Halp...soft-bricked A40 after uninstalling apps ADB!

Search This thread

kerstin92

Jun 16, 2022
Hi all,

I may have just messed up my smartphone and really need your help. I wanted to get rid of some of the bloatware on my A40 and read online that one can actually uninstall many apps via the Windows command line. So I looked up a list of apps supposedly safe to remove and ran a batch file to uninstall them. This is as far as I got:

a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.sec.android.app.samsungapps
Success
a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.camera.sticker.facear.preload
Success
a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.sec.android.mimage.gear360editor
Success
a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.smartmirroring
Success
a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.htmlviewer
Success
a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.sec.android.provider.badge
Success
a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.sharedstoragebackup
Success
a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.simplesharing
Success
1|a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.themecenter
Success
a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 android.autoinstalls.config.samsung
Success
a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.sec.enterprise.mdm.services.simpin
Success
a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.stickercenter
Success
a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.sec.android.mimage.avatarstickers
Success
a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.knox.analytics.uploader
Success
a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.sec.enterprise.knox.cloudmdm.smdms
Success
a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.camera.sticker.stamp.preload
Success
1|a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.sec.factory.cameralyzer
Success
a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.sdk.handwriting
Success
a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.sec.android.app.fm
Success
a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.sec.enterprise.knox.attestation
Success
a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.mdm
Success
1|a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.sec.android.widgetapp.samsungapps
Success
1|a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.spage
Success
1|a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.drivelink.stub
Success
1|a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.wsomacp
Success
1|a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.game.gametools
Success
a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.game.gos
Success
1|a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.dsi.ant.sample.acquirechannels
Success
a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.dsi.ant.service.socket
Success
a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.dsi.ant.server
Success
1|a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.egg
Success
a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.sec.android.easyonehand
Success
1|a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.sec.android.app.launcher
Success
a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.mateagent
Success
1|a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.watchmanagerstub
Success
a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.sec.android.daemonapp
Success
a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.social
Success
1|a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.wellbeing
Success
a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.da.daagent
Success
1|a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.bips
Success
1|a40:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.authfw
Success

Right before that, I had moved apps related to "Knox" and "MDM" and everything seemed fine. But even while the last commands were running, the "desktop" disappeared (the home screen with all my app shortcuts) and some kind of "busy notification" was running instead (I think it said something like "starting up apps" or "launching apps"). But the phone didn't reboot, it just seems that the homescreen had crashed. I then noticed that I might have slipped in apps for deletion that I actually needed or was using, such as

com.sec.android.app.launcher
com.samsung.android.wellbeing

Since the phone seemed to be stuck in this "busy loop", I decided to restart it by long-pressing the power button and selecting restart. But from this point, the phone wouldn't restart and got stuck in a reboot loop, where only the Samsung logo pops up, followed by a short vibration pulse, then reboot etc.

At this point I panicked and started searching online for solutions (which also brought me to this forum). I've read about using OEM unlocking, firmware-flashing using Odin, Samsung Tool Pro, TWRP etc. but quickly got lost in the woods and didn't want to risk breaking things more.

There are log files I can access from the boot menu which might contain a lot of useful information regarding the cause of the problem, but it's way too much to type it:

/cache/recovery/last_log
/cache/recovery/last_kmsg
/cache/recovery/last_history
/cache/recovery/rescueparty.log
/cache/recovery/last_avc_msg_recovery
/cache/recovery/last_log.1
/cache/recovery/last_kmsg.1
[...]
/cache/recovery/last_log.9
/cache/recovery/last_kmsg.9

Is there a way I could somehow read these log files via a USB connection? For example, in rescueparty_log, there is some "serious-sounding" stuff:

[email protected]*** FATAL EXCEPTION IN SYSTEM PROCESS: main
java.lang.RuntimeException: There must be exactly one installer; found []
?at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.getRequiredInstallerLPr(PackageManagerService.java:4422)
?at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.<init>(PackageManagerService.java:3954)
?at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.main(PackageManagerService.java:2856)
?at com.android.server.SystemServer.startBootstrapServices(SystemServer.java:985)
?at com.android.server.SystemServer.run(SystemServer.java:762)
?at com.android.server.SystemServer.main(SystemServer.java:762)
?at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
?at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:494)
?at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:945)
Error reporting crash
java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke interface method 'void android.app.IActivityManager.handleApplicationCrash(android.os.IBinder, android.app.ApplicationErrorReport$ParcelableCrashInfo)' on a null object reference
?at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$KillApplicationHandler.uncaughtException(RuntimeInit.java:144)
?at java.lang.ThreadGroup.uncaughtException(ThreadGroup.java:1068)
?at java.lang.ThreadGroup.uncaughtException(ThreadGroup.java:1063)
?at java.lang.Thread.dispatchUncaughtException(Thread.java:1955)

Also, some information from the boot screen output:

Android Recovery
samsung/a40eea/a40
9/PPR1.180610.011/A405FNXXU3ATA4
user/release-keys

#Reboot Recovery Cause is [system_server:7340 RecoverySystemRescueParty]#
Support SINGLE-SKU

Block-Based OTA
Supported API: 3

MANUAL MODE v1.0.0#

Is anyone perhaps familiar with this problem and knows of a way how I could get the phone to start up properly, so I can at least recover all my personal data?

My impression is that I might have deleted some important system app, since the problem occurred right in the middle of the uninstall process (see shell history above), and I'm a little bit hopeful that maybe it's possible to just reinstall it somehow. I haven't tried the "Wipe data/factory reset" option in the boot menu as I don't want to lose all my data.

Thank you so much for your help, any advice is super-appreciated!!

kerstin92

Jun 16, 2022
Yes, because I realized the other subforum might be too specific (A40 only) and nobody will see the post...turned out to be unnecessary worry. However, there are a few more bits of information here in this topic missing from the other one, such as

Sorry, just now seeing this.

Install a version of Odin that is built/released around the same time that your device was released.

When you flash the firmware, if you have two different CSC files, use the Home_CSC and not the other. Home_CSC does not wipe data, the other CSC does.

Before you flash the device, boot into stock recovery mode and choose the option to wipe the cache partition but DO NOT choose the factory reset/format data option, you only want to wipe the cache. This is to remove any cached data that may be left over from the apps that you deleted, that data may cause a conflict during flashing that would result in an error or failed flash, wiping that cached data avoids those potential issues.

On a side note, you may want to try booting to recovert and wiping the cache then reboot and see if the device will function. There is a remote chance that it is bootlooping due to the aforementioned cached data left over from the removed apps causing a conflict when it tries to reboot, resulting in the bootloop. Any time you add or remove something to/from the system partition, such as apps or system files, you must reboot into recovery and wipe the cache partition then reboot the device so that it can rebuild the system cache with the new changes that you made, failing to do this causes things to be buggy, even cause system crashes due to the system trying to load/use cached data that it no longer has the apps to use it with. This must be done even when you add/remove something that is completely safe even if you do it completely correct, you still need to wipe the system cache and reboot so the system can rebuild cache without the leftover junk hanging around causing problems.

Not sure if it's desirable or possible to merge topics?

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
By the way: "Wiping the cache partition" refers to wiping the dalvik cache, right? I.e. deleting the ODEX files
Depends on whether you have stock recovery or custom recovery. Stock recovery has a "wipe cache partition" option(it might actually include dalvik/ART cache though) and custom recovery has the option to "wipe cache" and "wipe dalvik cache". Typically, when we tell someone to wipe cache, we mean, if you have stock recovery, choose the "wipe cache partition" option in stock recovery, if you have custom recovery(especially after making any kind of changes to any part of the system partition), wipe the cache and dalvik/ART cache.

kerstin92

Jun 16, 2022
Ah, so there are two different caches? I assume the "normal" cache then refers to a directory with some app data stored (I don't know, maybe session cookies, chat logs, media files etc?)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I sent you a message !!! Hope I can help :)
    Why not post your tips here so anyone can benefit from it?
    No problem !! I can post the process here too !!! I just wanted to message them privately to guide them step by step !! :)

1. Go to this page: https://samfw.com/
    2. Type your model number in the search bar
    3. Select your Android version
    4. Select your CSC code
    5. Scroll down until you see the latest build of your firmware
    6. Click on the code under "Version"
    7. Download the zip package
    8. Extract the zip
    9. Download the latest version of Odin from this google drive link
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1e9e-a_Qa5biQ-XH9zTYM1MR34BRZXhsF?usp=sharing
    10. Open the exe file inside the Odin folder
    11. Connect your phone to your PC
    12. Turn off your phone
    13. When the screen goes black press volume down and volume up at the same time
    14. When you see a blue screen with some letters in Chinese, press the volume up button once
    15. There's a section in the Odin program that says "log". Look for that section and look for a message that says "added" under that. If you see the message, your phone is being recognized by the device
    16. If you don't see the message go to the Odin folder, look for the sub-folder that says "Samsung Driver"
    17. Click on the file that says "Download"
    18. Select the latest version of the drivers and download them to your computer
    19. Double-click the downloaded exe file and go through the setup wizard
    20. After the drivers are installed, open the Odin application again and you should see the "added" message under the "log" section. Your device is now recognized
    21. Go to the right of the Odin application and click on the "BL" button
    22. This will open your file explorer. Go to the folder where you extracted your firmware and select the file that starts with "BL"
    23. Click the "AP" button on Odin and select the firmware file starting with "AP"
    24. Click the "CP" button and on Odin and select the firmware file starting with "CP"
    25. Lastly, click the "CSC" button on Odin and select the firmware file starting with "HOME_CSC"
    26. Go to the bottom of the Odin application and click on the "Start" button
    27. You should see a progress bar at the top indicating that the flashing has started
    28. Wait for a couple of minutes for the firmware to be done flashing (this might take a while)
    29. When it's done, you'll see a green "PASS" message where the progress bar was
    30. Reboot your phone normally
    If you get stuck in a boot loop you'll have to factory reset. Follow the following steps:
    31. Restart your phone into recovery mode by pressing volume up and power
    32. Select "Wipe data/factory reset
    33. Reboot your phone normally
    34. Wait a few minutes for it to boot (it might take a while too)

After that, your phone should work normally