• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[H930/H930G] TWRP alpha testing

Search This thread

paour

Thanks you for your time, but I don't know, maybe I'm not clear enough or I don't really understand what you're all trying to say (more than a possibility lol), this is exactly what I'm doing:
Pastebin version with numbered rows, use it, I'll refer to the exact rows below.
Plain text:

As line #16 shows, I'm actually root, I backup the file and copy the new one in /system/fonts (#18, #21), as lines #26 and #27 point out I have two very different files (different sizes), I change the files permissions (#29, #32) and the output of #35 is actually what I want.
I reboot the device into the ROM, at line #51 you can see I'm not root anymore, and the command at #53 just prints ONE file, the ORIGINAL one (note that the file size is exactly the NotoColorEmoji.ttf.old's one), but I should be able to see both (chmod 644, everyone can read/see those files).
I boot again in recovery, give command at #73 and it says that there are TWO files, the ones I want to have.

Why? It seems like TWRP is working on a virtual file system of its own.

Yes, I have mounted /system as read and write, otherwise it gives an error when you try to access it.
Also, please note that I still see the stock Android emojis, not the ones contained in the new file (the 8MB one), and even if the file is not supported/broken/whatever I should see nothing, not the stock emojis.
I think what you did was update your recovery's font. When in twrp, /system is not your rom's system partition; that's probably mounted elsewhere.

boredz

Apr 26, 2013
I think what you did was update your recovery's font. When in twrp, /system is not your rom's system partition; that's probably mounted elsewhere.

Well, that's weird, any documentation about this behaviour? I can find nothing ?
By any chance do you know where the rom's system partition is mounted? ?

Thank you for your reply ?

EddieIsBored

Dec 8, 2017
Having issues with TWRP, it can't decrypt my internal storage. I've tried no password and a very basic one, and each time they don't decrypt it. A bit stuck here tbh. I have a H930 in the UK

cultofluna

Nov 25, 2015
Google Pixel 4 XL
Google Pixel 5
Having issues with TWRP, it can't decrypt my internal storage. I've tried no password and a very basic one, and each time they don't decrypt it. A bit stuck here tbh. I have a H930 in the UK
Did you read the OP...

"" will probably never work:
[*]Encryption - LG's proprietary encryption is beyond my capabilities - it is possible to support encryption on custom ROMs however. ""

Robb3rt

Aug 18, 2011
Heerenveen
Hi!

I am new in the LG rooting unlocking business..

I have an V30 (LG-H930)

But how about warranty? if this void if you unlock your phone?

Last edited:

bosskillers

Oct 14, 2015
Nyons
hello modules do not want to settle, how to do thank you for directing me

---------- Post added at 14:33 ---------- Previous post was at 14:23 ----------

hello modules do not want to install, how to do thank you for directing me .. the problem Xposed framework sdk 25 when I install the modules disappear from magisk

Maximus41

May 27, 2010
Your warranty is voided when you unlock the bootloader and it cannot be undone. It's mentioned in the page where you request your unlock code.

Hi, I have unlocked and rooted HTC Desire, HTC Sensation XE, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S6, LG G4 and now LG V30.
The HTC Sensation was repaired by HTC for free with no quibbles(wifi problem), the Galaxy S4 had the motherboard replaced for free with no problems and the LG G4 had the motherboard replaced for free with no problem.

All the above had unlocked bootloaders and were rooted and still have recovery installed... I will take the chance and root all the time phones can be rooted....

Heath

Reactions: ChazzMatt and ant78

igotroot

Dec 4, 2010
Hi, I have unlocked and rooted HTC Desire, HTC Sensation XE, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S6, LG G4 and now LG V30.
The HTC Sensation was repaired by HTC for free with no quibbles(wifi problem), the Galaxy S4 had the motherboard replaced for free with no problems and the LG G4 had the motherboard replaced for free with no problem.

All the above had unlocked bootloaders and were rooted and still have recovery installed... I will take the chance and root all the time phones can be rooted....

Heath

You rooted the LG V30 ?

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
You rooted the LG V30 ?

Yes, because he has one of the European models (H930/H930G)which has already received LG Developer official bootloader unlock. North American US998 will be next on the list.

bootloader_unlock_v30.png

We told people what to buy back in early September to get guaranteed root... either the European or North America official carrier unlocked models.

Surprisingly LG has added a European LG V30+ to the list, which was sold by TIM carrier in Italy. I have no explanation for that, but guess they wanted European V30+ on the list too, which is good.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017
TWRP works perfectly on my H930, so far I've installed Magisk and Xposed Framework (non-Magisk variant) with all my favorite modules (including Blurred System UI that works surprisingly well on Nougat and XHFW3). It's a shame that I can't access the internal SD but an external one works just fine. Overall I don't have any bugs to report, everything works as expected so far, thank you.

Can I ask, as I've only ever had Nexus devices how did you install xposed without having access to the storage in TWRP to flash it? Also I've never used Magisk will I need it?

Edit: read the post again, was it flashed through external SD?

Wolfas

Aug 14, 2009
Kaunas
Can I ask, as I've only ever had Nexus devices how did you install xposed without having access to the storage in TWRP to flash it? Also I've never used Magisk will I need it?

Edit: read the post again, was it flashed through external SD?

You're right, I flashed it through the external SD, that method worked just fine.
Magisk is a rather weird thing. It has SU so it can replace Superuser and it has a convenient ability to install modules that provide all sorts of functionality. It's not necessary but worth trying out

Pisolo

Sep 12, 2007
Padova
Yes, because he has one of the European models (H930/H930G)which has already received LG Developer official bootloader unlock. North American US998 will be next on the list.

@ChazzMatt
What do you know, the model LG V30 + H930DS Dual Sim 128GB 4G that I'm waiting for days from UK, I can manually unlock the bootloader or I will have already unlocked the bootloader ... ????
Ordered here: https://www.bravobuy.co.it/it_IT/product/lg-v30-h930ds-dual-sim-libero-128gb-4g-argento.html

Google translator

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Reactions: Pisolo

tpznk

Dec 13, 2017
English is not my native language - so sorry for weird language.

@jcadduono First of all, a big thanks to you and all the other developers who deliver an astonishing good work. As I tested flashing and installing I ran into an issue with the encryption. I followed your steps just as advised but in addition, I wiped the internal storage as well. After restarting from recovery it says “your passphrase(for safe start) is correct but unfortunately your data is corrupt thus the need for factory reset“ leading me to a restat. Now here is the thing : could it be related to the newest security-patch-update which I installed from november? Or might it be related to the internal-storage-wipe?

Edit: after flashing stock recovery , booting normally and reflashing twrp everything went fine....so sorry for bothering.
And again....great job! :D

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    https://adduono.com/twrp-test/twrp-3.1.1-0-h930.img

go ham

NOT FOR T-MOBILE LG V30/V30+ H932 OR ANYTHING OTHER THAN H930/H930G!
    however, if you find an exploit to flash this to an unlocked bootloader H932 then have at it!

don't forget to unlock your bootloader first: http://developer.lge.com/resource/mobile/RetrieveBootloader.dev?categoryId=CTULRS0702
    if LG's bootloader unlock page says your device isn't eligible, then you are officially screwed!

you must use fastboot to flash it to your recovery partition, from there, do the factory reset button dance
    i have no idea how to do that so tell a friend

warning: if you boot the OS after flashing recovery, it will just replace it with stock recovery!
    solution: swipe to enable modifications in TWRP after accepting factory reset screen (it won't actually wipe your device, twrp will ignore the request)

if you are having trouble with that, you can flash twrp to boot partition instead, and probably get away with flashing your boot image to recovery.
    using it backwards like this, you will default boot into twrp, then you can select reboot -> recovery to get into your rom. it's just like having a GRUB menu, ha!
    you should have an extra copy of boot.img for your current rom if you want to go this route!

tested working:
    • OTG storage
    • MTP
    • ADB
    • Mass Storage mode (legacy sdcard as flash drive mode!)
    • Brightness
    • no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.0.zip (download here)

please test:
    • Backup/Restore
    • f2fs (requires a custom kernel to boot, LG does not have it enabled in stock)
    • exFAT sdcards
    • NTFS (via OTG storage)
    • time/date? (be sure to set your timezone correctly)
    • STABILITY - LG really sucks at kernel modifications and any small thing could cause a NULL pointer exception and crash
    • Magisk stable (root that puppy, MAKE BACKUPS FIRST!)
    • SuperSU (don't flash it with Magisk lol)
    • Backing up EFS and emailing it to me so I can sell to the highest chinese bidder

will probably never work:
    • Encryption - LG's proprietary encryption is beyond my capabilities - it is possible to support encryption on custom ROMs however.

you can flash no-verity-opt-encrypt then format your data partition to disable encryption (i think?)
    LG might just encrypt it regardless, who knows

you can disable LG's root checker daemon/service by flashing this cool zip https://build.nethunter.com/android-tools/lg-rctd-disabler/

crashes can be diagnosed by entering back into recovery immediately after the crash and doing adb pull /sys/fs/pstore then uploading pstore folder for me to stare at in confusion

when all is tested and happy, I will close this thread, submit it to twrp.me, and open an official TWRP thread.

thanks for your participation

special thanks to @wolfgart for providing factory images to work off, and doing all the dangerous pre-alpha testing for me, and allowing me to use SSH to talk to his device.

SOURCES (never trust a man without them)
    kernel: https://github.com/jcadduono/android_kernel_lge_msm8998/commits/twrp-7.1
    device tree: https://github.com/jcadduono/android_device_lge_h930

UNDECIDED IDEAS
    • should it be called h930? officially it is called joan/joan_global_com
    • should I make it a unified device and have it automatically populate with correct model by reading serial number (H930 vs H930G) or just have it H930 for simplicity
    • should I update the f2fs driver to f2fs-stable upstream
    • should I include crypto libs and qseecomd for custom ROMs to use HW encryption (may cause delayed startup/longer boot in TWRP for everyone else)
    • should I just hand this off to someone who actually owns the device to maintain themselves
    • should I log out of XDA and go back to playing World of Warcraft for another few years
    It would be nice to get feedback from the community on these as I know sometimes my choices may be different than yours if I don't know what you want
    Good morning
    Any available link for H93010f_00_OPEN_EU_OP_0925.kdz....
    LG problem servers,
    Is somebody able to upload on it's own, or somewhere else?
    That would be great
    Kindly yours from an old man

Please upload v10f...

Wysłane z mojego LG-H930 przy użyciu Tapatalka

I'm uploading the F version to MEGA. Once done, I'll post the link.

PD: DONE. link here
    Damn im my country (Poland) we don't have upgrade yet :/ Im still on V10b-260-06. I have dowload H93010v_00_OPEN_EU_OP_1120.kdz but no one can help me with flashing :/ (im not noob, but only new in LG ;)

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g5/development/uppercut-lgup-loader-g5-variants-t3511295

UPPERCUT let me flash .kdz ;) thats why i could downgrade to V10f to flash twrp.img
    You have to flash TWRP again. After flashing TWRP from bootloader screen, you have to immediately boot to TWRP and allow changes or else TWRP is not successfully installed. Instead you will still have stock recovery.

If you install TWRP from bootloader screen and just reboot, then you didn't really install TWRP. ;)

Sent from my official carrier unlocked LG V30+ US998

At least I made it!!!
    The only problem was to immediatly boot after flashing TWRP, switching off the H930.
    First I deplug from my PC, option to shut off with vol+ and vol- on bootloader mode
    Then I followed the combination off button, and orders.
    "Recovery Mode LG V30 H930, H933

Turn off the device
    Press and hold Volume down key and Power Key for a few seconds
    Release Power key only when LG Logo appears
    Keep pressing Volume down key and then press Power Key again until Recovery Mode appears
    This time I am rooted, TWRP installed and Magisk-v15.2(1520).zip fully working
    Think you for precious help
    Be aware that getting into recovery maybe different from one model to another...
    OK. So US998 - Performing a backup

TWRP is not recognizing my internal storage (as seen when looking at the storage locations under BACKUP. 0 MB for internal storage.

I attempted a full system backup to external storage, but it failed...:confused:

Attempted backup of everything except the system image and data > WORKED

It doest recognize /data (or /data/media which is your internal storage) because its using a special LG encryption. TWRP cant decrypt that.
    If you want it to recognize it, perform a backup of everything you love of your internal storage and perform the following steps:
    1) fully format /data (the one where you have to confirm with "yes")
    2) flash the no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.0.zip (when you then boot up again it wont encrypt anything and you can perform backups like youre used to :) )
    3) go through the initial setup again (as you completly wiped data, but atleast you can do backups from now on)