Hard brick without fastboot enabled

Search This thread

T_Hladiuk

Dec 3, 2022
Hello guys.
I need your help. My phone bricked itself. I left it on charge for the night and faced a black screen issue next day. Bootloader is not unlocked, so I can't enter the fastboot mode. When I press and hold all three buttons I see Mi logo for some time and nothing after. When I connect it to PC via usb it connects after some time but almost instantly disconnects. During that short period of connected state I see usb serial device(COM7) in device manager which disappears then. Then 20-40 sec pause and the same connection and disconnection. Of cource, miflash doesn't see it at all when I try to flash it. I have no experience with disassembling so I cannot flash the phone using motherboard directly or try to enter fastboot by pulling out and in battery. Any thoughts what it can be and how to fix it? Appreciate any helpful info related. I saw a bunch of articles and cases but everything got stuck because of that frequent usb toggling. Not much you can do when you can't even connect

Last edited:

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Hello guys.
I need your help. My phone bricked itself. I left it on charge for the night and faced a black screen issue next day. Fastboot is not enabled. When I press and hold all three buttons I see Mi logo for some time and nothing after. When I connect it to PC via usb it connects after some time but almost instantly disconnects. During that short period of connected state I see usb serial device(COM7) in device manager which disappears then. Then 20-40 sec pause and the same connection and disconnection. Of cource, miflash doesn't see it at all when I try to flash it. Fastboot isn't enabled for sure because I cannot enter that mode. I have no experience with disassembling so I cannot flash the phone using motherboard directly or try to enter fastboot by pulling out and in battery. Any thoughts what it can be and how to fix it? Appreciate any helpful info related. I saw a bunch of articles and cases but everything got stuck because of that frequent usb toggling. Not much you can do when you can't even connect
Excuse me, but, there are a lot of errors and misunderstanding in your post, so you should need to sort them out, to can advance on this.

Fastboot doesn't need to be enabled, fastboot is always there, you just need to press the right buttons to send it to this mode.

USB debugging enables the ADB connection, most probably, you don't need it to fix your device.

Although this said, keep in mind that your device must have the bootloader unlocked, in order to use fastboot to flash.

If this is not the case, then you should need to use a different mode, the EDL mode, also called QHUSB-9008.

You can try, firstly, by booting in stock recovery, formatting data, sometimes this may fix the bootloop issue.

T_Hladiuk

Dec 3, 2022
Excuse me, but, there are a lot of errors and misunderstanding in your post, so you should need to sort them out, to can advance on this.

Fastboot doesn't need to be enabled, fastboot is always there, you just need to press the right buttons to send it to this mode.

USB debugging enables the ADB connection, most probably, you don't need it to fix your device.

Although this said, keep in mind that your device must have the bootloader unlocked, in order to use fastboot to flash.

If this is not the case, then you should need to use a different mode, the EDL mode, also called QHUSB-9008.

You can try, firstly, by booting in stock recovery, formatting data, sometimes this may fix the bootloop issue.
Sorry, you are right. I am not good at firmware and all the related stuff. I've updated the post. I was confused about 'fastboot' and 'bootloader'. I meant bootloader was not unlocked. But about EDL - Redmi 6 has MediaTek SoC, but still it has something similar to EDL mode. Anyway, you showed me what I can try to do next. I will try to use preloader like here https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...icked-redmi-note-9-merlin-hard-brick.4347025/
Thanks a lot!

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Sorry, you are right. I am not good at firmware and all the related stuff. I've updated the post. I was confused about 'fastboot' and 'bootloader'. I meant bootloader was not unlocked. But about EDL - Redmi 6 has MediaTek SoC, but still it has something similar to EDL mode. Anyway, you showed me what I can try to do next. I will try to use preloader like here https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...icked-redmi-note-9-merlin-hard-brick.4347025/
Thanks a lot!
Ok, I didn't check exactly the processor on Redmi 6, due to lack of time. Anyway, a MediaTek device is even easier to fix (in the paper). Qualcomm's devices have EDL (Emergency DownLoad) mode, and MTK has Download mode (apart from many more modes.)

You also, can follow this guide, with more visual insights https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...india-6s-using-spflash-tool-for-free.4222027/ of course replace carefully the files from the ones that are for your device.

And this tool also can be useful, to take a complete backup, after to try a thing https://github.com/bkerler/mtkclient

Be advised, that, in any case you have to make a complete format, in SPFT only use the Download option.

Just as a side note, even your bootloader is locked, you always can enter to fastboot mode, the case is that is almost useless, specially in this situation, because a Xiaomi locked device can't be flashed through fastboot.
And to enter to fastboot mode, it's not the three buttons, you have within the various options, as ADB and commands are not available, you can enter manually, either, pressing the volume minus + PWR at same time, or pressing the volume minus button, at same time you connect your device to your PC.

Last edited: