoyable experience, which is a shame because the software is so much more integrated when using it with a Pixel.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just an opinion here but I've had both tizen OS and wear OS watches and I'll tell you right now the wear OS was a much better experience. Especially if your not pairing The tizen Watch with a Samsung phone. The second you connect that tizen watch to a non Samsung phone, about half of the capabilities of the watch no longer work correctly and some of the apps that come stock on the watch actually get removed upon connection. Messaging will not be seamless with the tizen watch. You will miss things. And Bixby is next to useless compared to Google Assistant. Also, if you look at the Samsung App Store the selection is pathetic compared to what is available for Wear OS. At Samsung you only find half finished apps that most of the time don't work. Not enough developers working on apps for Samsung watches because there a dead end. The comparison between the two stores is laughable. Samsung will never catch up. Go ahead and check it out for yourself search the Samsung store for almost anything and you'll find one or two choices available that probably don't work . search the the Google Play Store with the same term and you'll get hundreds of choices. After owning wear OS and switching to tizen I was so frustrated with all the problems I ended up giving it away. Not worth the space on my wrist lol

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk