• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Halium port for Nexus 6P

What Linux distributions do you want to run on Halium?

• Plasma Mobile

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • UBports (Ubuntu Touch)

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • LuneOS (webOS-based)

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Sailfish OS

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Arch Linux ARM (yes, this is actually an option)

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (please specify in the comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

win8linux

Oct 30, 2014
General Santos City
687474703a2f2f696d676c6f61642e6f72672f696d616765732f68616c69756d7465787463663339312e706e67

Halium port for Nexus 6P

From the Halium website:
Halium is the collaborative project to unify the Hardware Abstraction Layer for projects which run GNU/Linux on mobile devices with pre-installed Android.

It aims to standardize the lower level layers and middleware of mobile Linux for other projects to have a common base to start from such as Plasma Mobile, UBports, LuneOS, and Sailfish OS.
This port is intended to extend the support of Halium to a new device and to provide a base upon which ports of non-Android Linux distributions can be based upon.

This is an initial port, so stabilty (or it even working properly) is not guaranteed.

At the moment, there is no VT (virtual console) support due to requirements in order for Halium to be successfully built.
For more details, you can go to the device port page on the Halium Project Management issue page or on the pull request in the halium-devices Git repo.

You can download the files to manually flash Halium here.

The repositories for this can be found here (kernel), here (repository manifest), and here (vendor). The Android code is based from LineageOS 14.1 (7.1 Nougat).

P.S. Could someone please tell me where I should actually have this thread posted in? Due to the nature of the project, I'm not sure whether this even belongs in Android Development, Original Android Development, or neither. I just put this in General to be safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: aagoldberg24

win8linux

Oct 30, 2014
General Santos City
My involvement with the project, my role, and the question of thread categorization

I would say Original Dev, but if it's a "port" then I dunno...

Are you a dev on the original project?
What is your role in this?

1. No, I'm not a dev on the original project. I was with the project since before it went public, but not in a development capacity.
2. I'm just porting this to the Nexus 6P in my free time. Additionally, I am planning to test this myself sometime this April; that's when I can afford to have phone issues from unstable software without greater consequences.

The thing is, Halium isn't exactly Android-based. It uses a modified Linux kernel and various other lower level components (drivers, services, etc.) from Android. However, the Android framework, ART, and the other upper level parts that most people call "Android" proper aren't present. Whether this belongs in Original Dev or Development, the issue at hand with the categorization is the Android in Original Android Development and Android Development; this is (as mentioned before) due to the nature of the project itself. If this uses lower level components from Android but not the framework, UI, ART, and the rest that differentiates Android from other Linux distributions, then is it still counted as Android Development?

aagoldberg24

May 15, 2018
I noticed things were broken on this port, I would love to help continue development, when I tried compiling your kernel, it panicked. I could try to re-port the kernel. Anyway, any progress?

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

Also I found a patch for the screen reference

Sahil palav

May 28, 2018
I am using nexus 6p and it has bootloop issue .My freind told me to install a software which name was something like sellogin or cellogin so i am confuse what i do means install it or not?? So plz help me

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    687474703a2f2f696d676c6f61642e6f72672f696d616765732f68616c69756d7465787463663339312e706e67

Halium port for Nexus 6P

From the Halium website:
    Halium is the collaborative project to unify the Hardware Abstraction Layer for projects which run GNU/Linux on mobile devices with pre-installed Android.

It aims to standardize the lower level layers and middleware of mobile Linux for other projects to have a common base to start from such as Plasma Mobile, UBports, LuneOS, and Sailfish OS.
    This port is intended to extend the support of Halium to a new device and to provide a base upon which ports of non-Android Linux distributions can be based upon.

This is an initial port, so stabilty (or it even working properly) is not guaranteed.

At the moment, there is no VT (virtual console) support due to requirements in order for Halium to be successfully built.
    For more details, you can go to the device port page on the Halium Project Management issue page or on the pull request in the halium-devices Git repo.

You can download the files to manually flash Halium here.

The repositories for this can be found here (kernel), here (repository manifest), and here (vendor). The Android code is based from LineageOS 14.1 (7.1 Nougat).

P.S. Could someone please tell me where I should actually have this thread posted in? Due to the nature of the project, I'm not sure whether this even belongs in Android Development, Original Android Development, or neither. I just put this in General to be safe.