• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[HACK]Use each music and each audio format with each size as Ringtone , Alert , Alarm

Search This thread

arses

Mar 24, 2010
Hey guys

I finally found : Use .m4a , .wma , .wav and .mp3 formats as Alarm, Alert, Ringtone ((without size and length limitations))
without changing the audio name for example: Alert-01.wma or .....

first copy/paste your favorite(s) music(s) to \windows folder.

ok go [HKCU/ControlPanel/Sounds/
OEMNotifications <------------<< for Alerts
OEMAlarms <------------------<< for Alarms
OEMRingtones] <--------------<< for ringtones and Alarms

in these 3 folders add "new value" and then :

Value Name: name.mp3 or name.wav or name.wma << name=name of your audio file that pasted in WINDOWS folder.

Value Data: enter a name for your audio that you want be shown.

Value Type: String

then click "ok" to set it and go to Setting>ringtones+sounds and see

I tested with .aac , .amr , .m4a , .ac3 , .aiff , .flac , .mka , .mp2 and .ogg formats but just .m4a worked as SMS Alert.
I try it to add a small .mp4 video as ringtone but did not work.
I think if we can add more formats for Ringtones Category it will be possible to have video as ringtone.

IMPORTANT: If you use a long music as sms alert you would not be able to stop playing it, so you must shutdown your phone.

do not forget THANKS

Last edited:

magdan83

Jan 17, 2011
Badacsonytomaj
Great!

A big-big thank you for this!

I don't know how did you find this out, but this is great!

I always had to rewrite the notification sounds in the registry after changing the ringtone, they somehow it got resetted to none after, but now this problem is gone.

I can change notification sounds and ringtones like it was factory implanted.

Thank a lot!
cheers and Happy New Year to you! :)

PS.: If you could find the reg key to stop converting down the resolution of pictures attached to an e-mail, you'll be a HERO.

Last edited:

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Obviously, the phone can't magically transcode every format. The advantage of this approach (over the official way to install ringtones) is that you can use any format that the phone supports, instead of just a subset of them.

So no, you probably can't use FLAC. I honestly don't know why you'd want to, given the speaker quality of the phone, but you can use any file that the phone could play through its media player, for example (includes AAC/M4A, for example, which I don't think is normally allowed for ringtones).

arses

Mar 24, 2010
Hey guys
Thanks.
I'm not expert. I just tried all formats to see is it possible or not to complete my theory.
I have an audio converter and I tried this method for all formats that was known as audio ,but with these 4 formats and even with the most popular format .mp3 we got it.
It was one of main favorites that all of us needed and now it is possible.

I am so happy.
I wish everyone enjoy.

Sorry for my bad english.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arqa and DJSave

Vintage144

Jan 1, 1970
Im gonna try adding some other stuff using this method ,just adding files to the windows folder and proting to the corresponding path in the registry ,should be interesting!

neptunex3

Sep 1, 2010
bangalore
i am new to registry editor i dont know how to copy paste songs to Windows folder

can someone explain from which folder i can find the songs...

i am noob here please help me.

thanks

arses

Mar 24, 2010
i am new to registry editor i dont know how to copy paste songs to Windows folder

can someone explain from which folder i can find the songs...

i am noob here please help me.

thanks

Hi
You can copy and paste your audio files using Windows Phone Device Manager or File Explorer installed on your device.
For these actions your device must be full unlocked.

arses

Mar 24, 2010
Important and Useful

Hi
l deleted this post because it was a stupid mistake.
I want say excuse me for this mistake.

All audio files must be in windows folder.

Sorry and sorry and sorry.

Last edited:

poloche

Jul 17, 2009
Hi
If you want add SMS Alerts to your device easily and without replacing them to WINDOWS folder :
Just sync them via zune as ringtone then go:

[HKCU/ControlPanel/Sounds/CustomRingtones]

they must be there. ( I suggest you for simplify your action and name your Alerts to: sms1, sms2,....)

In the path you must see your audio files with their name. OK
now remember their VALUE NAME (example : 8d.mp3) and go to

[HKCU/ControlPanel/Sounds/OEMNotifications]

In the new value you want to add, in VALUE NAME type exact value name shown in CustomRingtones and press ok. done

Note: every audio files that sync as RINGTONE via Zune are not required to move to Windows folder.

again sorry for my bad english .

Works with Alarm ?? .. or i must copy my mp3 file in Windows folder if i want change my alarm ?

Reactions: m4xim4l

arses

Mar 24, 2010
Hi
Yes it works but you know well that when you want to add audio files as ringtone via zune it must be smaller than 1MB.
Therefore if you want to use a fav music az alarm you can sync it as music and move it to Windows folder by FileExplorer.

If somebody could change the Zune limitations for ringtones via registry on PC all of our problem would be solved.

arses

Mar 24, 2010
Hi

If you have sms alerts please upload here.
I will make a pack and I'll put them in first post.

Thanks

Last edited:

znial

Aug 27, 2007
Bologna
dendenmushi
here is a link from box.net with two sms alert based on denden mushi by One Piece anime
i love this as sms tone, so please add one of these to the pack
thanks in advance

ps
i have edited the registry but still cannot view the new sms tones on the list (and on custom ringtones values i cannot see any m4a, only mp3)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys

I finally found : Use .m4a , .wma , .wav and .mp3 formats as Alarm, Alert, Ringtone ((without size and length limitations))
    without changing the audio name for example: Alert-01.wma or .....

first copy/paste your favorite(s) music(s) to \windows folder.

ok go [HKCU/ControlPanel/Sounds/
    OEMNotifications <------------<< for Alerts
    OEMAlarms <------------------<< for Alarms
    OEMRingtones] <--------------<< for ringtones and Alarms

in these 3 folders add "new value" and then :

Value Name: name.mp3 or name.wav or name.wma << name=name of your audio file that pasted in WINDOWS folder.

Value Data: enter a name for your audio that you want be shown.

Value Type: String

then click "ok" to set it and go to Setting>ringtones+sounds and see

I tested with .aac , .amr , .m4a , .ac3 , .aiff , .flac , .mka , .mp2 and .ogg formats but just .m4a worked as SMS Alert.
    I try it to add a small .mp4 video as ringtone but did not work.
    I think if we can add more formats for Ringtones Category it will be possible to have video as ringtone.

IMPORTANT: If you use a long music as sms alert you would not be able to stop playing it, so you must shutdown your phone.

do not forget THANKS
    It's not fair, 1,881 views and just 12 thanks for this thread.!!!!! :(
    Hey guys
    Thanks.
    I'm not expert. I just tried all formats to see is it possible or not to complete my theory.
    I have an audio converter and I tried this method for all formats that was known as audio ,but with these 4 formats and even with the most popular format .mp3 we got it.
    It was one of main favorites that all of us needed and now it is possible.

I am so happy.
    I wish everyone enjoy.

Sorry for my bad english.
    thanks. I do have WPDM installed for a while now. No access to the windows folder.

isn't there any file explorer for LG???
    also DiagPrvXML can do it.

Go here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1238519
    The LG driver for provxml seems to not have filesystem permissions (there are many different types of provxml, and the LG one has been found to support registry but not file-operation). You can still deploy files (though not to \Windows) using XAPs/ZIPs, but that's about it as far as I know.

Heathcliff74 says he's founda way to make WP7 Root Tools (which includes a filesystem browser/editor) work on LG, but it's taking a long time to implement.

soon Root Tool will release and you will have access.

I hope everyone can use this method.