[Resolved] HANNSpree HSG1279 root and recovery!!! [Updated 01/28/14]

Search This thread

Omegadrive

Sep 26, 2012
Vega Baja
omegadrivers.net
Updated OP with solution, many thanks to @fipsy for the final solution, here is his post for those that need help rooting this device: (UPDATE: Root for 4.2.2 at the end of the post)
Last week I investigated a lot of days to solve the problem: (I'm sorry for not being able to post working links in this forum because I didn't write enough here. :( So you have to reconstruct my links yourself into your browser)

As omegadrive supposed you just have to exchange the su binary, give the right permissions and the Superuser App from the Playstore will immediately work.

The necessary USB drivers for the device are found here: http://yadi.sk/d/54lX5c2O386XU

They only work with Windows 7!

After starting the "adb shell" you can gain root permissions on the device by typing "su". The su distributed with the device in /system/xbin is not compatible with common superuser apks. So it has to be exchanged with the version 3.1.1 binary: http://downloads.androidsu.com/superuser/su-bin-3.1.1-arm-signed.zip

Copy it to your /sdcard. Then continue with adb shell:

Code:
$ su
# cd /system/xbin

Mount the system partition read/write:

Code:
# mount -o remount,rw -t rfs /dev/block/st19 /system

Rename the original binary for later use (if something fails):

Code:
# mv su su-orig

Copy the binary to the xbin folder:

Code:
# busybox cp /sdcard/su ./su

Change the permissions:

Code:
# chmod 6755 su

Mount the system partition read-only and exit:

Code:
# mount -o remount,ro -t rfs /dev/block/st19 /system
# exit
$ exit

Now install the Superuser App from the Playstore - and have fun! Do *NOT* Update the su binary from within the Superuser App or it will be overwritten with a non-working version!

Cheers, Volker

CUSTOM RECOVERY FINALLY POSSIBLE!!! Again, many thanks to @fipsy, here is his post:
I finally made it! :laugh: Here is a working CWM Recovery for the HANNspree HANNSpad SN1AT71 (HSG1279).

I didn't fully test it but the backup function works. Also mounting and unmounting partitions works as well as the adb shell which is very important if the device is bricked and doesn't boot anymore.
Before connecting to the device via adb shell it is necessary to mount the /system partition (menu "mounts and storage") because otherwise /system/bin/sh cannot be found by adb shell.

The CWM recovery by default stores it's backups on the external SD-Card. The benefit is that the backup can easily be plugged out and stored apart from the device. But the recovery is also able to restore backups from the internal sdcard. Those backups can be made online on a running android system by using apps like "Online Nandroid Backup" and "Nandroid Manager". The benefit is that it's not necessary to reboot the device before backing up and you can keep on working.

There is one problem when creating backups in CWM Recovery: The date/time of the backup is always set to 1st of January 1970 due to a missing backup battery in this device. Look here: http://tau.shadowchild.nl/attn1/?p=341. So if you want to make backups with accurate timestamps you would have to set the actual time of the device using adb shell: Start adb shell and enter:

Code:
/system/xbin/busybox date -s "YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ss"

before making the backup.

To cut a long story short: Download the CWM-Recovery here: http://yadi.sk/d/ArprqzfFFWvy4 and flash it to your (rooted) device. How to do this:

• Copy the file cwm-recovery.ima to your internal sdcard.
  • Either connect via adb shell and enter su
  • or run a Terminal Emulator and enter su
  • then enter
    Code:
    cat /sdcard/cwm-recovery.ima > /dev/block/acta
and you're done! Have fun! Comments are appreciated!
Perhaps someone likes to create an update.zip from it?

Edit (01/28/2014): There is a new version 6.0.3.3. Look here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=49835135&postcount=283
Edit (05/04/2014): There is a new version 6.0.3.3.a. Look here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=52416205&postcount=492

ROOT for new OTA 4.2.2 update:
Good news for germany: The rollout began tonight! I just got the update to Android 4.2.2! :laugh:

Some people asked for the upgrade file to manually update from the recovery. Here it is: http://yadi.sk/d/igsBGsAjFpLsL
Edit (01/13/2014): Seems this update only works on devices with special G-Sensor hardware (KIONIX 3-axis Accelerometer).

@ig6677: There you will also find the META-INF you wanted.

For your information: After my update to Android 4.2.2 root has gone on my device! I expected this. All Apps that need root don't work anymore. I don't know what you did that root was still there after the update...

Furthermore in /system/xbin there is no su file anymore. Also my CWM Recovery has gone and was replaced by the Stock HANNspree recovery!

But whats new: If you connect to the device via adb shell you immediately have superuser rights! No su is needed for this anymore. So it's possible to restore the CWM Recovery using cat.

If you adb push the 3.1.1 su binary from your pc to the /sdcard on your device and after this execute my commands in the first posting of this thread the apps have su rights with superuser.apk again. But you will not be able to add new programs to the superuser app (if a new app requests superuser rights there is no popup). So this is no solution.

The Superuser App is not able to grant superuser rights on android systems > 4.1.1, but the App SuperSu is! So download the SuperSU ZIP from here: http://download.chainfire.eu/351/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65.zip

Then copy it to your sdcard and install it using the Recovery. Voila! Everything works again!

Another issue: The Huawei E1750 Surfstick is not detected anymore. On 4.1.1 it was no problem to surf using this stick. But I think this is one of the "great features" of the new android versions...

New recovery version!
:victory: Here it is: The new version 6.0.3.3 of CWM Recovery for the HANNspree HANNSpad SN1AT71 (HSG1279)

Beside some minor bugfixes the main benefit of this release is that there are no more errors when trying to restore the .android_secure folder. So the "dirty" workaround to restore this folder is not necessary anymore.

The .android_secure folder is also automatically restored together with the data partition when selecting "data" from the "advanced restore" options.

http://yadi.sk/d/OmsYk6TIGsBsB

Information on how to install you will find here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=49166546&postcount=133

Cheers, Volker

My original question:
Just bought this tablet on Cybermonday for a really good price, but can't find a way to root it for the life of me...
Main problem has been I can't see it using ADB (v1.0.31), always list no devices even with the latest generic Google ADB driver, which shows fine on device manager.
Tablet comes with Android 4.1.1 and no extras, is just a plain version of android with Play market and ES File Explorer pre installed and have access to android stock recovery.

Any ideas?

Also, just in case I start messing with the tablet, Any way I can backup the stock system just in case?

Thanks.

Update:
More info on the tablet...
Model name: SN1AT71
Hardware (According to CPU-Z): gs702a
Board: full_gs702a

Last edited:

dr_bowtie

Nov 24, 2014
TWRP portable and permentized Auto Rotated. CWM did not. I have not tested it since flashing the stock recovery or rom.

This version rom works very well. zero battery loss when sleeping long period of time. Tablet has been ON over 24 hours but sleeping and has had zero battery loss. Prior roms it would have been dead after 8-10 hours.

Reactions: CXZa

CXZa

Apr 9, 2013
cxzstuff.blogspot.com
I am not sure how easy it would be but if a port to CM 10.1 from this rom could be made it should be pretty good. I thought about trying it as there are many ways it can be done according to Google and youtube.
I tried once converting a newer boot into CM boot but it didn't start. Should try doing it
manually if there is some more differences other than the kernel and the modules.
After some manual work I did today I found out that it's galcore.ko module that causes the issue. At least in my tablet.
One can change pretty much all misc/boot files (including ramdisk) except that one. It can be some minor value somewhere or maybe one have to change some system files to make it work. I don't know - yet....

So newer kernel etc, can be used with those older Troy ROMs, but does it help anything. IDK.
My Ainol Crystal 2 has worked quite well so far. Only browsing starts to get slower and
then much slower over the time. Restoring a backup fixes it. (as well as some other tricks).
So, other that browsing my 7029 tab has served me relatively well....

What is the best update today for a tablet having Actions' 7029 SOC?
- A new tablet.

Last edited:

dr_bowtie

Nov 24, 2014
Agreed.

As previously stated I only bought the tablet, like others have, because it was cheap and supposed to be decent. Something cheap for the job I was doing at the time. I didnt want to use my good tablet and risk getting it broke or worse, stolen.

Beings I havent worked at that job in over 2 years I've not needed the tablet and just tossed it in the cabinet. I would get it out time to time and just check the charge or charge it every couple months. I only get it out when I'm slow and just need something to tinker with.

I had always hoped there would be a custom rom that would "magically" fix the tablet much like it has other tablets. The only way I can see to fix the sluggishness after a few uses is to do what Lenovo did for the A2107 and clear the Cache on every boot but then you get the irritating Optimizing Android on every boot but that pretty much fixed the issue on that sluggish turd.

After not touching the tablet for a long period I was surprised to finally find custom roms for this tablet and hoped that would help but for me they did not. They wouldn't have been bad but for the battery drain issues. I was optimistic that they would fix some performance issues but I am surprised how well this stock rom works from a very clean flash.

So far the tablet has been on since Sunday and it is now friday and other than me playing some games from the SNES9x app it still has 80% battery. It looses no battery while sleeping. Before it would have been long dead after 8-12 hours. This thing really goes into a deep sleep on the stock rom and has stellar battery life right out of the gate.

steve30x

Aug 16, 2011
I'm curious but is there an app I could use to reside the navigation bar and keyboard. The navigation bar and keyboard are absolutely huge on this new tablet. The navigation bar at the bottom is especially way too big.

wyelkins

Jul 22, 2013
Clyo, GA
Google Pixel 3
Google Pixel 4a
Just a side note. I have had this tablet for 2 years and never liked it except for the big screen. I recently moved and got a roommate and fast Xfinity Wi-Fi.

Gave the Hannspree to my roommate and she loves it. She uses Facebook and plays games. Lol. Not computer savvy but it works great for her.

steve30x

Aug 16, 2011
I'm the same. The T71 is terrible. I hated the thing and the so called IPS screen had horrible colour reproduction. I gave the tablet to my sister and she loves it too. This Hannspree Titan 13.3" tablet is a whole lot better though. I compared it to my Samsung Galaxy tab 4 last night and this tablet is slightly faster. If you are looking for a good big screen tablet I highly recommend the Hannspad Titan T72 2015 model once you don't mind being stuck with android 4.4.4.

steve30x

Aug 16, 2011
you cant even get that tablet currently. At least not in the USA.
Holy crap when I was buying this there was no problem in finding it. Almost every place had loads of stock> I was cautious when I bought the Titan because of my bad experience with the T71 but it turned out to be a gem for the price. They say nobody likes tablets anymore well maybe people want bigger tablets by the looks of it because the 13.3" titan can't be found anywhere. Its well worth the money.

CXZa

Apr 9, 2013
cxzstuff.blogspot.com
Agreed.
I had always hoped there would be a custom rom that would "magically" fix the tablet much like it has other tablets.

Is there such roms out there really? Maybe - after several versions...
The thing with these custom roms was that people didn't make enough
donations to Mr. Troy and therefore he dropped the development in very
early stage.
Last time I tested his CM 10.2 to see if TRIM was supported. It was last summer.
I probably used some newer firmware as the base and maybe that's why there was
some issues like battery draining. Anyway I didn't continue using it. And the TRIM
didn't work either. Now using the last kernel and modules etc. there diffidently
is a battery issues so I'm back using the 4.11 stock. I remember using Troy's PA 4.3
one summer when it was a newer thing and I liked it, but I changed it to 4.11
because I needed ad-hoc working at that time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_ad_hoc_network

dr_bowtie

Nov 24, 2014
Oh speaking of stock.... I checked for OTA updates on the T71 and it says cannot connect to server or something like that so it cant check for updates. But this one from the official site works very well for stock. as long as you dont use WiFi the battery last an amazingly long time... 7 days now still at 80% sleeping. I've checked it every couple of days.

dr_bowtie

Nov 24, 2014
14 days later and it was still at 80% so I decided to play a few games on it with SNES9X and add a bluetooth gamepad.... seems the only thing that kills this tablet faster than WiFi is Bluetooth..... bout 30 minutes and the tablet just shut off. It was dead.

steve30x

Aug 16, 2011
I have PurePerformance flashed to my Titan and it turns off WIFI when the tablet sleeps. When I got the tablet new I was getting four hours of video playback and just barely eighteen hours idle battery life from the tablet. Now I can play 1080P movies for eight hours and I get three days from the tablet if I use the tablet occasionally. When I use bluetooth though the WIFI gets FLAKY with the tablet.

dr_bowtie

Nov 24, 2014
I was very surprised to get 14 days idle/sleep time out of this rom on the tablet and still have above 50% battery. honestly I dont find the tablet to be much use if it cant live on WiFi or bluetooth very long. Tablets arent much good if you cant surf the web without killing the battery quickly.

steve30x

Aug 16, 2011
Turning on WIFI is the biggest problem with tablets second to that is facebook. The WIFI drains the battery a lot in all tablets I own. I just wish they could fix this problem.

steve30x

Aug 16, 2011
my 1st gen Samsung Note 10.1 doesnt have that issue.
My 4 gen 10.1" and 7" galaxy tab , Acer A500 ,Hannspree TITAN 13.3" 2015 tablet and Sony E1 phone has the problem. My phone lasts up to a week with WiFi turned off. My Acer A500 four year old tablet lasts two days with WiFi turned off. The galaxy Tab 4 tablets lasts four to five days with WIFI turned off and this Titan tablet lasts just over three days with WIFI turned off. So its not just this Hannspree HSG1279 that has the problem. Most mobile devices has the same problem.

CXZa

Apr 9, 2013
cxzstuff.blogspot.com
CXZ let me ask this?

Would it be possible to make a portable stock recovery to boot to in twrp to install the stock firmware? that way once it is installed I could make a twrp back up of the stock firmware?
Sure., although easier solution would be that portable recoveries would just use the same properties as the stock.
But I wanted to keep any changes minimum, so the properties are like the original developers wanted.
That is, if the recoveries are permanentized. If not then stock properties are still used.

Other way is just restore the stock recovery, one way or another...
Maybe easiest is just flash my "Custom Recovery Remover" available in this thread.
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/102857-compatibility-zip-maker-and-cwm-recovery-maker/

Here is a xmas "hack" if you want that the TWRP uses the same properties as the stock.
Before "permanentizing" just delete the file "/res/twrpdefault.prop".
Then it should work when flashing stock packages if the reason is
the checks in the edify script (sometimes it's e.g. the update bin used).

dr_bowtie

Nov 24, 2014
My 4 gen 10.1" and 7" galaxy tab , Acer A500 ,Hannspree TITAN 13.3" 2015 tablet and Sony E1 phone has the problem. My phone lasts up to a week with WiFi turned off. My Acer A500 four year old tablet lasts two days with WiFi turned off. The galaxy Tab 4 tablets lasts four to five days with WIFI turned off and this Titan tablet lasts just over three days with WIFI turned off. So its not just this Hannspree HSG1279 that has the problem. Most mobile devices has the same problem.

every phone I had has the issue as well...

I can get up to 4 days on my one-plus from a full charge with wifi on but sometimes in airplane mode it seems like it uses more battery. My S3 only last a day with wifi on. That has drain fast.

CXZa

Apr 9, 2013
cxzstuff.blogspot.com
It's not an issue, it's a feature... The way draining now happened in CM was that
it stayed like 80% very well even if screen was just closed, but it went down
quite fast if I used it after that. I assume it just took time to show the real percentage
(although I didn't made any comparison to see if there was any difference between
using after-screen-closed (over night) and right after recharging).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CWM-Recovery for the HANNspree HANNSpad SN1AT71 (HSG1279)

I finally made it! :laugh: Here is a working CWM Recovery for the HANNspree HANNSpad SN1AT71 (HSG1279).

I didn't fully test it but the backup function works. Also mounting and unmounting partitions works as well as the adb shell which is very important if the device is bricked and doesn't boot anymore.
    Before connecting to the device via adb shell it is necessary to mount the /system partition (menu "mounts and storage") because otherwise /system/bin/sh cannot be found by adb shell.

The CWM recovery by default stores it's backups on the external SD-Card. The benefit is that the backup can easily be plugged out and stored apart from the device. But the recovery is also able to restore backups from the internal sdcard. Those backups can be made online on a running android system by using apps like "Online Nandroid Backup" and "Nandroid Manager". The benefit is that it's not necessary to reboot the device before backing up and you can keep on working.

There is one problem when creating backups in CWM Recovery: The date/time of the backup is always set to 1st of January 1970 due to a missing backup battery in this device. Look here: http://tau.shadowchild.nl/attn1/?p=341. So if you want to make backups with accurate timestamps you would have to set the actual time of the device using adb shell: Start adb shell and enter:

Code:

To cut a long story short: Download the CWM-Recovery here: http://yadi.sk/d/ArprqzfFFWvy4 and flash it to your (rooted) device. How to do this:

• then enter
      Code:

Edit (01/28/2014): There is a new version 6.0.3.3. Look here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=49835135&postcount=283
    Edit (05/04/2014): There is a new version 6.0.3.3.a. Look here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=52416205&postcount=492
    New CWM Recovery v6.0.3.3

:victory: Here it is: The new version 6.0.3.3 of CWM Recovery for the HANNspree HANNSpad SN1AT71 (HSG1279)

Beside some minor bugfixes the main benefit of this release is that there are no more errors when trying to restore the .android_secure folder. So the "dirty" workaround to restore this folder is not necessary anymore.

The .android_secure folder is also automatically restored together with the data partition when selecting "data" from the "advanced restore" options.

Information on how to install you will find here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=49166546&postcount=133

Cheers, Volker

BTW: Thank you wyelkins and Sparkrite for the comments! Following your suggestions I still omitted the sd-ext option which could have been used for the sdcard-backup.
    Updated OP with solution, many thanks to @fipsy for the final solution, here is his post for those that need help rooting this device: (UPDATE: Root for 4.2.2 at the end of the post)
    Last week I investigated a lot of days to solve the problem: (I'm sorry for not being able to post working links in this forum because I didn't write enough here. :( So you have to reconstruct my links yourself into your browser)

As omegadrive supposed you just have to exchange the su binary, give the right permissions and the Superuser App from the Playstore will immediately work.

The necessary USB drivers for the device are found here: http://yadi.sk/d/54lX5c2O386XU

They only work with Windows 7!

After starting the "adb shell" you can gain root permissions on the device by typing "su". The su distributed with the device in /system/xbin is not compatible with common superuser apks. So it has to be exchanged with the version 3.1.1 binary: http://downloads.androidsu.com/superuser/su-bin-3.1.1-arm-signed.zip

Copy it to your /sdcard. Then continue with adb shell:

Code:
    $ su
    # cd /system/xbin

Mount the system partition read/write:

Code:
    # mount -o remount,rw -t rfs /dev/block/st19 /system

Rename the original binary for later use (if something fails):

Code:
    # mv su su-orig

Copy the binary to the xbin folder:

Code:
    # busybox cp /sdcard/su ./su

Change the permissions:

Code:
    # chmod 6755 su

Mount the system partition read-only and exit:

Code:
    # mount -o remount,ro -t rfs /dev/block/st19 /system
    # exit
    $ exit

Now install the Superuser App from the Playstore - and have fun! Do *NOT* Update the su binary from within the Superuser App or it will be overwritten with a non-working version!

Cheers, Volker

CUSTOM RECOVERY FINALLY POSSIBLE!!! Again, many thanks to @fipsy, here is his post:

Code:

• then enter
      Code:

ROOT for new OTA 4.2.2 update:
    Good news for germany: The rollout began tonight! I just got the update to Android 4.2.2! :laugh:

Some people asked for the upgrade file to manually update from the recovery. Here it is: http://yadi.sk/d/igsBGsAjFpLsL
    Edit (01/13/2014): Seems this update only works on devices with special G-Sensor hardware (KIONIX 3-axis Accelerometer).

@ig6677: There you will also find the META-INF you wanted.

For your information: After my update to Android 4.2.2 root has gone on my device! I expected this. All Apps that need root don't work anymore. I don't know what you did that root was still there after the update...

Furthermore in /system/xbin there is no su file anymore. Also my CWM Recovery has gone and was replaced by the Stock HANNspree recovery!

But whats new: If you connect to the device via adb shell you immediately have superuser rights! No su is needed for this anymore. So it's possible to restore the CWM Recovery using cat.

If you adb push the 3.1.1 su binary from your pc to the /sdcard on your device and after this execute my commands in the first posting of this thread the apps have su rights with superuser.apk again. But you will not be able to add new programs to the superuser app (if a new app requests superuser rights there is no popup). So this is no solution.

The Superuser App is not able to grant superuser rights on android systems > 4.1.1, but the App SuperSu is! So download the SuperSU ZIP from here: http://download.chainfire.eu/351/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65.zip

Then copy it to your sdcard and install it using the Recovery. Voila! Everything works again!

Another issue: The Huawei E1750 Surfstick is not detected anymore. On 4.1.1 it was no problem to surf using this stick. But I think this is one of the "great features" of the new android versions...

New recovery version!

Cheers, Volker

My original question:
    Just bought this tablet on Cybermonday for a really good price, but can't find a way to root it for the life of me...
    Main problem has been I can't see it using ADB (v1.0.31), always list no devices even with the latest generic Google ADB driver, which shows fine on device manager.
    Tablet comes with Android 4.1.1 and no extras, is just a plain version of android with Play market and ES File Explorer pre installed and have access to android stock recovery.

Any ideas?

Also, just in case I start messing with the tablet, Any way I can backup the stock system just in case?

Thanks.

Update:
    More info on the tablet...
    Model name: SN1AT71
    Hardware (According to CPU-Z): gs702a
    Board: full_gs702a
    I have had the best luck with AOKP for a daily driver on this tablet. CM10 seemed to lag more than the stock ROM, and had some stability issues as well IIRC. Recommend you start reading on page 86 of this thread and read it through, don't just skim it.

What ever you do to this tablet, it will always be a work mule, never a thoroughbred.
    Thanks for your reply, kevinthefixer. I have read this thread more throughly. Because things can be confusing and it's hard to gather all relevant information, I have created a small step-by-step guide how to replace stock ROM with Cyanogenmod 10.1. Here it is:

1. Download BNMGUYs_CWM_based_recovery_v6.0.3.3_for_ATM7029_portable_[cxz].zip (see http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/107...e-versions-of-custom-recoveries-cwm-and-twrp/) and copy the zip file to a microSD card.
    2. Create a folder called clockworkmod on the microSD card with a backup folder inside that folder.
    3. Download CM10.1_Hannspad_T71.zip (see http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=58325450&postcount=854) and extract the folder CM10.1_Hannspad_T71 to clockwordmod/backup/ on the microSD card.
    4. Insert the microSD card in your tablet (tablet turned off).
    5. Press Vol- + Power button to boot the recovery system.
    6. Select "apply update from sdcard", then sd-ext and then BNMGUYs_CWM_based_recovery_v6.0.3.3_for_ATM7029_portable_[cxz].zip. This will boot CWM once without replacing the recovery partition.
    7. In CWM select "wipe data/factory reset" and confirm with Yes.
    8. After wiping the tablet select "backup and restore", then "restore" and "CM10.1_Hannspad_T71" and confirm with Yes.
    9. Done. Reboot.

CM 10.1 runs pretty smooth on my tablet, definitely better than stock ROM. Maybe I will try AOKP later, but I am already fairly satisfied.

Thank you very much Christian Troy, steve30x, CXZa and everybody else who contributed to the creation of custom ROMs for this tablet!
    Hey great news guys. Got a CM 10.2 ROM working like a charm on this thing fast too puts the buggy 4.2.2 stock ROM to shame.
    Does have a few issues but its a great start.
    Follow the steps on this thread except step 1 if you already have fipsy's excellent CWM 6.0.3.3

All credit goes to the people who made this possible with their hard work like Christian Troy

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/102857-compatibility-zip-maker-and-cwm-recovery-maker/#entry1173257