[Hack] Unlblocking Market Apps (Market 2.3.6)

Search This thread

ZDjKT7Ec

Apr 7, 2011
Bump.

Still working for Gingerbread. And Google still wastes no time pushing version Play 3.x. Under Managing Applications simply Uninstall Updates still re-enables the unlocked Market 2.x allowing one to install otherwise unavailable apps. Can Play/ Market be stopped from auto-updating? (The old version is preferred for more than just being unlocked.)

Last edited:

Josh2903

Jun 24, 2012
Cannot get this to work

OK I have followed all of the steps exactly and cannot get this to work. I have rooted with gingerbreak and have an Lg Optimus V. I have disabled the market from updating so that Google PLay cannot install. This is not working on my phone. I have tryed it many many times. IF anyone can offer any assistance it would be greatly appreciated. To the person who posted above me you can disable the market updater by simply deleting the market updater file. You will want to make a backup though because this is a system file.

Michael_P

Jun 3, 2012
Everything went through as it should but no new Apps showed up and my usb keyboard and back button on remote and mouse stopped working on my Mele A2000 media player so had to restore original files.

19iceman32

Jan 7, 2012
Makati
hello all,

understand that in the first post that you need a market 2.3.6.
after finishing the guide, will the market auto update to latest google play and still can browse/download incompatible games/apps of the device.

Thanks !

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING: It appears that doing the following changes will mean you can not use the online version of the market to push apps to your phone!

The following hack DOES NOT unlock paid apps.
    The following instructions are for phones which apps don't show up in the market due to.
    1) No flash or auto-focus on camera
    2) Apps are protected and do not show up on unrecognized phones
    3) Screen size is too small (mostly for QVGA users)

(If your missing apps due to country restrictions use market enabler)

Thanks go to Atl4ntis for the patched Vending.apk

This has been tested for android 2.2.1 and 2.3.4 on IDEOS U1850. It should work for any phone I believe, however I don't have anything else to test this on.

WARNING: I am not responsible if anything happens to your phone. Whilst the procedure should be safe, always do a backup before editing system files.

You will need a file explorer with root access, these instructions assume you are using root explorer (this could also be done through ADB)

Dowload the Market fix files.zip and extract vending.apk and android.hardware.camera.flash-autofocus.xml onto your sd-card

1. Go to manage applications, all tab.
    2. Go to market, clear cache, data and force stop
    3. Go to Google Services framework, clear data and force stop
    4. Copy vending.apk over file in \system\app\ (make sure you mount r/w if it's not letting you copy)
    5. Longpress vending.apk and change permissions to be rw-r--r-- (read + write for owner, just read for group and user)
    6. Copy android.hardware.camera.flash-autofocus.xml to \System\etc\permissions\ (you don't need to copy this if it already exists in that folder)
    7. If copied change permissions to be rw-r--r-- (read + write for owner, just read for group and user)
    8. Edit the following build.prop lines to be the following (Some of these lines may already be correct)
    Froyo:
    ro.build.id=FRG83
    ro.build.fingerprint=google/passion/passion/mahimahi:2.2.1/FRG83/60505:user/release-keys
    ro.build.description=passion-user 2.2.1 FRG83 60505 release-keys

Gingerbread:
    ro.build.id=GRJ22
    ro.build.display.id=GRJ22
    ro.product.name=soju
    ro.product.device=crespo
    ro.build.description=soju-user 2.3.4 GRJ22 121341 release-keys
    ro.build.fingerprint=google/soju/crespo:2.3.4/GRJ22/121341:user/release-keys

(if you edit the build.prop on the pc then copy it back over, please don't forget to fix permissions to be rw-r--r--)

9. Reboot phone, and give it a bit of extra time to startup before opening the market.
    10. Open market, agree to TOS.
    11. Go to manage applications, all tab.
    12. Go to market, clear cache and force stop (DO NOT CLEAR DATA)
    13. Go to Google Services framework, clear data and force stop
    14. Open market, and you should get an error. (This is good)
    15. Restart phone again.

And tad-ah, you should be able to access pretty much anything.
    Please let me know if this works or doesn't work for you, what phone you are using, what ROM and what app you can't access (if that's the problem).
    It was my first time for trying downloading HiddenSSID Enabler app. Just wonder if anyone else can try on a Huawei U8150 with a different ROM.

Thanks, Smtih.

I'm running gingerman and can get it fine by following all the changes in this thread. Are you also installing the cracked 2.3.6 market. Just the build.prop changes may not be enough
    For custom screen density, it appears that two changes were needed. Note that this will masquerade as HIGH (240) on everything, so it's not a good idea for tablets. These are diffs against the OP's .apk:

Code:
    --- ../2/com/android/vending/model/DeviceConfiguration.smali    2011-10-31 20:51:53.000000000 +0000
    +++ com/android/vending/model/DeviceConfiguration.smali 2011-11-03 20:43:13.000000000 +0000
    @@ -1174,16 +1174,21 @@
         .parameter "screenDensity"

.prologue
         .line 302
         iget-object v0, p0, Lcom/android/vending/model/DeviceConfiguration;->mProto:Lcom/google/common/io/pr

const/4 v1, 0x7

+#   const/16 p1, 0x78  # let's lie about our ldpi density!
    +#   const/16 p1, 0xa0  # let's lie about our mdpi density!
    +    const/16 p1, 0xf0  # let's lie about our hdpi density!
    +#   const/16 p1, 0x140 # let's lie about our xhdpi density!
    +
         invoke-virtual {v0, v1, p1}, Lcom/google/common/io/protocol/ProtoBuf;->setInt(II)V

.line 303
         return-object p0
     .end method

.method public setScreenHeight(I)Lcom/android/vending/model/DeviceConfiguration;
         .registers 4

Code:
    --- rel/com/android/vending/model/DeviceConfiguration$ScreenLayoutSize.smali    2011-10-31 20:51:53.000000000 +0000
    +++ com/android/vending/model/DeviceConfiguration$ScreenLayoutSize.smali      2011-11-02 11:20:45.000000000 +0000

const/4 v5, 0x3

const/4 v4, 0x2

-    const/4 v3, 0x2
    +    const/4 v3, 0x2    # "SMALL" -> NORMAL

-    const/4 v2, 0x0
    +#   const/4 v2, 0x0    # "UNDEFINED" -> google-deems-you-untrustworthy
    +#   const/4 v2, 0x1    # "UNDEFINED" -> SMALL
    +#   const/4 v2, 0x2    # "UNDEFINED" -> NORMAL
    +    const/4 v2, 0x3    # "UNDEFINED" -> LARGE
    +#   const/4 v2, 0x4    # "UNDEFINED" -> EXTRA_LARGE

.line 170
         new-instance v0, Lcom/android/vending/model/DeviceConfiguration$ScreenLayoutSize;

const-string v1, "UNDEFINED"

While testing I noticed /cache filling with apks of the latest market. This might be due to the fact that I didn't do the wipe-wipe-reboot-wipe-reboot thing and just did zip -u /system/app/Vending.apk;sync;reboot, but just incase the mod itself has an issue, and silent updates to crappy market 3 are bad, I neutered it:

Code:
    diff -rU5 ../2/com/android/vending/InitializeMarketAction$MetadataAndDownloadsAction.smali com/android/vending/InitializeMarketAction$MetadataAndDownloadsAction.smali
    --- ../2/com/android/vending/InitializeMarketAction$MetadataAndDownloadsAction.smali    2011-10-31 20:51:52.000000000 +0000
    +++ com/android/vending/InitializeMarketAction$MetadataAndDownloadsAction.smali 2011-11-03 20:47:26.000000000 +0000
    @@ -370,21 +370,26 @@

if-ge v10, v3, :cond_5e

.line 288
         :cond_52
    -    invoke-virtual {v7}, Lcom/android/vending/model/GetMarketMetadataResponse;->getLatestClientUrl()Ljava/lang/String;

-    move-result-object v2
    +    const-string v10, "vendconf"
    +    const-string v2, "rejecting self update"
    +    invoke-static {v10, v2}, Landroid/util/Log;->d(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;)I
    +
    +#   invoke-virtual {v7}, Lcom/android/vending/model/GetMarketMetadataResponse;->getLatestClientUrl()Ljava/lang/String;
    +
    +#   move-result-object v2

.line 289
         .local v2, latestClientUrl:Ljava/lang/String;
    -    new-instance v10, Lcom/android/vending/InitializeMarketAction$MetadataAndDownloadsAction$2;
    +#   new-instance v10, Lcom/android/vending/InitializeMarketAction$MetadataAndDownloadsAction$2;

-    invoke-direct {v10, p0, v0, v2}, Lcom/android/vending/InitializeMarketAction$MetadataAndDownloadsAction$2;-><init>(Lcom/android/vending/InitializeMarketAction$MetadataAndDownloadsAction;Landroid/
    content/Context;Ljava/lang/String;)V
    +#   invoke-direct {v10, p0, v0, v2}, Lcom/android/vending/InitializeMarketAction$MetadataAndDownloadsAction$2;-><init>(Lcom/android/vending/InitializeMarketAction$MetadataAndDownloadsAction;Landroid/
    content/Context;Ljava/lang/String;)V

-    invoke-virtual {v10}, Lcom/android/vending/InitializeMarketAction$MetadataAndDownloadsAction$2;->start()V
    +#   invoke-virtual {v10}, Lcom/android/vending/InitializeMarketAction$MetadataAndDownloadsAction$2;->start()V

.line 298
         .end local v2           #latestClientUrl:Ljava/lang/String;
         :cond_5e
         invoke-virtual {v7}, Lcom/android/vending/model/GetMarketMetadataResponse;->hasBillingParameters()Z
    market-236-densityfix-mattedblues.zip

Here's an apk of the the original mod that will always think the device has a large/hdpi screenlayout, as well as a 240dpi screendensity, I've had my lcd density set to 195 for awhile, and it needed both changes to reveal the missing apps. In addition, it's ability to self-upgrade has been castrated.

http://qfs.mobi/f43375

Also, it's blue. Specifically it uses the classes.dex from this mod, and the mattedblues-themed vending.apk found here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1042737
    The themed apk isn't device specific, but if you like green just unzip classes.dex and throw it into the op's apk