[HACK][ROOT] FREE SIM unlock for HTC First

Search This thread

dramon

Aug 14, 2011
Didn't do anything. Wifi and bluetooth works without sim card but doesn't work with a sim card (the network doesn't support LTE, out of USA).

Yes i've got the exact same problem!
After factory resetting, wifi works , but as soon as you insert sim card the wifi stops working until you factory reset and boot up without a sim card.

I tried looking for a fix here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1445766 , but it didnt work.A lot of users have the same problem, something to do with wifi country codes

Last edited:

kpetrie77

Aug 14, 2007
Fort Worth
www.howdoitech.com
Didn't do anything. Wifi and bluetooth works without sim card but doesn't work with a sim card (the network doesn't support LTE, out of USA).
Yes i've got the exact same problem!
After factory resetting, wifi works , but as soon as you insert sim card the wifi stops working until you factory reset and boot up without a sim card.

I tried looking for a fix here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1445766 , but it didnt work.A lot of users have the same problem, something to do with wifi country codes
so there is no fix?
This looks like your fix: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2368501

Use mild edition instructions. You can ask questions in that thread if you need help with it.

playerpatrick

Jun 6, 2009
For those who cant access the link. Use those process!

ROOT NEEDED!
Don't attempt unless you are already rooted

1) Install the Terminal Emulator from the Play Store

2) Extract the block containing the unlock code (mmcblk0p6)
Code:
su dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 of=/sdcard/system.img

3) Transfer the img file to pc and open with hex editor, look for offset 00008939. There will be your unlock code

NOTE: This process is only for the HTC First. I haven't attempted with any other device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thought I would share some information I wrote up on our site with you guys. The SIM unlock code on the HTC First is stored on mmcblk0p6 just it has been on several other HTC devices. However, in this case, it is not masked like it was on last year's HTC phones. So, if you have a rooted HTC First, all you need to do to get your unlock code is dd a copy of mmcblk0p6 and look at offset 00008939 in a hex editor to get the digits of your unlock code.

Instructions:
    http://androidfannetwork.com/2013/05/13/free-sim-unlock-for-the-htc-first-facebook-phone/

Hope this saves someone a few bucks.

Update, this is an even easier way to pull the unlock code (root still required.)
    Just picked up one of these for $150 on eBay- an excellent value. Anyway, just wanted to post a method you can run once rooted (or via recovery) w/o requiring anything except "adb":

Code:
    adb shell su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 skip=35129 count=8 bs=1 2>/dev/null ; echo'
    Just picked up one of these for $150 on eBay- an excellent value. Anyway, just wanted to post a method you can run once rooted (or via recovery) w/o requiring anything except "adb":

Code:
    adb shell su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 skip=35129 count=8 bs=1 2>/dev/null ; echo'
    Does that mean I can use the HTC first on a different carrier?
    I'm considering on getting one just to unlock and use with a prepaid t-mobile plan.
    It seems like a great phone but why is it so underrated?

That is correct. You do need to compare the frequencies that the phone supports to make sure that you will get data, and at what speed (whether it be hspa/hspa+/LTE). Per this thread, it seems like it will only get high speed TMO data coverage in areas that have been refarmed to 1900MHz, with just EDGE coverage elsewhere.
    This worked great for me. I used a Verizon SIM from an iPhone 5 with a nanoSIM adaptor. I was concerned that it wouldn't work since I wasn't prompted for a code while using the Sense ROM, but I restored to stock and I was prompted for my code and it was successful. I don't plan to use the phone with another carrier, but I prefer to have it unlocked for any unforeseen events.

Sent from my HTC first using xda app-developers app
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone