• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

HACK Navigation/Multimedia systems KIA/HYUNDAI and install third-party applications

Search This thread

CTrink

Nov 11, 2021
New November 2021 update for Gen5W here in the US has put a password lock on engineering mode.
IMG-2360.jpg

IMG-2361.jpg

I'm in the same boat as you. Except in the 21 Sorento, it's 10x left and 1x right after the Nov 8th update. Still no luck finding the passcode though.

J4CY

Nov 8, 2021
New November 2021 update for Gen5W here in the US has put a password lock on engineering mode.

I'm in the same boat as you. Except in the 21 Sorento, it's 10x left and 1x right after the Nov 8th update. Still no luck finding the passcode though.
Yeah, I've been trying out different things but no dice. Tried current time (in 24h format), 0000, 1234, 2400, and a bunch of other ones I've seen in this forum. Just gotta keep trying

Reactions: CTrink

ada003

Oct 22, 2021
Navigation Updater is live in Europe! It's now possible to download the EU firmware for any European model.

So now if anyone knows how to get into engineering mode for an i20 with November 2021 firmware, I'd appreciate any tips! I never did find a way in with the March 2021 firmware, here's hoping for better luck this time.

Reactions: NoOneCanHelpMe

Mohamed Shurrab

Mar 18, 2021
Help in that screen stuck like that
Kia sportage 2017 korian origin
After unsuccessful system update due to shut down car during uodate

Attachments

• 20210315_105801.jpg
    20210315_105801.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 191
Last edited:

weskin

Dec 2, 2014
Hi everyone!

i have questions:

1. Where i can found the sd card location in i30 my19? isnt visible. Maybe behind the screen?
2. When i entry engenieering mode i no password is needed. And the menu can i see is so poor. why?
3. Can i enable the wifi module from this menu? some people can.

Thanks!!

vegeta340

May 14, 2013
Hi All, I have a Kia Niro my20 with 10'25 infotainment system. After latest (November 2021) update password for engineering mode (0428) stopped working. Password for dealer mode (2400) still work. Maybe someone here know a new password or other metod to get the engineering mode working again?

SK1182

Nov 16, 2021
Good day

Its is possible to grey out the navigation system on GEN5 WIDE OS audio system on Hyundai vehicles?
At the moment I am using Car Play, which has maps on so don't want the audio navigation as well.

Any help please?

Thank you.

Oct 24, 2010
Hi all,

Hoping someone can help...

I have a 2017 Elantra (USA with navi) with updated software from March 2021. I can't seem to access ANY of the engineering modes from any of the procedures I've found in this thread. I've tried:
  • Settings > General > SW Info > Tap 5 times bottom-left 1 time bottom-right (This used to work in prior versions to March 2021)
  • Settings > General > System Info > Volume 7-press right knob, Volume 3-press right knob, Volume 1-press right knob
  • Settings > Display > Screensaver > Digital - Analog - None, back and forth 7 times
The "hidden keypad" option doesn't seem to be applicable in this version of software since the update button has moved to "SW Info" screen.

Anyone have any tips or ideas for this SW version?

Another note: I have full access to shop manuals for all Hyundais but after a thorough search, there's absolutely no mention of an engineering or dealer mode in the AVN System manuals. If anyone might know of another hidden place I can look in the shop manuals, be my guest. I have access for another month from date of this post before my subscription expires.

See attached screenshots for versioning.

EDIT: I'm currently updating to the Nov. 2021 version to see if the 10x-left 2x-right method mentioned above works for me. Will edit again if it works.

EDIT 2: No luck on the Nov. 2021 update

Attachments

• 20211122_154151.jpg
    20211122_154151.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 89
  • 20211122_154137.jpg
    20211122_154137.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 91
Last edited:

dragsterman

Sep 15, 2013
Hi,

I have instelled 3rd party apps on my Hyundai Ioniq electric 2017. (sw:181002)

I want to revert back to stock head unit.

Can I perform a factory reset from the engineering mode without problems?

hhyhd9000

Aug 20, 2019
Hi ,guys , I have bought a hyundai Palisade 2021 (10.25' head unit ,android 4.4.2 ) one mouth ago ,I find there is Baidu carlife and no CarPlay.apk ( Android Auto )in the head unit in our region . but the palisade support CarPlay around the world . Does anyone could provide me the hyundai palisade CarPlay.apk and phoneproject.apk download link ,Thanks so much for your help.
解决了么㊗️

hhyhd9000

Aug 20, 2019
Can anyone give me a copy of the file carplay.apk in the Kia multimedia system, if possible, that would be very much appreciated

yyyoel

Jul 30, 2015
hi everyone

i have sportage / picanto 2021

and no all the methods i tried didn't work
can someone please help me
thanks

Attachments

• 16383674275302131239297848870985.jpg
    16383674275302131239297848870985.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 92

Unjustified Dev

Recognized Developer
Oct 21, 2012
Memphis , TN

I think that's a dummy screen to trick people. From decompiling my system on my unit before they removed adb. What you want to do is set the radio to FM then set the volume to 2. Then tap 6 times to the left and one to the right in the same sw info screen. A completely different password entry similar to dealer mode will come up password is 2801. Hint: Hyundai will see this and that's the last backdoor I held out. It existed even when I shared the hold media button method. If that password screen does have an actual password there's no way to find it.

J4CY

Nov 8, 2021
I think that's a dummy screen to trick people. From decompiling my system on my unit before they removed adb. What you want to do is set the radio to FM then set the volume to 2. Then tap 6 times to the left and one to the right in the same sw info screen. A completely different password entry similar to dealer mode will come up password is 2801. Hint: Hyundai will see this and that's the last backdoor I held out. It existed even when I shared the hold media button method. If that password screen does have an actual password there's no way to find it.
Quick, delete this! 😂 It works, and yeah, most likely Hyundai will see it and will be removed.

Reactions: CTrink

army65

Sep 16, 2016
cuneo
Good morning
any of you know the way to get into engineering mod?
I should do a Factory reset, as after solving a block with olega59's usb keyboard method, the volume wheel does not work when restarting
in the dealership they updated without my consent so it was blocked (with third-party apps installed)
After using the olega59 method, however, I still found the new firmware of which I do not know sequences on the display to get to the engineering menu useful for resetting
thanks to who will answer

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211205-122256.jpg
    Screenshot_20211205-122256.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 105

J4CY

Nov 8, 2021
Anyone know how to enable the camera view on Gen5W while in motion above 10mph+, perhaps through engineering mode? Would be nice to be able to view the camera feed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anyone got Engineering mode in Post 12th November 2021 Navigation Map and Software Update??

On Kia Sportage 2018, using Gen5. Using 7, 3, 1 method and code 2400... i can get Dealer Mode.

Tried various other mentioned codes, all just appear to reject and throw you out to main menu

Not sure why you cannot connect. In my case I've tried on 210111 and 211027 and it worked on both versions. First you do the map trick (replacing the lib file) to invoke the ctstest menu and enable adb. Once adb is enabled, you turn on hotspot on your android phone and connect the head unit to this hot spot. Then you need to find out what's the ip address of your head unit and enter this ip address in Easy Fire Tools and then connect. It worked on my Compact Gen5. If you have Standard Gen5 or Gen5 Wide you might need to somehow enable the 5555 port. I've seen it mentioned on some other forum but not sure where exactly.
    Been looking for a while, I think this route method needs adapting or is now closed out by software update. The instructions apply well, all screen appear, etc. But just not getting any ports open with which in can open an Adb session. Can't find anything which allows me to open ports, etc.

On other forum people are saying that in order to activate the 5555 port you need to plug in the Ethernet adapter into yours car USB port.

"without it, the port will not open, this is a security hole,
    you do not need to insert anything into it"

You can try that and let us know if this works
    :D Sorry for my English! :D
    CAUTION: USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!
    YouTube, your favorite navigation app, video player, online radio, online TV etc. now works on factory multimedia.
    No need to connect your multimedia to internet!
    This method works fine on models 2016-2018 of issue:
    KIA: Optima JF (K5), Rio, Soul, Ceed, Sorento Prime, Stinger, Sportage, Cerato (Forte) (may be other).
    HYUNDAI: Solaris, SantaFe, Sonata, Elantra, Creta, Genesis G70, Genesis G80 (may be other).
    On board we have Navigation/Multimedia system on Android 4.2.2;

All fine-work applications on my Cloud drive HERE
    Please watch all videos from my YouTube channel Everything about everything

If you like this please — Donate!:fingers-crossed:
    PayPal – [email protected]
    If you are not sure in your actions - I can lead you by Skype (WhatsApp, Telegram)

WARNING!
    Do not install any LAUNCHERS (NovaLauncher etc.) or ROOT - it`s brick your device.
    Do not do anything else! Do not enter in other sections of Engineering mode.
    Be patient and follow the instructions strictly!

FIRST:
    Download all the apps from my Cloud drive HERE
    And put all this files to root of the USB drive (FAT32)

Let`s Go!
    This hack method no need`s to connect your multimedia to internet, if necessary
    - activate wifi access point on your phone or use wifi router. Connect your multimedia system to hotspot.
    You can watch my VIDEO MANUAL on YouTube HERE

ENGINEERING MODE:
    Go to All Menus -> Settings -> Screensaver.
    To enter in the Engineering mode you need to tap 7 times under screensavers icons (on red rings) from left to right and back.

do it fast.
    Great! Now we have password window! The password is – time on your clock now!

Ok, its luck!

ANDROID SETTINGS:
    Now we need to enter to Android settings -> Security and activate Unknown resources.

Done! This will give us the opportunity to install applications from the USB drive.
    Note: this system hasn`t go Google apps, Play Market etc.
    Push Home button and then we need to access to Engineering mode again.

INSTALLING FILE MANAGER:
    To access to the USB drive and install all the applications we need to install File Manager first!
    Go to All Menus -> Settings -> Screensaver, tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap, password - time on clock.
    Engineering mode -> All Applications -> Browser

On adress bar write: file:///storage/usb0/file.apk and tap OK!

Now you can install the File Manager, install it and tap Open!

Got it!

INSTALLING APPS:
    In File Manager -> USB Storage you will see all apps.
    Fist install EasyTouch, when it`s intalled tap Open.

Play EasyTouch Demo and them tap Go.
    Note: EasyTouch Settings works only on portrait orientation (don`t be afraid it`s mormal).
    So, there are many settings, they are no need us now, we need just activate EasyTouch button.

Done! Now push Home and than tap EasyTouch button to open а window. Now we have BACK and HOME buttons.

With long press on any icon in this window it can changed. Change one of them by choosing Engineering mode shortcut on Choose app -Done! Tap anywhere to close window.
    Call the window again, swipe left and open Android settings -> Special abilities -> Services EasyTouch - ON

That’s Ok, now we can normally surf in internet and have all shortcuts of any apps.

SOUND FIX:
    Note: Sound on third-party apps works only on MEDIA MODE whit connected USB flash drive (with media files) or with connected Bluetooth device.
    On RADIO or AUX MODE sounds from third-party apps doesn’t works!
    So, push EasyTouch button then swipe window and choose File Manager. Open USB storage and install SoundAbout, the Open it.

Now we in SoundAbout settings. Choose on MEDIA AUDIO - Wired Headphones and that`s all.
    Tap EasyTouch button and BACK.
    Now we need to restart the multimedia - push reset button in SD card slot one time (or find it near you screen). Or you can turn off ACC, open and close driver door and wait 5 minutes to restart the Multimedia.
    Sound fixed!
    Now you can install any apps and it will be working fine with sound!

YOUTUBE:
    On board we hasn`t got Google apps, so we need to install YouTube modification – YOUTUBE VANCED
    Push EasyTouch button then swipe window and choose File Manager. Open USB storage and install YouTube Vanced.
    Now you can try it!
    Open EasyTouch window and place YOUTUBE VANCED shortcut.

VLC PLAYER:
    Push EasyTouch button then swipe window and choose File Manager. Open USB storage and install VLC Lite.
    Go to VLC Settings -> Hardware accelerationFull acceleration. Set it because we has poor hardware.
    Now you can watch films, clips, cartoons and everything you want from your USB flash drive or SD card.
    Don`t forget about shortcut.

HERE NAVIGATION (or another favorite navigation):
    Note: Do not forget to connect WIFI first.
    Push EasyTouch button then swipe window and choose File Manager. Open USB storage and install HERE WeGo, launch, place shortcut.

You can install everything applications you need but remember:
    DO NOT INSTALL ANY LAUNCHERS AND ROOT. DO NOT OPEN ANYTHING ELSE IN THE ENGINEERING MENU.

If you are not sure in your actions - I can lead you by Skype (WhatsApp, Telegram)
    Thanks!:victory:
    Hi guys,
    On my Tucson (2018 - AA) I can only access the engineering mode where I don't...

Update on another model thet does not allow the "full engineering menu":
    2018 Elantra SEL USA version.
    NO: Cannot access the engineering mode that enables app installations (7 taps over 3 points on settings/screensaver).
    YES. Can access the engineering mode from Settings/System Info (5 taps left - 1 tab right).

Looking forward to the hero that finds out how to jailbreak these versions!!
    MOBIS multimedia

Hi guys.

{Mod edit}
    I published a very important post. This is a short introduction to the hack of the entire MOBIS line.
    I will give it to you in a short form. :)

Strongly advise against experimenting with a live car. Moreover, in order to conduct experiments on the stand, you need to be firmly convinced that you can restore the device in case of an unsuccessful experiment. It is very important !!!

So, what do we have ... We have a MOBIS device under study installed on many KIA and HYUNDAI models. MOBIS took a little more care of the way to restore their devices, unlike LG's brothers, and left for us an entertaining feature, which will be discussed later.

What will the information from the first part give you:
    1) way to enter recovery mode without removing the device from the car
    2) theoretical layout of the use of this feature

What will an inexperienced user poke into everything in a row ???
    Correctly! BRICK! Beautiful brick! Therefore, we read further carefully!
    The information is intended for developers only. Not for ordinary users.

Part 1 Theoretical.

So, in order to enter the service mode, it is enough for us to hold the Power (Volume) + HOME buttons on the turned off device and apply power.

Buttons can be released.
    After demonstrating the graphic screen saver, the device screen will darken and go into service mode.
    The main task of this mode is to read from the FLASH disk (the size of the flash drive is no more than 4gb, the FAT32 file system) the USB file lk.rom and write it to two BOOT sections boot1 and boot2.

Important! If you do not have a copy of your lk.rom and flash the other one, then with a high probability you will get a full brick, a semi-brick with a boot loop or other troubles :)

What can be done:
    1) By patching lk.rom you can enter FWDN mode and read/write the entire contents of eMMC
    2) By patching lk.rom can fall out in FASTBOOT
    3) You can download partitions in this mode directly from USB
    4) By creating your own lk.rom you can become the god of the device

How to use this method, everyone will decide for himself. Most importantly, do not forget to share with the public.
    Further development of this topic will be. In parallel, the theoretical and practical part will be posted on the LG branch.

To be continued...

I’m ready to listen to your suggestions and wishes both in the branch and in the PM :)

Scheduled Chapters:
    Part 2. Practical. (FWDN, FASTBOOT)
    Part 3. Practical. (Brick restoration using ISP)
    Part 4. Practical. (Creating update files)
    Part 5. Practical. (Creating, compiling, testing custom lk.rom)

P.S. Sorry for my English ! :)
    Now that we can sideload apps, is there any way to let Android auto work wirelessly?

Inviato dal mio MI PAD 4 utilizzando Tapatalk

Of course ! Just install Headunit Reloaded (4.6) on the car system.
    Set it with your phone name (SSID) used for wifi server, and leave IP blank (auto).

The wifi mode of Headunit will automatically connect to Android Auto if this one is in developer mode and its server mode launched.

Everything can be totally automatic, the phone can stay in the pocket. Android Auto appears on the main screen few seconds after the wifi connnection to the phone.
    Here is a video explaining everything