• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Happy with your battery life?

Search This thread

henfri123

Feb 14, 2013
Hello,

I was wondering how happy you guys are with your S21 battery life?
I used a Huawei P30 Pro before. When going to bed, I usually had 30% battery left.
With my S21, I now usually charge at 7PM. I cannot imagine, that my usage habbits have changed much since - especially since I was unhappy with the battery life from day one.

I did some Analysis:
Idle:
With battery-saver (Samsungs; in Settings) on: 0.73%/h - Not bad, I would say.
With battery-saver (Samsungs; in Settings) off: 1.93%/h -Not good, I would say.

Now, do I want battery-saver on? Not sure... Why did I buy a first-class device when limiting its CPU and refresh rate?

Screen-On:
I know that here, comparing is difficult...

According to battery historian the Screen-On discharge-Rate is 16%/h. That would give me a screen-on time of 6.25h - I am hot sure if this is good.

How is it for you?

What I also notice in battery-historian is, that when switching off battery saver (green bar below) I have significantly more Userspace Wakelocks. Yes, I was also using the phone, but if you observe the yellow marked time around 12-1PM, there are wakelocks without me using the Phone.

1632682609431.png

1632683141341.png

Some more Info:
1632683214845.png

1632683309579.png

Wakelocks:
1632683635183.png

1632683672053.png

In minutes, it is not so much, but in counts... 2500 seems a lot.

Is this normal? Or is there something, I could improve/fix?

Best regards,
Hendrik

Last edited:

goattee

Apr 25, 2006
San Diego
I'm not having anything like your experience. I am a US user with Snapdragon in case that matters. You don't mention how much typical daily screen on time you have.

I am sure there are more expert people here to interpret all of your captured data. But I am wondering about fundamentals. Have you already configured:

• Battery optimization for all apps that don't require background operation?
  • "Always on" display?
  • Display timeout to something minimal? (I set mine to 2 minutes; I can't tolerate anything shorter)

henfri123

Feb 14, 2013
Hello,

that is interesting to hear.
Screen on time is usually around 4h. Then the battery is completely empty.
The 2%/h in "idle" mean already on a day between 7am and 10PM 30%. So, the idle usage is about 1/3 of my drain and thus clearly worth improving. But especially the Screen On drain of about 20%/h is too high, I think. This morning I used the phone for below 2 minutes and the battery was already at 98%.

Regarding Apps in Standby: The phone has put many apps automatically in the list of "APPs in deep standby". I have manually added some.
I have only few Apps never in Standby:
Kalender, Kalendar widget, Telegram, Threema, Whatsapp.
Always on display is off
Display brightness is set to around 50%. Refresch rate is "Adaptive" and Timeout is 2 minutes.
So, I think this is all reasonable.

Any ideas?

Best regards,
Hendrik

Hello,

that is interesting to hear.
Screen on time is usually around 4h. Then the battery is completely empty.
The 2%/h in "idle" mean already on a day between 7am and 10PM 30%. So, the idle usage is about 1/3 of my drain and thus clearly worth improving. But especially the Screen On drain of about 20%/h is too high, I think. This morning I used the phone for below 2 minutes and the battery was already at 98%.

Regarding Apps in Standby: The phone has put many apps automatically in the list of "APPs in deep standby". I have manually added some.
I have only few Apps never in Standby:
Kalender, Kalendar widget, Telegram, Threema, Whatsapp.
Always on display is off
Display brightness is set to around 50%. Refresch rate is "Adaptive" and Timeout is 2 minutes.
So, I think this is all reasonable.

Any ideas?

Best regards,
Hendrik
Hi, AUHD(best on for battery life) or older SW? I have with first beta 5-7h sot, while night when I don't use phone I have 0,2%/h drain, with screen on max 7-9%

Software version, if you have latest version there will be something wrong with your phone, try to find apps causing that high consumption. And never put any app to deep sleep or sleep mode, and don't use battery saver. This has for me other effect than lower consumption. These three things I have disabled - wificall,volte and 5g, nothing more.

And on WiFi turned off mobile data, GPS and bt.

naudmick

Jan 26, 2012
Reims
forum.frandroid.com
Software version, if you have latest version there will be something wrong with your phone, try to find apps causing that high consumption. And never put any app to deep sleep or sleep mode, and don't use battery saver. This has for me other effect than lower consumption. These three things I have disabled - wificall,volte and 5g, nothing more.

And on WiFi turned off mobile data, GPS and bt.
In fact you have transformed your S21, you have made a Nokia 3310 now ...... 😂
Do not stop the adaptive battery, it is the best innovation from Google that Samsung has included. The I really do not understand your idea of using a smartphone with all these options to cut .........

Last edited:
In fact you have transformed your S21, you have made a Nokia 3310 now ...... 😂
Do not stop the adaptive battery, it is the best innovation from Google that Samsung has included. The I really do not understand your idea of using a smartphone with all these options to cut .........
There is no other way how to safe battery when you own Samsung device. It's very bad adjusted this one ui.... I've got lot of devices, s21(all versions) is worst of all of them

naudmick

Jan 26, 2012
Reims
forum.frandroid.com
There is no other way how to safe battery when you own Samsung device. It's very bad adjusted this one ui.... I've got lot of devices, s21(all versions) is worst of all of them
I have the S21 from the start I have always held 1 day and 18 hours on average with 2 hours of stupidity, and I do not deactivate absolutely anything, gps, WiFi, 5g, Bluetooth, I leave everything on, and it works perfectly ... .... For the adaptive battery to work properly, it needs 7 to 10 days minimum ..... It does not do in a day .... And personally I have had all the galaxies since the 1st galaxy , I got them all. And many fail to configure it correctly. And above all, gave him time to configure himself on energy management.

I have the S21 from the start I have always held 1 day and 18 hours on average with 2 hours of stupidity, and I do not deactivate absolutely anything, gps, WiFi, 5g, Bluetooth, I leave everything on, and it works perfectly ... .... For the adaptive battery to work properly, it needs 7 to 10 days minimum ..... It does not do in a day .... And personally I have had all the galaxies since the 1st galaxy , I got them all. And many fail to configure it correctly. And above all, gave him time to configure himself on energy management.
And in the 1 day and 18h you have 5-6 hours sot?

No, 2 hours of sot on Android 12 beta 1
Whit yours sot I have to charge phone every 8h, 3 times a day, this is not what a customer needs... I see you are fan of Samsung(I was also- S6,7,8,10 and now 21) but comparing to other brands you have sot from 5-11h with no restriction.

For last I will mention android auto, first time in 3 years I see the first device what can manage android auto, so many lags and no interest from Samsung to fix it...

henfri123

Feb 14, 2013
Hello,

I have factory reset the device now. I got 6h SOT now (twice of what I achieved before.

No Idea what the reason could be, though.
The only thing that I am not yet using again is Nova Launcher.

Greetings,
Hendrik

batroc

Sep 4, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S21
I don't understand questions like this. S21 is basic model and obviously has shortest battery life. If you want a big SoT, open
customize usage pattern and choose your phone for example S21+. If you have already bought S21, turn on 60 Hz screen, lower the brightness, reduce the processor frequency, turn off unnecessary communications and functions. I'm very happy with battery life for my tasks ))

saintshakajin

I don't understand questions like this. S21 is basic model and obviously has shortest battery life. If you want a big SoT, open
customize usage pattern and choose your phone for example S21+. If you have already bought S21, turn on 60 Hz screen, lower the brightness, reduce the processor frequency, turn off unnecessary communications and functions. I'm very happy with battery life for my tasks ))
S21 has a battery of 4000 mAh and a screen of 6.2 inch
S21+ has a battery of 4800 mAh with a screen of 6.7 inch
S21 Ultra has a battery of 5000 mAh with a screen of 6.8 inch.

Ok, S21 has the smallest battery but also the smallest screen.
I let everything in automatic mode like you can see on the attached screenshot.
I don't see the problem if we ask to someone if he let everything in auto or if he plays with Bixby Routine to optimize his smartphone.
I am also happy with this smartphone and its size but when I'm leaving to a place with power, I know that I need to take my power bank even in Batter Saver mode

I also thank you for your link. I can see, according to test result, there is a difference of 7h between S21 and P30 Pro. I don't have this impression

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20211017-083733_Settings.jpg
    SmartSelect_20211017-083733_Settings.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

batroc

Sep 4, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S21
S21 has a battery of 4000 mAh and a screen of 6.2 inch
S21+ has a battery of 4800 mAh with a screen of 6.7 inch
S21 Ultra has a battery of 5000 mAh with a screen of 6.8 inch.
4000/6,2 = 645 mAh per inch
4800/6.7 = 716 mAh per inch

I don't know why in a place without power, for example, an option is needed "Turn on Wi-Fi automaticaly", Wi-Fi is looking for a router all the time.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I will also mention the good things because of them I still have s21, display visibility in outdoor, speaker sound, cameras.